• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Joystick Awards: Dark Souls III GOTY, TitanFall 2 wins Critics Choice

KodaRuss

Dark Souls 3 was very very good but it is going to be tough for me to name it a game of the year after we have seen the perfection of Bloodborne.

Anyway, happy with the choices. GOTY for me is either Titanfall 2 or Uncharted 4.

Gator86

I continuously forget that DS3 even came out this year, and I finished it at launch. A ridiculously forgettable game.

Overwatch, TF2, and Deus Ex are my top 3 so far this year. UC4 was a perfect ending, but the series definitely feels like it ran its course.

As a fan of both Titanfall and Dark Souls 1&2, Titanfall 2 and Dark Souls 3 were disappointing simplified sequels that lost most of the magic.

The most remarkable games with AAA production values I played this year were Doom (ESPECIALLY the multiplayer), The Witness, Inside, Obduction, Star Fox Zero, and Metroid Prime Federation Force. And yes, Uncharted 4 was good, but mostly for some of the combat arena designs, not the lame puzzles or predictable story.
Titanfall 2 gained complexity though.

And a subpar Souls game is still a fantastic game.

Rocket league> Overwatch as competitive year IMO.
Rocket League came out last year.

usp84

Best game won bravo

Although I am still playing Dishonored 2 and there is also FF XV and The last Guardian for the rest of the year

Corpekata

Banned
Is it for this year only? I thought it was just in general.

It is. Half the list is older games.

Pretty much all competitive or esports of the year awards do not limit themselves to games released in that year because very few games released a year build that scene that quickly. MP of the year typically is where you'll see it limited to games released that year.

Firewatch for best indie game...I don't even play many indie games but wouldn't The Witness be considered indie? Or Oxenfree? Because of those 3 games I played, Firewatch was by far the worst. If that was the best indie game then thank god I rarely play them.

Happy for Overwatch and CDPR. Don't think Dark Souls 3 deserved to win GOTY, but at least it's a better pick than Uncharted 4.

Doug Cockle winning best performance makes me smile.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Fallout winning best audio just kinda makes that list not credible.

Pretty, but it's true.

Deadbeat

Banned
They couldn't get enough of those recycled music tracks.
Or fucked up sound mixing.

Im confused with the 2015/2016 games inclusion so to cover both bases: best audio 2015 - battlefront. Best audio 2016 - battlefield 1.

Regardless of your preference for music, sound effects and general presentation of audio has to go to dice. There is no competition.

Noobcraft

Rise of the Tomb Raider as Xbox Game of the Year is a joke. INSIDE, Forza Horizon 3, or Gears of War 4 would have been much better picks.

As a fan of both Titanfall and Dark Souls 1&2, Titanfall 2 and Dark Souls 3 were disappointing simplified sequels that lost most of the magic.

The most remarkable games with AAA production values I played this year were Doom (ESPECIALLY the multiplayer), The Witness, Inside, Obduction, Star Fox Zero, and Metroid Prime Federation Force. And yes, Uncharted 4 was good, but mostly for some of the combat arena designs, not the lame puzzles or predictable story.

Yeah okay

RL is a 2015 game, no?

Rocket League came out last year.

It is. Half the list is older games.

Pretty much all competitive or esports of the year awards do not limit themselves to games released in that year because very few games released a year build that scene that quickly. MP of the year typically is where you'll see it limited to games released that year.

Though so. I stand by my comment.

Doug Cockle, for Geralt? Whoda thunk. But seriously, it's a well deserved win; for all intents and purposes, he is Geralt of Rivia. His perfromance across all three games has been consistently wonderful to experience.

I also like that they got ConcernedApe in there somehow. Dude's now a legend for resurrecting agriculture RPGs.

sjay1994

DS3? Thats a boring pick.

Congrats to titanfall 2 though, while I don't really like its MP, its campaign is one of the more unique and creative FPS's I've played in a while.

Freeman76

Titanfall 2 is simplified compared to the first. Im sorry but what the fuck?

Blood & Wine was a great expansion but I'd have Firewatch for storytelling and Inside for visual design. The Witcher 3 got enough praise everywhere last year.

Also, Doom.

yuraya

Its so embarrassing that Keighley didn't even put Dark Souls III into the GOTY category for the game awards show. Just shows how out of touch the mainstream media in the west is sometimes. No love for Japan. But hey they managed to put in 3 first person shooters into the category because how could they not...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Well deserved for Dark Souls III. A fantastic send off for the series. Now FROM, make your best DLC yet with the only remaining slice of Souls content we might have, maybe ever. And add trophies good lord.

Based on the wins, the goty should have been either Blood and Wine or Overwatch. Oh well, this should keep Souls fans calmed after TGA nominations snub XD

Glad that Doug Cockle, Blood and Wine and CDPR all got awards.
Also cool Overwatch got so many.

Lol at Fallout 4 winning best audio, if Planet Coaster doesnt get that award next year those audio awards are a fucking joke.
Planet Coaster probably has the best audio ive ever heard on a game.

Top Bottom