• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters+Atari officially official, new images

Manager

(3rd of December update:
Scroll down ~70 posts for new images and trailer)

1463_0001.jpg

1463_0002.jpg

1463_0003.jpg

These images may look old, but it's because they're captured at very similar positions as the old ones.

ATARI TO PUBLISH AND DISTRIBUTE ‘GHOSTBUSTERS™: THE VIDEO GAME’

- AAA VIDEOGAME BASED ON BLOCKBUSTER GHOSTBUSTERS FILM FRANCHISE LAUNCHES WORLDWIDE ON SIX GAME SYSTEMS IN 2009 -

7 November 2008 – Atari, one of the world’s most recognized video game publishers, announced today the addition of the highly anticipated Ghostbusters: The Video Game to its 2009 release schedule. Working closely with Sony Pictures Consumer Products Inc. and acclaimed development studio Terminal Reality, Atari will bring this completely new story to advanced gaming platforms coinciding with the 25th anniversary celebration of the film’s original theatrical release. Ghostbusters: The Video Game, based on the smash hit motion picture franchise, also reunites original cast members to recapture the unique blend of humour and fright that established Ghostbusters as a pop culture sensation.

“Ghostbusters: The Video Game is a fantastic addition to Atari’s global line-up in 2009,” said Phil Harrison, President of Infogrames Entertainment, the parent company of Atari. “The title has built considerable anticipation and excitement among game fans for its high quality action and all-out mayhem. There’s no more thrilling Ghostbusting experience to be had, short of building your own proton pack.”

“We're thrilled to partner with Atari on Ghostbusters: The Video Game”, said Mark Caplan, Vice President of Licensing-Hardlines for Sony Pictures Consumer Products Inc. “As one of our studios’ most valued film franchises, we wanted to develop a video game that would be exciting for both new and old fans and with Atari we have a publisher that fully understands Ghostbusters, and is committed to producing engaging entertainment that fans will thoroughly enjoy.”

Ghostbusters: The Video Game was penned by original Ghostbusters writers Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd and reunites members of the original cast for the first time in 20 years. Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson lend their voices and in-game likenesses to the original story set two years after Ghostbusters II, with Manhattan once again overrun by ghosts and supernatural forces. The game also features performances from fan favourites such as William Atherton (Walter Peck), Annie Potts (Janine Melnitz) and Brian Doyle-Murray (portraying Mayor Jock Mulligan).

Atari will release the Ghostbusters: The Video Game for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®2 system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Windows® PC, Wii and Nintendo DS™. The launch will also leverage Atari’s worldwide distribution network to maximize the presence of Ghostbusters: The Video Game around the globe as Sony marks the film’s upcoming 25th anniversary. For more information on Atari’s entire line up visit www.atari.com.

2009 also marks the 25th Anniversary of the original theatrical release of Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II combined to gross over $500 million world-wide at the box office. The film spawned some of the most memorable comedic catch-phrases and scenes in motion picture history. To recognize this special milestone, Sony Pictures Consumer Products Inc has licensed the property for several new products to commemorate the anniversary, including: video games, toys, t-shirts, comic books, prop replicas, and a theme park attraction. In addition, the original Ghostbusters car (Ecto-1) has been fully restored with plans for special promotional appearances throughout the US. And for the first time ever, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II on Blu-rayTM disc.

The platform whoring and movie license don't bode too well though...

Here's hoping the Wii version has some damn fine controls to make up for the 007:QoS-style downgrade the game will no doubt get.

Should I even bother to hope for cell shading?

KevinCow

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:

Here's hoping the Wii version has some damn fine controls to make up for the 007:QoS-style downgrade the game will no doubt get.

The Wii/PS2 version is developed by a different team. It's by the guys who are doing Mushroom Men, if I remember correctly. It's not cel-shaded, but it does have a more cartoony style. From what I understand, it's pretty much a different game from the HD version, sharing only the story.

I don't think there have been any videos of the PS2/Wii version, but the HD version looks really promising. I wouldn't worry about platform whoring affecting the quality of the game.

Edit:

Check out the Developer Walkthrough videos here of the HD version, and some screens of the Wii version.

Wurm

Banned
Activision were fools to let this go. I genuinely do not understand why they dropped this and, hate it all you want but it makes a shit ton of cash, that 50 cent game.

