• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glee Season 2 |OT| How Sue "C's" it (and many blindly hate it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamphuntr

This episode was dumb. Time to bail out of this show.

If I were Kurt I would have come back with a baseball bat and kicked everyone's ass.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Vamphuntr said:
This episode was dumb. Time to bail out of this show.

If I were Kurt I would have come back with a baseball bat and kicked everyone's ass.
No you wouldn't have.

Magnus

I only fell in love with Adele's song a couple weeks ago, still fresh to me. Was so awesome to hear a new tight version of it tonight.

Season 2's been so hit and miss; I consider tonight a hit though.

Tucah

you speak so well
Okay episode but bogged down by some shitty song choices (Friday) and some shitty plot devices (Kurt as prom queen). Sue continues to be useless and I wasn't a big fan of Jesse (loved him and Rachel's Rolling in the Deep cover however).

Koomaster

WinoMcCougarstein said:
Why are all the characters on this show so dumb? Why the hell would they hire Jesse as a consultant?
Especially since they are worried about money to make it to New York. Unless he works for like $5 (great business plan) I think the Glee kids are going to have to do another bake sale or kissing boothe or some dumb thing to hire him to give them an 'edge' or whatever.

Rolling in the Deep was the only worthwhile part of the episode. Everything else was... well, it wasn't terrible (bar Friday) like last week, but it was also dull as shit. This show has completely lost all footing it ever had.

BJK

For the social pariahs of the High School, the Glee Club sure did seem to have a lot of prom court contenders...

Maybe if I gave a crap about any of the shipper drama on the show, this episode would feel less horrible.

mcrae

markatisu said:
Did you miss the entire 2nd half of S1?

notice i didnt use the word 'missed' i used 'didnt see' cause yeah, i only saw like 5-6 episodes in season 1, all near the start

thanks for the answer i guess

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Was totally expecting a Brittany/Santana kiss near the end. All that built up tension with no release. What a ripoff.

That was a whole new level of awful.

Karofsky crying like a little bitch to Kurt was hilarious. Was i seriously meant to buy into that apology? The acting was horrific.

Sue's scenes had me repeatedly uttering "WTF is this shit?!". They should just kill her off if they're going to continue giving Lynch such awful material.

Santana was, again, the sole highlight, though i fully expect the writers to run her character into the ground soon enough.

857NG.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ZephyrFate said:
Rolling in the Deep was the only worthwhile part of the episode. Everything else was... well, it wasn't terrible (bar Friday) like last week, but it was also dull as shit. This show has completely lost all footing it ever had.
I thought it was a terrible cover. The Friday cover was a million times better.

Plywood said:
I thought it was a terrible cover. The Friday cover was a million times better.
Huh? It's the exact same delivery as John Legend's cover, which is a damn good cover of Adele's song. Friday was a million times better? Give me what you're smoking, it's giving you wrong opinions.

Yeah, the Rolling in the Deep cover was shit. Michele and Groff can both obviously sing, but their voices are way too, uh, white for a soul number. (Yes, I know Adele is white. You know what I mean.)

ZephyrFate said:
Huh? It's the exact same delivery as John Legend's cover, which is a damn good cover of Adele's song.

Similar arrangement, yes. Same delivery, not at all.

Meier

Rolling in the Deep was probably the worst cover in the history of the show. Absolutely horrific with no redeeming qualities.

I lost my shit when they started singing Black Kids!

Father_Brain said:
Yeah, the Rolling in the Deep cover was shit. Michele and Groff can both obviously sing, but their voices are way too, uh, white for a soul number. (Yes, I know Adele is white. You know what I mean.)

Similar arrangement, yes. Same delivery, not at all.
Nobody but a black person can sing John Legend's cover! EVER! This argument is ridiculous.

Meier

ZephyrFate said:
Nobody but a black person can sing John Legend's cover! EVER! This argument is ridiculous.
I don't give a shit about any John Legend cover or the color of their skin. The song sounded like hot garbage. The backing vocal was atrocious and seemed completely out of place and they both sounded terrible. Rachel is meant to sing show tunes and that guy sounded like he was trying to try out for some shitty mainstream rock band.

anaron

Spotless Mind said:
That was a whole new level of awful.

Karofsky crying like a little bitch to Kurt was hilarious. Was i seriously meant to buy into that apology? The acting was horrific.

Sue's scenes had me repeatedly uttering "WTF is this shit?!". They should just kill her off if they're going to continue giving Lynch such awful material.

Santana was, again, the sole highlight, though i fully expect the writers to run her character into the ground soon enough.
Nothing to say about the DRAMATIC shoving? :p

This show isn't even that entertaining at this point. Just endlessly embarrassing. It's sad too because there are some truly talented people suckered into the shit material.

Meier said:
I don't give a shit about any John Legend cover or the color of their skin. The song sounded like hot garbage. The backing vocal was atrocious and seemed completely out of place and they both sounded terrible. Rachel is meant to sing show tunes and that guy sounded like he was trying to try out for some shitty mainstream rock band.
Agreed.

Lea Michele has powerful pipes, but that doesn't mean she can pull off any song they give her. A song like Rolling in the Deep requires a soulful voice, and that's something Michele doesn't have. Same goes for Groff.

It was an atrocious cover of an amazing song.

Re: Rolling, their voices didn't blend at all on the high notes. I was glad they ad libber lower on the second chorus. Bleh. They just could not pull it off.

But Friday and Dance were awesome.

Xilium

I think a lot of people here need to just admit that this show is their guilty pleasure. Whether it's because you see it as being so bad it's good or you simply like complaining about it how bad it is every week, you're still watching the show and getting enjoyment out of it in one form or another.

Xilium said:
I think a lot of people here need to just admit that this show is their guilty pleasure. Whether it's because you see it as being so bad it's good or you simply like complaining about it how bad it is every week, you're still watching the show and getting enjoyment out of it in one form or another.

I think the thread title ought to be changed as there is sufficient reason to hate it.

This was my first episode since last season. I had little else to do so I thought I'd see how things have changed given almost a full season to work with. What i found was exactly more of the same.

Finn/Rachel/Quinn triangle is STILL going on. Seriously? We pissed on drama and went full speed into melodrama. Its stuff we've seen before and its not interesting.

These kids backstab each other so often they ought to want to literally kill each other. But it seems an entirely different universe exists within the four walls of the Glee classroom because they're all BFFs in that little bubble.

Nice to see an episode with no Will. A glee episode about the people in Glee. Nice.

Karofsky's breakdown in front of Kurt was pathetic and hilarious. This also leads to Kurt's winning of Prom Queen. They make a point to say Kurt dresses and goes through all these theatrics because he wants the attention. Then, the school gives him that attention and he runs out screaming hate crime. WTF. Earlier, Santana is leading Kurt around as his bodyguard and she announces "Make way! Gay coming through" but not one person gives a flying fig. Nobody even looks at them. No sideway glances or hateful stares. We're given no indication the school body as a whole hates Kurt, but that is the motivation behind this heinous and shaming Prom Queen vote?

Most kid would vote for a guy as Prom Queen simply because he is a guy. They wouldn't even have to know he was gay! It happens all the time. It happens every time on the internet. Ryan Murphy knows his show about showtune singing kids has a lot of gay followers and you know what this is? Pandering. Logic or sensible narrative take a back seat to his agenda.

Also, as has been said the songs were terrible. Simply terrible. I guess the guy who usually did the songs was out sick this week. I'm trying to come up with some things I did like about this episode but I'm not finding any. Probably the worst episode to try out after not watched for awhile.

gerg

Teh Hamburglar said:
Also, as has been said the songs were terrible. Simply terrible. I guess the guy who usually did the songs was out sick this week. I'm trying to come up with some things I did like about this episode but I'm not finding any. Probably the worst episode to try out after not watched for awhile.

I think I preferred the Black Kids cover to the original.

And Friday was better than the original, too, but that's not hard.

The Rolling in the Deep cover, though, counts as one of the worst renditions the show has done.

gerg said:
I think I preferred the Black Kids cover to the original.

And Friday was better than the original, too, but that's not hard.

The Rolling in the Deep cover, though, counts as one of the worst renditions the show has done.

Dancing Queen wasn't that bad. But I dont think you can screw up a song like that. As long as you have the melody the vocals can't really screw it up much.

Meier

I liked the Friday cover a lot personally but I think Jar of Hearts is one of the worst songs I've ever heard so obviously I was not a fan of that selection. The song sounded fine for what it is though.

MicH

I really disliked the background vocals in Rolling in the Deep. What was up with those? Horrible.

I thought the numbers this episode were kind of hit-and-miss. I liked Friday and Dancing Queen, but they stayed pretty true to the originals versions. The rest were forgettable.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
ZephyrFate said:
Huh? It's the exact same delivery as John Legend's cover, which is a damn good cover of Adele's song. Friday was a million times better? Give me what you're smoking, it's giving you wrong opinions.
Maybe I'm just too much a fan of the original. Though I'm listening to the John Legend cover since you mentioned it and I'm liking it much more than the Glee cover. I feel Meier is spot on with his criticisms of it.
krypt0nian said:
But Friday and Dance were awesome.
*hi5*

Got around to watching the Prom episode tonight. Overall pretty good but the Rolling in the Deep cover was terrible. The singing seemed off and the background vocals were almost as prominent as the actual singing. They should have just added the music in.

I've never watched the Friday song all the way through but I thought the Glee cast did a pretty good job on it. I had never heard the breakdown of the days so I got a pretty good laugh out of that. And you just can't hate Dancing Queen. My friend and I couldn't stop laughing when that's the song that came in with Karofsky up on stage. That must have hit him right in the gut.

And one last note, I was kind of hoping we'd see Puck with the punch at some point. Maybe show it was planned all along for a fakeout.

I've been watching this show since day one, and I'm finally done with it. Just caught the Prom episode on Hulu, and it felt like the final destination of terrible Glee has been heading towards. I found absolutely no redeeming qualities about the episode. There isn't a single character I feel any compassion or understanding for anymore. Their actions and motivations are idiotic. The songs feel irrelevant. Maybe they always were and now I'm just noticing - I dunno. Point is, it's hit rock bottom for me.

God I miss early season 1, when the show still had a compelling edge to it. I loved Glee, but now it's just embarrassing. Sorry for being a hater, but I wanted to share my frustrations.

gerg

The "go kill yourself" remark seemed pretty... insensitive given recent teenage suicides and the whole "It Gets Better" campaign.

Maybe the whole speech was delivered slightly in-character, though.

Emonga said:
tumblr_ll8m5hatx71qb74s3o1_500.jpg

I approve of this makeover
I feel bad for CHORD OVERSTREET! (as AV Club likes to call him).

They've given him nothing to do pretty much the whole season, and when they finally give him something substantial, it's a really lame, "Holy crap, my family is homeless," C plot.

BertramCooper said:
I feel bad for CHORD OVERSTREET! (as AV Club likes to call him).

They've given him nothing to do pretty much the whole season, and when they finally give him something substantial, it's a really lame, "Holy crap, my family is homeless," C plot.

Well, sometime around the production of episode 4 (Duets), the creators jettisoned the gay storyline that apparently the reason why the character was conceived and added to the show's cast in the first place. It's not terribly surprising that they've struggled to find a storyline for him, considering that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom