• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III: Demo Impressions Thread

SmokyDave

Shurs said:
I'm fairly certain Rez was using verse as shorthand for traverse, or climb.

Nah, I'm betting on SamBishops interpretation of this one. I have heard people say "I'll verse you on Street Fighter" before (as a contraction of Vs. or Versus) and it makes me cringe myself inside out. Although Rez was obviously joking anyway.

Septimus

Jesus christ, that picture up a few posts where Kratos is in midair looks like... a painting come to life. Seriously lol. FFFFFUUUUU Q1/2 next year is gonna be off the chain!

Shurs

SmokyDave said:
Nah, I'm betting on SamBishops interpretation of this one. I have heard people say "I'll verse you on Street Fighter" before (as a contraction of Vs. or Versus) and it makes me cringe myself inside out. Although Rez was obviously joking anyway.
Yeah, you're both right. I was wrong. I'm at work and reading all this on my iPhone.

mr_nothin

Banned
SamBishop said:
First of all, this:
izni3l.jpg

...is incredible.

Secondly, remember that the Santa Monica Studios are effectively the landing pad for everything that Sony is doing here in the US; they help with core tech, with PSN projects, with optimization, and so on. Even just taking the first God of War game, their ability to finagle some incredible visuals out of the hardware was damned impressive, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect those that were leaders in the medium to repeat their performance heading into the next generation of hardware. Naughty Dog proved that confidence in technical prowess needn't be ill-founded.

That said, the Kinetica Engine had come a looooong way by the time they plied it toward God of War, so there could definitely be hiccups here and there. Still, going by the difference I've seen in just a few months' span, I'm fully expecting GOWIII to blow my peepers out the back o' muh head when it finally ships. Hell, I'm just excited about seeing the inevitable preview build trickling in (hopefully) early next year or at the end of this one. It's been a wider gap now between when I first saw the game and made the "eh, it's just God of War in HD" comments to seeing what I did at E3. There's bound to be some major improvements made in that time, and the GOW team tends to implement changes to the game in a sweeping, across-the-board fashion rather than just polishing up one little section of a level -- at least in my experience.
Yea, I guess I could agree with that. Confidence level = optimal.

And all credits go to Kilgore for the avatar =]

timkunedo

As someone who never experienced God of War 2 and only barely experienced God of War 1 back in the day, I walk away from this demo completely and utterly blown the **** away.

mr_nothin

Banned
timkunedo said:
As someone who never experienced God of War 2 and only barely experienced God of War 1 back in the day, I walk away from this demo completely and utterly blown the **** away.
It will do you GREAT pleasure to buy the GOW re-release on the PS3 then. This demo will definitely help the sales of that.

Shurs said:
Yeah, you're both right. I was wrong. I'm at work and reading all this on my iPhone.
iPhones cause you to have bad reading skills.
;]

Septimus said:
Jesus christ, that picture up a few posts where Kratos is in midair looks like... a painting come to life. Seriously lol. FFFFFUUUUU Q1/2 next year is gonna be off the chain!

image_god_of_war_3-10094-1708_0006.jpg

10ruzcp.jpg

Probably the best looking part of the demo. The sense of speed is incredible, I had my heart pumping the whole time.

timkunedo

mr_nothin said:
It will do you GREAT pleasure to buy the GOW re-release on the PS3 then. This demo will definitely help the sales of that.

Oh after playing this demo the gow collection is a day one purchase for me. I'm kicking myself for missing out on these back in the day.

rhino4evr

timkunedo said:

The GoW collection was made JUST for you. You should be looking forward to it more then any other release this year. Seriously, both games still hold up quite strong to the current gen games. GoW 2 is filled with so many WOW moments.

EXGN

I've been kinda out of the loop on GOW3(kicking myself in the butt for that after playing the demo). Are they still striving for 60 FPS in the full game? A few noticeable hiccups in the demo.

The game looks and plays awesome. I've just been playing Ninja Gaiden 2, which felt pretty visceral to me, but Kratos absolutely castrates that game in terms of brutality and badass-ery.

rhino4evr

krae_man said:
I dont quite get why I help the titan with Helios only to attack it(and no doubt kill it).

I don't either..at the end of GoWII you are teaming up with the Titans. Must have something to do with the overall plot.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
krae_man said:
I dont quite get why I help the titan with Helios only to attack it(and no doubt kill it).

