• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grammy Nominations announced, K.Dot walks away with 11, The Weeknd with 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

shagia

For all the uniqueness Kiss Land had production wise, it was still a really unmemorable record. I can only recall the two bonus tracks as they were the two best songs on the record, the Pharell Remix and the Kavinsky collaboration. Most of the record wasn't as great as two tracks delegated to the bonus section, which is kind of sad. I think Kiss Land could have been great if he built it around a certain theme and tightened the flow of the record. It's a really long album.

And for its worth, I don't think he really wanted to continue down that dark R&B track. He very clearly wanted to be a pop star, with his Dirty Diana cover and crooning on Kiss Land. He just jumped at the first opportunity he got to fill that MJ void. I'm just sad he scrapped a whole album worth of material with Doc McKinney a.k.a. the guy who executive produced House of Balloons and Thursday.

That was generally my problem with Kiss Land when you took away it's production value: it overall felt like a bunch of songs he wrote random things for, it's lyrical content just didn't really match up with it's production, but even with that, I still found a few songs memorable, like 'The Town', 'Belong To The World', and the title song, 'Kiss Land'. Sadly most I can even vouch for was the production, especially in 'Pretty.' Pretty probably had the least interesting vocals and lyrics, yet that production stood out harder than the rest of that song.

Kiss Land feels like one of those albums I wish I can defend but sadly couldn't hold up beyond "ahah, it sounds great!", even then I'll still give it some defense. I still need to give praise to Belong To The World for being one of the songs that legitimately worked out well though.

And yeah, I can definitely see that he wanted to be a Pop star, not that it should be seen as a bad thing, just a shame that he cut so many lines with other producers like Doc McKinney for higher classes to get where he is now.

I mean, since it's the Grammy's they might have a chance.

Ghost or Lamb of God not winning with how superb their albums were would be disgusting. Cirice in particular is one of the best songs I've heard in a long, long time.
ABR album was great though, they deserve it as much as the other artists do (except slipknot)

ABR album was great though, they deserve it as much as the other artists do (except slipknot)

ABR album was great. It ran through my car stereo more times than I can count. But Meliora and Sturm und Drang are absolutely phenomenal. Meliora is my personal favorite album of the year, but a lot of people don't see Ghost as metal. Sturm Und Drang is nearly as good as Wrath was, and I can't praise that album enough.

Timeless

I shouldn't even care about the Grammys but I just wrote all this :(

Blank Space is worse than Shake It Off. Not just because Shake It Off is easily digestible -- Blank Space is almost equally vapid, but less fun to hear. And both are far worse than Carly Rae Jepsen's godlike LA Hallucinations. I usually love Jepsen's songs, but most of her album fell flat for me. LA Hallucinations is the diamond in the rough. (Since I was responding to the "Record of the Year" category, it seems like that one is for production values rather than lyrics, so my critique should still hold.)

I'd rather hear Jepsen's album again than Taylor Swift's album again.

Love Me Like You Do nominated for BEST POP SOLO PERFORMANCE. Obviously I haven't heard every song in existence but it's a good track.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears Azalea Banks got shut the hell out from the rap categories. Did she go Chernobyl on Twitter yet? 😂😂😂😂😂

After Kendrick lost to Macklemore I'm done with the Grammy Awards.

They've never cared about hip hop. Ever. It took these people till 96 to institute a rap category so artists could cannibalize each other. Think about how many 10s of millions of records were sold in the genre before they deemed it worthy. Oh yeah, since the awards inception Eminem has won every time he put out am album so roughly a third of every radio Grammy ever.

Fuck the Grammys

Ivan 3414

Just came in here to say I've already accepted that the Grammys is nothing to take seriously, it's not even worth it to spend energy saying that it's garbage or sucks

Kissland is garbage, BBTM definitely is the better album

I see Alabama Shakes being a Herbie Hancock here and snatching Album of the Year

And Drake definitely deserved the nom for Back to Back. It's a good track; probably the only diss record in years to double as a great club record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom