• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

jmdajr

Wonder if going foward the Xbox One games will look better. Meaning Original P4 vs Xbox One. I have no faith on the non-neo versions being optimized properly.

I created a graphic that summarizes what features I'd be okay with in the PS4K/4.5/NEO, and what I'd be upset about, given I got my PS4 a mere 5 months ago:

CgbVr9JUkAAizpp.jpg

As you can see, I think where I draw the line is at exclusive games and content. The aesthetic stuff I was never too bothered by in the first place, so if it's even better on PS4K? Fine. I'm curious if others agree.

Thanks Paulogy!

Yeah. That contradict each other, and/or change their mind. Seems legit.

I mean, they're giving away specs etc. So it's a bit too late for the "it's to protect people".
But claiming to have documents yet showing none of it is a red flag to me. It's like people swearing to god they've been abducted by aliens yet never have any proof to show.

No proof? Except the sources.

This reminds me of the time where people didn't believe (or didn't want to believe, more like) the leaks about Microsofts original plans for the Xbox One.

Raist

Banned
No proof? Except the sources.

This reminds me of the time where people didn't believe (or didn't want to believe, more like) the leaks about Microsofts original plans for the Xbox One.

Yeah anonymous sources sure are a proof. Especially when they don't all have the same story to tell.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I created a graphic that summarizes what features I'd be okay with in the PS4K/4.5/NEO, and what I'd be upset about, given I got my PS4 a mere 5 months ago:

CgbVr9JUkAAizpp.jpg

As you can see, I think where I draw the line is at exclusive games and content. The aesthetic stuff I was never too bothered by in the first place, so if it's even better on PS4K? Fine. I'm curious if others agree.

Which is basically what Sony supposedly has outlined to the developers. So if that is anything to go by, we will be in good shape. I am with you as well on that graphic.

So a blurry ghosty mess?

Why is Sony making a NEO? Not because the PS4 graphics are preventing people from buying a console, but because they a) want to keep charging $400, b) they want to push PSVR and this will lower the price, c) they want to push 4K TVs.

The NEO specs are good for PSVR which needs ~2x the power. 4K needs 4x the power. You can't run everything in 4k natively, but you can run some parts in 4K and other in lower resolutions. NX Gamer has done an interesting video of how we should think of resolution, power and IQ: https://youtu.be/mkQZRwXZJpI

You can think of Quantum Break however you like, maybe it was an extreme case, but not processing all aspects of an image in full resolution isn't anything new, KZ: Shadow Fall has done it somewhat heavily, Halo 5 was an interesting case and a ton of other AAA games do it to some degree. We will see more of this in the future.

Audioboxer

Why is Sony making a NEO? Not because the PS4 graphics are preventing people from buying a console, but because they a) want to keep charging $400, b) they want to push PSVR and this will lower the price, c) they want to push 4K TVs.

The NEO specs are good for PSVR which needs ~2x the power. 4K needs 4x the power. You can't run everything in 4k natively, but you can run some parts in 4K and other in lower resolutions. NX Gamer has done an interesting video of how we should think of resolution, power and IQ: https://youtu.be/mkQZRwXZJpI

You can think of Quantum Break however you like, maybe it was an extreme case, but not processing all aspects of an image in full resolution isn't anything new, KZ: Shadow Fall has done it somewhat heavily, Halo 5 was an interesting case and a ton of other AAA games do it to some degree. We will see more of this in the future.

It's only really been done when titles can't hit a full native HD output. 1080p is still a native HD output, and while 4K is as well, being native is what is key. Meaning 1080p is fine, and some basic OS upscaling to 4K is all that is needed, not complex algorithms that aid titles that are 720/900p native.

It's only really been done when titles can't hit a full native HD output. 1080p is still a native HD output, and while 4K is as well, being native is what is key. Meaning 1080p is fine, and some basic OS upscaling to 4K is all that is needed, not complex algorithms that aid titles that are 720/900p native.

Wanna take a bet that the next Gran Turismo will have a 4K mode that is not just upscaling?

The ps4 is selling faster than the ps2.

I'm not sure what you think this proves, plus I'm pretty sure that's only possibly true if you take into account the period since launch (The PS2 had major shortages). If you look at monthly sales now vs the same relative time on the life of the PS2 I'm pretty sure the PS4 is not selling faster.

In any case sales only point at demand at a certain price. If we were to lower the Xbone price to $50 right now, it'd become the best selling console in human history. That has no relation to how happy or not current Xbone customers are with their console.

Sony thinks there's a market to a slight revision that packs a little more punch. Instead of a slim PS4 that performs exactly the same, now you get a bit more oomph for a little bit more money.