I believe that is Kratos's secret agenda

he will ends the gods and titans era in GOW3 , he will kill everyone of them , Go Kratos GO

rhino4evr said:
I don't either..at the end of GoWII you are teaming up with the Titans. Must have something to do with the overall plot.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the demo cut out a couple of cutscenes (and also don't forget that it's an early demo and may not be representative of the final layout of the level).

jiggles

Banned
rhino4evr said:

I got the impression they only did that to end the demo in style. The finished game probably won't play out like that at all.

In the first game and CoO Kratos
was a pawn of the gods.

In the second game
the gods screwed Kratos over and he became a pawn of the titans.

I imagine in the third game Kratos
the titans screw Kratos over and he gets fed up being a pawn and decides to kick both their arses.

rhino4evr

Die Squirrel Die said:
In the first game and CoO Kratos
was a pawn of the gods.

In the second game
the gods screwed Kratos over and he became a pawn of the titans.

I imagine in the third game Kratos
the titans screw Kratos over and he gets fed up being a pawn and decides to kick both their arses.

yeah most likely.

I read something on Wikipedia that I had forgotten about the ending of GoW2

Apprantly, when you are looking at the different areas of time, The "future" shows Three Wisemen..which is assumed to represent the birth fo christ. So it seems possible, that the story of God of War is about the end of Greek Religion/Mythology, and the birth of christanity.

if thats the case, it's pretty freakin cool

I didn't see anything in the OP but can I pre-order this at gamestop and get the demo voucher?
Your guys impressions are killing me.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Excellent. Thanks man.

Why dont you just get it from the dummy account thread? I got it that way, it was pretty convenient. Of course, if you are already going to gamestop, then its fine.

rhino4evr said:
yeah most likely.

Apprantly, when you are looking at the different areas of time, The "future" shows Three Wisemen..which is assumed to represent the birth fo christ. So it seems possible, that the story of God of War is about the end of Greek Religion/Mythology, and the birth of christanity.

I remember Jaffe once saying that when the series is complete, God of War will ultimately explain why there are no more Greek myths, which goes together with what you are saying!

chubigans said:
I, uh, wrote four different ways to get the demo in the OP. :p
Ha sorry Chubs I meant I didn't see if it clarified I could preorder it at Gamestop.

iamcool388 said:
Why dont you just get it from the dummy account thread? I got it that way, it was pretty convenient. Of course, if you are already going to gamestop, then its fine.
Yeah I was going to get the Collection anyway figured this would work out fine.

Returners said:
No no. GoW collection comes with a demo code for this demo.

Preordering GoW3 @ Gamestop gets you the demo code.

Ahh thanks for the clarification bro.

Returners said:
No no. GoW collection comes with a demo code for this demo.

Preordering GoW3 @ Gamestop gets you the demo code.
I literally returned from Gamestop 2 hours ago with a demo code in my hand after I told the clerk I reserved the GOW Collection. Maybe he f'd up, but it worked for me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
templeusox said:
I literally returned from Gamestop 2 hours ago with a demo code in my hand after I told the clerk I reserved the GOW Collection. Maybe he f'd up, but it worked for me.

I'm pretty certain he effed up. Gamestop.com usually indicates which bonuses are given for which pre-orders. There is no bonus for the Collection at the time of reservation.

Speevy

Banned
I was pleasantly surprised at this demo. Even though I've watched it on videos, it's one of those demos you have to play to appreciate fully.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
rhino4evr said:
yeah most likely.

This is way to deep to be in a videogame. I'd love for it to be true though.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
rhino4evr said:
yeah most likely.

Kratos slaughters the Greek pantheon before he bangs Hera, she gives birth to Jesus, Kratos becomes God, the end

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mckmas8808 said:

Too deep? This was what I assumed was going to happen while I was in the middle of God of War II.

rhino4evr

mckmas8808 said:

I wouldn't discount it. I mean the first GoW starts with Kratos suicide. That's "pretty deep" fro a videogame too. Part of the reason the game works so well is it's mature story aspects. Even though I liked the gameplay/stages of GoW2 better, the story in GoW was incredible and emotional. Really took me by surprise the first time I played it.

-viper-

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
They're definitely going to explain why Greek Mythology is no more though. I remember hearing it from Stig too.

But clearly Kratos
will slaughter everything

rhino4evr

this is from the GoWII Wiki Page....

