• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III: Demo Impressions Thread

obaidr

Banned
ok my impressions:

First of all this is God of War :D Yes they way it should be. The gameplay is still the same which is great. I like the way they changed the QTE HUD. I cannot say much more then it is as good as before with some little kool add ons.

The graphics are WWOOWW. Everyone who said this looks anything like GoW2 in HD is just bullshitting. I had Uncharted like wow moments. Specialy the last scene while you are flying. Besides the moment that snake-lion guy comes in and the graphic changes from video to game play. This game looks ssssooo good, it unbelievable. Even if the are from the demo is not the best looking area anyway. Cant wait for march. The game is already pre-ordered anyway :D

joker27

Neo Member
how long did it take you all to get your codes? I pre ordered it this morning from Gamestop and haven't got it yet. for LBP it was just about right after I placed the order

Picked up the God of War Collection yesterday,first thing I did when I got home after work was download and install the demo. Wow, im-fucking-pressive. I love the consistency with how Kratos interacts with the world, he kills shit. Mario solves everything by jumping over or on to enemies or environmental obstacles, Samus interacts with her world by shooting enemies, doors to make them open or environmental obstacles with her beam cannon arm, Kratos absolutely wrecks everything in his path. I love the physicality of how he interacts with everything. From grappling on to, stabbing and ripping apart harpies just to cross an environmental obstacle to beating down, riding and stabbing a cyclops to make it attack a phalanx of troops to get to an objective.

The Icarus Vent section was a bit on the rough side, the controls felt sluggish and the hit detection seemed a bit wonky but it's a demo from an early build.

I'm a fan so I was sold at God of War but the demo is going to make me go out and pre-order 3, possibly the deluxe edition all the more sooner.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
to be honest, I was a little underwhelmed by the demo.

something was a bit off. the 'scale' felt kind of forced, and I think I've maybe grown out of the simplistic GOW battle mechanics and QTEs.

I'll definitely pick this up, but the demo has lowered my expectations a tad, which is probably for the best.

Ranger X

Rez said:
to be honest, I was a little underwhelmed by the demo.

something was a bit off. the 'scale' felt kind of forced, and I think I've maybe grown out of the simplistic GOW battle mechanics and QTEs.

I'll definitely pick this up, but the demo has lowered my expectations a tad, which is probably for the best.

Same for me. Also it felt like the double jump is harder to pull off than before and I really don't like the harpies gameplay. Otherwise it's awesome :)

Lan_97

Just got through the demo. It looks a lot nicer than I thought it would, especially the cyclops kill. Frame rate drops were pretty noticeable, and detracted a bit from the experience. I don't think QTE gameplay is my thing, but I am still looking forward to this and going through GoW1&2 (collection, for the first time! :O )

kuYuri

First thing I did after getting God of War Collection was download the GoWIII demo. Fucking awesome, the graphics are way better than I expected. The lighting is what I really noticed.

Fucking Kratos!

No wait, FUCKING GAME DESIGNERS! "Hey, lets make him walk on a thin platform where a single divergence will make him hang to the platform he was walking on and by the time he gets up, blades will show up and make him fall to his death!"

After 50 attempts, I just turned it off... More tomorrow, I guess...

Angst

shagg_187 said:
Fucking Kratos!

No wait, FUCKING GAME DESIGNERS! "Hey, lets make him walk on a thin platform where a single divergence will make him hang to the platform he was walking on and by the time he gets up, blades will show up and make him fall to his death!"

Man you must have another GOW III demo than I have...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
shagg_187 said:
Fucking Kratos!

The Blades of Hades are a major pain in the ass, but it didn't cause me nearly as much trouble as the part where you have to swim away from the moving spiked wall. I fucking raged so much over that part, I bit my DS2 controller. It still has a bite mark on its backside.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
God of War 1 is full of moments like that.

Remember the pushing the crate on the conveyor-belt scene? Or the timed spike room? Or the pushing a cage uphill room?

It's sort of part of the charm for me. It comes from a time where games clearly weren't, unfortunately, as play-tested. Technically, it's inferior and rage inducing and all the rest of it, and I'd never accept it nowadays, but there's something 'innocent' about GOW that just makes me love it.

Agreed, Rez. Although some of it seems WAY harder now than it ever was when I first played the game (specifically, the timed spike puzzle with the box you have to push, good lord).

Yoboman

Rez said:

Remember the pushing the crate on the conveyor-belt scene? Or the timed spike room? Or the pushing a cage uphill room?

It's sort of part of the charm for me. It comes from a time where games clearly weren't, unfortunately, as play-tested. Technically, it's inferior and rage inducing and all the rest of it, and I'd never accept it nowadays, but there's something 'innocent' about GOW that just makes me love it.
Pretty sure God of War was play tested the fuck out of. I remember reading Jaffe's blog at the time and him talking about how it was one of the best things they did for the game, and no other game was doing play testing like them

Yoboman

Rez said:
well then they did a really shit job
I never had a problem in Hades to be honest.

