• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater 2: Rage Burst |OT| "We stand defiant"

Mephala

As someone who only played GE Burst on PSP, GE2 is god damn wonderful. I forget how addicting faster paced combat can be. I've gone full offense stats whenever possible and I'm killing the bigger beasties in a few minues. Some of the missions with 2-3 takes a bit longer but nothing over 15 minutes yet which is a far cry from Monster Hunter's slow starts and pacing. Not needing to back up for sharpening and having one larger zone over several smaller ones seems like a pretty good idea. I just wish you could chase some of the monsters when they hop over rivers and not, especially given I can easily air glide that distance with the spear if not for invisible wall.

I haven't even jumped onto other weapons yet I picked spears and stuck with them keeping in mind to try the pimp looking scythes for fun later but the combat is kind of addicting. It isn't overly complex at the moment and the camera will still get a bit wonky at times but stringing together long combos is such a fantastic feeling.

Blood Arts are such a brilliant idea and such fun to play around with. I do wish there was a sort of training hall for your to test them like the bullets testing range though.

Currently I have my spear sets to either ground infinite combo focus or air infinite combo focus. The air variant takes a bit more skill in trying to keep your blade transformed, landing occasionally to quick bite to refill your meter before backflipping and dashing back in for more air mashing.

On Difficulty 4 so far which is still not difficult at all. I seem to remember this to be true all the way up to around difficulty 8 in GERB. Hope it picks up a bit more soon.

Lucentto

Banned
Playing GE2RB in 4k/60fps on PC is sublime. Game is fun, I enjoy it a lot more than GEB that I played on the PSP a while back.

Are there guides in the game or online that explain what all the UI on the screen means? I don't even know what the damn bar in the middle of the screen with the levels is trying to tell me. And why do I get this glow around me at times?

Edgeward

Are there guides in the game or online that explain what all the UI on the screen means? I don't even know what the damn bar in the middle of the screen with the levels is trying to tell me. And why do I get this glow around me at times?

If you don't have the vita version which come with the manual then I took photos of the manual explaining the hud
zT3eyJW.jpg
fNDu0mG.jpg

Edgeward

Can you take a pic showing what exactly you are asking about? I'm not sure what exactly you mean. Unless you mean the number under the green bar

SkyOdin

Holy crap, thanks so much for the comprehensive post! It's really helped me get a handle on the underlying systems.

Quick question re the buster sword though. I really don't understand that weapon. I'm trying to play it like a Monster Hunter style great sword, but I'm really not feeling it. Monsters move much faster than in MH, and I find the charge way too slow to deal with them. The fact that damage is so dependent on hitting weak spots is also an issue for me. I just don't find the controls as precise as MH, which means I tend to have difficulty hitting weak spots, which further wastes my charge attacks.
I'm glad I was able to help you.

As far as Buster Blades go, it may be hard for me to figure out what advice to give (since I can't see exactly what is happening for you), but I'll try to offer what advice I can. For one, Charge Crush attacks are not the main mode of attack in GE that they are with the greatsword in Monster Hunter. Think of them as more of an opportunistic option. If you see a chance, take it, but don't go out of your way for one. They tend to be more useful against enemies which have a sunder/crush weakness on top of their body, like a Yaksha. The wide vertical strike makes hitting high targets really easy, but that can interfere with hitting a lower point. For targets low to the ground, like the legs of a large Aragami, the basic square button attack works really well. For more eleveated, but not too high, targets, the triangle button attack works better. The reach of the buster blade is wide, and its attacks are slow, so it is a tricky weapon to use, but practice always helps.

One thing to remember is that, while you can't move, you can adjust your rotational position while charging or holding the Charge Crush, so you can adjust your aim all they way up until you release the attack. I often start charging first and only begin to aim later.

As a whole, figuring out the right timing to land slow hits is really important to all characters in God Eater because of the Charge Devour attack. It has roughly the same charge time as the buster blade Charge Crush, so opportunities to use them are pretty similar. When I first started, I could only land either when an Aragami was knocked down, or when they went to feed. These days, I see more opportunities, such as when they charge up a ranged attack against one of my allies, or when I am behind them during a slower attack. Getting used to your enemies tells and attack patterns will reveal more moments of vulnerability you can exploit.

If all else fails, you can use the Quick charge skill to use both the Charge Crush and the Devour more easily.

Can you not do a raw quick devour? Seems like you need to do a normal attack first before you can use quick devour
There is no quick devour in GE2 like there is in GE:R. The combo devour and charge devour are your only options. However, I discovered from the tutorial videos in GE:2 that you can cancel a shield block into a combo devour, which has its uses. If just want to devour a defeated Aragami to collect materials, the shield devour cancel into combo devour might be the fastest method.

One question I have though; for weapon augments, can you only apply them once? I put a few of them on one of my spears, and it made the spear into a +2 version, but I don't think I am able to remove them, only replace them with other augments. Actually, I just really need to look up the whole augmentation system in general, because I'm not sure why some of my weapons became +1 and +2 and others didn't.
You do use up the abandoned God Arc when you install a skill into one of your weapons. Now, the reason that some of your weapons are +1 or +2 and others are not is because only some abandoned God Arcs come with a bonus +1 upgrade. It is listed along with the skill that the abandoned God Arc provides.

Oof I'm overwhelmed and not even out of Difficulty 1! I double dipped on Resurrection, but didn't get to spend much time with it and hadn't played since I played God Eater (1) on my PSP.

So... recommended time to jump into skill rebuilding? Should I wait until I have a more upgraded weapon? Just go for it? What skills are generally favored or is it preference much like MH (which I have put insanely too many hours into)?

Also, many many thanks for (both of) your extremely informative posts, SkyOdin!
Again, I am glad to be of use!

You can jump into skill rebuilding whenever you want. You get three abandoned God Arcs every time you clear a mission, so you will never be lacking in material to work with. However, the skills the abandoned God Arcs come with will get better the further you go in the game. There is no downside to starting early, but the benefits are going to be small until you get the better skills late in the game. However, you might want to save the +1 bonuses for weapons that you really like. You will need a lot of the them to get a meaningful increase to stats. On the other hand, the +1 bonuses do carry over if you upgrade the weapon, so you can start early if you find a weapon you do like.

The bar in the middle of the screen is the Burst gauge. It appears when you enter Burst mode, which is also signaled by your character starting to glow. I explained Burst mode in detail in that post I linked from my last large post in this thread. In short, you entered Burst mode either because you Devoured a living enemy, or you received an Aragami bullet from an ally (which will be a lot more common early on in GE2 than it was in GE:R). Don't worry, Burst mode is a good thing.

The other UI elements during missions include your HP, OP (ammo), and Stamina at the top left. Below that is the HP and status of all of your allies. The minimap is at the top-right, while your currently equipped bullets are listed at the bottom-right. Above the mini-map is the mission timer, which tells you how much time is left to complete the mission, and the endurance gauge, which tells you how many times you can die/respawn before you fail the mission. The menu for selecting items and orders appears at the bottom of the screen when opened. The Burst Gauge also mentions if you have an available Condensed Aragami Bullet (see prior mentioned link for details).

Can anyone link to an interesting battle in the game? I ask as a MH fan who's interested in this but doesn't know what the actual gameplay looks like. I would look, myself, but I wouldn't know what's early/late game.

A mid- to late-game fight would be cool. No commentary a plus. For both games, I suppose.

When your allies hit you with a link burst your burst gauge will increase to a maximum of 3 levels.

The bar in the middle of the screen is the Burst gauge. It appears when you enter Burst mode, which is also signaled by your character starting to glow. I explained Burst mode in detail in that post I linked from my last large post in this thread. In short, you entered Burst mode either because you Devoured a living enemy, or you received an Aragami bullet from an ally (which will be a lot more common early on in GE2 than it was in GE:R). Don't worry, Burst mode is a good thing.

The other UI elements during missions include your HP, OP (ammo), and Stamina at the top left. Below that is the HP and status of all of your allies. The minimap is at the top-right, while your currently equipped bullets are listed at the bottom-right. Above the mini-map is the mission timer, which tells you how much time is left to complete the mission, and the endurance gauge, which tells you how many times you can die/respawn before you fail the mission. The menu for selecting items and orders appears at the bottom of the screen when opened. The Burst Gauge also mentions if you have an available Condensed Aragami Bullet (see prior mentioned link for details).
Thanks to you both for your help and patience! Odin I'll be sure to check out your post.

SkyOdin

Can anyone link to an interesting battle in the game? I ask as a MH fan who's interested in this but doesn't know what the actual gameplay looks like. I would look, myself, but I wouldn't know what's early/late game.

A mid- to late-game fight would be cool. No commentary a plus. For both games, I suppose.

Not wanting to look for GE2 stuff (since I am still early in it), I dug up a video showing off one of my favorite monsters from very late in God Eater: Resurrection. It probably shows up late in God Eater 2 as well. There are a few notable gameplay differences between the two games, but most is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WogyTdy6d3w

Edgeward

There is no quick devour in GE2 like there is in GE:R. The combo devour and charge devour are your only options. However, I discovered from the tutorial videos in GE:2 that you can cancel a shield block into a combo devour, which has its uses. If just want to devour a defeated Aragami to collect materials, the shield devour cancel into combo devour might be the fastest method.

Ah, the shield cancel will work better since it won't change my positioning. Thanks, that's most helpful

Not wanting to look for GE2 stuff (since I am still early in it), I dug up a video showing off one of my favorite monsters from very late in God Eater: Resurrection. It probably shows up late in God Eater 2 as well. There are a few notable gameplay differences between the two games, but most is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WogyTdy6d3w
Thanks for the video!

Looks interesting. The hits don't feel meaty or like they have any weight to them, though :(.

What's the Wrath stuff that kept getting collected throughout the battle? I'm gonna guess "no," but there's no breakable body parts on monsters, right? I saw what looked like Rage mode in that fight on the monster, so that's cool.

Is that battle track specific to that monster or area? It was pretty good/funky. Dug it a lot.

Would you mind showing another fight? Would love to see another if you have the time.

SkyOdin

Thanks for the video!

Looks interesting. The hits don't feel meaty or like they have any weight to them, though :(.

What's the Wrath stuff that kept getting collected throughout the battle? I'm gonna guess "no," but there's no breakable body parts on monsters, right? I saw what looked like Rage mode in that fight on the monster, so that's cool.

Is that battle track specific to that monster or area? It was pretty good/funky. Dug it a lot.

Would you mind showing another fight? Would love to see another if you have the time.
The hits do have less impact than in Monster Hunter. The game as a whole has a very different speed and momentum. There are breakable parts on monsters. The "bond break" messages are notification of that. The appearance of the monster's parts will change as well. The "Cassius' Wrath" that was being collected were Aragami Bullets. Basically, you can "eat" parts off a monster then shoot its attacks back at it. In this case, Cassius' Wrath is the name of one of those attacks you can shoot.

The music tracks are cool, since each stage has its own theme, but that theme is remixed based on what monster you are fighting. So each stage has three or four different versions of its song, plus there are special songs for certain special fights.

I looked around for more videos, but I couldn't find anything to my satisfaction on Youtube easily. I wanted to show off a fight against multiple Aragami, but that is hard to find.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thanks for the video!

It wont have the same sort of general impact for the most part even the larger weapons such as the buster sword or hammer.

This game as others have mentioned its about speed and more "action" based in the sense of hacking away at a target.

There are breakable body parts on monsters and you will need to break parts just like monster hunter to increase your chance for certain parts.

For example the giant monkey looking monster you can break the weird pipes on its back, its mask like face and tail. That should be one of the earlier monsters you will face. There will be other types where you would have to break off armored pieces in order to get at the softer inners.

The wolf looking one Marduk is like that with its legs. If you break off the hard outer shell the legs has your melee strikes will do more damage after.

To break parts though you need to generally hit it with the correct damage type otherwise your chances of breaking it are pretty limited. You can tell if damage type is effective by the hit effect on contact.

Ascheroth

is there any chance the blood will get modded in?

I've read somewhere that the difference is so miniscule that it doesn't even matter.
I can't say I've felt anything missing while playing Resurrection lol.

----
Anyway, I thought where the best place to give some impressions about Resurrection is, since it comes with GE2 its OT isn't that active anymore... so I'll just leave them here.

The short: game is fuuuuuuuunnnnn.
The combat is really a ton of fun once you get used to some weapons, unlock some Predator moves (Air Glide Devour < 3) and learn its various system. There's something really satisfying about managing attacking, evading/blocking, and keeping your Burst mode up. Bonus points if it's co-op and you also have to watch out for your companions to Link Burst and heal them when necessary.

Weapons-wise I've mainly played Scythe and Spear so far and prefer the latter. However currently I'm trying the Buster Sword since I was itching for something slower and... man is it satisfying to pull of a Charge Attack and see a huge damage number pop up.

I'm in Difficulty 4 right now, and my favorite enemy so far has to be the Quadriga. It's not particularly difficult, but it's design and moveset is awesome. I mean how can you not like a freaking skeleton tank thing that shoots missiles and rockets.
In general though, I feel like every new enemy is cooler than the last so I'm excited to find out what other Aragami are waiting.

The best NPC character is also definitely Kanon. Her dialogue is hilarious and how can you not like a team member that has a skill that increases her chances of dishing out friendly fire.

Parakeetman

The best NPC character is also definitely Kanon. Her dialogue is hilarious and how can you not like a team member that has a skill that increases her chances of dishing out friendly fire.

That and the fact that she is one of the few characters who uses the healing shot helps also. Though her friendly fire comes at the worst times lol

Emalde

OH. He made it seem like something huge was happening so I was focusing on the sentence under the screen lol.

None of it is huge, but there's a general undercurrent of weird localization/quality buffoonery throughout the entirety of GE2:RB's campaign which continues to lead me to believe we're playing a functional port of a years-old PSP release we never received.

Resurrection has none of these issues and is cleaned up amazingly well, especially in comparison to the original version that we did get stateside.

None of it is huge, but there's a general undercurrent of weird localization/quality buffoonery throughout the entirety of GE2:RB's campaign which continues to lead me to believe we're playing a functional port of a years-old PSP release we never received.

Resurrection has none of these issues and is cleaned up amazingly well, especially in comparison to the original version that we did get stateside.

Weren't there rumours that GE2RB was going to make its way over and for some reason got canned? It would explain the lower quality audio if some of it belongs to that archive from a few years back. Hmmm.

Ascheroth

Huh, interesting. So does this mean Resurrection is actually the 'higher quality' game of the 2 despite it being the prequel? ..Although it did originally come out after 2.
Makes me wonder if there will be another edition of GE2 after GE3 comes out (if that's a thing).

Parakeetman

Huh, interesting. So does this mean Resurrection is actually the 'higher quality' game of the 2 despite it being the prequel? ..Although it did originally come out after 2.
Makes me wonder if there will be another edition of GE2 after GE3 comes out (if that's a thing).

Doubt it because Rage Burst is the 2nd ver of GE2.

Only reason why Resurrection has extra content in it with stuff that has been added or changed was due to no one would buy it otherwise.

I'm enjoying the game so far but I kinda wish that you could pick a blood art for each of your attacks. As it stands it feels like it just comes down to knowing which will be the best for breaking a monsters bonds then spamming it throughout a fight because it's your most powerful attack. If you could make each attack option viable then it would feel a little more like Monster Hunter where you've got multiple options in combat.

I have a scrub question though: Is there a weapon switch attack for the spear? I'd really like to be able to seamlessly combo into my firearm dump out all my OC then switch back.

Haha did anyone notice:

How you are referred to as "Vice captain" before you actually get promoted soon after?

Kinda deflates the moment entirely.

Emalde

Haha did anyone notice:

How you are referred to as "Vice captain" before you actually get promoted soon after?

Kinda deflates the moment entirely.

To be fair this is actually fairly well covered, everybody immediately deflects the proposition on to you when it comes up the first time and starts using it to refer to you, so Julius just kind of shrugs and hand-waves a reason for it to be official (THE POWER OF EVOCATION etc)

Intel_89

How's the framerate overall? I've seen some videos where it has quite some dips in multiplayer, which isn't what I was expecting considering this is pretty much an uprezzed Vita port.

To be fair this is actually fairly well covered, everybody immediately deflects the proposition on to you when it comes up the first time and starts using it to refer to you, so Julius just kind of shrugs and hand-waves a reason for it to be official (THE POWER OF EVOCATION etc)

Haha fair enough. Wish I had more time to play. Really enjoying it and I can't believe we're actually playing it. I feel like we've been waiting since the dawn of the Vita. Never thought we'd get it.

Saphirax

That's to be expected but disappointing nonetheless.
So GER was actually much more recent than GE2RB? Which one that I should put my time more on?

Correct. If you're in it just for the gameplay you can skip GE:R. If you're interested in the story/characters you should start with GE:R and then move to GE2:RB.

Shengar

Correct. If you're in it just for the gameplay you can skip GE:R. If you're interested in the story/characters you should start with GE:R and then move to GE2:RB.

At first I thought I should play GER, move to GE2RB, and then go back to GER for the online play since GER have newer features.

Saphirax

At first I thought I should play GER, move to GE2RB, and then go back to GER for the online play since GER have newer features.

Haven't gotten to RB yet, but people prefer its gameplay over GE:R. It's mainly due to blood arts which aren't in Resurrection, I believe.

Wouldn't surprise me if GE2:RB's online was more populated than GE:R.

SkyOdin

Well, GE:R is still a remake of the original game. While it has some iterative improvements over GE2 in gameplay mechanics, GE2 has way more stages and monsters.

Shengar

Haven't gotten to RB yet, but people prefer its gameplay over GE:R. It's mainly due to blood arts which aren't in Resurrection, I believe.

Wouldn't surprise me if GE2:RB's online was more populated than GE:R.

Well, GE:R is still a remake of the original game. While it has some iterative improvements over GE2 in gameplay mechanics, GE2 has way more stages and monsters.

Nice, thanks for the answer. I have to ask this question because you know how much time you can sink into hunting games.

Rarius

Bought it, and playing through the first now. It's good, like, really really good. Had Freedom Wars had the kind of depth this game has, I think it would have been a top tier hunting game. For one, this game actually has characters.

Also, two questions.

1. When consuming, is the charge only good for getting ammo for weapons? You get all of the materials from even quick bites?

2. I have no idea how to make a good bullet. The debuffer ones I make do basically nothing

Parakeetman

Bought it, and playing through the first now. It's good, like, really really good. Had Freedom Wars had the kind of depth this game has, I think it would have been a top tier hunting game. For one, this game actually has characters.

Also, two questions.

1. When consuming, is the charge only good for getting ammo for weapons? You get all of the materials from even quick bites?

2. I have no idea how to make a good bullet. The debuffer ones I make do basically nothing

Mats only come from dead aragami.

Top Bottom