• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

Raist

Banned
Dude come on

Wat.

crushedloevcomputar3nkjq.gif

Dude cmon it's obvious something is coming. Maybe not all of the leaked details are right, but when there is smoke from multiple sources and insiders, not to mention Sony hinting at it last year...

But yeah, your answer will be given at E3 shortly.

Yeah, "something". I'm just saying the details are the issue.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ok you're still not getting it?

"People say" means jack shit to me. People say a lot of things.

I'll bet $100 of my money against $10 of yours that this* exists.

* Parameters: An upgraded console, to be announced before E3 2017, with a focus on higher resolution or framerate, with software that runs on both but can run better on the newer console, regardless of which specific final name were used.

So if you think there's even a 10% chance this is wrong, you would expect this to be a profitable bet for you. Let me know.

Dinjooh

* Parameters: An upgraded console, to be announced before E3 2017, with a focus on higher resolution or framerate, with software that runs on both but can run better on the newer console, regardless of which specific final name were used.

So if you think there's even a 10% chance this is wrong, you would expect this to be a profitable bet for you. Let me know.

what about a vory creepy avatar instead though

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Raist

Banned

Well we don't use dollars here :(

Counter-bet: it will rain on tuesday*

*not saying which tuesday though

Grief51

Banned
I can understand people are annoyed if they expected the PS4 to be the most powerful console for 6-7 years + there are legitimate concerns about how performance will be on the old PS4.

However, if your not dirt poor and have disposable income $400 really isn't much money to ensure your console doesn't fall too far behind pc gaming.
I imagine the PS4K will be able to play games at 1080p High/Ultra Settings while the PS4 will output at 900p and Medium/Low Settings.

I while happily pay $400 bucks for that. I can even sell my old PS4 to subsidize my purchase.
Unless your still in school and/or don't have any money, then as a console gamer, the PS 4k is great for you and if you don't want to upgrade. Don't. You can keep gaming with what you've already got.

kevin1025

Banned
My question about this whole thing is, are developers going to be forced to make PS4 NEO versions? Let's say a game like Mafia III or Battlefield 5 comes out in October, and the developers are happy with their game and doesn't want to do anything more to them outside of the usual patches and such. Are they going to be forced to make NEO (better performance) versions no matter what?

Because if it's not the case and it's only a thing where they have to be made to run on the NEO rather than have better versions as part of a contract, then it becomes a concern of how many people will actually take advantage of the new system.

AzaK

The end of "buy it and you're set" consoles as we know it.

Totally incorrect. Your PS4 will continue to work and all games for the PS4k will run on it fine, as they were intended if they were developed just for PS4. Sony's strict guidelines and
rules are trying to ensure that.

Either way, you were never set because the PS5 will come anyway.

Noone complains when phones and tablets do it.

Grief51

Banned
Wow. I just started playing the new Ratchet and Clank today and I was blown away by the graphics. Yet I just realized: How amazing is Ratchet and Clank 2 on the PS4 Neo going to look? You can get a lot of bells and whistles with a 2.3x power increase in gpu :D

Holy hell it is awesome to be a gamer right now....

Damn, son. He is the one.

Edit: It supports more than 4 controllers? Should we expect games like FIFA to support more than 4 players? That's a game changer, if true.

Even I do not know this point. Because it contradict that Neo game should have no exclusive feature.

But the neo will support more controllers than base ps4. So maybe it will be better for local multiplayer? I do not know.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Even I do not know this point. Because it contradict that Neo game should have no exclusive feature.

But the neo will support more controllers than base ps4. So maybe it will be better for local multiplayer? I do not know.
Any word on gaming support for HDR?

Epcott

Hmmm...
Strangely, I feel neither excited or betrayed by the Neo.

Instead it's made me painfully aware that perhaps I've gotten too old for this entertainment medium. Maybe I should be spending my money on things other soon to be 40 year olds spend money on, like vacations and business... Errrrr, stuff.

Edit: Eh, I need my FFXV, P5, and VR fix. Life of a pipe with slippers can wait.

McLovin

No thanks I'll wait for the third iteration. The PS4k Trinity
JK it seems cool
Xbox one point five should be Agent Smith

My question about this whole thing is, are developers going to be forced to make PS4 NEO versions? Let's say a game like Mafia III or Battlefield 5 comes out in October, and the developers are happy with their game and doesn't want to do anything more to them outside of the usual patches and such. Are they going to be forced to make NEO (better performance) versions no matter what?

Because if it's not the case and it's only a thing where they have to be made to run on the NEO rather than have better versions as part of a contract, then it becomes a concern of how many people will actually take advantage of the new system.

They are required to make Neo versions as of September. It can be as simple as running at a resolution higher than 1080p, though.

kyser73

Hmmm...
Strangely, I feel neither excited or betrayed by the Neo.

Instead it's made me painfully aware that perhaps I've gotten too old for this entertainment medium. Maybe I should be spending my money on things other soon to be 40 year olds spend money on, like vacations and business... Errrrr, stuff.

Edit: Eh, I need my FFXV, P5, and VR fix. Life of a pipe with slippers can wait.

I'm 43, mortgage & 2 kids.

PSVR on pre-order and waiting for Neo pre-orders after E3.

Garani

I'm 43, mortgage & 2 kids.

PSVR on pre-order and waiting for Neo pre-orders after E3.

45, mortgage and 3 kids. I will not get the PSVR (personal thing against virtual reality) but I would probably trade the PS4 day-one for the 4k.

And I still have in house 2 PS3s: 1 from day one w/ the PS2 emulation chip, and a slimmer PS3. My son still plays with the PS3 and the good thing about this PS4-4K iteration is that I can safely trade my PS4 for the 4K without loosing all the software and games that I have up to now while gaining some new tricks up the sleeve and a new 2 years warranty. If these tricks are any good I'll see further along the line.

Shaneus

I'm feeling less angsty about this with the more-than-likely specs being announced, and seeing more of an upgrade to existing components than completely new bits of hardware such as an extra GPU etc.

I suspect it'll basically offer the difference of something like, say, a PC game's default medium and high settings, with the latter offering equivalent to a better AA solution (or 4K) and a small handful of extra little XMB options like KennyLinder suggested such as 60fps capture or something.

Doesn't even sound like the upgrade would smooth out the framerate of a game that would otherwise be poorly optimised to run on the vanilla PS4. If it does though, especially for a game like Bloodborne, to give it a flat 30, I might consider upgrading. But only if I'm not significantly out of pocket.

Top Bottom