I think it's more a case of gamer's thresholds for difficulty has slowly sunk down a lot compared to even 4-5 years ago

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Rez said:

I think it was all done deliberately, and tested thoroughly. The game, more than its successor, is a series of grisly trials where you see the remains of those who attempted before you. Maybe my opinion will change after I get further into my re-playthrough, but as it stands for me, its more difficult timed puzzles were a strength, not a flaw.

Combichristoffersen

Rez said:

There was some trick to the conveyor belt part, to make the flow of enemies stop, but I can't remember what it was. The timed spike room wasn't too bad IMO, but holy shitsquirrels, the uphill cagepushing was rageworthy. Same goes for the part where you had to kill a number of enemies before the floor collapsed. I think it was part of the final battle?

Yoboman said:
Pretty sure God of War was play tested the fuck out of. I remember reading Jaffe's blog at the time and him talking about how it was one of the best things they did for the game, and no other game was doing play testing like them

IIRC Jaffe later admitted that the Blades of Hades part wasn't thoroughly playtested, but was just rushed trough testing, and if it had been tested more, it would've been redesigned or thrown out :lol

Ranger X

Rez said:
well then they did a really shit job

Well no because this game was EXTREMELY polished and not bugged at all. Difficulty balancing is and entire other thing -- it's not debugging/testing.
And will all the difficulty settings they had anyways, this requires ALOT of tweaking and testing anyways. If there was a game that was tested it's GOW believe me.

Got the God of War Collection this week and the first thing I did was played the God of War 3 demo.

I really liked it. The game play is just how I remembered it from God of War I, just that now the enemies are a bit smarter so you need to be more careful. The game looks beautiful. It sucks that this will be the last God of War game.

Time for me to go beat God of War so that I can finally play God of War II for my first time.

zoukka said:
It's a fucking orange texture...

The one problem GoW has, is the lack of artistic vision in some parts of the game. Mostly Titans and the gods. I mean Disneys Hercules has better looking Titans than GoW...

The gods look like some action figures from the 80's.

:lol :lol

They totally do. Oh and that's one reason why they are awesome.

Combichristoffersen said:
Enjoy! It's arguably one of the most epic, and best, games ever made :D

Can't wait.

Now that I beat Ratchet and Clank: ACiT, I am going to play God of War, God of War II, Assassin's Creed and maybe, I'll play Modern Warfare SP and Spec Ops.

Kos Luftar said:
It sucks that this will be the last God of War game.

Yeah, it'll be just as horrible as when they stopped making Metal Gear Solid games after Guns of the Patriots, or Halo games after 3, and I can't believe I'll never get to play a new Ratchet and Clank game ever again!

Jaffe leaving didn't stop them, what makes you think Sony will ever let one of their consistent cash-cows die?

Punchy4486 said:
Yeah, it'll be just as horrible as when they stopped making Metal Gear Solid games after Guns of the Patriots, or Halo games after 3, and I can't believe I'll never get to play a new Ratchet and Clank game ever again!

Jaffe leaving didn't stop them, what makes you think Sony will ever let one of their consistent cash-cows die?

I have a feeling they are going to kill Kratos in GoW3

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Kos Luftar said:

Haven't we figured out by now that killing Kratos doesn't do anything but piss him off more? :lol

But yeah, I do expect this game to "settle" the current timeline, as it were, but there can definitely still be spinoffs and prequels.

Kos Luftar said:

See MGS 4. Oh, he actually had this adventure in between these two adventures that we forgot to mention. Oh, here's another prequel. Oh, there just happens to be a pretty similar person in a pretty similar circumstance who is about as able of a fighter and does a lot of the same moves that will somehow in some loose way be connected to Kratos on his quest for revenge.

PS I hear the Rolling Stones are going on a Farewell Tour pretty soon. You might want to go see them, cuz it'll be the last one.

Combichristoffersen

GuardianE said:
Haven't we figured out by now that killing Kratos doesn't do anything but piss him off more? :lol

But yeah, I do expect this game to "settle" the current timeline, as it were, but there can definitely still be spinoffs and prequels.

Actually, I'd like a spinoff dealing with a different mythology, be it Egyptian, Roman, Gaelic or Norse. I'd like a game based on Norse mythology, with the same epic gameplay and polish as the GoW games. Kind of like Viking: Battle for Asgard, only done by Santa Monica. And have the Midgard serpent and the Fenris wolf as bosses.

Punchy4486 said:
See MGS 4. Oh, he actually had this adventure in between these two adventures that we forgot to mention. Oh, here's another prequel. Oh, there just happens to be a pretty similar person in a pretty similar circumstance who is about as able of a fighter and does a lot of the same moves that will somehow in some loose way be connected to Kratos on his quest for revenge.

