• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier |OT| The Future Is Here... Finally

MacBosse

Co-op campaign? SOLD!

Can't say I like the camouflage thingy ... too futuristic for my taste. But I'll get over it if it fits the gameplay I guess.

monkeyhat

but mark-execute really isn't one of those things. You're expected in GRAW to know how to aim and to take down multiple foes quickly through skill, not a shortcut. Although keep in mind that GRAW 2 had some of these elements, where you'd mark a target and have one or more of your AI squadmates take them down.

The tagging of enemies in GRFS is pretty different to SCC's mark and execute - largely down to the fact that you're working with a squad. The way tagging works depends on whether the enemies are aware of your presence or not.

When enemies don't know you're there, shooting one and letting others see him die or find the body causes them to engage you. So when a whole bunch of enemies are standing around chatting in an area, the best way to take them down quietly is to use tagging.

You tag up to four enemies either using your scope or drone, then wait a few seconds for the other three members of your team to find places with good line of sight for headshots (they let you know verbally when they're ready, and you see blue AR lines of their expected trajectories). Then you scope onto the remaining bad guy yourself and, when you pull the trigger, your squad fire at the same time to take down everyone simultaneously.

If there are less than four bad guys tagged, you can just let your squad line up then issue a fire command by holding down the right bumper. Of course, there ARE times when you come up against more than four bad guys in an area - then you need to use a bit more skill.

When enemies ARE aware of your presence, tagging just highlights the bad guys to your squad mates - so it becomes a kind of "focus fire on my target" command.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
That whole Coco thing was embarrassing, such a stupid PR move.

Kind of odd they announced DLC before launch, at least there's more weapons in it...

The tagging of enemies in GRFS is pretty different to SCC's mark and execute - largely down to the fact that you're working with a squad. The way tagging works depends on whether the enemies are aware of your presence or not.

When enemies don't know you're there, shooting one and letting others see him die or find the body causes them to engage you. So when a whole bunch of enemies are standing around chatting in an area, the best way to take them down quietly is to use tagging.

You tag up to four enemies either using your scope or drone, then wait a few seconds for the other three members of your team to find places with good line of sight for headshots (they let you know verbally when they're ready, and you see blue AR lines of their expected trajectories). Then you scope onto the remaining bad guy yourself and, when you pull the trigger, your squad fire at the same time to take down everyone simultaneously.

If there are less than four bad guys tagged, you can just let your squad line up then issue a fire command by holding down the right bumper. Of course, there ARE times when you come up against more than four bad guys in an area - then you need to use a bit more skill.

When enemies ARE aware of your presence, tagging just highlights the bad guys to your squad mates - so it becomes a kind of "focus fire on my target" command.
That sounds really good actually. Its not an easy button as much as it is a squad command. I can dig it.

Do you guys think that 10 maps is too little? Looking at multiplayer footage and the great response of the beta, it looks like a blast and really fun.

But 10 maps don't feel like a lot. I know there will be DLC but it would be nice if it had 16 out of the box and than DLC added to boost it up to 20.

I've not played GRAW (or it's been that many years since I have), but the beta was very close-quarters in nature and it worked well.

I have a strong feeling that - much like, say, Gears of War 3 - the SP/campaign and adversarial MP in GR:FS will basically feel like two completely different games.

I watched a developer walk-through on GT the other day and it was insultingly boring. You know that 'mark & execute' mechanic in SC: Conviction that no one liked? Well, it's back and you can designate a total of 4 targets now! COOL, YO. The 7 minute demo boiled down to 'cloak > highlight enemies > press a button > move up > repeat'. And I'm not condemning the game to being comprised solely of that, but hey, it was a developer trying to show off the game.

It'll be a CoD campaign; I hate CoD campaigns.

yes MP is close-quarters oriented for the most part, but the campaign as it progresses is a pretty wide open affair

I agree the "Sync Shot" seems to make the singleplayer experience kind of boring and repetitive due to it's usefulness. I have yet to see your CPU A.I. miss a shot in any videos so it's pretty much an automatic 4 kills whenever you want AND it slows down time so you can even react fast enough to take a 5th or 6th guy out without them getting a shot off. Playing with human teammates will eliminate this monotony as you will actually have to line and time the shots for real, which should be fun in itself.

Regarding the Dev walkthrough, check out the YouTube channel I created and browse some of the other gameplays videos. I've compiled pretty much everything I could find on the web here, you should get a better idea of what to expect from the entirety of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/user/GAFGhostReconFS

Beta was great. Me and a friend who used to play GR and GRAW played it and had a blast.

I just don't understand why this game took so long to make and why it took them so long to make another mainline Ghost Recon game. Five years and 2 months ago was when GRAW 2 was released. WTF?

I can sort of understand the long wait for a new Rainbow Six game as the last one seemed like it had an identity crisis.

it took so long, because they ended up scrapping the first version of the game after it got universally panned after it's reveal at E3 2010. Features they had in mind were too sci-fi and took the game too far away from what Ghost Recon used to stand for.

They had stuff like bionic leg framework that made soldiers really fast runners and able to jump ridiculously high. Soldiers were equipped with shoulder-mounted heat seeking rocket-launchers, and they had some kind of "sync-up" system where if you two Ghosts stood back to back they could share class abilities like Voltron.

They took there time rethinking and remaking and while it is further away from what Ghost Recon originally started out, it looks like a pretty promising game to me

it's absolutely nothing like graw....

gameplay was sped up, actual sprint(similar to roadie run in gears), no lean and peak system, the biggest map in the game(mills) probably just a medium size map in previous ghost recon, guns handle like crap(to me they come off feeling like uncharted), no selective fire rate, no custom hosted rooms, to list a few.

It just didn't feel like ghost recon to me. Felt more like a third person rainbow six vegas/mixed with call of duty, but this is just my opinion and is the reason why i cancelled my pre-order.

You should try it out yourself. There has been mixed feelings amongst the ghost recon community. Some people enjoy it, others like myself hate it. redbox it or something for a day and see if you like it or not.

like I mentioned above, they have moved further and further away from what MADE Ghost Recon a successful franchise in the beginning, but I would disagree that it is nothing like GRAW or GRAW2. Fans of the series expressed the same disgust with GRAW before it came out when they found out about the UAV drone and marking enemies with big red diamonds. They added more technology and streamlined/dumbed down the squad/vehicle command stuff, but by in large its the same type of game.

I'm definately disappointed in a lot of the decisions they made as well as the MP stuff they are offering at launch is barebones compared to GRAW2 which was released years ago and they scrapped and/or changed a lot of stuff that the series has been known for.

I'm primarily excited about the Campaign and Co-op stuff. The beta didnt really do it for me as I've always been more of a fan of Ghost Recon's co-op stuff anyway, but I'll give it an honest shot with the retail. There definitely is some strategic depth to be had if they get the tuning right. Once people figure out how to play I think the small team size along with all that they put into the intel loop could lead to some fun play where players are forced to play "smarter" than you normally need to in something like COD or BF.

Do you guys think that 10 maps is too little? Looking at multiplayer footage and the great response of the beta, it looks like a blast and really fun.

But 10 maps don't feel like a lot. I know there will be DLC but it would be nice if it had 16 out of the box and than DLC added to boost it up to 20.

10 Maps seems fine out of the box, especially for such a limited amount of modes. If there's one thing Ubi did right over the years with Ghost Recon is DLC. GRAW2 got at least 4 significant map packs that took the amount maps from a very similar number that GRFS launched with to upwards of 50.

Ubi looks to be all-in with GRFS, rolling out this Ghost Recon Network App and Website, I think they have no choice but to support the shit out of it post-launch with content.

JackEtc

I was really excited for this game when they demo'd the beach mission at E3, and was pretty disappointed when I heard they scrapped all of that and redid it, but was still pretty interested.

