• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

The nature of how the information leaks often means you have to read between the lines.

"It has double the GPU performance"

*potential for varying human interpretation*

"PS4k has two GPUs!"

This is about as a legitimate of a leak as you could hope for, and is similar to other leaks going back all they way to Xbox 360 Xenon/Xenos leaks, all of which were "mostly" correct except for a detail here or there.

Denial.

El_Chino

Or you know, not necessarily buying random leaks and hearsays. especially when they don't really make sense and keep changing despite always presumably being backed up by multiple sources.

It's easy to claim stuff without showing any proof for it and keeping the "oh well, plans have changed" wildcard up your sleeve. But I guess we'll see.
Were you saying the same when VGleaks were posting PS4 specs?

If you think Eurogamer, Giant Bomb, Kotaku gonna post these things were checking your sources then you're even more delusional.

AmyS

I wonder what future device they will name "Trinity".

Heh, "Trinity" was Microsoft's original internal codename for Xbox 360, but that was changed to Xenon.

January 22, 2002: Microsoft confirms it is canceling UltimateTV and will eliminate a third of the 500 hardware jobs in Mountain View, California. Jon DeVaan and Tim Bucher leave Microsoft.
A day after UltimateTV is canceled, Nick Baker, Mike Abrash, Jeff Andrews, and Greg Williams start planning the chips for the Xbox 360, code-named Trinity. That code name is later changed to Xenon.

August 5, 2002: Message goes out to group saying Trinity should not be mentioned outside Microsoft.

https://web.archive.org/web/2006043...curynews.com/aei/2006/04/the_xbox_360_un.html

Kyoufu

Or you know, not necessarily buying random leaks and hearsays. especially when they don't really make sense and keep changing despite always presumably being backed up by multiple sources.

It's easy to claim stuff without showing any proof for it and keeping the "oh well, plans have changed" wildcard up your sleeve. But I guess we'll see.

Bruh. I've known about PS4K for a year now. You're going to look silly when they actually announce it.

Highly respected, multiple news sites in the games industry wouldn't just make this up. They'd be checking sources and not just going along with hearsay. It's actually quite disrespectful to think they'd act this way.

They also don't need to show proof, it's not how that works.

You just refuse to trust them for some reason.

randome

My only problem with this is that after another couple years the PS5 will come out, right? Ive been waiting to get a ps4 and now I might as well wait another couple years for the ps5 lol.

Audioboxer

For reference a PC videocard using a GCN architecture that can push out 4.1 TFlops of single threaded compute power is 230$ (Radeon 380X)

Cheers but it's still jargon to some. Some DF analysis or other YT videos will be all some will read into to see the real world results. (not saying that's wrong to do, it is actually best to see what devs can actually do).

My only problem with this is that after another couple years the PS5 will come out, right? Ive been waiting to get a ps4 and now I might as well wait another couple years for the ps5 lol.

Well you could just wait for PS6 lol.

Many still jump in right at the end of the generation because the entry point is far lower, and they have a big library to access. If you have expendable cash and can buy something now/shortly and get benefit from using it a lot, then really your investment is never wasted. Everything we use while trudging through our lives goes "out of date". It doesn't mean you don't have fun while it's in date, or even after it's replaced. I still bootup my PS3 from time to time.

I would imagine if this proves popular we might very much see another revision in 3 years time. It might get to a point where they just call it PlayStation and be done with the numbering.

I think its safe to say PS5 is a while off yet. Get a PS4 and enjoy it!

Raist

Banned
Were you saying the same when VGleaks were posting PS4 specs?

If you think Eurogamer, Giant Bomb, Kotaku gonna post these things were checking your sources then you're even more delusional.

No, because it was an awful lot more detailed, it was a given that new consoles were coming, and there wasn't a million contradictions.

Want a list of what happened within less than a month?

Name
"Some guy joked about PS4K"
"All our sources say it's PS4K"
"We heard it's NEO"
"Did we say 4K? Yeah we meant NEO. Oops."

Price
"Our multiple sources don't know"
"$399 for sure guys"
"Maybe $399, maybe $499"

Specific games
"Yes, 4.5/4K whatever only titles. Already in dev"
"We're not sure"
"No, Sony forbids it"

Timing of release
"It's exploratory at the moment"
"They just started briefing devs about it"
"Out this year!"
"NEO mode for games mandatory from October!"

Devs
"On board and already making games!"
"Not happy!"

Added to that, the PS4's "bottleneck" is already the CPU. So it's gonna get a mere upclock, while doubling the CUs and upclocking the GPU? What?

