• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima coming to PC May 16th

BlackTron

Be that as it may that all these ports dissipates Sony's brand value: it doesn't matter nearly as much because MS fell first.

Sony is now the only option for a solid all-around console that plays games on your TV, and no matter how many games end up on PC that won't change. That market that wants to use a console no matter what is still locked-in. This doesn't mean that they should be intentionally shooting themselves in the foot and creating weakness to exploit, but at least it is far safer than if Xbox was actually still in the game.

Of course, that's just right now. I'm a mainly Nintendo/PC guy who dabbles into Xbox and PS. Just to have a decent TV box in addition that I don't have to configure/switch inputs, and exclusive games. I think Switch 2 could get worryingly close to "decent TV box" and exclusives from both platforms are congregating on PC. Sure Sony has a lock on the traditional console, but I fear the demographic of people insisting on having one will just slowly get smaller.

DrFigs

Unless you are a Nintendo fan, I think most console gamers who obsess over these things need to just consider all their exclusives to be timed. Better for their mental health.

Just Saying Bernie Sanders GIF by Saturday Night Live
but why so many games in 1 year? they're gonna have more pc releases this year than releases on ps5.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Unless you are a Nintendo fan, I think most console gamers who obsess over these things need to just consider all their exclusives to be timed. Better for their mental health.

Agree. Sooner or later stuff from Sony and Microsoft is going to end up in other places. It isn worth fighting over any more. If someone id upset that a corporation betrayed them they should be asking why they are loyal to a corporation to begin with.

Fredrik

the fact that every AAA game from them the past 7 years has come to PC, including all the ones from PS5 launch onwards, is,...well, that is going to set certain expectations going forward which will be very hard to reverse-train people on, I'll say that much.

And I'm more curious if those trained expectations result in shifting of spending habits and new hardware purchases from a certain segment of the enthusiasts base with dual platforms (console/PC), plus software & services habits.
For me it is. Haven’t bought FFXVI and Spider-Man 2 yet because I expect them to come to PC soon. I’m just tired of double dipping. I have GT7, Forbidden West and Ghost of Tsushima left. After that I’m done with that nonsense of jumping in early on a console release only to want it on PC a couple years later at the same price.

Last edited:
I am a patient guy, and I could have saved a lot of money from buying this 500 dollar console + the subscription fees if i knew the games would be playable elsewhere.

That’s only true if you already have a high end PC

If not…I don’t see the savings. You’d just be forced otherwise to play the long wait and see game everyone else is enjoying the game day and date

For me it is. Haven’t bought FFXVI and Spider-Man 2 yet because I expect them to come to PC soon. I’m just tired of double dipping. I have GT7, Forbidden West and Ghost of Tsushima left. After that I’m done with that nonsense of jumping in early on a console release only to want it on PC a couple years later at the same price.

Then you’ll wait. And they’ll have a customer later. So that habits have changed but the cash flow is just timing

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

If not…I don’t see the savings. You’d just be forced otherwise to play the long wait and see game everyone else is enjoying the game day and date
You don’t need a super high spec pc to play PS ports. Not everyone who games on PC cares about playing a mid range PS settings or 4090 ultra settings. just as not every console gamer cares about specs too as there’s still tons of people playing PS4 and Xbox One from last gen that use jaguar cpus.

PC users can upgrade at anytime, so as time passes and people upgrade due to wanting a better system or their current system breaks and need to get a new one, the specs will naturally go up.

Last edited:

DrFigs

the long wait is getting shorter, and won't even be there for some games. but my issue is rather than splitting my time between my pc and ps5, i could have just spent more money on my pc. the cost is already sunk, i already have the console. but i won't be getting the next one.

I'd agree if PC only had PS5's catalogue, but considering you can play Xbox, Switch, and PC exclusives there too, he's got a point.

About this news, Nixxes is cooking faster and faster, they were doing Horizon's port too right? guess they have 2 teams porting games now probably.

And there's not much left to port from the big games, TLOU2, GoW:R, GT7 and Spiderman 2, wonder what they'll do after that.

the long wait is getting shorter, and won't even be there for some games. but my issue is rather than splitting my time between my pc and ps5, i could have just spent more money on my pc. the cost is already sunk, i already have the console. but i won't be getting the next one.

