• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 11/18/14

he went from "I don't like it, maybe others will" to "this game is bad". not sure what happened there.

I think he's probably in the minority too. I think most people here on GAF enjoyed Driveclub, myself included.

Also yeah I like Drew, but he doesn't seem to play a lot of games. Not sure whether or not that disqualifies him lol.

faridmon

Rorie makes DA:I sound kind of OK if it wasnt 80 hours long. Cant imagine someone spending that much with what he described as mediocre story and characters and combat

I honestly never understand this kind of thinking and I have read this kind of comment alot around here in GAF.

Can't someone play and finish a game that he thinks its just OK? Can't someone actually spend a lot of time on a game where he thinks its mediocre?

I personally finished a lot of games (spend a whole lot one on them to boot) which I thought they were garbage such as Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus.

As a music fan, I have listened, and was addicted, to ''Anthem'' by I Heart Sharks and I do think its a mediocre album

Props to Jeff for recognizing rhe potential of the sp editor in fc4. Everyone else is just focusing on them removing mp (which sucks) but really fc is a sp game.

I just saw the poster for the Substitute and now I'm going to watch it sometime tonight.

EDIT: It's harder to find this film digitally than I expected.

TheSpoonyBard

Neo Member
100% this. Drew has never really contributed anything substantive to the podcast (with the exception of his weird trips/activities that are sometimes amusing). He never plays anything and doesn't seem to know much about what's going on in the industry. Rorie is a much better addition.

I agree. The most I've ever heard Drew talk was when defending Halo last week. In a way, I wish he WAS on this specific podcast just because there was so much talk about Halo MCC's problems.

RamBoleyn

Banned
Drew seems like a stand-up guy but yeah, he just doesn't play enough damn games! And while that's perfectly fine, should he really be a fourth chair on the most "inside baseball" games podcast on the web when they have someone better suited (Rorie)? Ehhh...

I just saw the poster for the Substitute and now I'm going to watch it sometime tonight.

EDIT: It's harder to find this film digitally than I expected.

Rent on Amazon for $3.99 but for $7.99 you can own it.......its almost to good to pass up!

Drew seems like a stand-up guy but yeah, he just doesn't play enough damn games! And while that's perfectly fine, should he really be a fourth chair on the most "inside baseball" games podcast on the web when they have someone better suited (Rorie)? Ehhh...

If your coming to the Bombcast for games, you might have made a wrong turn.

I just listened again and it really sounded to me like he was talking about this year, but when I mentioned it in the thread about the game awards Geoff called me out on it. Oh well, I don't want to get Jeff in hot water if he wasn't supposed to say anything about it so I'll keep quiet.

Is this the post your talking about?

So apparently the judges (various enthusiast press members) didn't vote for games in categories. They just sent a list of games they liked, and categories were decided later by Geoff and his people. It seems like a weird way to do things.

Because then I'm pretty sure the problem wasn't that you said the press voted for games (Geoff even talked about that on the annoncement stream), but how you described picking the categories. With Geoffs openness and all the voting press listed on the website, the whole process is surprisingly transparent.

Dimmle

I agree. I think it's useful to have a "normal" person who doesn't have to play games all the time and get his opinion on things. Rorie is good in small doses. He can start to get irritating after long periods of time.
Drew is just a fun, interesting guy. Who cares if he doesn't play as many games?

This isn't a video game podcast.

Is this the post your talking about?

Because then I'm pretty sure the problem wasn't that you said the press voted for games (Geoff even talked about that on the annoncement stream), but how you described picking the categories. With Geoffs openness and all the voting press listed on the website, the whole process is surprisingly transparent.
I relistened to the Bombcast and Jeff literally said all he did was send in a list of games he liked. That doesn't sound to me like he voted for a series of defined categories, but he was speaking off the cuff, so who knows.

KarmaCow

Just watch Cowboy Bebop. It's an anime that can be appreciated by anyone, even someone who doesn't like anime.

Though I would love to see Dan be forced to watch all of Kill la Kill as his second anime ever. It would probably turn him off forever since it's not a good show but it would be hilarious seeing someone react to all the garbage.

ryushe

Though I would love to see Dan be forced to watch all of Kill la Kill as his second anime ever. It would probably turn him off forever since it's not a good show but it would be hilarious seeing someone react to all the garbage.
In that same vein, I'd love for him to watch Gurren Lagann, but think that'd be a poor second Anime to watch because nothing will likely ever top it.

I think a good recent starter anime is "Sword of the Stranger". Scrumptiously animated and has a plot that is easy to appreciate. Not particularly original or complicated but it does what it does really well. Certainly one that translates the culture barrier well too. Stuff like FLCL and Gurren Lagan? Not so much. I like anime and find those to be obnoxious especially after hearing how amazing they were.

Jintor

I think a good recent starter anime is "Sword of the Stranger". Scrumptiously animated and has a plot that is easy to appreciate. Not particularly original or complicated but it does what it does really well. Certainly one that translates the culture barrier well too. Stuff like FLCL and Gurren Lagan? Not so much. I like anime and find those to be obnoxious especially after hearing how amazing they were.

This is Dan Rykart we're talking about here

If ever there was a man to appreciate a bunch of Japanese people rapping in English with an Opera as backing instrumentation as giant robots combine through the power of sheer willpower to fight a giant walking robot aircraft carrier with drills, that would be Dan Rykart

ryushe

There's FLCL....
You know what, you're right.

FLCL isn't better per se, but it is a better watch for our new brethren who has awoken to his AnimEye. It's short, too.

This is Dan Rykart we're talking about here

If ever there was a man to appreciate a bunch of Japanese people rapping in English with an Opera as backing instrumentation as giant robots combine through the power of sheer willpower to fight a giant walking robot aircraft carrier with drills, that would be Dan Rykart
Don't forget throwing universes as if they were throwing stars...

Top Bottom