• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III: Demo Impressions Thread

Zen

Banned
I don't get the 'poor textures' comment at all. The texturing in this game is very consistent, and high quality. Maybe it's not shiny enough?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
you can catch them here and there, but thanks to camera, SM have direct control over the visual composition of the entire game. because of this, the odd texture isn't really all that worrying for me, because it's usually surrounded by something eye-catching enough to distract me from it. it's one of the best examples of this in recent memory.

Uncharted 2 was also pretty good in that regard given that the player has full control of the camera (at most times), whereas Batman, for example, wasn't quite as well thought-out, in that regard.

Three sentences of drivel?
Nah, that's what I responding to.

"the assets are not as detailed/aunthentic as expected" sounds like drivel to me.

It makes no mention of the basis for comparison and expectation, so what am I suppose to take from it?
edit:Just played the demo and specifically looked for examples of poor texturing.....I didnt see much. I suppose the wall/pillars in the courtyard look sort of PS2ish, but everything else looks fine by the standards of any console title. You really have to be walking through the demo looking for visual flaws to be complaining about poor levels of detail.

@ Rez

Thanks.

@ theignoramous

The demo is all I have to base my opinion on, which I clearly stated. I believe what I experienced will be fairly representative of the final product (when looking at core design).

Opus Angelorum said:
- Visuals, the art style is good but the assets are not as detailed/authentic as expected

Drivel? No.

The atmosphere and general art direction of the game suggests a destructive world, full of decayed architecture and a fragile/rotten environment. The textures however are fairly clean throughout, and therefore look poor when brightly lit (note I never mentioned resolution). They seem removed from the ugly world they belong. I want to feel disgusted moving through the areas, as if a once beautiful place has become a horrible waste ground.

rhino4evr

SmokyDave said:
I'm amazed that some people seem to be disappointed with the graphics in this early demo. Maybe it's because I started with the VIC-20 and the 2600 but I am yet to be disappointed with the graphics in any next-gen game, let alone one that is so obviously top-tier.

Must suck for some of you guys that are never satisfied.

I don't think anyone is "disappointed" by the way it looks, I think it's just a noticeable step back from the recently released Uncharted 2. Considering GoW 2 was probably the best looking PS2 game on the console, people have high hopes for the PS3 sequel.

Personally, I think the grpahics should improve pretty dramatically from this demo and the actual retail product.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Opus Angelorum said:
The atmosphere and general art direction of the game suggests a destructive world, full of decayed architecture and a fragile/rotten environment. The textures however are fairly clean throughout, and therefore look poor when brightly lit (note I never mentioned resolution). They seem removed from the ugly world they belong. I want to feel disgusted moving through the areas, as if a once beautiful place has become a horrible waste ground.
I don't think that's what they were going for with any of the games at all. And it's better that they didn't, as too many games nowadays go for just what you described.

I agree in part with your animation comments. After playing UC2 for so long now, here it feels a bit like controlling a robot vs. controlling a real living being in that game. But just about every other game has animation system used in GoW demo so I can't really hold it against them - other than at one point they used a bit deceptive trailer that suggested otherwise.

BeeDog

Not to get into a pissing contest, but what exactly suggest that the world should be completely destroyed and rotten? Seems to me the setting suggests that the Titan attack on that particular city is newly-started, and there aren't any things whatsoever (imo) that tells the city has been decaying for a while. Hell, the windows where Kratos bashes the civilian's head in are still burning, which suggests the destruction just took place.

EDIT: Lord Error was faster than me. :p

Each GoW game has terrified civilians running around being killed. No rotting, decaying mess of a city would be inhabited by such people, it's clear that the cities are being invaded and destroyed rather abruptly.

Yoboman

rhino4evr said:
I don't think anyone is "disappointed" by the way it looks, I think it's just a noticeable step back from the recently released Uncharted 2. Considering GoW 2 was probably the best looking PS2 game on the console, people have high hopes for the PS3 sequel.

Personally, I think the grpahics should improve pretty dramatically from this demo and the actual retail product.
I don't think it's a noticeable step back. But it's not at that level yet

But you do need to consider that the scale of this game is going to be insane if some of the stuff they promised is in, gigantic moving titan levels for instance. Santa Monica said they are aiming for 1080p as well. Whether they make it or not is a different story but they clearly have different goals

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
there's a giant man made of rock and lava in the background wreaking havok

SmokyDave

Opus Angelorum said:
@ Rez

Thanks.

@ theignoramous

The demo is all I have to base my opinion on, which I clearly stated. I believe what I experienced will be fairly representative of the final product (when looking at core design).

Drivel? No.

I'm not knocking your opinion because you are perfectly entitled to it and you obviously put a lot of thought into your post but I do have to ask one thing: Are you evaluating this demo as a gamer or as a technical exercise?

A lot of your issues seem to be with the graphics and not the gameplay which is odd given that I'm sure you'll agree this game looks 'better than average' at the very least. I just get the feeling that you fired up this demo with the intention to nit-pick the graphics and I'm wondering if it has soured your judgement of the overall experience?

rhino4evr said:

So in essence, every game released should beat the current graphics benchmark?

rhino4evr

Rez said:
there's a giant man made of rock and lava in the background wreaking havok

yeah, but for some reason he didn't look that much different then he did in the PS2 game...its been awhile since I've played it though.

So in essence, every game released should beat the current graphics benchmark

Why not? This is God of War we are talking about. The PS2 games were unbelieveably impressive when they were released. I'm not seeing the GoW WOW factor that I am used too. Not that the game looks bad, I'd say it's still better looking then more then half the games out there, but the graphics did not WOW me.

Considering I'm still playing U2 on a daily basis, it's the last game I can compare it too.

but forget U2, I think KillZone 2, and even MGS4 have a more impressive graphics engine from what I've seen in the demo.

SmokyDave said:
I just get the feeling that you fired up this demo with the intention to nit-pick the graphics and I'm wondering if it has soured your judgement of the overall experience?

I think there is some truth there to be honest, however my original criticisms were not specific just to the visuals.

SmokyDave said:
So in essence, every game released should beat the current graphics benchmark?

Absolutely not, personally my expectations were based within the God of War franchise.

freethought said:
It seems to me that you're coming to some wild conclusions about what the artstyle is trying to be, rather than seeing what's actually there.

Perhaps, I guess I want something the game isn't going to be.

Opus Angelorum said:

I don't get any of this. What makes you think they're trying to evoke a decayed and rotten environment? The portions we've seen are what looks to be a city under attack, very much like the opening environment in GoWII. Why then shouldn't there be clean textures? For all we know those areas were in perfect condition until the Titans and Kratos arrived. It seems to me that you're coming to some wild conclusions about what the artstyle is trying to be, rather than seeing what's actually there.

God of War is not presenting a decaying world..... it's setting is one that is known for it's beauty, yet it is being ravaged by war but it doesn't magically turn everything into nastiness. This isn't a wasteland or such that has been sitting around decaying for years now.

rhino4evr said:

Personally I think the section towards the end of the demo looked up there with U2.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
BattleMonkey said:
God of War is not presenting a decaying world..... it's setting is one that is known for it's beauty, yet it is being ravaged by war but it doesn't magically turn everything into nastiness. This isn't a wasteland or such that has been sitting around decaying for years now.
I think the whole point of GOWIII is the whole "shit is going down in a climatic way in Ancient Greece" thing. To serve as a contrast to GOWI/II, you know?

Subtle beauty is going to go get gosh darn destroyed.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
2real4tv said:
I just trying to figure out what other hack and slash game compares post a pic.
please don't start this juvenile shit.

Shurs

Opus Angelorum said:
Perhaps, I guess I want something the game isn't going to be.

Quick, call Santa Monica. Maybe they can alter their vision of the game to fit your expectations.

rhino4evr said:
yeah, but for some reason he didn't look that much different then he did in the PS2 game...its been awhile since I've played it though.
No. No. No.
I recommend replaying GoW 1 and 2.
Even the bullshots of GoW2's Collosus look, well, a generation behind, because that's precisely what they are.
(also, are you aware that the MGS4 "engine" renders the game in a sub HD resolution and averages a framerate below 30 fps in numerous parts?)

gowcolossus.jpg

Rez said:
I think the whole point of GOWIII is the whole "shit is going down in a climatic way in Ancient Greece" thing. To serve as a contrast to GOWI/II, you know?

Subtle beauty is going to go get gosh darn destroyed.

