• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III: Demo Impressions Thread

mr_nothin

Banned
freethought said:
I don't get any of this. What makes you think they're trying to evoke a decayed and rotten environment? The portions we've seen are what looks to be a city under attack, very much like the opening environment in GoWII. Why then shouldn't there be clean textures? For all we know those areas were in perfect condition until the Titans and Kratos arrived. It seems to me that you're coming to some wild conclusions about what the artstyle is trying to be, rather than seeing what's actually there.

BattleMonkey said:
God of War is not presenting a decaying world..... it's setting is one that is known for it's beauty, yet it is being ravaged by war but it doesn't magically turn everything into nastiness. This isn't a wasteland or such that has been sitting around decaying for years now.
Because we have bodies and the undead everywhere? Maybe he wants to see blood and guts and a sense of dread abound? This is suppose to be like the end of the world in a sense. A battle between worlds.

This war has been going on for quite some time. How could GOW not be presenting a decaying world? You have a war between the Gods/Titans...and the world is suppose to be still intact and beautiful and clean? Show us blood and destruction and beauty being sucked out of this beautiful place.

Im not speaking just in terms of the demo....

mr_nothin said:
Because we have bodies and the undead everywhere? Maybe he wants to see blood and guts and a sense of dread abound? This is suppose to be like the end of the world in a sense. A battle between worlds.

This war has been going on for quite some time. How could GOW not be presenting a decaying world? You have a war between the Gods/Titans...and the world is suppose to be still intact and beautiful and clean? Show us blood and destruction and beauty being sucked out of this beautiful place.

Nope, the war has just begun. The titans were imprisoned forever, and they havent been able to cause any destruction which would seriously affect MT. OLYMPUS, which is where we are. Kratos just freed them, and at the end of GoW2, they have just begun climbing Mt. Olympus. Why should there already be destruction on their path then... the destruction will be left in their wake, not already done before them.

Show us blood and destruction and beauty being sucked out of this beautiful place.[/b]

They wont show it to you. They'll do something better... they'll let you do it!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mr_nothin said:

The war has been going on for quite some time? This game takes off directly after the events of God of War II. Kratos just released the Titans. The war is just beginning.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah mid combo weapon switches = love

*Blades* [] [] [] [] [] L1+[] [] *Gloves* /\ /\ [] [] *blades* L1+/\ /\

<3

Outside of refinements, your not going to see much in the form of new ingenuity into the beat em up category of games. They all break down the same way pretty much outside of the visual presentation.

Ninja Gaiden, DMC, Madworld, Bayonetta.... really nothing major changes outside of presentation and tweaks. God of War has developed how it plays and it knows what audience it's catering too, your not going to see much innovation to come out of it.

rhino4evr

SmokyDave said:
You're wildly shifting goalposts around. Your opinion on the new mechanics is irrelevant, your argument was that there are none.

I suppose I meant mechanics that actually felt new, not something similar or something I've played elsewhere. But whatever, you win 1 internet. Congrats! :D

mr_nothin

Banned
SmokyDave said:
That is a bullshot. Look at the level of AA on Kratos. If you honestly thought GoW2 looked like that then no wonder you're underwhelmed by GoW3.
Well people are playing it like that on the PC now...and then we have that re-release on the PS3 coming up ;)

mr_nothin said:

This is a follow up right after 2, again people have this notion that the world is going to have massive visual changes in short manner of time? Toss some dead bodies around ancient greece and it's not going to somehow change the environment all that much other than there being bodies now. Were also not dealing with modern weaponry so destruction is much more subdued generally.

In GOW3 I would have no doubt with the titans and such going all out, we will see things get fucked up eventually during the game.

Junpei Heat

GoW3 does not have mid-combo weapon switching. The entire combo/animation for one weapon has to STOP before you switch, it doesn't change mid frame like DMC3/4. That's not mid-combo weapon switching that's just plain ol weapon switching.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
BattleMonkey said:
Outside of refinements, your not going to see much in the form of new ingenuity into the beat em up category of games. They all break down the same way pretty much outside of the visual presentation.

Ninja Gaiden, DMC, Madworld, Bayonetta.... really nothing major changes outside of presentation and tweaks. God of War has developed how it plays and it knows what audience it's catering too, your not going to see much innovation to come out of it.