Looks good, tbh I'm probably just onboard for the voices and music alone :lol

While that's true, licensed movie games made years after the films don't have to be rushed out to match a movie release. The Thing game was decent and came out years after the movie so I hope this game turns out the same way. Goldeneye came out after the film too. I know there are some awful after the fact movie games, but I think this one will end up being pretty good.

wsippel

Banned

The Wii version looks completely different:

ghostbusters-the-video-game-20080714032538762_640w.jpg

It's developed by Red Fly, and while it shares the same basic story, it's more bright, funny and cartoon like (basically the style the team wanted to use for a possible Ghostbusters CG movie as far as I know). It's also the only version with multiplayer (including coop) if I remember correctly.

wsippel said:
The Wii version looks completely different:

ghostbusters-the-video-game-20080714032538762_640w.jpg

It's developed by Red Fly, and while it shares the same basic story, it's more bright, funny and cartoon like (basically the style the team wanted to use for a possible Ghostbusters CG movie as far as I know). It's also the only version with multiplayer (including coop) if I remember correctly.
Awesome. I'll keep an eye on it then.

LaneDS

It's rare that I say this, but both versions of the game look pretty good. I'm glad they're not trying to emulate the PS3/360 version and trying a new look for the Wii and PS2 one.

And yes, excellent news. I think the game has a lot of potential, glad to see it'll be released after all. Thank you Phil Harrison?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
LaneDS said:
It's rare that I say this, but both versions of the game look pretty good. I'm glad they're not trying to emulate the PS3/360 version and trying a new look for the Wii and PS2 one.

And yes, excellent news. I think the game has a lot of potential, glad to see it'll be released after all. Thank you Phil Harrison?

More dev's should be doing this

Tr4nce

Ah, finally. I was starting to get worried. Anyway, the screenshot with the Staypuft Marshallow man looks different, because they have added some foam onto the buildings, which is ofcourse from shooting the SMM. Can't wait for this game!

Very intrigued about the Wii control scheme on this one, there's so much potential for it to be fun. Hopefully it will deliver.

witness

Awesome, definitely check this to the good guys at Atari who want to publish even though they wont be able to 'exploit' this title every year.....

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Just took a look at all the Wii artwork/screens on IGN, and saw this:

ghostbusters.jpg

Awesome! She REALLY terrified me when I first saw the original film. Glad she's going to be in it too.

Um, how did you come up with that conclustion? You play a rookie. The other GBs are on the second floor of that area when you fight that mini-boss.

ghibli99

Not bad... insane detail on the unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back... maybe *too* much. :)

I'll definitely be getting Ghostbusters on Blu-ray, though!

can't even remember the last atari game I bought/played. this seals the deal for 2 though, cuz I plan on getting both versions of ghostbusters! 1 of the 360/ps3 build (undecided as to which, will wait for comparisons/reviews), and also 1 for the Wii version

busting makes me feel good!

I'm keeping my expectations low as to avoid disappointment, but I don't know if I've ever been so excited about the potential for a licensed game as I am for this. If it's half as good as The Warriors then I'll be in heaven. It's great to see Atari finally confirm it.

Bizzyb

Banned
that last image is a little weird. Is someone holding his feet/legs??

Oh and that Wii version doesn't look too shabby....

jrricky

Banned
Great. :)

Offtopic: Why the hell did I just see an Ad when I clicked on this thread? It felt like I was going to IGNs website.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SovanJedi said:
Just took a look at all the Wii artwork/screens on IGN, and saw this:

ghostbusters.jpg

Awesome! She REALLY terrified me when I first saw the original film. Glad she's going to be in it too.

Looks good, but it makes me want LM2. :(

Apoc29

ghibli99 said:
Not bad... insane detail on the unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back... maybe *too* much. :)

The proton pack is supposed to act as your HUD, so it better be detailed :)

aparisi2274

this game will be an EPIC FAIL if I dont turn it on and hear Ray Parker Jr.'s "Ghostbusters"

too bad they didnt get moranis...

Darklord said:
This game is going to get 6's and 7's. That's it. I don't know why people think it'll be so amazing.
Not that review scores are to be trusted generally but I agree that the videos made it look average and like your typical TPS with a Ghostbusters coating. I would've prefered it to be more of an action adventure, I think that would've fit the license better.

People are excited over this because they like the movies and the story could very well deliver. But if the gameplay isn't up there I'd rather have them make a CG movie tbh.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Phife Dawg said:
But if the gameplay isn't up there I'd rather have them make a CG movie tbh.

Aren't they doing just that with Ghostbusters 3?

Top Bottom