• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

DJ88

So do you keep you phone cycle to the same 5-6 years???

You do know analogies require a little more thought that that right?

You can't possibly think a new smartphone and the Neo are the same right?

What is it with everyone making this garbage analogy?

Hey GB and EG, you're probably reading this thread, so how about you show us these "documents" you speak of?

Hahaha, this is just sad.

NHale

Content will always be the driver. Wait until COD is bundled with NEO consoles. Will sell like hotcakes

PS4MasterConsole will sell fine I don't have any doubt about that because why if the price difference is 100 or less then you would be mad to chose the basic version now. So 95% of PS4 sold after this year will be the new version.

The test is PS5 launch when early adopters know they will be better served by waiting 3 years for the ultimate version and without suffering the early days lulls and problems. That's going to be the true test for this business model because right now I don't see many reasons for anyone besides the hardcore tech savy people to buy any Sony console at launch and those people are not enough to create a healthy userbase and without userbase you can have another Vita. Oh well Sony surely had a risk management group before doing this strategic decision of their Playstation decision just after the 2-step autenthication meeting.

tcxlXAI.png

Always on point.

On the other side of the fence, I'm a little concerned that this might kick off the death of the "set it and forget it" draw to console gaming.
You won't need to go into an in-game menu to select advanced graphic options, but yeah... sooner than later we will need comparison tables between console versions to see which one is suited the best for our needs instead of just buying the model that plays all the current games.

Edit:
We already had Morpheus. Next one is Trinity, I guess.

Ominym

Banned
Why wouldn't they?

Because it could potentially out their source, which in turn gets them fired, which in turn makes getting leaks even more difficult if not impossible as people don't want to be fired? It's plainly obvious why they won't and shouldn't.

You can make the argument that if people don't want to be fired they shouldn't leak, but that's neither here nor there. But you seem to be implying they're lying, which I don't think is true given how much corroborated evidence we have.

OléGunner;201376616 said:
A common issue raised by many on Gaf when we first got a sniff of this. But most posts were roundly ridiculed as saying it's easy as placing different settings on PC for devs.

Really can't wait to hear devs chime in on this as time moves on.

Yep, I was one of those people. It's amazing how people want to dance around the issue by making excuses for the claim. More and more developers are saying it and people still want to dance around it like there isn't a problem.

John Wick

OléGunner;201377386 said:
On PC I'd figure there's the end user aspect where players can adjust all manner of effects, lighting, frame rate, AA etc to get your game running nicely on your custom rig.

I highly doubt the new PS4 allows for such changes, so devs still kinda have to optimise really well across all those elements (across two PS4's on top of that). It could be minor or a ton of extra work depending..

That's my own thinking but could be totally wrong :p

So who do you think does the work for when you take your slider from minimum to ultra??? The devs

Alucrid

Banned
Yep, I was one of those people. It's amazing how people want to dance around the issue by making excuses for the claim. More and more developers are saying it and people still want to dance around it like there isn't a problem.

i've seen two devs post about this. matt and risk breaker. vs vague third hand accounts from a tweet. unless there are other devs speaking out against this?

Luckydog

That's what some backwards people want you to believe. Of course your logic is making you come up with perfect questions to that.

I think its the exact opposite. A few million people will jump on PS4K. Devs will focus on PS4 and do the minimum needed to get a "Neo" certification". New NEO fans will be pissed.

I just want to know what this upgrade is meant to be for?

4K tvs (meh)
PSVR (not worth the market confusion)
Mid cycle upgrade (understandable if that's where consoles are heading but would have expected more of an upgrade)

Just bought my PS4, the thought of buying a new one isn't the end of the world but none of these reasons will make it a particularly urgent purchase

John Wick

You do know analogies require a little more thought that that right?

You can't possibly think a new smartphone and the Neo are the same right?

What is it with everyone making this garbage analogy?

Hahaha, this is just sad.