It’s getting shorter?

Ghost took 4 years, Horizon took 2

Sounds like it’s getting longer

I can just get everything on PS5 and never have to wait for anything, nor do I need to shell out for a PC

Last edited:
It’s getting shorter?

I can just get everything on PS5 and never have to wait for anything, nor do I need to shell out for a PC
you're coping dude, it doesn't even matter how long it takes since people can play other games in the mean time. you realize people get so much games on steam sales that they have a backlog they never get to catch up right? I also wouldn't be surprised if day 1 gets there eventually looking at helldivers 2 being one already and the president of sony saying they want to be more aggressive with their games on pc.

DrFigs

It’s getting shorter?

i guess there's no evidence that wait times got shorter; of course there are day 1 releases and hiroki totoki wants to be more aggressive w/ the ports. but yeah i guess it's still a mix at this point. still the point is that i can wait. some can't but i'd be fine - knowing that they are guaranteed anyway.

you're coping dude, it doesn't even matter how long it takes since people can play other games in the mean time. you realize people get so much games on steam sales that they have a backlog they never get to catch up right? I also wouldn't be surprised if day 1 gets there eventually looking at helldivers 2 being one already and the president of sony saying they want to be more aggressive with their games on pc.

Coping is someone that has to wait to play games, I generally dont

And the concept of a backlog is stupid. Buy a massive amount of cheap steam games that you’ll never realistically play

Fuck that, if I want to play a masterpiece I’ll play it as soon as I can

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s getting shorter?

Nice try at cherry picking games because Sony is still going through its back catalogue. Demons souls and GT7 will come too at some point.

Just to show that Sonys stance on game timing can be zero, Helldivers 2 and mlb 24 are day one. And mlb is on competing consoles too. And some of those compilation remakes like Nathan drake and last of us part 1 were like 6 months.

As for PC, there’s way more PC games not on PS than the other way around. Pretty sure there aren’t too many PC riggers dumping their PC for a PS5. If there were, Sony wouldn’t slash their PS5 unit estimates last earnings. And why would they? The PS game will come to PC at some point anyway. If anything, it seems PS gamers are going PC. PC gaming is on the uptrend, PS sales forecasts majorly missing. It was so bad it sunk the company stock 10% in a week.

Last edited:

DrFigs

Coping is someone that has to wait to play games, I generally dont

And the concept of a backlog is stupid. Buy a massive amount of cheap steam games that you’ll never realistically play

Fuck that, if I want to play a masterpiece I’ll play it as soon as I can
okay now you're raising some good points. there are gonna be exceptions... :pie_thinking: i would most definitely buy tlou3 day one; the next god of war, etc. and if gta 7 comes to consoles first, would i really be the loser who waits for the pc port? probably not.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I like this multiplatform trajectory, there are so many positive changes happening. Day one is next.
It totally is. Sony might make money off me as I’m considering getting Helldivers 2 when the servers are settled and it goes on sale. They are releasing content too, so I don’t mind waiting. The longer I wait the more free content comes out. And even better the game supports Xbox gamepads. So I’ll just plug mine in.

Win win for everyone. I play a game on PC where I don’t have to spend money on a PS5, steam makes some money and sony makes most of the money. Free cash as I’m an incremental PC customer.

Last edited:
okay now you're raising some good points. there are gonna be exceptions... :pie_thinking: i would most definitely buy tlou3 day one; the next god of war, etc. and if gta 7 comes to consoles first, would i really be the loser who waits for the pc port? probably not.

It can be situational if you own both

I would never want to wait to play something like DS2 or FF7R

If they ever go day and date PC I’d probably switch, but that’s not happening so console only for me

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So 5 years? I mean, this isn’t making your argument that it’s getting shorter
Those are old games still waiting to be ported as Sony is almost done exhausted their entire catalog for porting.

Helldivers being a big selling day one pc game will make the execs speed up ports. They finally got the proof what sales can be achieved when you do a day one port. And if a cheeky starship troopers game can get this kind of following, and even games like GOW sold a couple million copies being a 4 year old port, just imagine how good sales can be if they are day one.

They’ll come day one and you know it. Just a matter of when. They’ve basically already inched their way to fully portiing to PC except big day one SP games.