Yeah, but there's a huge difference between destroyed and decayed.

rhino4evr

theignoramus said:
No. No. No.
I recommend replaying GoW 1 and 2.
Even the bullshots of GoW2's Collosus look, well, a generation behind, because that's precisely what they are.

gowcolossus.jpg

that looks pretty good to me. Sure its a generation behind, but for last-gen, that looks pretty damn next-gen.

I can't say GoW3 looks as good respectively.

rhino4evr said:
that looks pretty good to me. Sure its a generation behind, but for last-gen, that looks pretty damn next-gen.

Are you the guy that responded to MazingerDude/TTP's direct feeds by saying that it didnt look as nice on your television screen?
(If you are, then I won't even bother with this argument)
edit: apparently you are.

SmokyDave

rhino4evr said:

That is a bullshot. Look at the level of AA on Kratos. If you honestly thought GoW2 looked like that then no wonder you're underwhelmed by GoW3.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah, not even bullshots stands a chance.

2006-07-11-11-40-56--God_Of_War_2.jpg

fk4j2t.jpg

rhino4evr said:

You want GOW3 to look better than current gen? GoW2 had some amazing parts no doubt but it still was very late in the PS2's life cycle and did quite alot better than the first game. This being the first PS3 game it definitely looks better than the PS2 games, perhaps not as mind blowing as the PS2 games was for the hardware though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i liked the bit where i was hitting that dude with chains and then i pressed a button and ripped off his tail and then hit him more but this time differently and then pressed a button and ripped off his face(?) and then fought him differently again and then pressed a button and killed him with his own face horn the three staged setup to the fight was actually kind of cool i wonder if we'll have to verse more than one of those at once later it could be kinda cool right guys imagine having to fight them all and keep track of each one of their stances at the time right

discuss.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Rez said:
i liked the bit where i was hitting that dude with chains and then i pressed a button and ripped off his tail and then hit him more but this time differently and then pressed a button and ripped off his face(?) and then fought him differently again and then pressed a button and killed him with his own face horn the three staged setup to the fight was actually kind of cool i wonder if we'll have to verse more than one of those at once later it could be kinda cool right guys imagine having to fight them all and keep track of each one of their stances at the time right

discuss.
:lol :lol :lol

rhino4evr

theignoramus said:
Are you the guy that responded to MazingerDude/TTP's direct feeds by saying that it didnt look as nice on your television screen?
(If you are, then I won't even bother with this argument)
edit: apparently you are.

YES.

why not bother? The game looks better in stills then it does in motion.

edit..I may not have the best TV..but I know that U2 looked pretty damn good on my set.

You want GOW3 to look better than current gen?

Sure! Why Not? Wow Me.

You know guys...The funny thing is that I'm not disappointed with the graphics. I'm a lot more disappointed with the tired gameplay. The demo felt like God of War II with better graphics and more gore. Nothing new or interesting to make me excited to play the next game in the franchise. That being said, I will still be there day 1 to play it, I just hope SCEA throw in some new gameplay mechanics.

Rez said:

discuss.
Good point, I hadn't thought about what it'll be like to deal with multiple Chimeras. I hope the game does throw that at you and doesn't just leave them as one-at-a-time minibosses.

Rez said:

discuss.

I appreciate your effort to bring some semblance of level headedness to this thread, but honestly, there's no point dude. This is GAF, people wont lose ANY opportunity to miss the forest for the trees.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
made of rock and lava?

the balls in your court.

SmokyDave

rhino4evr said:
YES.
why not bother? The game looks better in stills then it does in motion.
edit..I may not have the best TV..but I know that U2 looked pretty damn good on my set.
Sure! Why Not? Wow Me.

You know guys...The funny thing is that I'm not disappointed with the graphics. I'm a lot more disappointed with the tired gameplay. The demo felt like God of War II with better graphics and more gore. Nothing new or interesting to make me excited to play the next game in the franchise. That being said, I will still be there day 1 to play it, I just hope SCEA throw in some new gameplay mechanics.

Other than the ones you obviously missed in this demo?

Scale and spectacle, people, scale and spectacle!! Are you gonna be caring about textures when this bad mutha comes for you?

god-of-war-artwork-fire-titan.jpg

mr_nothin

Banned
SmokyDave said:
I'm amazed that some people seem to be disappointed with the graphics in this early demo. Maybe it's because I started with the VIC-20 and the 2600 but I am yet to be disappointed with the graphics in any next-gen game, let alone one that is so obviously top-tier.

Must suck for some of you guys that are never satisfied.
Our minds have progressed passed the Atari. We're thinking of graphics in terms of NOW, in comparison to other games. I'm not going to look at an ugly game and then go "ooo, you know what? well we had a bunch of 2d pixels about 20/25 years ago so this looks good".

I'm speaking in general here.

rhino4evr

iamcool388 said:
Scale and spectacle, people, scale and spectacle!! Are you gonna be caring about textures when this bad mutha comes for you?

god-of-war-artwork-fire-titan.jpg

I totally agree. GoW is all about Epic scale..and I think the demo failed to show that..at least compared to the GoW II demo.

Please keep in mind that this topic is called "Demo Impressions"

I think most of us know that the actual GAME, maybe a little different then the 9 month old demo.

SmokyDave

rhino4evr said:
:lol missed?

Besides using soilders as a battering ram, what's NEW about the combat?

Enlighten me.

Apart from the new gameplay mechanic you've just acknowledged and dismissed for no reason other than it broke your argument? I'd say the harpy rides or the Icarus vent section then.

Also, you didn't acknowledge the GoW2 shot as a bullshot. Have you played any of these games?

rhino4evr said:

Enlighten me.
Mid-combo weapon switching, new grapple moves, enemy riding, the Cestus actually having a moveset as diverse as the Blades of Athena and working on the same basic gameplay logic as well, the bow and arrow recharging instead of drawing from a magic pool so you can effectively use it to juggle and/or stunlock enemies as needed, the Head of Helios fight-in-the-dark choice to stun enemies and make them visible at the expense of leaving your back exposed... did we play the same demo?

rhino4evr

SmokyDave said:
Apart from the new gameplay mechanic you've just acknowledged and dismissed for no reason other than it broke your argument? I'd say the harpy rides or the Icarus vent section then.

Also, you didn't acknowledge the GoW2 shot as a bullshot. Have you played any of these games?

I don't really consider the batter ram move a great new gameplay mechanic.

The harpy rides were new? I could have sworn I've done that before..or at least something similar. If they are new, I wouldn't say that was a highlight in the demo. More like my least favorite part.

and yes I've played and loved both GoW and GoW2 to completion..though it has been a few years, so things may be a little cloudy.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
rhino4evr said:

Enlighten me.

New L1+O grapple mechanic for easier chaining, ability to fire arrows in midair, improved speed of Triangle combo, riding the Cyclops, riding the harpies, more enemies at a time (enemies piling on Kratos mechanic), and everything about Cestus. Helios' head yields a lot of great opportunities, though that's more of a "power" aspect than a combat aspect.

I mean, there are refinements. About as many refinements from God of War 1-> God of War 2, as it were... and we're only seeing the demo. I'm sure there are some cards Santa Monica has not dealt.

rhino4evr

badcrumble said:
Mid-combo weapon switching, new grapple moves, enemy riding, the Cestus actually having a moveset as diverse as the Blades of Athena and working on the same basic gameplay logic as well, the bow and arrow recharging instead of drawing from a magic pool so you can effectively use it to juggle and/or stunlock enemies as needed, the Head of Helios fight-in-the-dark choice to stun enemies and make them visible at the expense of leaving your back exposed... did we play the same demo?

this is a much better argument. I didn't mess with mid-combo weapon switcing, so I will have to give that a shot. All the alternate weapons had move sets no? Riding a Cyclops is fun, but no more then a novelty. I enjoyed riding the Thugs in Batman more. They reacted more realistically. The head of Helios was cool, but was it that much different then the head of medusa?

SmokyDave

rhino4evr said:
this is a much better argument. I didn't mess with mid-combo weapon switcing, so I will have to give that a shot. All the alternate weapons had move sets no? Riding a Cyclops is fun, but no more then a novelty. I enjoyed riding the Thugs in Batman more. They reacted more realistically. The head of Helios was cool, but was it that much different then the head of medusa?

You're wildly shifting goalposts around. Your opinion on the new mechanics is irrelevant, your argument was that there are none.

rhino4evr said:
The head of helios isn't THAT different, but the lighting mechanic should allow for some cool scenarios, I imagine. Of course, it's also going to mean some DEVILISH hidden treasures - that part's going to piss me off.

And yeah, mid-combo weapon switching is the highlight of the demo. Give it a try, you can chain together some pretty nasty stuff.

Top Bottom