PS I hear the Rolling Stones are going on a Farewell Tour pretty soon. You might want to go see them, cuz it'll be the last one.

Point taken.
Well than, more God of War is good.

Kos Luftar said:

Someone mentioned the Gods vs Titans battle in GoW III is basically the reason we no longer have them around any more.

If Kratos is killed, I would be down for more prequel stuff.

Maybe even stuff when he was just a Spartan general...?!?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Love the God of Wars but both 1 and 2 where near broken on God/Titan Mode

in God of War
The Kratos clone fight, conveyer belt part
were beyond insanity

LLaMa-Tech said:
Someone mentioned the Gods vs Titans battle in GoW III is basically the reason we no longer have them around any more.

If Kratos is killed, I would be down for more prequel stuff.

Maybe even stuff when he was just a Spartan general...?!?

Kratos has been killed off before, and that didn't do any good, did it? Infact, that sonovabitch was crowned as the God of War. What's worse, when he was killed again, he fucking came outta the depths of Hades!

I'm sure if he is killed at any instance, he can and will be brought back...

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Love the God of Wars but both 1 and 2 where near broken on God/Titan Mode

in God of War
The Kratos clone fight, conveyer belt part
were beyond insanity
All you have to do is stop the conveyor. There are a lot of things that players come up about and call bugs but they never think to try other stuff, which is generally there for you to discover if you just TRY :lol

Just wish some of the secrets GOW games are known for was in the demo. Maybe it was and I totally missed it.

kitsune15

Neo Member
*bumblegrumble*...I added my name to the sharing list in the Demo Share thread posted in here earlier, but I'm not sure if its even active anymore. Is anyone willing to share teh demo with me? Pretty please? :D If anyone is willing, please send me a PM!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
For clarity's sake, I played GOWI in mid-2008. That's probably why I fought some of the difficulty spikes to be so sloppy, perhaps? I say sloppy, but I actually have super-fond memories of them. I really need to buy the Collection and replay them.

Zophar

I should be doing hw said:
But if Kratos kills Hades, which he will, how can people die? Which is a paradox within itself really.
Hades was just the care-taker of the underworld. He wasn't the lord of death or anything like that.

Zophar said:
Hades was just the care-taker of the underworld. He wasn't the lord of death or anything like that.
Do the greeks have a god for that which Kratos can kill? But really, killing the head honcho of the underworld would essentially render death inert anyway. If Kratos can get out when Hades is still around think how much easier it would be for him/everyone else to get out.
Better question, where does Hades go when he dies? :lol Yay, I beat him..wait, wut..

i-Lo

I should be doing hw said:
But if Kratos kills Hades, which he will, how can people die? Which is a paradox within itself really.

Hades is the ruler and guardian of underworld. He is not responsible for converting the living to dead. He is the keeper of the dead souls.

Human's mortality, depicted by the thread of life, is created, measured and extinguished/cut by the Sisters of Fate (Atropos, Lahkesis and Clotho) .

Kratos, already killed them. The sisters regulated the natural deaths. Unnatural deaths can still occur. And at the hands of Kratos... well we all know it will.

Banned
I'm just playing through GOW collection now, Image quality is amazing... can't wait til I plat 2, then play the demo again.

what other PS3 games compare well to the GOW3 demo in terms of Image quality? by the that i mean, lack of shimmery effects, strong edge definition, lack of tearing.

I walked away from COD4 very very impressed with their engine recently. Any other examples?

PS: Uncharted 1 & 2 don't do it for me in image quality, absolute texturezillas those games are though.

Banned
templeusox said:
Cory Barlog actually mentions in one of the BTS videos on GOW2 how the spikes were the only part of GOW which wasn't playtested.

I passed that whole level in one go on my 5-hour run. didn't fall once. quite proud of myself.

shagg_187 said:
Kratos has been killed off before, and that didn't do any good, did it? Infact, that sonovabitch was crowned as the God of War. What's worse, when he was killed again, he fucking came outta the depths of Hades!

I'm sure if he is killed at any instance, he can and will be brought back...

everytime Kratos is killed and come back it's because he had some unfinished business to take care of. you know, Ares and Zeus. after everything is done, I can see Kratos finally let go and just die.

God of War 1 started with Kratos trying to commit suicide. I can see Sony Santa Monica may decide that'd be a fitting end for Kratos in GoW3.

jett

D-Member
I love this fucking demo, I still play it every now and then.

Latest firmware borked it though, it stutters/pauses every now and then now. I don't know who's in charge of the firmware business, but they fucking suck.

edit: excellent picture quality btw, G Rom. :p

4138114916_a58fe02684_o.png

So good.

4138128204_72477e216f_o.png

Looks like Kratos is enjoying this a bit too much. :p

Top Bottom