- Create PC PS studio
- Buy studios known for ports
- Day one PC GAAS (H2 is the start)
- Day one Xbox/switch ports (MLB)
- Some PC ports are down to 6 months (Drake collection and Lou part 1)
- Even PSVR2 support is coming to PC

All the signs are there. At some point day one SP will come.

Last edited:

Braag

Man, some people are really riled up over this. Yeah we get it, you're mad that others get to play a game you liked. You try to make sense of this tragedy by saying you played the game long time ago and all we have to do is wait, thus you are better. Okay, cool. You have clearly done the right thing by choosing PS5 as your primary platform, the PC community is glad that you are enjoying your PS5.
Now can we discuss PC specific games without you guys coping up the whole place?

StereoVsn

Yeah, will probably double dip despite that $60 price. I want to see how high I can crank up the image quality.

Also, those black and white graphics setting for battles in Ultrawide are going to look like a god damn movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Terenty

I was planning on playing one of the recent AC games but with this announcement, GoT also becomes an option. What, in your opinion, are the major shortcomings of GoT compared to the open world AC games?
I'm the wrong person to ask since the last AC game I played was Syndicate and I haven't played GoT cus it looks uninspired imho.

Holammer

Those are old games still waiting to be ported as Sony is almost done exhausted their entire catalog for porting.

Helldivers being a big selling day one pc game will make the execs speed up ports. They finally got the proof what sales can be achieved when you do a day one port. And if a cheeky starship troopers game can get this kind of following, and even games like GOW sold a couple million copies being a 4 year old port, just imagine how good sales can be if they are day one.

They’ll come day one and you know it. Just a matter of when. They’ve basically already inched their way to fully portiing to PC except big day one SP games.

- Create PC PS studio

My argument for eventual day one is marketing. It has a shelf life, so imagine spending 50M+ on marketing only to have the effect wither away for a year or two before you release on PC? We also have the increased trending potential when more people talk about the game, I reckon the reception and all the hoopla associated with Helldivers on PC contributed to driving sales on PS5.

GHG

Day one double dip on PC for me. Never got round to playing the expansion on PS5 so I'll blast through this again and play it in all it's glory.

Fabieter

Certainly, it's essential to reassess future investments in an ecosystem. I've personally switched from iOS, abandoning purchases without hesitation. The focus should be on the current value and benefits rather than past investments.

I have around 400 games on Steam and various other PC storefronts. I'd readily switch to alternatives if I don't find value or encounter issues with the storefronts.

Sunken costs shouldn't influence decisions regarding what's best for your future.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It can be situational if you own both

I would never want to wait to play something like DS2 or FF7R

If they ever go day and date PC I’d probably switch, but that’s not happening so console only for me
Good for you. Now since this is a PC thread, why are you here telling us that you already played the game and you won’t get it on PC or get a gaming PC at all? Enjoy your game on PlayStation and that’s it.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You really think those that waited 4 years for GoT will suddenly go and buy a PS5 for GoT 2?

Confused Emma Stone GIF by SAG Awards

While its true that generally speaking very few people buy into a console ecosystem for 4 year old games (which is the major reason why Xbox always struggled), on the other hand most people buy consoles because they want to play the exciting titles out now, recently, or coming up to release.

As per usual the problem is failing to realize that consoles appeal to a different type of buyer than those wanting gaming PC's.
There is some crossover, but ultimately while you can't beat PC for power and flexibility, you can't beat consoles for ease of use, maintenance, and accessibility.

More to the point though, if this does well on PC the franchise gets more exposure and interest. To the benefit of both formats.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

- Create PC PS studio

Before the PS5 gen is over, there will be at least one SP focused Sony game released day and date on PC, mark my words.

DeaDPo0L84

Your two points of argument are:

1) You'll have to wait for X amount of time
2) Other people will be enjoying it on launch day

Most people honestly don't care. FOMO meant much more when we had no doubts that the games would be console exclusive. There was never an option to simply wait for it to release elsewhere. Especially now with how games get updated over time there is definitely no rush to play an at launch product versus waiting a few months for a more complete experience. Even more so when you can usually wait a year and buy the vanilla game+DLC at a discounted price. There are also tons of 3rd party games to play during the meantime, it's not like we rely specifically on exclusives when it comes to playing videogames.

Last edited:
Top Bottom