All these rumoured specs, from a vague "X times more powerful" to more detailed specs, make it absolutely clear that this won't push native 4K graphics. So it will be upscaling. What's the point or developing a new system for that, when 4K TV will upscale for you just fine?

So, I'd rather take the word of the few people on GAF who usually know their shit but keep relatively quiet, rather than people claiming to have details and solid sources, don't show anything for it, keep contradicting each other or even themselves and have a really shit track record about publishing crap news. Have we already forgotten the NX leak, or the NX controllers, or going further back MGS triology and so on?

Highly respected, multiple news sites in the games industry wouldn't just make this up. They'd be checking sources and not just going along with hearsay. It's actually quite disrespectful to think they'd act this way.

They also don't need to show proof, it's not how that works.

You just refuse to trust them for some reason.

Yeah sure. Like Patrick "Well OK the first NX leak was fake but the second one looks a lot more real right guys?!" Klepek for instance?

Bruh. I've known about PS4K for a year now. You're going to look silly when they actually announce it.

Look silly? No, once it's out for real I'll accept it. And I would have been wrong. I'm fine with that.
At the moment, it's closer to a carnival of stupid 2.0.

This thread is this:

FTSLhOX.jpg

but full of people who want to do this:

1ODe6Yk.jpg
Pretty much.

El_Chino

No, because it was an awful lot more detailed, it was a given that new consoles were coming, and there wasn't a million contradictions.

Name
"We heard it's NEO"

Price
"$399 for sure guys"
"Maybe $399, maybe $499"

Specific games
"We're not sure"
"No, Sony forbids it"

Timing of release
"Out this year!"

Devs
"Not happy!"

Added to that, the PS4's "bottleneck" is already the CPU. So it's gonna get a mere upclock, while doubling the CUs and upclocking the GPU? What?

All these rumoured specs, from a vague "X times more powerful" to more detailed specs, make it absolutely clear that this won't push native 4K graphics. So it will be upscaling. What's the point or developing a new system for that, when 4K TV will upscale for you just fine?

So, I'd rather take the word of the few people on GAF who usually know their shit but keep relatively quiet, rather than people claiming to have details and solid sources, don't show anything for it, keep contradicting each other or even themselves and have a really shit track record about publishing crap news. Have we already forgotten the NX leak, or the NX controllers, or going further back MGS triology and so on?

Yeah sure. Like Patrick "Well OK the first NX leak was fake but the second one looks a lot more real right guys?!" Klepek for instance?

Look silly? No, once it's out for real I'll accept it. And I would have been wrong. I'm fine with that.
I look forward to your posts when it's officially announced.

Name
"We heard it's NEO"

Price
"$399 for sure guys"
"Maybe $399, maybe $499"

Specific games
"We're not sure"
"No, Sony forbids it"

Timing of release
"Out this year!"

Devs
"Not happy!"

Amazing :D

And not even Sony announcing it is enough proof. Brilliant.

Crow or Hat? Which would you prefer?

Interesting any more juice?

This is not very interesting but maybe you find it good.

neo support the more than 4 local controller. On ps4 you only have maximum 4. On neo you can connect more like on ps3.

I do not think this has been published. Maybe it has

Edit. Some people still not believing. They should see my post where I say neo is code name from two weeks ago.

The current internal code name is "Neo".

Like I say before. All the document is available on sony devnet. Its where the giantbomb got the information. It is real.

Probably already posted, but for those that missed it:

PS4 Neo Reaction - PS I Love You XOXO Ep. 32

Pure overreaction. This happens in literally every industry. You buy something, a year later a better version of that product comes out. Console gaming was just behind the times in that aspect but man, to be that stunned and shocked over something that literally happens everywhere else is just hilarious. And that after 3 years, not 1.

I bought a car this year, a new 2017 model of it already came out. Its reality. Does it suck for early adopers, yes. Is it reality in 2016? Also yes.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What kind of upgrades would you guys like to see on the Neo?

Personally I'd like to see guaranteed 1080p, 16x AF, and SSAA. Just really buff the image quality up and increase effects precision and particle density while maintaining a stable framerate.

DJwest

I'm still not sure about something. So given the information we currently have, if I buy a PS4K and pop in Killzone Shadow Fall or Witcher3, will the games work? Will the PS4K be able to run old PS4 games with no need for patches? I understand that a patch might be required to take advantage of the extra resources but would we be able to play existing games as they are?

Audioboxer

Personally I'd like to see guaranteed 1080p, 16x AF, and SSAA. Just really buff the image quality up and increase effects precision and particle density while maintaining a stable framerate.

1080/60 on most titles. Probably not going to happen, but I'll take 60FPS if it can be done over fancier texture work and AA. Hopefully devs happy to optimize aim for this first.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm still not sure about something. So given the information we currently have, if I buy a PS4K and pop in Killzone Shadow Fall or Witcher3, will the games work? Will the PS4K be able to run old PS4 games with no need for patches? I understand that a patch might be required to take advantage of the extra resources but would we be able to play existing games as they are?
Yes

They would just play exactly the same as on PS4.

1080/60 on most titles. Probably not going to happen, but I'll take 60FPS if it can be done over fancier texture work and AA. Hopefully devs happy to optimize aim for this first.

Oh yeah, me too. I forgot to clarify that I'm under the impression that the CPU upclock wouldn't be enough to make the jump from 30 to 60 in most cases so I was focusing on GPU functions.

Just an obvious sign that's it's a bullshit leak. Like all the other ones, most likely.

How come they all have "multiple sources" that can't agree on much?
Not to mention the ones flip-flopping like eurogamer.

Hey GB and EG, you're probably reading this thread, so how about you show us these "documents" you speak of?

Why wouldn't they?

Yeah. That contradict each other, and/or change their mind. Seems legit.

I mean, they're giving away specs etc. So it's a bit too late for the "it's to protect people".
But claiming to have documents yet showing none of it is a red flag to me. It's like people swearing to god they've been abducted by aliens yet never have any proof to show.

Yeah anonymous sources sure are a proof. Especially when they don't all have the same story to tell.

I think it's the Slim which may have some minor, fairly insignificant HW refresh. The rest is just noise.

Name
"We heard it's NEO"

Price
"$399 for sure guys"
"Maybe $399, maybe $499"

Specific games
"We're not sure"
"No, Sony forbids it"

Timing of release
"Out this year!"

Devs
"Not happy!"

"Welp, I was wrong".

Yeah, it's going to be awful :'(
Unless as I said, it's a Slim with a minor refresh.

How on earth did you get that from my post?
Out for real as in the info. From Sony.

Dude come on

zoozilla

Huh. I wonder if any developers will see any incentive to patch their older games to be "NEO compatible."

I don't think any games released prior to the New 3DS ran better on that system, no?

Honestly the biggest upgrade (and make or break factor for me) is a 4K blu ray player. If this doesn't ship with the ability to play 4K blu rays, I'll be skipping it and buying a standard 4K player. I'd like it if they went back to a few of the older games and kinda tweaked them as well.

Bloodborne.

AmyS

Pure overreaction. This happens in literally every industry. You buy something, a year later a better version of that product comes out. Console gaming was just behind the times in that aspect but man, to be that stunned and shocked over something that literally happens everywhere else is just hilarious. And that after 3 years, not 1.

I bought a car this year, a new 2017 model of it already came out. Its reality. Does it suck for early adopers, yes. Is it reality in 2016? Also yes.

I completely agree with you, it was indeed a total overreaction. I'll probably purchase the more powerful PS4 day one, especially if devs get on board patching their older games to run at better framerates.

Can you say...GTA 5 and Read Dead R*

:)

Huh. I wonder if any developers will see any incentive to patch their older games to be "NEO compatible."

I don't think any games released prior to the New 3DS ran better on that system, no?

Don't think so, but patching is a pain on 3DS compared to PS4. I would think some games will, especially the big popular ones.

Hexa

This is not very interesting but maybe you find it good.

neo support the more than 4 local controller. On ps4 you only have maximum 4. On neo you can connect more like on ps3.

I do not think this has been published. Maybe it has

Edit. Some people still not believing. They should see my post where I say neo is code name from two weeks ago.

Like I say before. All the document is available on sony devnet. Its where the giantbomb got the information. It is real.

Nice. I will have to remember you as someone that's legit. :)
Thanks for the info and keep us updated if you can.

1080p + better graphics + solid 30 fps.

Base PS4 version: 1080p + solid 30 fps + less AA/visual effects.

I play on a projector, but sit far enough away that I don't care bout 4k.

thuway

4k Bluray and HDR is tied to an hevc chip. Would they even need an entirely new laser or would they just need to add an hevc chip?

rokkerkory

1080p + better graphics + solid 30 fps.

Base PS4 version: 1080p + solid 30 fps + less AA/visual effects.

I play on a projector, but sit far enough away that I don't care bout 4k.

OR

Base PS4: 1080p + solid 30 fps + less AA/visual effects.
PS4k: 1080p + solid 60 fps + better graphics

Audioboxer

Ok you're still not getting it?

"People say" means jack shit to me. People say a lot of things.

Dude cmon it's obvious something is coming. Maybe not all of the leaked details are right, but when there is smoke from multiple sources and insiders, not to mention Sony hinting at it last year...

But yeah, your answer will be given at E3 shortly.

Top Bottom