I was on the fence about getting this game now vs. later after a price drop, until yesterday when I got an Amazon gift card as a graduation present, and after I watched the Ghost Recon Alpha film which sold me on getting it day 1.

I'm really hoping the visuals (on 360, not sure about PS3) have improved from the beta, though. It looked pretty rough when I played the beta, imho.

Would love an explanation on how co op will work if someone knows or finds out once they get there copy. This stuff confuses me everytime. I'm in Australia so still a week away for me.

Some q's;
Will it save my campaign progress with a friend seperate from my campaign progress
Playing solo?

Will it remember where a friend and I last got to or do we need to just pick missions etc?

Woorloog

Banned
it took so long, because they ended up scrapping the first version of the game after it got universally panned after it's reveal at E3 2010. Features they had in mind were too sci-fi and took the game too far away from what Ghost Recon used to stand for.

They had stuff like bionic leg framework that made soldiers really fast runners and able to jump ridiculously high. Soldiers were equipped with shoulder-mounted heat seeking rocket-launchers, and they had some kind of "sync-up" system where if you two Ghosts stood back to back they could share class abilities like Voltron.

They took there time rethinking and remaking and while it is further away from what Ghost Recon originally started out, it looks like a pretty promising game to me

So they took out all the cool stuff? I did wonder last year why the game looked so... mundane compared to what we had been told earlier. Dammit.
Ah well, i guess i'll wait for reviews and impressions before deciding whether i'm interesting in this or not.

bradigor

Embargo lifts on the 22nd.

Have a copy at the moment, getting stuck into the single player before trying the online.

monkeyhat

That sounds really good actually. Its not an easy button as much as it is a squad command. I can dig it.
Exactly! I too had concerns that the adaptive camo and sync-shot would be win-buttons, but they both click in the context of the game. The sync-shot / tagging feels like a more streamlined and immediate way of doing squad commands (in fact it reminds me of the good bits of BiA in the way you can use your squad to distract enemies while you flank them). The camo only works if you're crouched or doing cover-to-cover moves - and even then, enemies will still see you if you're in their line of sight for too long. Once you've been engaged by enemies, the camo doesn't really help at all.

Anyone know what the head customization is for signature edition?

Does that mean ONLY that edition allows you to change the head of soldier (including "you"?) or just that it adds more options on top of the other editions of the game.

Anyone know what the head customization is for signature edition?

Does that mean ONLY that edition allows you to change the head of soldier (including "you"?) or just that it adds more options on top of the other editions of the game.

from what I've seen you only unlock about 5 different "headgears" for each class as you progress thru

the head customization from the Signature Edition gives you a bunch to choose from right from the start (I'd imagine its 8 per faction class) since there are 6 "unique" classes with 3 Ghost and 3 Bodark in total.

no adding your face to the soldier or anything like that...

I never got to play the beta but how does it play compared to other TPS's (I heard its pretty much nothing like GRAW which I have the second one) because I'm interested in getting it. Is it like Gears with the cover or fluid like Uncharted 2?

highrider

Banned
will be getting this on ps3 day 1. i'm generally not a military shooter guy but ghost recon games have always been good. hope the campaign is solid.

I am still debating on this and Max Payne. I loved the beta for this but Rockstar is also pretty kick ass. I am going to kick this one around for a few days.

geeko

I never got to play the beta but how does it play compared to other TPS's (I heard its pretty much nothing like GRAW which I have the second one) because I'm interested in getting it. Is it like Gears with the cover or fluid like Uncharted 2?

I felt the cover system was similar to Gears. My buddy who doesn't play much games kept calling it a cross between COD and Gears. I sorta agree.

I felt the cover system was similar to Gears. My buddy who doesn't play much games kept calling it a cross between COD and Gears. I sorta agree.

I would more say that it's a cross between Gears and Battlefield 3. It doesn't share the exaggerated weightlessness of CoD games, which is something I loathe, so that's good.

