• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III: Demo Impressions Thread

jiggles

Banned
Rez said:
that paragraph was completely almost devoid of punctuation and correct grammar for a reason. ;)

You weren't mocking my post a couple of pages before, were you? I said pretty much the same thing about the chimera. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jigglywiggly said:
You weren't mocking my post a couple of pages before, were you? I said pretty much the same thing about the chimera. :(
nah, man. the idea in the post was cool, and was something I'd been thinking about when playing the demo, but seeing as how the thread had turned into a pile of oh so repugnant-shit at that point, doing anything other than slapping my fists against the keyboard for a minute or two would have been pointless.

jiggles

Banned
Rez said:
nah, man. the idea in the post was cool, and was something I'd been thinking about when playing the demo, but seeing as how the thread had turned into a pile of oh so repugnant-shit at that point, doing anything other than slapping my fists against the keyboard for a minute or two would have been pointless.

:lol Carry on, then.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
After having played the demo a few more times, I'd have to retract my comment about the harpy controls. They work just fine, it just took me some time to work them out. The flight controls are still a bit sluggy though, but they work much better if you set them to normal rather than inverted. Still not completely sold on the new QTE symbol placement, but I'm warming up to it. Overall this is a great demo. It's God of War alright, but with moar goar and prettier graphics. And that's all I wanted from it, really.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Liabe Brave said:
Why are we spoilering speculation? Whatever, here you are:

At the end of GoW III, Kratos has completely demolished Olympus, and slaughtered every god, goddess, and titan around him in a typhoon of bloody violence. Mortally wounded, he staggers toward Zeus' broken throne, and wearily raises his blades to destroy the last symbol of divine mastery over human will...

...when a shining bearded figure swoops in and lops his head off. "Sucker! I couldn't take on so many, but you cleared 'em out good. Jehovah is king now! Ha ha, I win!" Then he kicks away the bloody carcass and sits on the throne. "Now, which human woman should I impregnate?"
:D
How about:
Kratos has finally destroyed the Greek gods, and can finally rest. Except at that moment Zeus is healed of his wounds and reborn as ....Jupiter, brought forth by the Romans. Kratos realizes that to destroy the gods he must destroy the people who worship them or they will forever be reborn in different guises, resulting in a fight across the roman empire from Britannia to the heart of Rome, against the armies of the roman empire and whatever the newly reborn gods can throw at you. The game ends as Kratos sees the christians dying in the Colosseum and realizes that the old gods thrive on violence and that he has perpetuated their cause - or he rushes in and rips the lions heads off and stuffs them down the emperors throat.

Yoboman

mr_nothin said:
Lol, sorry about the mix-up dude. I meant just GOWIII as Seiken mentioned. You even quoted my edited post ;)

Yes, just the demo. I dont feel the sense of scale until the end where he's flying towards the "lava dude" and he's still in the cave. That part looked pretty good.

The 1st trailer had nice scale though!
I kind of agree. There's something just not matching the concept of it

On paper, Helios flying around on a chariot battling a Titan while you fight a Chimera. It sounds so EPIC, but maybe it's the camera positioning or the Titan's repeated helpless animation, or maybe Helios looking so plain. But it didn't seem as epic as it should

The titan climbing over you was epic though

Yoboman said:

On paper, Helios flying around on a chariot battling a Titan while you fight a Chimera. It sounds so EPIC, but maybe it's the camera positioning or the Titan's repeated helpless animation, or maybe Helios looking so plain. But it didn't seem as epic as it should

Yeah, I think the titan should destroy the building in the background as he battles helios

Combichristoffersen said:
After having played the demo a few more times, I'd have to retract my comment about the harpy controls. They work just fine, it just took me some time to work them out. The flight controls are still a bit sluggy though, but they work much better if you set them to normal rather than inverted. Still not completely sold on the new QTE symbol placement, but I'm warming up to it. Overall this is a great demo. It's God of War alright, but with moar goar and prettier graphics. And that's all I wanted from it, really.

