• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters+Atari officially official, new images

Yerolo

A bit of a blurb regarding the multiplayer for the 360 & PS3 versions:

Shacknews has learned that developer Threewave Software is building the multiplayer component for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Terminal Reality's Ghostbusters.

"At Threewave we're working on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of multiplayer," said Threewave product manager Stephane Morichere-Matte.
Though company reps declined to further detail the modes, the game's online component was originally slated to include a cooperative mode alongside standard competitive multiplayer offerings. Atari is planning to reveal the modes at an event next month.

Threewave Software is known for its contractual multiplayer work. The company was founded by veterans of the Threewave CTF mod for Quake, one of the earliest examples of successful capture-the-flag gameplay in a shooter.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57164

SuperJay

New Wii screen courtesy of AP?

3a98106f-51ec-43cf-a6df-8aa3cfc0e5f6.rp600x350.jpg

DoctorWho said:
That looks a lot better but the mouth animations are still off.

This blows. Depending on the engine their using and if the cut-scenes are real-time, when you transfer the animations, the engine will delete some keys of animations to down-size it so it won't take too much space.

Sad.

So if you've ever seen a game with some bad animations, especially from big companies, it has to do with the engine most of the times. Not the animator's fault. ;-)

Sadist

The Ghostbusters movies are one my personal favourites and now Alyssa Milano has role in the game? I am SO there.

The fact that they got the main group back is what makes this a must buy for me. Loved the Ghostbusters as a kid and even now (though I enjoy part two a bit less these days... maybe it's the music not being as great as one's...).

FoxHimself said:
HAHAHA! How many times can you say "UUUH" in ten minutes? 158 times, that's how many. Yes, I counted. That's one uh every four second or so. So annoying.

LO uhh L. I uhh never had the uhh uhh intention of uh watching that until you uhh said uhh that. I watched it and uhh couldn't uhh uhh get through 25 seconds uhh.

Edit: If you've seen it, you'll know how to read my post lol. That "uhh" will never leave my head.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
LO uhh L. I uhh never had the uhh uhh intention of uh watching that until you uhh said uhh that. I watched it and uhh couldn't uhh uhh get through 25 seconds uhh.

Edit: If you've seen it, you'll know how to read my post lol. That "uhh" will never leave my head.

I like how he sometimes says "UUUH" two or three times in a row. What's up with that?

gutter_trash said:
tell him about the Twinkie

*the Wii version's cartoon models look great.
Granted that I may get the PS3 version, I am still curious about the Wii controls.
I'm hoping for something similar to what I imagine that Luigi's Mansion would be like with Wii controls. Ya know?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
MoonsaultSlayer said:
The fact that they got the main group back is what makes this a must buy for me. Loved the Ghostbusters as a kid and even now (though I enjoy part two a bit less these days... maybe it's the music not being as great as one's...).

Maybe it's because it is one of the most disappointing sequel ever, of an iconic comedy movie nontheless?

That and Gremlins 2 (yeah, I didn't buy in that crappy satire, sorry Joe), I'll never forget them for what they did to my childhood memories :'-(
I mean, when the teaser trailer for GB2 (the ghost's symbol appearing and making a "2" with his fingers, with no title at the end or anything else whatsoever... fantastic!) started being shown on TVs and I catched it for the first time, well, I remember that I almost crapped my pants, talk about being hyped... and in return they gave me a fucking Christmas TV-Movie while trying to render all my fave characters as lame as possible.
One thing I'm sure, that movie was more than a hint for what Ramis and Aykroyd had in mind for their own future... maybe it's a good thing GB3 never materialized.

Dash Kappei said:
Maybe it's because it is one of the most disappointing sequel ever, of an iconic comedy movie nontheless?

That and Gremlins 2 (yeah, I didn't buy in that crappy satire, sorry Joe), I'll never forget them for what they did to my childhood memories :'-(
I mean, when the teaser trailer for GB2 (the ghost's symbol appearing and making a "2" with his fingers, with no title at the end or anything else whatsoever... fantastic!) started being shown on TVs and I catched it for the first time, well, I remember that I almost crapped my pants, talk about being hyped... and in return they gave me a fucking Christmas TV-Movie while trying to render all my fave characters as lame as possible.
One thing I'm sure, that movie was more than a hint for what Ramis and Aykroyd had in mind for their own future... maybe it's a good thing GB3 never materialized.

I know what you mean. I was just being nice about it in case there were fans in here lol. I actually would chose not to watch it. I bought the 2 pack DVD and thought: "This movie still holds up today" about the first and "God, I never liked this one" about the second.

Come blu-ray release, I really hope I pick up only part one and not both in some double pack. It's not worth it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
MoonsaultSlayer said:
I know what you mean. I was just being nice about it in case there were fans in here lol. I actually would chose not to watch it. I bought the 2 pack DVD and thought: "This movie still holds up today" about the first and "God, I never liked this one" about the second.

Come blu-ray release, I really hope I pick up only part one and not both in some double pack. It's not worth it.

Yeah, same here.
I even bought the 1 disc only UK release cause the re1 US and Reg2 Euro release had a lame cover art instead of the classic ghost symbol... Ghostbuster 1 is one of my favourite movies EVER, when I was a kid I must have watched it at least 20 times, I even knew all the lines :)
It was a fantastic movie for kids AND adults... with the sequel they went with "let's make it as kids friendly as possible", much like Return of the Jedi, without undesrtanding that kids LOVED them movie as it was: I mean, kids are a lot smarter than what the Hollywood's and the Games' industries make them out to be.

Dash Kappei said:
Yeah, same here.
I even bought the 1 disc only UK release cause the re1 US and Reg2 Euro release had a lame cover art instead of the classic ghost symbol... Ghostbuster 1 is one of my favourite movies EVER, when I was a kid I must have watched it at least 20 times, I even knew all the lines :)
It was a fantastic movie for kids AND adults... with the sequel they went with "let's make it as kids friendly as possible", much like Return of the Jedi, without undesrtanding that kids LOVED them movie as it was: I mean, kids are a lot smarter than what the Hollywood's and the Games' industries make them out to be.

There was a time in my childhood where oi watched part 1 at least 2 times every weekend while at my grandmother's and listened to the cassette single of the theme song every minute I was home. By the time 2 came out, I may have grown out of it or something because i didn't care. Now I know why lol.

You mentioned the cover art. Man, when I see the old images and movie posters for the movie, I NEED to watch it. Unfortunately, I have that lame ass Green ooze 2-pack dvd with the slim cases.

This game can't come soon enough.....

NR1

gb2_flightsuit_bonuslg.jpg

Gamestop offers Ghostbusters II in-game uniform for 360/PS3 versions!

Reserve Ghostbusters and receive an exclusive in-game Ghostbusters 2 Flight Suit. The new suit updates your ghost busting look for the rigorous fashion standards of 1991, is more breathable than ever, and makes a statement of individuality without saying a word. This feature is available in single player and multiplayer modes. Available for online and in-store customers while supplies last.

Online Customers / Store Customers: Exclusive Flight Suit will come packaged with the game.

Link: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73003

Reserve Ghostbusters and receive an exclusive in-game Ghostbusters 2 Flight Suit. The new suit updates your ghost busting look for the rigorous fashion standards of 1991, is more breathable than ever, and makes a statement of individuality without saying a word. This feature is available in single player and multiplayer modes. Available for online and in-store customers while supplies last.

Online Customers / Store Customers: Exclusive Flight Suit will come packaged with the game.

multiplayer eh? have any details on multiplayer been revealed? I remember reading that the PS3 version will have exclusive content, but if there's online multiplayer I may go with 360 instead so I can play with my friends (most of them don't have PS3s)

Gryphter said:
multiplayer eh? have any details on multiplayer been revealed? I remember reading that the PS3 version will have exclusive content, but if there's online multiplayer I may go with 360 instead so I can play with my friends (most of them don't have PS3s)

If you don’t know, Threewave Software has made great shooter content for a long time. Threewave developed the original Threewave Capture the Flag (“CTF”) mod for Quake, and followed it up with work on top brands as Quake III, Doom 3, Jedi Academy, Soldier of Fortune, Turok, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Army of Two.

Over the next month or so, however, we got more and more excited about the possibilities. Co-op gameplay was first and foremost in our minds; everyone wanted to play as the “actual” Ghostbusters team. We came up with a co-op design that maximized teamwork while allowing players to also compete among themselves, framed against the theme of “a day in the life of the Ghostbusters Team.” Players would travel around the City, doing Ghostbusting jobs to make the most cash. “Job Types” (modes) such as Containment and Survival were designed to appeal to all sorts of gamers, not just hardcore shooter fans. And of course the game needed to be replay-able; no game would play exactly the same way twice.