Super Spoilers

Before entering Clotho's chambers, Kratos sees three murals describing past, present, and future events. The first referencing the Great War between the Titans and Olympians in the past and the threat of its revival, the second showing a lone man (likely Kratos himself) surveying the carnage of a great battle that is waging on below him, and the last alluding to the journey of The Three Wise Men toward the birth of Christ.

anyone have a pic of this? It's all very cloudy, been a while since Ive played the game

-viper-

Banned
rhino4evr said:

Super Spoilers

Before entering Clotho's chambers, Kratos sees three murals describing past, present, and future events. The first referencing the Great War between the Titans and Olympians in the past and the threat of its revival, the second showing a lone man (likely Kratos himself) surveying the carnage of a great battle that is waging on below him, and the last alluding to the journey of The Three Wise Men toward the birth of Christ.
The second one is probably Kratos in GOWIII

timkunedo said:
Oh after playing this demo the gow collection is a day one purchase for me. I'm kicking myself for missing out on these back in the day.

:lol you're not the only one. I actually have gow1 on my shelf but i haven't played it for some strange reason. I'm getting GoW Collection day 1 in prep for GOW3. Not sure how I'm gonna squeeze it in between all the other games im getting, but ill make it happen!!!!!

NeoUltima

rhino4evr said:

Super Spoilers

the last alluding to the journey of The Three Wise Men toward the birth of Christ.
What if at the end of GoWIII, Kratos becomes the judeo-christian God.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
NeoUltima said:
What if at the end of GoWIII, Kratos becomes the judeo-christian God.

You stole my idea :(

Kratos becoming the Judeo-Christian God would explain why God in the Old Testament is such an angry, bloodhtirsty asshole

Why are we spoilering speculation? Whatever, here you are:

At the end of GoW III, Kratos has completely demolished Olympus, and slaughtered every god, goddess, and titan around him in a typhoon of bloody violence. Mortally wounded, he staggers toward Zeus' broken throne, and wearily raises his blades to destroy the last symbol of divine mastery over human will...

...when a shining bearded figure swoops in and lops his head off. "Sucker! I couldn't take on so many, but you cleared 'em out good. Jehovah is king now! Ha ha, I win!" Then he kicks away the bloody carcass and sits on the throne. "Now, which human woman should I impregnate?"
:D

beast786

Liabe Brave said:
Why are we spoilering speculation? Whatever, here you are:

At the end of GoW III, Kratos has completely demolished Olympus, and slaughtered every god, goddess, and titan around him in a typhoon of bloody violence. Mortally wounded, he staggers toward Zeus' broken throne, and wearily raises his blades to destroy the last symbol of divine mastery over human will...

...when a shining bearded figure swoops in and lops his head off. "Sucker! I couldn't take on so many, but you cleared 'em out good. Jehovah is king now! Ha ha, I win!" Then he kicks away the bloody carcass and sits on the throne. "Now, which human woman should I impregnate?"
:D

A+ :lol

spidye

played for the third time the demo and I still think this game is going to be incredibly epic. the framerate was bad though but I am sure this will be ironed out since this demo is from an old build.

pswii60

Seiken said:
What the fuck? if you didn't feel any kind of scale during these two parts:

/images

Then you don't know what the fuck "scale" is.
I think I know where he might be coming from. In GOW, sometimes you feel small rather than everything else feeling big, if that makes sense.

Compare that to ICO or SotC, where everything really does feel big. All the time. But, not everything can be ICO or SotC :)

I wonder if we're going to see any Hecatonchires in this game. The improved juggling mechanics make me think, too... what's the name of that fellow Hercules fought who would fully regain his strength and heal his wounds if allowed to touch the ground? :D

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
pswii60 said:
I think I know where he might be coming from. In GOW, sometimes you feel small rather than everything else feeling big, if that makes sense.

Compare that to ICO or SotC, where everything really does feel big. All the time. But, not everything can be ICO or SotC :)

I think that has more to do with the camera angle.

Chrono

Banned
I watched the Giant Bomb first look for the demo yesterday and couldn't believe the action, great stuff.

Kinda hope God of War IV will be on PS4. The team will probably want to make the most out of their time building this game on PS3 by making an easy second game, but please just skip to a next-gen one right after you finish this one and start thinking how you'll exploit 4GB of RAM and create a CG bloodbath so realistic it'll rock cable news all the way to Hades. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
SamBishop said:
Are you using that word because in your mind multiple instances add up to versus? It's not multiple verses, mang, that's a poem. I'm just trying to figure it out because you seem to be mis-using that word entirely.
that paragraph was completely almost devoid of punctuation and correct grammar for a reason. ;)

Top Bottom