Watching the E3 videos I thought the harpy riding was automated and just a case of pressing the jump button at the right time, which I didn't think much of to be honest. My first time through the demo I did the cave harpies fine, but the ones after the Chimera fight I kept dying over and over, until I realised that you did actually have to steer from one harpy to the next. It's still probably the least impressive mechanic in the demo, both new and old, but it's a lot better than I initially feared.

I kinda agree about the button placement. While the new system has its merits, the buttong placement on screen corresponding to the button placement on the pad is a great idea, I'd prefer it if it wasn't so far out at the edges of the screen. It'd be nice if they gave you some options as to how far from the centre of the screen they are positioned, even if it's just a choice between close to the centre, mid distance and farthest from the centre.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Die Squirrel Die said:
I kinda agree about the button placement. While the new system has its merits, the buttong placement on screen corresponding to the button placement on the pad is a great idea, I'd prefer it if it wasn't so far out at the edges of the screen. It'd be nice if they gave you some options as to how far from the centre of the screen they are positioned, even if it's just a choice between close to the centre, mid distance and farthest from the centre.

Agreed. I think it'd work much better if the symbols weren't so far out at the edges of the screen.

Zen

Banned
Yoboman said:

The problem is that they aren't really 'fighting' so much as Helios and the Titan are just repeating a relatively boring looped animation. Helios shoots fire at the titan, the Titan blocks with his hand, there's no damage. The Titan should be getting the crap kicked out of him (imagine the equivalent of having an impact burn on your skin). There should be 3 'events' that happen in the background while you're fighting the Chimera, even if it's as simple as the Titan screaming out in pain, but it shouldn't just be an endless shadow play that makes your contributions lack importance. Sure you allow the Titan to down Helios, but it's not like he was anything other than a minor annoyance.

It would be much more satisfying to take down Hilios if he was actually doing something productive in the background.

I'm not saying that Helios should be able to kill the titan, but obviously his attacks hurt the Titan enough for it to want to block them, so have Helios hurt the Titan just a bit more, show him as being a legitimate threat.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Zen said:
The problem is that they aren't really 'fighting' so much as Helios and the Titan are just repeating a relatively boring looped animation. Helios shoots fire at the titan, the Titan blocks with his hand, there's no damage. The Titan should be getting the crap kicked out of him (imagine the equivalent of having an impact burn on your skin).

He's a frigging lava Titan. I don't think fire bothers him too much :lol

If anything, I think he's just annoyed by Helios. :lol

But I get your point. Needs more drama.

Zen

Banned
A fair counter point, but yeah, it needs more drama. It doesn't feel like what Kratos ends up doing is that big a of a deal. It's sort of like watching two old men trying to fight instead of freaking Helios and a Titan. That Statue that Zeus brought to life in God of War II would shit kick these two. :lol

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Anyone play this on a nice sound system? The bass was spectacular, I’d say it was on par with most action movies which most videogames don’t come near. The reason I bring the audio up however is when you agree to continue, it triggers a sound that is shit your pants loud. It sounded like a shot gun just went off in my living room. Anyone else experience this?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Finally got the demo. Looks fantastic and controls very smoothly, and was just the right teasing length. I didn't feel like I got enough, and would have gladly taken out my wallet if someone had offered me the full game that very moment.

GOW1&2 Collection will be entertaining, but GOW3 will still feel very, very far away.

imtehman

Banned
lol i'm dying too many times during hte vent flying portion.

this game is pretty bad ass. I was using the blades to try to break down that 300-esque shield covering helios, didn't budge.

switched over to the cestus and used the L1 + Triangle skill, broke that shiet down baby.

hopefully they fix the juttering when you hit enemies ala infinite undiscovery, because that shit is annoying

i'ma slap on the bayonetta demo for a quick comparison

imtehman said:
lol i'm dying too many times during hte vent flying portion.

this game is pretty bad ass. I was using the blades to try to break down that 300-esque shield covering helios, didn't budge.

switched over to the cestus and used the L1 + Triangle skill, broke that shiet down baby.
You're not using the best weapon in the room.

imtehman

Banned
templeusox said:
You're not using the best weapon in the room.

i did that before the cyclops dropped that though

well, right when the cyclops dropped down so i knocked out that shield wall then i hopped on the cyclops

Wag

Lince said:
a14dg4.jpg
I had shingles in my eye a few months back and that's just how I felt...

But seriously, that looks amazing.

zoukka

Rez said:
made of rock and lava?

the balls in your court.

It's a fucking orange texture...

The one problem GoW has, is the lack of artistic vision in some parts of the game. Mostly Titans and the gods. I mean Disneys Hercules has better looking Titans than GoW...

The gods look like some action figures from the 80's.

zoukka said:

The one problem GoW has, is the lack of artistic vision in some parts of the game. Mostly Titans and the gods. I mean Disneys Hercules has better looking Titans than GoW...

So do you like any games or you just go around pissing in everyone's coffee? From your posts and your one liked game on the not regret thread you seem to just hate gaming.

zoukka

BattleMonkey said:
So do you like any games or you just go around pissing in everyone's coffee? From your posts and your one liked game on the not regret thread you seem to just hate gaming.

Eh care to check my previous messages in this thread before putting your donkey hat on?

zoukka said:

eh, I really like the artistic vision of God of War games. granted Helios is a pretty boring design. but from God of War 2 artbook the gods and creatures design are awesome. I actually like that the Titan had a simple concept which is basically just an enormous giant. Disney's Titan is very over the top and well, cartoony. I'm not sure if those Titan design fit in with God of War artstyle.

rhino4evr

I played the demo again, and seemed to enjoy it more the second time. I will tell you the biggest flaw in the demo.

What's with the recycled animation with Helios and the Titan? It looks terrible. Really takes you out of the element, and makes it seem like nothing more then what it really is. They couldn't have at least two or three different animations? It would make it look much more realistic then it does now.

zoukka

Callibretto said:
eh, I really like the artistic vision of God of War games. granted Helios is a pretty boring design. but from God of War 2 artbook the gods and creatures design are awesome. I actually like that the Titan had a simple concept which is basically just an enormous giant. Disney's Titan is very over the top and well, cartoony. I'm not sure if those Titan design fit in with God of War artstyle.

How can you say anything positive about the gods? I'm not gnawing on the overall designs, which are amazing. Just the mattel gods and generic titans. I mean if someone can find the screenshot with all the gods standing before Zeus from GoWII, then that shot alone proves my point.

And I actually think the Disney titans would mesh really well in this game. Naturally they'd add more "grittiness" to them, but imagine the lava titan oozing with molten rock? Kronos is fine in GoW because he's the most human-like anyway.

It's not a big problem thanks to the great animations and just the sheer scale of these things. But the lava guy is boring as fuck :b

Zabka

Pretty awesome. Loved the Cestus and some of the minor additions to combat.

The environment textures acted a bit weird though. Those two bronze statues near the beginning looked fuzzy, but after I opened the doors and walked back outside they were incredibly sharp and detailed. Similar thing happened with the lava titan. Just normal early demo issues I suppose.

zoukka said:
How can you say anything positive about the gods? I'm not gnawing on the overall designs, which are amazing. Just the mattel gods and generic titans. I mean if someone can find the screenshot with all the gods standing before Zeus from GoWII, then that shot alone proves my point.

And I actually think the Disney titans would mesh really well in this game. Naturally they'd add more "grittiness" to them, but imagine the lava titan oozing with molten rock? Kronos is fine in GoW because he's the most human-like anyway.

It's not a big problem thanks to the great animations and just the sheer scale of these things. But the lava guy is boring as fuck :b

does Lava guy even has a name? I have to be honest, I kinda do consider him as generic titan. I think in the artbook they even show a couple titan design that Sony SantaMonica themselves state as generic titan. 'background' titan with no name/stories. other Titan design like Gaia, Kronos, and Atlas are great and pretty awe inspiring to me.

as for the gods. some of them like Zeus are iconic, and others have unique takes on their power and design. I love Hades design with hooks to capture souls. Poseidon supposedly had glowing tatoo on his body and will transform to mystical water form when he use his power. I also like the mood they give. Hades is just nasty and Poseidon felt very elegant. while Zeus just felt very authoritative.

I think in the end I just felt the design seems very genuine. it doesn't feel like trying to be cool and it everything just fit. imo at least.

SmokyDave

LLaMa-Tech said:
Please clarify.

I really dig this demo :)

I think he's referring to the fact you can ride the cyclops and use that to bash open the shield guards before you rip its eye out and bathe in the blood, licking your lips and shouting in a gruff voice.

zoukka

Lord Error said:
So...? 80s art aesthetic is something this series never shied away from, and it's better for that.

Nah I think you are wrong. The creatures look "modern" in style. The gods just hideos. I blame the fact that they didn't have to portrait them in the previous games longer than just a flash in some cut-scene. Not counting Zeus and Athena of course.

Hey I found it.

2s9em3r.jpg

:lol

Lord Error said:
So...? 80s art aesthetic is something this series never shied away from, and it's better for that.

If anything this series has always made the Ray Harryhausen fan inside me giggle with delight, and that feeling has multiplied after playing this demo. I can't wait to get the collection.

A.R.K

my impressions after finally getting to play demo last night:

honestly didn't like it much as I found the game boring. The camera is controlled automatically which I didn't like (I guess that's how it is in this series?). Graphics and presentation look tight but I have to admit after playing UC2 even AAA titles like GOWIII feel 'boring'. That game has ruined other games for me :(

PS: may be I didn't like it much cuz I was having fever/headache :lol . I'll try it again as I didn't even complete the demo and stopped in the middle.

Zen

Banned
zoukka said:

I didn't find this to be a problem until God of War II, mostly because the story expanded so quickly to include so much; the team certainly didn't have the time to really nail their designs like they did for Ares in God of War. But Even Zeus, the God you'd figure they might spend the most time on, came out fairly bland, imo. Athena and Ares were both fantastic.

A.R.K said:
my impressions after finally getting to play demo last night:

honestly didn't like it much as I found the game boring. The camera is controlled automatically which I didn't like (I guess that's how it is in this series?). Graphics and presentation look tight but I have to admit after playing UC2 even AAA titles like GOWIII feel 'boring'. That game has ruined other games for me :(

PS: may be I didn't like it much cuz I was having fever/headache :lol . I'll try it again as I didn't even complete the demo and stopped in the middle.

If you havent played the first two, I would highly recommend buying the GoW Collection coming out soon. Two of the best games i've ever played... great storyline, excellent visuals and music, and makes you feel more of a badass than any other game out there. Its really something else... its the definition of EPIC!

"If all on Olympus will deny me my vengeance, then all on Olympus will die!" -- Kratos.

Amazon said:
Dear Amazon.com Customer,

The Amazon Video Games team thanks you for your pre-order of God of War III. Now it's time to get you your pre-order bonus codes.

Here is your demo code: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

This code will give you access to the God of War III E3 demo.
:D

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Played through the demo a couple of times, shits insane! got a 200hit combo already so im hoping the trophies arent insanely hard like 300-400 hits. But anyways graphically its pretty fucking amazing, 5 months is a long ass time to wait but im gonna pick up the collection to tide me over.

Finally played the demo(thanks guys) and man it made me realize how much I miss this franchise.
I would just echo what everyone else has been saying if I wrote impressions but one think I really forgot about was the music! The music is so ridiculously epic in these games.

templeusox said:
So word is that a different demo comes with the GOW Collection. Truth?
While I would love for that to be true, I sort of hope they didn't spend time / resources on getting another demo out the door and just focus on finishing the title.

Never been a fan of the GoW series, but got sent a demo code. Played and still not interested.

That trailer months back was pretty good though.

Tr4nce

Wow. I never played GOWII, but I played the first GOW when it came out for PS2. I have been checking the YouTube video of that guy playing through the demo and I must say GOWIII looks awesome. Especially the part where Kratos rips of
Helios' head.

Awesome game! I had expected a bit more in terms of graphics though.

Tr4nce said:
Wow. I never played GOWII, but I played the first GOW when it came out for PS2. I have been checking the YouTube video of that guy playing through the demo and I must say GOWIII looks awesome. Especially the part where Kratos rips of
Helios' head.

Awesome game! I had expected a bit more in terms of graphics though.

You have to play it on your own HD set. Trust me it looks absolutely phenomenal in places.

Top Bottom