• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 11/18/14

Superflat

What the hell? Those naturebox snacks actually look really goddamn good. Has anyone else looked at the website?

I used the free trial from one of the GB podcasts. The samples were really damn good. If I wasn't strapped for cash recently, I'd be pretty damn happy to stay subscribed to NatureBox.

FStop7

Banned
Dan also needs to watch The Laughing Man arc from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I generally do not like anime, but the Laughing Man saga (and the Individual Eleven arc in 2nd GiG) is straight up awesome.

And fuck it, GitS: Solid State Society was pretty great, too. But you need to watch the other stuff first in order to understand the story and to truly appreciate how fucked up things had become for Section 9.

Timeless

I'm glad Jeff used "champing at the bit" correctly. He's a name I can trust.

edit: I thought the silence at the UVB-76 part was the group's collective disgust for an emailer promoting their own content. It seemed mean.

Shingro

Rorie's position confuses me a bit. The same way someone can prefer a book's rhythm and tendencies over film or foreign film over american film or enjoy bollywood over all of it.

Different areas, cultures, and mediums do tend towards some specific things. I think it's absolutely legitimate to favor a medium because it often delivers you what you want.

I mean, you could say the same for liking certain series of games. "You shouldn't like genres of games, you should just care about whether it's a good game."

Like, sure.... but it can't be THAT strange to develop a taste for something specific right? I mean, giantbomb is all about knowing the tastes of the reviewers. "You know what we like/are like, so you can judge whether our opinion is useful to you."

Hell, in a certain light it's "seek what is objectively good" argument in a space objective good is the most disproven. =P

That being said if that's his personal taste to be sorta "Genre blind" That's cool too. Can someone's subjective good be what's objective good? o_O Or is it like a mobius strip "What is good? Things that are good."

(Also: I have seen Redline and that's absolutely the sort of insanity that Dan would love forever. Hope it's on his list)

JayEH

Haha Dan finally admits that Metal Gear is anime. Good on him. He now has the AnimEye. He should watch Ghost in the Shell next.

Kerned

Banned
I used it for 2-3 months over the summer. The snacks are really tasty but I didn't feel like I got enough for what I was paying.
I had the exact same experience. It was good, but the quantities of some items were really small. Also, I didn't like having to wait for them to deliver once we ran out. I know where stores are, I can just go get healthy snacks when I need them.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I will give Dan Rykert credit for happily chomping down his crow. Metal Gear is anime, and maybe he sorta kinda likes that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the "Metal Gear is anime" reminded me of them praising Asura's Wrath for the crazyness, and yet always mocked Dragonball or Naruto...its the same shit

FluxWaveZ

the "Metal Gear is anime" reminded me of them praising Asura's Wrath for the crazyness, and yet always mocked Dragonball or Naruto...its the same shit

I don't know about Naruto, but:
1146038-vinny_5.png
There's always been a certain liking for that anime. I believe it was Ryan who described it as the ultimate power fantasy.

hamchan

OH GOD I FORGOT TO DUB UVB-76 INTO THIS THING

YOU'LL SEE WHAT I MEAN

That part is gonna seem really weird, I guess.

First, I thought you were all being mean to that one guy's email. Then, I even turned up my volume to try and hear UVB-76 in case you did splice it in and it was just super soft. When I couldn't hear it I went back to the you guys were being mean conclusion.

Lijik

I think Rorie was the one to bring up how Ubisoft clustered their big releases this month, and its reminded how this has always been a problem for them. One of the factors that lead to Beyond Good and Evil not selling well was because they launched it the same day as Sands of Time. Ubisoft having their own games compete against each other for gamers dollars just seems to be a consistent thing with them. I dont get why they do it.

ArcLyte

Before listening I couldn't help but think maybe Dan won't tell one of his seemingly endless idiotic stories, and maybe save himself or his coworkers some embarrassment. Wrong. I'm wrong every damn time.

Fjordson

Feels good to be hyped about the Bombcast every week like the old days. Thank you Dan.

Also, those pictures in the OP are great. Especially Jeff's and long- haired Dan.

Deadstar

Feels good to be hyped about the Bombcast every week like the old days. Thank you Dan.

Also, those pictures in the OP are great. Especially Jeff's and long- haired Dan.

I'm listening to the Interstellar soundtrack and staring at the images in the op. It's freaking me out.

Recall

NJPW Toukon Retsuden is Yuke's precursor series to the WWF Smackdown series. For that one other person who cares.

2 wrestling obsessed people yet they know nothing about any other wrestling games.

Recall

Ryan was the biggest Dragon Ball fan known to man. Ryan loved Asura's Wrath as did Patrick as Patrick was willing to give it a chance.

"What's that website where you can get the free anime for a month?"

"I don't know" - Jeff and Brad.

Hahaha didn't they just advertise it last week? :p I guess they don't want to advertise it for free.

So are they not allowed to mention crunchyroll? Someone said "hey isn't there that thing you can subscribe to" during the anime discussion and everyone was like "I DON'T KNOW!". I just thought it was weird, thought they did crunchyroll spots previously

patapuf

Rorie's position confuses me a bit. The same way someone can prefer a book's rhythm and tendencies over film or foreign film over american film or enjoy bollywood over all of it.

Different areas, cultures, and mediums do tend towards some specific things. I think it's absolutely legitimate to favor a medium because it often delivers you what you want.

I mean, you could say the same for liking certain series of games. "You shouldn't like genres of games, you should just care about whether it's a good game."

Like, sure.... but it can't be THAT strange to develop a taste for something specific right? I mean, giantbomb is all about knowing the tastes of the reviewers. "You know what we like/are like, so you can judge whether our opinion is useful to you."

Hell, in a certain light it's "seek what is objectively good" argument in a space objective good is the most disproven. =P

That being said if that's his personal taste to be sorta "Genre blind" That's cool too. Can someone's subjective good be what's objective good? o_O Or is it like a mobius strip "What is good? Things that are good."

(Also: I have seen Redline and that's absolutely the sort of insanity that Dan would love forever. Hope it's on his list)

Some works are of such great quality that they appeal to a wider audience that is usually not into the genre.

Of course it's not a 100% percent thing and some people refuse to look at anything beyond the genre they already like but in all media/genres there's works one knows most people will enjoy.

Top Bottom