Serving All Your Supernatural Elimination Needs
For Ghostbusters Multiplayer we wanted to include featured locations from the Single Player game, but adapt them for Multiplayer use. All of the maps are designed to suit a majority of job types; it was critical that we allowed enough space for more enemies, more players, and more action! Threewave has some of the best level designers in the business and their expertise was critical in this regard.

Refining the different Job types took a long time. We had a good idea of how we wanted each to play but since we had no real network code for several months, our prototypes changed a lot over time. Once we were able to test the different Jobs, we quickly iterated on the rules and came to some solid decisions on what we felt was the most fun.

We also soon discovered we needed a few extra things to keep players challenged in Co-op Multiplayer as compared to the single player game. Four “live” Ghostbusters ended up completely destroying the AI ghosts! Teamwork was something we needed to focus on; in the Single Player game the other Ghostbusters help you, we wanted to make sure players did better by working together in Multiplayer.

Over the course of prototyping and development we decided to introduce limited ammunition and powerups; this choice really allowed us to reward teamwork and create some unique Multiplayer “Ghostbusters” technology items, such as the Proton Accelerator and the Ghost Shrinker.

We also added some unique Multiplayer AI “aggro” behaviours to challenge players even more. Some of these include ghosts that go berserk or even split in two when angered.

Persistent online ranking, automatic difficulty scaling and Most Wanted Ghosts to find and catch were added to keep players coming back to play again and again.

In Ghostbusters, ghost wrangling and trapping is one of the key elements players do over and over. The first time we tried Multiplayer wrangling, we knew we were on to something fun. In the Single Player game, if there are more AI players holding a ghost, the less the ghost struggles. We emphasized and added to this feature for Multiplayer Ghost Wrangling. If players work together, ghosts go down faster, and everyone gets a better score.

I Ain’t Afraid of No Code!
As our gameplay became more focused and successful, our tech team overcame what had earlier seemed technically impossible.

We developed interaction rules to limit (and hide!) the number of active physics objects to maintain network traffic and performance without sacrificing gameplay. An AI spawning and Job type system was developed to reduce the amount of hand scripting we needed to do while complying with Multiplayer requirements. Our programmers worked hard with our internal QA team to really make the Multiplayer game shine.

http://blogs.ign.com/Atari_Ghostbusters/2009/03/19/115330/

^oh snap! thanks for the info! hmm, this may be a difficult decision for me indeed... guess we'll have to see what the "exclusive ps3 content" is exactly

NR1

Amazing New Videos and screens released across the web:

ghostbusters-the-video-game-20090409053259437.jpg

PS3 Screens: http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/142/14218851/imgs_1.html

Wii Screens: http://media.wii.ign.com/media/142/14218855/imgs_1.html

IGN PS3- Mass Hysteria Feature Video
(Includes interview with Dan A, PS3 footage, talk about Ghostbuster 3 movie, ect...)

GameTrailers: Atari Interview
(Interview with game developer, very nice footage of Stay Puff and the new Weapons)

GameTrailers: Xbox 360 Walkthrough- Papi Sargassi's Hotel Bar

Wii Walkthrough (1 of 3)- Library

Wii Walkthrough (2 of 3)- Library

Wii Walkthrough (3 of 3)- Library

EDIT:

Official Box Arts:

Wii:
230523b.jpg

360/ PS3:
200607b.jpg

BDGAME

I love ghostbusters and 80's movies. If this game sells well, it can open the doors for more movies from this decade become games.

So I hope for the HD and the Wii version sold well enough.

Oh, the new videos look smooth, see how the controls work in the Wii version only make me whant to play more. This game is in my top priority game right now.

Ghostbusters gets an expensive limited edition

Included in the Slimer Edition:
An exclusive Slimer bust designed and created by the original movie sculptor, Steve Johnson. Comes complete with a certificate of authenticity signed by the sculptor himself.
Exclusive Ghostbusters Minimates. Only be available with the Slimer Edition.
Exclusive Ghostbusters Gamer Graffix Console Skins.
Exclusive Ecto 1 Key Chain with lights and sound.

2ciefkw.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0025UMVU0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$130 for the PS3/360 versions and $110 for the Wii version.

Top Bottom