Because people are used to upgrading every year or every 2 years. Back in the old days no one did this. Some phones and tablets cost way more and people are still upgrading. New age new way to sell consoles

Smellycat

I wonder if PS4K and Xbox1.5 are being built to counter the NX? I have a feeling there might be something to that Nintendo patent that was approved. This is pure speculation though

Ha!
So who do you think does the work for when you take your slider from minimum to ultra??? The devs

I don't see where I said devs don't do any hard work to get PC games running..

Yeah, it'd be churlish to ignore the possibility.
But this could all mean nothing truthfully, and devs get on perfectly fine with a new sku at zero extra costs or headaches I dunno.

I'm interested in reading future interviews with big and small devs beyond first party as to how much this affects their workload.

LordOfChaos

I'm vaguely curious why it has 512MB more RAM to play with, when they both have 8GB GDDR5? Is the PS4.5 offloading more of the OS to the dedicated ARM chip, and presumably that has an upgrade and more RAM if this is true?

Or is 512MB going to be freed on both of them from the OS pool?

Hopefully better encoder for remote play too, the 720p output isn't even good clear 720p right now.

The more I think about this though, doubling the CUs isn't really enough to drive 4K, which is 4 times more resolution than 1080p. It's about what you'd want to do 1080p at 60fps if anything, or better yet, push current level games to the PSVR.

But then, that makes the "old" PS4 + PSVR bundle almost deceptive if you need the new PS4 to run games like we have now in VR, the old PS4 in that bundle would only play lower end games designed for VR.

So many questions about this. Don't screw up the PS4 cash cow, Sony, you need it. 40 million existing users aren't something to piss off.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think its the exact opposite. A few million people will jump on PS4K. Devs will focus on PS4 and do the minimum needed to get a "Neo" certification". New NEO fans will be pissed.

No..No.no......that's what I was trying to say too. We agree. Focusing on the PS NEO makes little sense, if you are time and money consumed.

Clearly the smart play is to make it as good as possible on the PS4 and just hope the PS NEO people get over the fact that the game also runs at 30 fps on it.

John Wick

i don't think that's an answer to my question of "why does everything have to be like phones/tablets?"

It's the model the whole world is used to now. Even people in 3Rd world countries want the latest phones and tech. I took my cousin in India a Nokia phone when I visited there. He didn't want it. Wanted an iPhone or Samsung. When CRTs where about you kept your TV for 10 years now I'm updating my TV every 3 years. It's the trend

No..No.no......that's what I was trying to say too. We agree. Focusing on the PS NEO makes little sense, if you are time and money consumed.

Clearly the smart play is to make it as good as possible on the PS4 and just hope the PS NEO people get over the fact that the game also runs at 30 fps on it.
Actually to not piss off the PS NEO people, you would need 3 modes, one for PS4 (the majority of the player base) and two for the NEO: a) clever 4K upscaling and b) better IQ @1080p

Audioboxer

Actually to not piss off the PS NEO people, you would need 3 modes, one for PS4 (the majority of the player base) and two for the NEO: a) clever 4K upscaling and b) better IQ @1080p

I'm certain 4k up-scaling can just be handled by the OS/default hardware, like how it is for the 360/One. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Marlenus

It just occurred to me.

PlayStation 4 neo

One is an anagram of neo

PlayStation 4 - 1 = 3

Half-life 3 confirmed as PS exclusive.

lawnchair

Banned
It's the model the whole world is used to now. Even people in 3Rd world countries want the latest phones and tech. I took my cousin in India a Nokia phone when I visited there. He didn't want it. Wanted an iPhone or Samsung. When CRTs where about you kept your TV for 10 years now I'm updating my TV every 3 years. It's the trend

"it's the trend so it's fine" isn't a line of reasoning i can get behind. might work for you, but not for me.

More of an upgrade? Going from 1.8 teraflops to 4.1 isn't enough for you?

Im not a tech guy so I can only go off what ive been reading here. So many ppl seem to be underwhelmed with the specs. If this is a substantial leap as you say I think it does makes sense. Its hard to get good info here sometimes with the amount of shilling and angry console supporters here.

Raist

Banned
Why do you need to see them? Don't you believe the multiple sources?

Yeah. That contradict each other, and/or change their mind. Seems legit.

Because it could potentially out their source, which in turn gets them fired, which in turn makes getting leaks even more difficult if not impossible as people don't want to be fired? It's plainly obvious why they won't and shouldn't.

You can make the argument that if people don't want to be fired they shouldn't leak, but that's neither here nor there. But you seem to be implying they're lying, which I don't think is true given how much corroborated evidence we have.

I mean, they're giving away specs etc. So it's a bit too late for the "it's to protect people".
But claiming to have documents yet showing none of it is a red flag to me. It's like people swearing to god they've been abducted by aliens yet never have any proof to show.

But why though?

The PS4 is outselling nintendo and xbox by millions.

There is no need for this console. 40 million people are happy with their PS4

Source?

I got mine at launch and after 3 years I'm ready for an upgrade.

Looking at install base is totally irrelevant. By that token you could say there are 80 million people happy with their Wii.

spwolf

I wonder how will they handle the prcing on the PS3, Ps4 and Ps4.5 when it is out. I am not sure on the current prices, but the PS3 is around 200 bucks 380-400 for a Ps4. So slash the for down to 300 maybe?

When new PS4 comes out at $250-$300, PS3 will likely be close to discontinued... they cant reduce its price anymore and it simply does not make any sense to buy one now.

We had PS4@Amazon.de for €249 yesterday.

M3Freak

Banned
The test is PS5 launch when early adopters know they will be better served by waiting 3 years for the ultimate version and without suffering the early days lulls and problems.

I'm leaning towards not buying at launch again. I did that for the PS2, PS3 and PS4. But, seeing as how I've been screwed with the last two (defective solder in PS3 and upgraded PS4), I'd rather just wait.

I can say I likely won't wait. But, the thought of waiting has never entered my mind. The PS4.5 has actually made me consider delaying the purchase and that's significant.

i've seen two devs post about this. matt and risk breaker. vs vague third hand accounts from a tweet. unless there are other devs speaking out against this?

There were a few in the previous Kotaku thread including myself. It doesn't take much to understand that this is going to have an impact on game development.

1) Any effort to support this is going to take up time, money and resources. How much or how little will depend on the scope, but you cannot deny that it's going to take up more time, money and resources.

2) QA and Certification is going to take extra work. For everyone yelling "but PC!!!", there's no certification for PC like there is for console. EA can release something on Origin whenever they feel like it for example.

3) Games already are getting released with Day 1 patches which means they don't have enough time as is to get the game done in order to press the disc.

4) Games already get complaints about obvious bugs that should have been caught before release.

5) Games already cost a lot to make as is.

So given all that, where do you find the extra time, money and resources when they're already being pushed and stretched? This is not some trivial change a value in an ini file that takes 30 seconds to do. There's real costs here. A studio with 50 people could be talking about $200,000 in costs for 5 days of work.

Alienous

Wait a second.

Project Morpheus.

Codename Neo.

Hopefully PlayStation VR players are ready to give Sony some more of that money.

I bought a 4K Bravia TV last Christmas.

Having PS4 games in 4K would be incredible and I support Sony 100% in pushing better technology.

paulogy

I created a graphic that summarizes what features I'd be okay with in the PS4K/4.5/NEO, and what I'd be upset about, given I got my PS4 a mere 5 months ago:

CgbVr9JUkAAizpp.jpg

As you can see, I think where I draw the line is at exclusive games and content. The aesthetic stuff I was never too bothered by in the first place, so if it's even better on PS4K? Fine. I'm curious if others agree.

Top Bottom