The cover is snappy and "thwack-y" like a Gears game, albeit not as much; and then you have vaulting and sliding into prone and rolling into prone... The soldiers are actually very nimble and movement on the whole is quite unique and fun, though it takes some getting used to.

There were a couple of FUCK YES moments in the beta where I was being shot at from an unknown position and managed to round some cover just before dying. Assuming that they'd be closing in on my position, I decided to throw caution to the wind, dive-rolled-to-prone back out from cover and sure enough, he was there, shitting himself - and with a bullet in his face shortly after. It was awesome.

I've been playing GRAW1 on the PC and it's pretty mediocre. The worst things about it are the terrible AI and the scarcity of enemies. Hopefully this is a lot better; it's been 6 years after all.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Another game where i have to wait weeks to get the PC version while my peasant friends show off with their sub FHD game....i hate waiting for releases when i know my friends are already playing the game.
Max Payne, Ghost Recon you have hurt me....you have hurt me greatly

P.S I hope this screenshot of the PC version was taken at Medium setting and/or with the AA off.
Cuz downsampled and it still looks jaggy as fuck is very very unnerving
3KTfi.jpg

9lsWY.jpg

faridmon

I've been playing GRAW1 on the PC and it's pretty mediocre. The worst things about it are the terrible AI and the scarcity of enemies. Hopefully this is a lot better; it's been 6 years after all.

It was amazing when it first came out on the consoles, but yeah, the technology have moved on. However, it is still one of the few tactical shooters out there on consoles.

I am looking forward when the time comes right to get this.

I've added the known codes to unlock handguns on the Ghost Recon Network site to the OP:

http://ghostreconnetwork.ubi.com/en-US

• Five-SeveN CM = Cypr-2
  • Wild Boar = ULTERIOR FEUDS
  • Defender = thisgunshashugeKick

The code unlock features appears to be down right now, but I was able to confirm the 1st 2 codes work when I input them last week, the 3rd was just uncovered today over on the game's official forums

OrangeOak

It was amazing when it first came out on the consoles, but yeah, the technology have moved on. However, it is still one of the few tactical shooters out there on consoles.

I am looking forward when the time comes right to get this.

GRAW on consoles and GRAW on pc are two completely different games.

highrider

Banned
man, i'm surprised at the lack of response to this game. then again max payne is pretty awesome. hey if anybody needs someone for co-op on ps3 add me. tag is in my info,

Artchur

So is it safe to assume a sub-80% metascore now? Pretty much anytime a AAA title has a embargo placed this close to it's release we can be sure that will be the case. At least, that is the trend I notice anyway.

Seems like publishers who know they are going to get good scores want that information out in advance.

Just food for thought.

So is it safe to assume a sub-80% metascore now? Pretty much anytime a AAA title has a embargo placed this close to it's release we can be sure that will be the case. At least, that is the trend I notice anyway.

Seems like publishers who know they are going to get good scores want that information out in advance.

Just food for thought.

i dont't know, I think it will score pretty good. The gaming press seemed to like it alot in all the preview articles and videos I've seen.

It's got a good length campaign that panders to both the dudebro audience and the smarter crowd at the same time. The multiplayer offering is a bit skimpy, especially compared to GRAW and GRAW2 which will hurt in reviews, but it has shown promise as something unique with the small sized teams and intel stuff. Just have to hope they have sorted out the connection and server issues that plagued the beta.

I'd expect low to mid 80's and some higher scores sprinkled in, but maybe I'm just biased.

How many player can play Co-op campaign?

4 Total, any combination of humans and A.I.
No split-screen co-op for the campaign though :(

cackhyena

It looks fun, but man is it ugly. Am I nuts thinking Ghost recon 1 and 2 blow this away visually? I remember being wowed by their graphics at the time.

OH GOD, why oh why did I click this thread (>___<)

Love the franchise but after dropping $200 for both Diablo3/Max Payne3, my gamer budget is more then maxed out for the month

Game looks awesome though and thanks for posting all the SP walkthrough vids Visualizer!

Top Bottom