• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Exactly, it was the most by the numbers critique but framed like its a scathing keeping it real take on Banksy. It felt like when people dismiss every Beatles album before Rubber Soul as factory made. I want people to dig a little deeper and especially a dude like Austin who loves doing that.

criticising austin's counter-cultural criticism of banksy's counter-cultural mainstreamness for itself being too mainstream is like three levels too much meta

Megasoum

Banned
Watching the WoW Rorie video and HOLY SHIT the nostalgia...

Burning Crusade was really the peak of WoW for me. I spent a year "working from home" (lol...) where I was actually playing WoW 20 hours a day raiding in two different guilds at the same time. Stopped raiding after killing Illidan but did everything up to that.

Always loved Kharazan... It's one of the more interesting raid design wise imo. Love the variety of bosses and decor.

Strax

Nah I 110% agreed with him. Banksy is a hack.

He's the graffiti version of /r/im14andthisisdeep.

People who can't take any criticism of Banksy are so cringeworthy.

My point isn't that Banksy is great, its that he deserves more then what sounded basically like a drive-by NeoGaf post. This is what happens when artists become bigger then their medium like Nolan/James Cameron, Jay-Z/Eminem and Banksy. People that don't normally care for movies, rap and graffiti still go to see/hear their work and because of that they automatically become "hacks" in the eyes of "real" fans of the medium.

My point isn't that Banksy is great, its that he deserves more then what sounded basically like a drive-by NeoGaf post. This is what happens when artists become bigger then their medium like Nolan/James Cameron, Jay-Z/Eminem and Banksy. People that don't normally care for movies, rap and graffiti still go to see/hear their work and because of that they automatically become "hacks" in the eyes of "real" fans of the medium.

or some people don't like the idea that by nature, broad-appeal art is pandering, and by default of less interest to genre fans

Jintor

how much more substantive can you get about something's non-substantiveness off the top of one's head though...? it's not like he came in prepared to debate banksy

these things are like pub conversations. expecting intellectual rigour from them is why we have a corrections segment where we can blast austin about mispronouncing maori

Strax

how much more substantive can you get about something's non-substantiveness off the top of one's head though...? it's not like he came in prepared to debate banksy

these things are like pub conversations. expecting intellectual rigour from them is why we have a corrections segment where we can blast austin about mispronouncing maori

Thats a fair point.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Look, how can you expect them not to be rigorous with their critique on the beastcast, the number one graffiti & vape culture podcast on the internet?

Megasoum

Banned
jmtP76Q.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom