• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III: Demo Impressions Thread

Cheez-It

Ohh! Multiple juvenile themes and repetitive play, but pretty!

Apart from the framerate issues. And odd lighting issues.

Combichristoffersen said:
A week? I thought that was the allotted time you were given during the tutorial (which also acts as a prequel), where you have to create the universe and a bunch of creatures (supposedly this is like a cheap Spore knockoff) in six days, and spend the seventh day worrying that maybe letting those monkeys evolve might not have been such a good idea after all (but you'll just let your son, the main protagonist, deal with that shit later on).
Sorry, you are right. I accidentally googled The second cuming of Jesus by Wisdom Log.

Now it all makes sense.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
painful fart said:
Sorry, you are right. I accidentally googled The second cuming of Jesus by Wisdom Log.

Now it all makes sense.

Second cuming of Jesus was great. Especially the Roman orgy with Pontius Pilate, Jesus, Mary Magdalene and Biggus Dickus.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
TTP said:
It doesn't seem to have dynamic shadow-casting tho. In Uncharted 2, every object hit by the flashlight realistically projects a shadow, be it environment or buddies. Not so in GOW3.

Killzone 2 lighting system beats both.

Here for example, while it looks great, shadow-casting is totally wrong (look at head selfshadowing in the first shot. In the second shot, Kratos' back is magically illuminated).
[IG]http://i34.tinypic.com/2i8k4ns.jpg[/IMG]
[IG]http://i36.tinypic.com/23hq14y.jpg[/IMG]

Thought this was an older build of the game.

vpance

TTP said:
Here for example, while it looks great, shadow-casting is totally wrong (look at head selfshadowing in the first shot. In the second shot, Kratos' back is magically illuminated).
[IM]http://i34.tinypic.com/2i8k4ns.jpg[/IMG]
[IM]http://i36.tinypic.com/23hq14y.jpg[/IMG]

His back is probably illuminated for gameplay reasons. Actually, it's probably the camera guy following him everywhere with the flood light :)

nelsonroyale said:
wait people are saying the demon riding was done in Batman before this? Well it was, but it barely registered to me...offered a little variety, but nothing particularly noteworthy
Well... It was also done in God of war 2. Except it was an ennemy that came to ride cyclops. I guess Kratos has learnt something from his battles...

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I never notice framerate issues in games unless it goes down to a slideshow. I thought the demo was smooth as butter. Is it really that distracting?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Shurs said:
The developers have already said it won't run at 60fps.
They said it would be a 60FPS game but they would let framerate dip below that, but never below 30. This demo however is more like a 40FPS game with one or two scenes where the framerate really goes to 60FPS :\

It's really the one single thing I wish they can somehow work out, even if it means locking it to 30FPS. 30FPS with some good motion blur feels a lot smoother than this uneven 40FPS they have here (it's not possible to have an even 40FPS on our TVs anyways, it all has to be one frame skip, then two frame skips, then one again, etc). I'd much rather see them disable v-sync too - tearing with smoother motion would be better than what they have here in my opinion.

acevans2

vpance said:
His back is probably illuminated for gameplay reasons. Actually, it's probably the camera guy following him everywhere with the flood light :)
:lol You're going to have me thinking about the "camera guy" following around my video game characters now.

CrayzeeCarl said:
I guess I should consider myself lucky that I never notice framerate issues in games unless it goes down to a slideshow. I thought the demo was smooth as butter. Is it really that distracting?

You are blind or lucky. :D

Lord Error said:
They said it would be a 60FPS game but they would let framerate dip below that, but never below 30. This demo however is more like a 40FPS game with one or two scenes where the framerate really goes to 60FPS :\

It's really the one single thing I wish they can somehow work out, even if it means locking it to 30FPS. 30FPS with some good motion blur feels a lot smoother than this uneven 40FPS they have here (it's not possible to have an even 40FPS on our TVs anyways, it all has to be one frame skip, then two frame skips, then one again, etc). I'd much rather see them disable v-sync too - tearing with smoother motion would be better than what they have here in my opinion.

No. A thousand times no. Tearing is worse than dropping frames imo.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
CrayzeeCarl said:
Me too lol. I rarely notice framerate drops/tearing/etc that makes gaf go crazy as long as it doesnt go insanely choppy.

chris0701

I was not also blown away by graphics until the last part of flying out the cave(cut-scene)

The image is really clean,QTE section and model are subtle.But the enviorment left too much to be improved.

M_A_C

Corran Horn said:
Me too lol. I rarely notice framerate drops/tearing/etc that makes gaf go crazy as long as it doesnt go insanely choppy.

I do notice, and I still though this demo was really smooth. Everything about it looks amazing.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Posted?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-godofwar3-performance-blog-post

So, the frame-rate. Yes, it's E3 code. Yes, there's obviously a better-than-usual chance that the final code will improve over what we see in the demo. However, the performance level in the sampler is intriguing. This rendition of God of War III is v-synced (so no tearing), and based on our playthrough across the two videos, we have an average of 36.81FPS, a low of 24FPS and a high of 56FPS.

Average frame rates aren't usually that much of a useful stat, but here it's a pretty decent indication of overall performance throughout - which is curious. Locking the game at 30FPS would have produced a more visually consistent look, as well as a more predictable, "reliable" feel from the controls - plus less judder on-screen in panning shots and the like.

btw
:lol @ last comment (31) in the comments section.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-post/comments?comment_start=0#comment1336899

got the demo saturday.... stunning to look at... lovely production values.

Slighty annoyd that everyone is going nuts over this when, just like ratchet, the gameplay hasn;t moved on at all.

will anyone be giving this 7's though....? no.

Jtrizzy

I wish I didn't notice stuff like this in games. My roommate who knows nothing about tech was playing this today, and was completely blown away. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks incredible and love it, but the frame rate really noticeable to me compared to the old games which are 60 iirc and pretty consistent unlike this demo.

I have faith though, this demo will be 9-10 months old by the time the game comes out.

Septimus

NinjaFusion said:

Slighty annoyd that everyone is going nuts over this when, just like ratchet, the gameplay hasn;t moved on at all.

Really? You could maybe get away with saying it hasn't changed much, but not at all? Monster riding? Harpie riding? Battering ram with enemies? Lighting gameplay? Etc.

Yoboman

Gold Member
NinjaFusion said:

People were fine with Ratchet when they were still on their third game. Up Your Arsenal is 91 at Metacritic

Once you get to 6 or 7 or whatever we are up to people tend to get tired of it.

Besides, God of War is a better game to begin with :)

Hopefully in the game you have fast enemies that you have to use block a lot. Those are the type of fights I like. I like to smash everything to pieces with powerful attacks too, but I also want fights where quick reflexes and skill is needed.

2real4tv

NinjaFusion said:

But we can say that about every other sequel that has been released Iam not going to name any names.

2real4tv said:
But we can say that about every other sequel that has been released Iam not going to name any names.

I wonder how many people are going to say the same thing about MW2.

Walk, aim, shoot. Walk, aim, shoot. Walk, aim, shoot. Run. Knife.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
NinjaFusion said:

If you wanted to get finicky you could also argue that there's been additions to the gameplay, but I haven't seen enough yet (even after playing the demo), so I don't want to grasp at straws.

However, on a superficial, sensory level, the jump to HD and the scale it brings is more than enough to keep people happy with the latest game in a series that has always been, above all else, about the grandeur and spectacle. In that regard, GOWIII is going to deliver in giant, blood-stained spades.

.GqueB.

Banned
NinjaFusion said:

I agree but what exactly is there to move on to? What exactly is wrong with the gameplay? Not saying its absolutely perfect but I cant imagine any real next step that wouldnt require some unnecessary overhaul.

If it aint broke dont fix it. Just make it bigger and more epic.

Enjoyed the demo...great visual design. The first section looks fantastic, especially the caves...up there with U2....open arena is a little washed out, details need to have stronger contrast.

I do prefer the battle system in Bayonetta (and Ive played the previous GoW), but I prefer everything else in GoW 3

NinjaFusion said:

What do people expect from sequels? I expect more of the same really. Nothing wrong with that.

The-Warning said:

Don't forget, there are snowmobiles now!

In that regard, there are titans, the icarus vents, ridable enemies, and probably more we've yet to see. The changes and additions to gameply are already greater from theoriginal going to the second God of War.

What else do you want? I'm trying to think of something cool :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The-Warning said:

I think his issue was that Ratchet wasn't getting higher scores, not that game sequels need to be 'game-changing'.

SmokyDave

This demo blew me away. I own GoW1, 2 & CoO and this has shown me I'm more than ready for more Kratos. The lighting is stunning, the new gameplay additions all fit in nicely and I love that the guts 'n' gore have been amped up to 11. I can't believe how good this game looks.

My only complaint is that the QTE prompts are a little tricky to spot (in order to stop them blocking cool stuff, I'm guessing) and when knocking Helios out of the sky I could have used an audio prompt or something to assist with timing.

All in all though, that really was something special and I can't wait to get my hands on the full version.

Wesker

Do you have the feeling that music volume is very low in comparison to sound effects?
I can't hear the music in so many moments.

I have to understand if it's a demo problem or if it's my fault... in that case i would have to adjust my home theatre settings.
But other games work fine with my current settings...

StuBurns

Banned
SmokyDave said:
My only complaint is that the QTE prompts are a little tricky to spot (in order to stop them blocking cool stuff, I'm guessing) and when knocking Helios out of the sky I could have used an audio prompt or something to assist with timing.
I actually think it's way easier, you don't need to even see which button it is, just where it is on the screen.

The demo is amazing, I've played it quite a bit and really love it, it might be closer to the others than I'd expected, but it's awesome, and a massive leap might have been for the worse.

SmokyDave

stuburns said:
I actually think it's way easier, you don't need to even see which button it is, just where it is on the screen.

The demo is amazing, I've played it quite a bit and really love it, it might be closer to the others than I'd expected, but it's awesome, and a massive leap might have been for the worse.

Yeah, I'm assuming that with more playtime I'll get used to having the buttons in my peripheral vision. It was only really a problem with things that involved suddenly tapping circle, that prompt doesn't stand out enough.

Much like you, I think it is an awful lot like an HD GoW with a slightly larger move-set but that is exactly what I wanted and I feel a massive leap is best left for the next game, this one has to finish the trilogy.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
acevans2 said:
:lol You're going to have me thinking about the "camera guy" following around my video game characters now.

super-mario-64-screenshot-lakitu-cameraman-big.jpg

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Septimus said:
Really? You could maybe get away with saying it hasn't changed much, but not at all? Monster riding? Harpie riding? Battering ram with enemies? Lighting gameplay? Etc.

People see what they want to see.

xenorevlis said:
Don't forget, there are snowmobiles now!

In that regard, there are titans, the icarus vents, ridable enemies, and probably more we've yet to see. The changes and additions to gameply are already greater from theoriginal going to the second God of War.

What else do you want? I'm trying to think of something cool :p

moving titans, icarus vents and rideable enemies are more like setpieces that's not always present imo. it's there to spice things up and add more gameplay variety but is not part of the the core combat mechanic.

that said, there's still plenty of addition to the combat system that imo justify it as a proper sequel and not a rehash of old games.

the most obvious is the expanded move set for grab action, mainly battering ram and pulling your selves to our enemies with L1+O. also, although it hasn't been confirmed yet. I have a feeling that we'll get Hermes boots at some point that will allow you to wall run just like the first trailer. add some new weapon Cestus, improvement to recharging magic bar for bow, and the slight change to the qte button placement.

maybe it's subtle. but I have a feeling that after we play GoW3, then go back to play GoW2. we will miss some of these changes and addition.

Hanmik

This demo is just pure fun (except the annoying flight section at the end)... nice graphics, typical God of War style gameplay, great settings, style is great etc.. it´s just more of what I´m used to from handling Kratos in the two previous PS2 games. This demo made me want to import the God of war collection.. can´t wait to March 2010.

I've never been a fan of the GoW games, but I gave the demo a go anyway. I didn't really expect it to convert me, and it didn't. It's a shame because I really like the setting and the Greek mythology type characters, plus I like Kratos, but when it comes to actually playing the games I just think they are boring as shit.

AtticusD

Neo Member
Having played the demo twice, this second time I realised that the technical issues (let's be honest, the game has some problems in the technical department) don't bother me at all because the overall impression is that we have a one of the most beutiful games of this generation in our hands.

GeoramA

Melfice7 said:
Kratos does a lil battering ram sprint with the cestus L1+X, didnt noticed the first playthrough
Once I got the Cestus, and I never went back to the blades. Makes Kratos feel even more like a badass.

Can't wait to see what other kind of weapons they have in store.

I've never really expected the gameplay to change much from the previous installments. Yeah, it would be nice to have a few more attack moves and whatnot, but to me, God of War has always been about excessive gore/brutality, massive scale and an interesting storyline. God of War 3 could be exactly the same as 1 and 2 but with a completely new story and I would be perfectly happy. That's what these games are about.

SmokyDave

Ballistictiger said:
Don't need to wish.

Kratos is the most pissed off game character there is :lol It fits since GOW series is one of the most gruesome non horror game there is.

This is why I love God Of War. The guy is furious. Demo needs more of him shouting at gods.

Edit: And less saggy harpy tits.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
SmokyDave said:
This is why I love God Of War. The guy is furious. Demo needs more of him shouting at gods.

Edit: And less saggy harpy tits.

Saggy harpy tits are awesome. I consider them to be just another reason to kill the fuckers.

Top Bottom