• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know what Gamespot needs or what kind of show Danny hopes to pull off.

The site is a rudderless ship with no captain. Just sailing around bumping into things.

Zaph

One thing to remember is that if GS were overhauled to the tastes of this thread it would be a much better site but would likely lose a significant proportion of it's core audience. It is to the credit of their bosses that they continue to let Danny run with his ideas, even though the traffic doesn't support it.
Yup. I keep expecting to hear some bad news from him, but it's impressive GS management actually gives him a chance to find an audience rather than letting it run for three months and calling it a failure.

Separating shills like Watters out in to a dedicated "sponsored content" division is smart too. Now they don't have to pretend.
Have they actually finally done that? Since I saw Chris Watters host that Blizzard thing, I was like "yup, he should never be in content with Danny & co ever again".

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Peter brown always seemed like a cool, knowledgeable dude. I bet if he worked for gb he'd make sure the old games show ran on time.

She's attractive and laughs uncontrollably. That's enough for most here.
Such a lazy argument. She's very good at what she does and is very likeable. She was great on the Bombcast the other week and that's always a test to see if you have the personality to hang with the best.

But she's not nearly as awesome as Danielle Riendeau who is clearly top of the female game journalists pile.

man, I want to watch AGDQ stuff, but I can't stand donation reading. I really wish they had a separate stream that didn't have that crap on there.

Am I weird for thinking that not even Mary is that great? The few times she was on UPF, I didn't think she was anything special.

Based on what you mentioned, not really. I recall her coming off as a 2K PR rep in the episode where they played Evolve. That said, she definitely has had her moments to shine on Giant Bomb, which you may have missed. You should check out the Bombcast she was on, because she was great there.

Peter brown always seemed like a cool, knowledgeable dude. I bet if he worked for gb he'd make sure the old games show ran on time.

The Old Games Show should be Peter, Dan, Drew, and Jeff playing and talking about old games until the end of time.

popo

Have they actually finally done that? Since I saw Chris Watters host that Blizzard thing, I was like "yup, he should never be in content with Danny & co ever again".

According to Danny's tumblr

Anonymous Asked
Question

Hey Danny, I appreciate this is perhaps a question you are unwilling or even unable to answer but I've seen Chris Watters appear in sponsored content quite a lot of the site. Considering his role in reviewing games etc, do you not see this as a pretty massive conflict of interest? The content is clearly labeled & such but even so the fact he is actively promoting products for the games companies whose games he has to review seems crazy.

Answer

I’ve talked proactively about this on my Tumblr many times before, so you can scroll back if you want a more detailed response. But to answer your concern, AFAIK he isn’t involved in editorial content since joining that team. He hasn’t reviewed a game in months and hasn’t appeared as a talking head on The Lobby with me either. You’re right - it would be a conflict of interest, which is why him and the folks here have clearly taken the steps to avoid that problem.

Based on what you mentioned, not really. I recall her coming off as a 2K PR rep in the episode where they played Evolve. That said, she definitely has had her moments to shine on Giant Bomb, which you may have missed. You should check out the Bombcast she was on, because she was great.
I think she was just keen to show that she knew a lot about the game. I think it was one of her first appearances?

I still find Gamespot content way more interesting than anything IGN puts out.

Do they actually have an Editor in Chief now? I remember Justin Calvert got laid off months ago and I'm pretty sure they never replaced him. Maybe that's why it's seemed sorta directionless

SomberOwl

While were on the GameSpot topic they've been on a steady decline of reviews lately. I miss Kevin V. He was one of the last reviewers I could usually count on to put out excellent reviews.

I feel like GameSpot are chasing some sort of Giant Bomb dream with these new ideas which seems pretty pointless.

Hopefully it comes out good.

Danny, Mary and Andy all seem pretty talented.

Myggen

She's attractive and laughs uncontrollably. That's enough for most here.

Your comment is a good example of why it can't be easy to be a woman in the games media. Ever considered that a lot of people find her funny and likeable in the same way they find Danny funny and likeable?

Based on what you mentioned, not really. I recall her coming off as a 2K PR rep in the episode where they played Evolve. That said, she definitely has had her moments to shine on Giant Bomb, which you may have missed. You should check out the Bombcast she was on, because she was great there.

You mean the latest Bombcast where she laid down some smack about Cincinnati? She was fine but again, I didn't really notice her presence in any sort of way. Maybe it's because she's a guest all the time (that evolve nonsense), idk.

I had a random chuckle to myself today when I remembered a FIFA video Jeff and Vinny did and they were going through Italian teams and Jeff said

"Atalanta?..." then in an Italian accent "Where the bigga boys playa!"

The best wrestling reference on the site.

tuxfool

Banned
Because everybody pays attention to memes:

Hey Lunar FC

He422gU.jpg

We needn't belabour further.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
But she's not nearly as awesome as Danielle Riendeau who is clearly top of the female game journalists pile.

Pitting women in a given field against each other arbitrarily is almost as uncool as dismissing Mary Kish because she's attractive. You probably didn't realize that's what you were doing but it's one of those insidious little things that you gotta watch out for.

kvothe

Parish is allowed, but he can only talk about SEGA games because I think that'd be funny.

that is the dumbest fucking way to drum up interest in a product I've ever seen

like, you already have the super bowl ad, you don't need to tease people to get them to watch it

I'm definitely more interested in this advertisement than I would be otherwise.

danm999

The "who won the Mario Maker war" debate has spilled over into the comments section of that article Dan wrote today between him and Patrick in a very satisfying way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom