• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 11/18/14

I love it every time Jeff mentions Polar Bear's Cafe.
n0tmtcW.gif

FluxWaveZ

and to Rorie's point about medium not mattering, well... it's only something that could exist in anime. lol

Listening to it, I can kind of get what he's saying in regards to not finding an interest in the specific medium, but liking Akira's filmic quality, but I think that dismisses what makes anime as a medium unique.

Tan

I saw Princess Mononoke on YTV when I was pretty young and was not expecting the rivers of blood.

ArjanN

Listening to it, I can kind of get what he's saying in regards to not finding an interest in the specific medium, but liking Akira's filmic quality, but I think that dismisses what makes anime as a medium unique.

I think his point was that you shouldn't like something just because it's anime, which is a trap a lot of people who discover anime fall into. But once you've get more familiar with it you realize the quality to shit ratio isn't any better than books/movies/tv-series/comics/games etc. in that at least 90% of it is not worth your time.

For someone who's seen no anime at all yet though, there's still a ton of great stuff out there.

Haunted

Stop recommending fucking TV series no one has the time to watch anyway and focus on recommending good movies instead. Sons of bitches, you really don't know how to sell something, do you.

Also, Ghibli movies don't count is literally the same argument as Nintendo games don't count. Literally.

FStop7

Banned
Of course Dan would be too hammered by the end of Akira to not remember the ending...

Some tentacles flail, some goop splatters, and there's a creepy teddy bear.

Pretty much the cut and paste ending of every anime movie.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the same person who thinks MK3>MK2 and Terminator>T2 also doesn't like Seinfeld.

Seinfeld hasn't aged well, unfortunately. And while T2 is certainly a classic movie, the original Terminator absolutely smokes it.

ArjanN

I love the fact that Jeff keeps bringing up Polar Bear Cafe. It's really one of the better shows out there, and to Rorie's point about medium not mattering, well... it's only something that could exist in anime. lol

Also, Redline sucks. Which is why Dan will probably love it. lol

I think Dan would be better off watching a bunch of the classic popular stuff first like Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Cowboy Bebop etc.

Akira was a pretty good starting point.

Seinfeld hasn't aged well, unfortunately. And while T2 is certainly a classic movie, the original Terminator absolutely smokes it.

It's not like anyone who saw Akira for the first time knew what the fuck was going on if you hadn't read the manga. Which, let's be honest, was no-one at the time.

Jeff's tastes in movies/TV are generally pretty terrible. That said, T1 and T2 are close enough (and have different strengths anyway) that it doesn't make for a great example.

Myggen

Seinfeld hasn't aged well, unfortunately.

Agree to disagree there. Watched the show for the first time about 5 years ago (didn't have a channel that showed it growing up here in Norway), and it became my all time favourite sitcom. But Jeff disliking Seinfeld is well-known :p

Mesoian

Stop recommending fucking TV series no one has the time to watch anyway and focus on recommending good movies instead. Sons of bitches, you really don't know how to sell something, do you.

Also, Ghibli movies don't count is literally the same argument as Nintendo games don't count. Literally.

Did you miss Jeff's recommendation of Polar Bear Cafe?

But yeah, Jeff should watch the original BubbleGum Crisis, it's exactly what he's looking for.

Talking about Akira, Cyber City, and Polar Bear Cafe. What podcast is this?

I NEED MORE

Jeff, go watch Cyber City. It's basically three short stories and each one is better than the last. Go watch it!
If you do, I can overlook your poor evaluation of Seinfeld.

elfinke

Agree to disagree there. Watched the show for the first time about 5 years ago (didn't have a channel that showed it growing up here in Norway), and it became my all time favourite sitcom. But Jeff disliking Seinfeld is well-known :p

I feel Seinfeld - taken as an entire piece of work - is more poignant now than ever.

Also 3+ hour podcast, you beauty.

Myggen

I feel Seinfeld - taken as an entire piece of work - is more poignant now than ever.

Also 3+ hour podcast, you beauty.

Yeah, I feel like the consensus is that the series, by and large, has aged extremely well. It helps that it's not a very topical series, I think, and it's still just damn funny. The golden years of Seinfeld (4-6) is up there with the golden years of The Simpsons to me, which is the highest praise I can give.

Firebrand

Haven't listened to the Bombcast in a while, but goddamn, The Substitute reference in the description? Loved that movie.

Tom Berenger and William Forsythe belong on The Expendables, rather than those wannabes Ford and Willis who can only wish they were direct-to-VHS material.

newjeruse

Seinfeld has aged extremely well. There's a reason it banks tons of syndication money.

elfinke

Yeah, I feel like the consensus is that the series, by and large, has aged extremely well. It helps that it's not a very topical series, I think, and it's still just damn funny. The golden years of Seinfeld (4-6) is up there with the golden years of The Simpsons to me, which is the highest praise I can give.

Seinfeld-Laughing-with-Cigar.gif

Absolutely.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
OH GOD I FORGOT TO DUB UVB-76 INTO THIS THING

YOU'LL SEE WHAT I MEAN

That part is gonna seem really weird, I guess.

I about died imagining Treat Williams trying to pick up women using the line "I got a little Treat for you..."

I also used to bump the shit out of the Substitute soundtrack back in the day. Young Murda Squad!

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
OH GOD I FORGOT TO DUB UVB-76 INTO THIS THING

YOU'LL SEE WHAT I MEAN

That part is gonna seem really weird, I guess.

Well at least one person is going in warned.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think Dan would be better off watching a bunch of the classic popular stuff first like Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Cowboy Bebop etc.

Akira was a pretty good starting point.
I feel like Redline is the thing the kids like because it has nonsensical action and bewbs. I mean, I'll admit it has "sakuga" or "good animation", but if you don't care about animation on that level, it's dull and doesn't even live up to the promise of its name.

I guess that's true, and "animation" itself doesn't have any particular qualities attached to it that are necessarily special and that you can't do with, say, CG and millions of dollars.

But "anime" has a cultural quality where, quite frankly, I doubt an American would ever consider writing Polar Bear Cafe. There's a lot of anime that's just very cultural. For example, I think Brad would really enjoy Space Brothers, since it's really a show about two brothers trying to become Astronauts. It's a show that's probably too "dull" for American audiences, but is a relatively big hit in Japan - with not only a 100 episode anime, but a live action movie adaptation.

Superflat

Has anyone recommended Dan Sword of the Stranger yet? Everyone do that. Millenium Actress is a fucking great movie in any medium, but it's not action-y, which I'm assuming is what Dan is interested in lol

tumblr_mhvh2dMEqV1rbrys3o1_r1_500.gif

If he's going to watch a series, I'd agree with most and say Cowboy Bebop. I'd even say Space Dandy, cause that show is fuckin rad.

FluxWaveZ

I think his point was that you shouldn't like something just because it's anime, which is a trap a lot of people who discover anime fall into.

If that was his point, then it's certainly apt. Just like any medium, there's good and there's bad; it's all about watching the good, or at least understanding that it's broad enough that there'd be something that would appeal to anyone.

But "anime" has a cultural quality where, quite frankly, I doubt an American would ever consider writing Polar Bear Cafe. There's a lot of anime that's just very cultural. For example, I think Brad would really enjoy Space Brothers, since it's really a show about two brothers trying to become Astronauts. It's a show that's probably too "dull" for American audiences, but is a relatively big hit in Japan - with not only a 100 episode anime, but a live action movie adaptation.

Yep, the cultural aspect of it is significant. I wouldn't expect to see something like Space Brothers, Jojo's, Welcome to the NHK, Paranoia Agent, etc. from western television or film.

Also, for anyone interested in Redline, the full movie's up to watch on Youtube.

Hearing Dan explain Akira (or try and pronounce it) is great, have him watch Paprika or Perfect Blue next.

And holy shit Jin-Roh and Redline?
Dan is gonna love that shit.

Top Bottom