• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI Reviews: Castlevania LoS 2 - 6.0, LR:FFXIII - 7.0, DKC:TF - 9.25

No Thief review.

Review for Castlevania was extremely short, hell shorter than some one page reviews cause the pictures take up the entire page on the Castlevania review. Jeff Cork is the reviewer.

Will put up DK TF info soon.

Shinta

Banned
Catlevania: LoS 2:
[*]Claims nearly every attempt this game makes to "stray from its fundamental kill room formula ends in failure".
Why? I enjoyed the exploration in the first game, and the puzzles. This seems to have more.
[*]Reviewer loved the first game, said "Unfortunately this sequel is as fresh as a whiff of garlic breath".
Why? I don't know what "fresh" means.
[*]Good new combat mechanics but enemies stun locking you out of combos from across the map while you fight with the camera.
So it's difficult and he sucks at the camera controls? Great, this sounds fantastic. Sounds like the same made up camera issues people kept saying Ninja Gaiden had when the camera was fully in the player's control the whole time.
[*]Reviewer hates the modern setting, its filled with generic alley ways, factory levels.
Honestly, I can see that being true. But it's not a dealbreaker for me.
[*]Says there was one stealth segment that was the worst of its class. The more traditional Castlevania settings are better.
One part in a long game. I think I'll survive.
[*]Says there is one great level with the toy maker, outside of that most of the game is just ground previously covered in the first game.
I'm fine with that.
[*]"This shambling monstrosity is composed of chunks from other, better games"
Monstrosity? So it's a large game. Awesome. Most reviewers hate large games.

MormaPope

Banned
7.0 for lightning returns. Ouch.

That's honestly much higher than I expected. Wait until more people hear about the ending, I've never been one of those dude's that bashes a game based on it's ending, but holy moly Lightning Returns has a polarizing ending.

kmax

Wow, thought that this would score at least 8/10.

I have a feeling that Konami's going to have a bad year.

I enjoyed Mirror of Fate's gameplay but it is not an 8+ game by any stretch.

Yeah, I'm just... not too concerned about this. Guy is totally entitled to his experience, I just think I'll be more prone to enjoying it more. Hope so anyway.

I apologize. It was 4/10, not 3/10...

A FAN SCORNED!

Well, not sure if it's the same person or if all of GI's reviewers are nutjobs sooo yeah I'll just leave this one alone.

Derrick01

Banned
Reviews should be without numbers. Just give us the points with pros and cons.

If this review did that it'd probably leave everyone as confused as I was after reading it. It's a really short review and I can't figure out why he loved the first game and not this. I need a lot more in depth info than what was there.

Ahasverus

Review for Castlevania was extremely short, hell shorter than some one page reviews cause the pictures take up the entire page on the Castlevania review. Jeff Cork is the reviewer.

Fishy. You can't review a 20 hours game in half a page. I'm smelling another IGN situation "There is no castle and no Dracula" and lo and behold it did, 7 hours in.

meanspartan

So 8 for Bravely Default (not bad but I hoped for more, still buyin), 7 for Lightning Returns, and 6 for Castlevania.

GI feeling grumpy this month? LoL.

Why are we suddenly giving GI a shred of credibility? They have consistently had some of the worst reviews out there.

Especially action games.

MormaPope

Banned
No Thief review.

Will put up DK TF info soon.

Hmm.

If I had to take a gigantic guess, the reviewer rushed to finish the game and that messed with the pacing and flow of the game. Would explain why his criticisms are so harsh yet the game got a 6/10.

dugdug

Banned
I'm surprised he liked the first game, considering those are the same complaints people had the first time around.

I was already expecting it to get mixed reviews.

I'm surprised he liked the first game, considering those are the same complaints people had the first time around.

I was already expecting it to get mixed reviews.

That's what I'm also a little confused about. Reading those bulletpoints was like deja vu.

ironcreed

Banned
I am expecting a mixed bag of reviews anyway, so I'm not at all surprised. The first one was very divisive as well. Nothing new.

As a fan of the first one, I've been worried for a while that this was trying to be too many things and would lose itself trying to shake off that God of War comparison. I'm not saying this Game Informer review proves anything as they've reviewed a number of games much lower than I thought they deserved (while giving other games massively inflated scores), but this review certainly doesn't do anything to ease my concerns. Still treading carefully.

hank_tree

In fairness, I loved the original Lords of Shadow but the demo for LOS 2 was fucking terrible so this isn't a big shock.

Neiteio

Not surprised by the DKC score. Returns was the best platformer yet, better than the Raymans and Meat Boys and Marios. Tropical Freeze looks to improve on the formula.

Top Bottom