While I highly disagree with the assessment of (most of) the games you listed, God of War has struck a nice balance of in difficulty for its combat mechanics. They simply work within the framework of the game, and they make minor improvements (enough to keep things interesting, but not so different that they alienate those accustomed to the gameplay). God of War doesn't really need to innovate that much.

mr_nothin

Banned
iamcool388 said:
Scale and spectacle, people, scale and spectacle!! Are you gonna be caring about textures when this bad mutha comes for you?

god-of-war-artwork-fire-titan.jpg
Well to me, the scale in GOWIII looks fake. It has that same fake scale as Halo 3 and Too Human had. There's something very off about it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
mr_nothin said:
Well to me, the scale in GOW looks fake. It has that same fake scale as Halo 3 and Too Human had. There's something very off about it.
What the fuck? if you didn't feel any kind of scale during these two parts:

40641-god-of-war-2-ps2.jpg

gow2-screen03-big.jpg

god-of-war-ii-ss-10.jpg

Then you don't know what the fuck "scale" is.

mr_nothin said:
Well to me, the scale in GOW looks fake. It has that same fake scale as Halo 3 and Too Human had. There's something very off about it.

You WILL be fighting on TITANS... probably against them too. You WILL be killing Gods at MT. OLYMPUS. And you will be doing it in the most brutal ways possible.

What about this scenario is fake? I havent played the other two so cant comment on those games.

mr_nothin

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
This is a follow up right after 2, again people have this notion that the world is going to have massive visual changes in short manner of time? Toss some dead bodies around ancient greece and it's not going to somehow change the environment all that much other than there being bodies now. Were also not dealing with modern weaponry so destruction is much more subdued generally.

In GOW3 I would have no doubt with the titans and such going all out, we will see things get fucked up eventually during the game.
GOWI>GOWII>GOWIII

Takes place over how many years?
Destruction is subdued???? We have titans and gods running around and you're talking about modern weaponry? These people can throw lightning from their hands and blow shit up with their eyes. We fought a giant statue in GOW II! How would destruction be subdued?

Seiken said:
What the fuck? if you didn't feel any kind of scale during these two parts:

Then you don't know what the fuck "scale" is.
Sorry...I meant GOWIII. I think it's the camera angle though.

Although, the 1st trailer had a better sense of scale. That was freakin' epic.

GuardianE said:
While I highly disagree with the assessment of (most of) the games you listed, God of War has struck a nice balance of in difficulty for its combat mechanics. They simply work within the framework of the game, and they make minor improvements (enough to keep things interesting, but not so different that they alienate those accustomed to the gameplay). God of War doesn't really need to innovate that much.

The games I listed though really have done very little different or anything new for the most part. They develop their niche in target market, but game play generally varies little from iteration to next. New moves, new combos, new techniques, but the core game varies very very little. Most changes made to these games are often very gimmicky or large part cosmetic in nature. How well they are put together is course important but if you looking for something completely new between sequels, it's not gonna generally blow a person away.

Yoshichan

mr_nothin said:
Sorry...I meant GOWIII
Oh I agree. I have, however, no doubts that the full game will have lots of scale.

mr_nothin said:
GOWI>GOWII>GOWIII

Destruction is subdued???? We have titans and gods running around and you're talking about modern weaponry? These people can throw lightning from their hands and blow shit up with their eyes. We fought a giant statue in GOW II! How would destruction be subdued?

The Gods arent going to destroy their own fucking home just for shits and giggles. The ones who WILL destroy shit, Kratos and Titans, just got to the environment where we are. We arent in Athens anymore that the environment would be already destroyed, dude wtf?

rhino4evr

mr_nothin said:
Well to me, the scale in GOWIII looks fake. It has that same fake scale as Halo 3 and Too Human had. There's something very off about it.

:lol :lol :lol

WHAT?

If there is one thing everyone should agree on, it's that the GOW series is EPIC in scale. Fake? How?

I mean of course some of the settings are total trickery, but there are SO many huge moments in the past two games, that I can't even count them all.

off the top of my head.

sneaking through that cave..with that Giant Titan
climbing a moving mountain
battling on a giant sword.
becomning a massive giant

gosh so many...

makes me want to re-play the games just thinking about them.

EDIT: oh are you just talking about the demo?

Yoshichan

rhino4evr said:

WHAT?

If there is one thing everyone should agree on, it's that the GOW series is EPIC in scale. Fake? How?

I mean of course some of the settings are total trickery, but there are SO many huge moments in the past two games, that I can't even count them all.

off the top of my head.

gosh so many...

He meant GoW3 :)

mr_nothin

Banned
rhino4evr said:

WHAT?

off the top of my head.

gosh so many...