I tend to agree. We'll see who's right though.

Audioboxer

Wanna take a bet that the next Gran Turismo will have a 4K mode that is not just upscaling?

Possibly, but Kaz and the PD are nutters who take eons to get stuff out ~ Meaning they are usually the exception to the norm. Going into details with a magnifying glass and trying to always push limits technically (and still not getting it perfect).

The other 95% of the developers/publishers out there will be happy getting to 1080p, locking a decently high framerate and allowing upscaling to take effect. Native 4K on anything but indie titles isn't happening on these rumoured specs.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I'm not very happy with the hardware upgrade.The cpu is the same and the gpu upgrade i expected a lot more.

But i'm ready for the purchase.

AlexBasch

You know, I don't even consider the current PS4 shit now, since I understand that the PSVR will most likely need the extra power. I'm fine with that.

I'm a bit worried now on the devs delivering a shit "port" (would they need to do a separate version of the games? This is confusing) like the late PS3-early PS4 games.

I know the leak says that Sony won't allow PS4K exclusives or later console features, but, without trying to be disrespectful, I don't fully trust the devs with having to do both versions of a game. :/

Audioboxer

I don't understand how anyone can be upset with the GPU; it is going from 1.8 TF -> 4.2TF in a $399 box.

Because those numbers don't really mean anything to most. The results and proof will, barring completely unreasonable expectations of high end PC GPUs cooled inside a small box.

hesido

Yeah like 3 people on Gaf? You realize that one/two/three Cod Youtube Video from Ali A has like 10m views in a couple of days from Ps4/Xbox One users? Gaf is a minority it means nothing what people here are saying about leaving Console space since many more will join ;) Remember Kinect before launch on 360? Major success right? What about Wii? Yeah

If you want to leave, do it.

I´m pretty happy Console gaming is moving and try to capture a bigger audience from people who care about Specs and stuff and will remain cheap and affordable for the majority of the mass market (249/299e).

PS4K is probably going to be a success story, because people love to buy slightly better stuff that they don't need to buy; it's not a necessarily good thing for the consumer as their products get obsolete faster but it works for the companies that do spew out these. But I'm in the same boat with people that's going to abandon consoles, I'd like to note.

The other 95% of the developers/publishers out there will be happy getting to 1080p, locking a decently high framerate and allowing upscaling to take effect. Native 4K on anything but indie titles isn't happening on these rumoured specs.
I agree, but I think Sony will motivate 1st party developers to make their games look better than just OS upscaling. They won't be 4K native and it won't be a 60/30fps thing, so I'm betting on some mixed resolution magic and I picked Gran Turismo because PD is always the studio Sony is picking for this kind of tech-demo to push new tech things (see "Gran Turismo HD" for 1080i(?) support, then hooking 4 PS3 together to get GT5:prologue in 4K and GT5 had to push 3D).

Horohoro

I didnt say it was. My point is that they arent having trouble selling them so why mess with a successful buisness model when so many people hate this?

They are just answering what Microsoft is doing too as well as responding supposedly to Nintendo is doing with its new NX hardware specs...

Yeah anonymous sources sure are a proof. Especially when they don't all have the same story to tell.

The nature of how the information leaks often means you have to read between the lines.

"It has double the GPU performance"

*potential for varying human interpretation*

"PS4k has two GPUs!"

This is about as a legitimate of a leak as you could hope for, and is similar to other leaks going back all they way to Xbox 360 Xenon/Xenos leaks, all of which were "mostly" correct except for a detail here or there.

Jay Seven

Banned
As someone who chose to go with the PS4 this generation, I welcome the new revision. Any opportunity to improve the games I play without having to invest in a PC is fine by me. Just let me know when I can pre-order and I'm there.

Dartastic

2) QA and Certification is going to take extra work. For everyone yelling "but PC!!!", there's no certification for PC like there is for console. EA can release something on Origin whenever they feel like it for example.
What do you mean by this? PC games go through cert, or at least they did back in 2008/2009. Are you saying that PC games don't go through cert? If you are, that's incorrect unless things have changed since then. The process was definitely different than it was on consoles, but it did exist. Source: me, working on PC games in EA cert back in 2008/2009.

Raist

Banned
Lol denial is a bitch.

Or you know, not necessarily buying random leaks and hearsays. especially when they don't really make sense and keep changing despite always presumably being backed up by multiple sources.

It's easy to claim stuff without showing any proof for it and keeping the "oh well, plans have changed" wildcard up your sleeve. But I guess we'll see.

Top Bottom