EDIT: oh are you just talking about the demo?
Lol, sorry about the mix-up dude. I meant just GOWIII as Seiken mentioned. You even quoted my edited post ;)

Yes, just the demo. I dont feel the sense of scale until the end where he's flying towards the "lava dude" and he's still in the cave. That part looked pretty good.

The 1st trailer had nice scale though!

Thrakier

roxya said:
Every PS3 exclusive is going to disappoint graphically if we now expect them to look as good as UC2 :/

Though the GOWIII demo isn't visually disappointing. Not on it's own and not in comarpison with UC2. Same is true for KZ2 which maybe looks even a bit better than UC2, depending on how you look at those games.

I was completely blown away by the demo. It really was just God of War but when has that ever been a bad thing? The transitions from the menu had me like

weebay.gif

All in all it was incredibly epic. I'm still salivating :D

mr_nothin said:
Lol, sorry about the mix-up dude. I meant just GOWIII as Seiken mentioned. You even quoted my edited post ;)

Yeah if its just GoW3, then I dont know. In fact no one knows, because huge chunks of the game are still under wraps. I will say this though... the potential for epic moments which is available in God of War 3 is probably higher than the previous two games.

You are fighting Gods AND Titans AT Mt. Olympus. Imagine the possibilities... this is the absolute pinnacle of scale you can expect from the God of War universe.

mr_nothin said:
GOWI>GOWII>GOWIII

Sorry...I meant GOWIII

Must have missed how much of the GOW games took place away from the cities and were set out and away in other locations. Even in this games demo and in the past games the city aspects are full of destruction, I'm not exactly sure what people are expecting. Do they want brown charred Gears of War like setting for the entire game? There was tons of destruction in the past games and even this new demo for 3 has destruction, but do people expect every inch to be covered in cracks, gore, oceans of blood?

mr_nothin said:
The gods will put their pride and own selfish needs before caring about their dear Athens. They arent doing it for shits and giggles...this is serious business. You have the god of war vs the gods in athens and you mean to tell me that there's not going to be tons of destruction? We've already seen alot of things destroyed in GOWII.

I'll hold my final judgment until the release of the game though.

I give up, I am obviously missing something, or we are talking past each other. Explain why anything on Mt. Olympus should already be destroyed by the time Kratos and Titans get there?

mr_nothin

Banned
iamcool388 said:
I give up, I am obviously missing something, or we are talking past each other. Explain why anything on Mt. Olympus should already be destroyed by the time Kratos and Titans get there?
The demo took place on Mt Olympus?

rhino4evr

iamcool388 said:
Yeah if its just GoW3, then I dont know. In fact no one knows, because huge chunks of the game are still under wraps. I will say this though... the potential for epic moments which is available in God of War 3 is probably higher than the previous two games.

You are fighting Gods AND Titans AT Mt. Olympus. Imagine the possibilities... this is the absolute pinnacle of scale you can expect from the God of War universe.

this is exactly why I will be buying GoW3 Day 1. I want to see EPIC on a next-gen level. The demo did not provide that. If the gameplay doesn't WOW me, I at least want the set pieces too.

mr_nothin said:
The demo took place on Mt Olympus?

Yessir. You use Icarus Vents to go higher and higher towards the top of Mt. Olympus, where I assume Zeus is. If you remember the ending of God of War 2, you saw Kratos on the Titans climbing Mt. Olympus.

Edit: All of GoW3 is about Kratos freeing Titans (In the epic scale trailer, you can see him destroying chains holding them down), then using them as much as possible to gain his end while the Titans do the same to him!

mr_nothin

Banned
iamcool388 said:
Yessir. You use Icarus Vents to go higher and higher towards the top of Mt. Olympus, where I assume Zeus is.

If you remember the ending of God of War 2, you saw Kratos on the Titans climbing Mt. Olympus.
Oh ok. I remember the ending but are we sure that GOWIII takes place only on Mt Olympus?

On another note, where do these demons come from? The ones that fight Kratos. Who's side are they on? And arent other Gods on Kratos' side? I forgot some of the story because it's been a while.

mr_nothin said:
Oh ok. I remember the ending but are we sure that GOWIII takes place only on Mt Olympus?

On another note, where do these demons come from? The ones that fight Kratos. Who's side are they on? And arent other Gods on Kratos' side? I forgot some of the story because it's been a while.

I think the demons are summoned by the Gods to stop Kratos from his goal of reaching Olympus and raining destruction upon them. The Gods were on his side in the first game because they wanted to stop Ares, but in the 2nd game Zeus turned on him because he was afraid of him. So then Kratos was helped by the Titans.

In the third, Kratos is together with the Titans (but its a very uneasy relationship) to put an end to the Gods.

I think thats the basic, bare bones gist of it, anyone else who better remembers please feel free to provide some details. :D

Edit: Also, its probably not completely true that the whole game takes place on Mt. Olympus, because Kratos also has to kill Hades! So I think there will be an underground level as well (closely resembling hell... if you've seen all the scans which came out a while back, you'll know what i'm talking about). The demo is on Mt. Olympus because I think Santa Monica has said that while demoing it in a couple places, as well as you can see the Titan climbing the mountain.

jett

D-Member
rhino4evr said:
I suppose I meant mechanics that actually felt new, not something similar or something I've played elsewhere. But whatever, you win 1 internet. Congrats! :D

Man you're such a tool.

mr_nothin

Banned
theignoramus said:
Yet you spent two pages arguing about why Santa Monica's art direction doesnt fit the atmosphere presented by the narrative.
I surely did. It's the way of GAF.
Would you have it any other way....ignoramus?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
BattleMonkey said:
The games I listed though really have done very little different or anything new for the most part. They develop their niche in target market, but game play generally varies little from iteration to next. New moves, new combos, new techniques, but the core game varies very very little. Most changes made to these games are often very gimmicky or large part cosmetic in nature. How well they are put together is course important but if you looking for something completely new between sequels, it's not gonna generally blow a person away.

DMC->DMC3 is an extraordinary evolution of game mechanics. Unless you only touch the surface of the game (I don't think you could beat it if that were the case), I can't see how you could view it otherwise.

On the fly weapon switching, implementation of completely different 'styles' that level up with use, extreme jump canceling, crazy combo inclusion (where you mash during given inputs). The games barely resemble each other. That's why you'll find people who love DMC1 and hate DMC3, and vice versa.

The only similarities between the games are that you fight demons with swords/guns, and you can launch with Back+Attack. Sorry about the tangent, but it's things like this that bug me.

mr_nothin said:
So now we're bringing Uncharted 2 into the discussion?

Btw, that last post was sarcasm.

accurate in that your user name seems to reflect the quality and content of your posts. [/sarcasm]

SamBishop

Banned
Rez said:
i liked the bit where i was hitting that dude with chains and then i pressed a button and ripped off his tail and then hit him more but this time differently and then pressed a button and ripped off his face(?) and then fought him differently again and then pressed a button and killed him with his own face horn the three staged setup to the fight was actually kind of cool i wonder if we'll have to verse more than one of those at once later it could be kinda cool right guys imagine having to fight them all and keep track of each one of their stances at the time right

discuss.

Are you using that word because in your mind multiple instances add up to versus? It's not multiple verses, mang, that's a poem. I'm just trying to figure it out because you seem to be mis-using that word entirely.

Also, the past few pages have been complete insanity. The improvements to the game between the start of the year and where E3 was left absolutely zero doubt in my mind that when the game hits next year, it'll be polished and purdy as hell. If this is indeed the E3 build with no updates, expect newer builds of the game to fix most of the nitpick-ish stuff like textures, framerate, lighting and so on.

Seriously, SCE Santa Monica seems to know exactly what they're doing, and I'll err on the side of them having the chops to wow vs. dropping the ball until they prove otherwise. Did their work on the PS2 hardware teach us nothing?

EDIT: ^^^^^ What Sam said.

This thread needs some pictures. I wont post the Helios/Cyclops gif as we are already playing them in the demo, so i'll post some of the other images which werent in the demo.

1110165-2009_08_17_18_28_00.jpg

1110161-2009_08_17_18_27_00.jpg

1035109-11vgl76.jpg

Here is some concept art, so we can at least imagine the scale Santa Monica is aiming for.

23mvtef.jpg

ddylqp.jpg

mr_nothin

Banned
SamBishop said:
Are you using that word because in your mind multiple instances add up to versus? It's not multiple verses, mang, that's a poem. I'm just trying to figure it out because you seem to be mis-using that word entirely.

Also, the past few pages have been complete insanity. The improvements to the game between the start of the year and where E3 was left absolutely zero doubt in my mind that when the game hits next year, it'll be polished and purdy as hell. If this is indeed the E3 build with no updates, expect newer builds of the game to fix most of the nitpick-ish stuff like textures, framerate, lighting and so on.

Seriously, SCE Santa Monica seems to know exactly what they're doing, and I'll err on the side of them having the chops to wow vs. dropping the ball until they prove otherwise. Did their work on the PS2 hardware teach us nothing?
While I do agree...the bolded part always seems to set us up for failure when it comes to these "next-gen" games. We see these guys as the best of the best of last-gen and we set our expectations way too high based on what they were doing at the END of the last-generation.

We're still at the beginning and barely scrubbing against the middle era of this gen. I'm trying to stop having that frame of mind.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Junpei Heat said:
GoW3 does not have mid-combo weapon switching. The entire combo/animation for one weapon has to STOP before you switch, it doesn't change mid frame like DMC3/4. That's not mid-combo weapon switching that's just plain ol weapon switching.
I'm pretty sure the demo has mid-combo switching, as in you can switch weapons and continue hitting without breaking a combo. Mid frame switching is a different thing. I'm not sure if in GoW3 you can at least switch to a bow and arrow mid-frame.

SamBishop

Banned
mr_nothin said:
While I do agree...the bolded part always seems to set us up for failure when it comes to these "next-gen" games. We see these guys as the best of the best of last-gen and we set our expectations way too high based on what they were doing at the END of the last-generation.

We're still at the beginning and barely scrubbing against the middle era of this gen. I'm trying to stop having that frame of mind.

First of all, this:
izni3l.jpg

...is incredible.

Secondly, remember that the Santa Monica Studios are effectively the landing pad for everything that Sony is doing here in the US; they help with core tech, with PSN projects, with optimization, and so on. Even just taking the first God of War game, their ability to finagle some incredible visuals out of the hardware was damned impressive, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect those that were leaders in the medium to repeat their performance heading into the next generation of hardware. Naughty Dog proved that confidence in technical prowess needn't be ill-founded.

That said, the Kinetica Engine had come a looooong way by the time they plied it toward God of War, so there could definitely be hiccups here and there. Still, going by the difference I've seen in just a few months' span, I'm fully expecting GOWIII to blow my peepers out the back o' muh head when it finally ships. Hell, I'm just excited about seeing the inevitable preview build trickling in (hopefully) early next year or at the end of this one. It's been a wider gap now between when I first saw the game and made the "eh, it's just God of War in HD" comments to seeing what I did at E3. There's bound to be some major improvements made in that time, and the GOW team tends to implement changes to the game in a sweeping, across-the-board fashion rather than just polishing up one little section of a level -- at least in my experience.

Shurs

SamBishop said:

I'm fairly certain Rez was using verse as shorthand for traverse, or climb.

SamBishop said:
Secondly, remember that the Santa Monica Studios are effectively the landing pad for everything that Sony is doing here in the US; they help with core tech, with PSN projects, with optimization, and so on. Even just taking the first God of War game, their ability to finagle some incredible visuals out of the hardware was damned impressive, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect those that were leaders in the medium to repeat their performance heading into the next generation of hardware. Naughty Dog proved that confidence in technical prowess needn't be ill-founded.

That said, the Kinetica Engine had come a looooong way by the time they plied it toward God of War, so there could definitely be hiccups here and there. Still, going by the difference I've seen in just a few months' span, I'm fully expecting GOWIII to blow my peepers out the back o' muh head when it finally ships. Hell, I'm just excited about seeing the inevitable preview build trickling in (hopefully) early next year or at the end of this one. It's been a wider gap now between when I first saw the game and made the "eh, it's just God of War in HD" comments to seeing what I did at E3. There's bound to be some major improvements made in that time, and the GOW team tends to implement changes to the game in a sweeping, across-the-board fashion rather than just polishing up one little section of a level -- at least in my experience.
Beyond the basic graphical improvements they'll make (great in their own right) no doubt there'll be plenty more (weapons, spells, abilities, game mechanics, crazy setpieces) that will be ready for primetime that weren't back around E3.

rhino4evr said:
nitpicking aside, does anyone think the final product will be anything short of awesome?

Nope, but there is also no doubt there will be people showing disappointment that the game isnt a big enough evolution, isnt epic enough, is too gamey, doesnt have enough gameplay alternatives, Kratos is too angry, Kratos isnt angry enough, saggy tits etc etc.

Anyone looking for "FUN" will be pleased with the game, I am sure. But this is GAF, and...

Hatersgonnahate.gif.

Top Bottom