• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grammy Nominations announced, K.Dot walks away with 11, The Weeknd with 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovid

Rap fans about to get crushed again by the tastes of 60 year old black and white people. These awards are not about quality, chill out.
You're going to have to wait until the oldest part of the Gen X demographic takes their jobs away.

They grew up when hip hop went mainstream.

Other than Florence and Courtney Barnett I could really care less, just like last year with haim and st.vincent. But that list for best alternative album this year leaves much to be desired. Oh well never did like the Grammies too much.

Yeah, pretty much. Still think it's dope The Weeknd has 7 and K. Dot 11. Really speaks to the quality of the music, regardless if they win. Also I must have been the only one that enjoyed Kissland......

A group of second grade girls covered "can't feel my face" for a talent show at my daughters elementary school on Saturday. It was a bizarre scene.

Azalean

Banned
what is the difference between song of they year and record of the year

Song of the Year, the award goes to the composers of a song and Record of the Year the award goes to the performing artist, producer and engineers of a track.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I hope their insufferable fandoms prepare for the inevitability of Adele cleaning house again. She wakes up in the morning, goes to the bathroom and shits out Grammys and platinum records.

M4oe5vt.gif

25 is beyond mediocre (and the reviews reflect that) so don't count on it sister. Adele can clean house because her style is really frumpy and she often performs looking like the cleaning lady but she ain't winning all the awards.

Gaga is gearing up for her big comeback so expect her to sweep in 2017.

Vishnu

You have to be kidding me, Back to Back is nominated?
Wtf, it was a good diss track, not something to get awards for.

Even though it's food for a amazing diss from Drake, that even Drake's diss tracks get grammy's lol.

MrS

Banned
Yeah, pretty much. Still think it's dope The Weeknd has 7 and K. Dot 11. Really speaks to the quality of the music, regardless if they win. Also I must have been the only one that enjoyed Kissland......
Apart from Often and The Hills, BBtM is trash. Nowhere near the level of Kiss Land, HoB and Thursday imo.

CloudWolf

M4oe5vt.gif

25 is beyond mediocre (and the reviews reflect that) so don't count on it sister. Adele can clean house because her style is really frumpy and she often performs looking like the cleaning lady but she ain't winning all the awards.

Adèle is the definition of music for middle-aged people and that kind of music usually vibes well with awards juries. She will win a ton, whether you like it or not. Skyfall was also beyond mediocre, yet it's somehow regarded as one of the best Bond themes of all time and won an Oscar.

You should of been done with them way before that as a Hip-Hop fan

I knew the moment I pressed "Post" I'd get this reply. True. Very true.

But I was at least hopeful he'd get the recognition he deserved for that album. It was a final "fuck you" from the grammys the moment I took notice again. But you're right.

Fool me once....

Really Love for Record of the Year? I can get behind that 120%. I don't expect it to win because lol Grammys but its cool to see the nod. Black Messiah kind of seemed to fall by the wayside since it came out after Christmas before the new year.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
M4oe5vt.gif

Lady Gaga winning Grammys? Bro, you high?

Trey

Glad sound and color got nominated. Pulling for Kendrick, but I wouldn't be upset if Alabama shakes pulled that win out.

Bronx-Man

Banned
ALBUM OF THE YEAR
Alabama Shakes, Sound and Color
Kendrick Lamar, To Pimp a Butterfly
Chris Stapleton, Traveller
Taylor Swift, 1989
The Weeknd, Beauty Behind the Madness

SONG OF THE YEAR
Kendrick Lamar, "Alright"
Taylor Swift, "Blank Space"
Little Big Town, "Girl Crush"
Wiz Kahifa feat. Charlie Puth, "See You Again"
Ed Sheeran, "Thinking Out Loud"

RECORD OF THE YEAR
D'Angelo and the Vanguard, "Really Love"
Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars, "Uptown Funk"
Ed Sheeran, "Thinking Out Loud"
Taylor Swift, "Blank Space"
The Weeknd, "Can't Feel my Face"

BEST NEW ARTIST
Courtney Barnett
James Bay
Sam Hunt
Tori Kelly
Meghan Trainor

Kendrick Lamar leads the pack with 11 nominations, Taylor Swift and the Weeknd are tied for seven. For those wondering, song of the year is the award for best songwriting while record of the year is the award for best single. You can find the full list of nominations here. The 2016 Grammy Awards go live on Feb. 15.

hughesta

Banned
Taylor and The Weeknd gonna sweep for the most part (aside from categories where both are nominated) no matter how much Kendrick (or D'Angelo, for Really Love) should win.

Warxard

Banned
I would be genuninely surprised if Kendrick even wins best Rap album. Dude's been snubbed twice now.

Best Alternative Music Album
Alabama Shakes, Sound & Color
Björk, Vulnicura
My Morning Jacket, The Waterfall
Tame Impala, Currents
Wilco, Star Wars

//FUCK//

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Still doesn't make up for Macklemore winning over Kendrick, but at least he's getting some recognition.

Grammy's are horseshit anyways.

RDreamer

I said it once, and I'll say it again, I really don't understand the love for To Pimp a Butterfly. Really tried to get into it about 3 or 4 times this year and it does nothing for me. Bores me to tears and I have to turn it off again.

Then again, none of the other albums listed do anything for me either...

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Is Really Love there because the single came out this year? So it doesn't matter that Black Messiah came out last year?

I'm asking because I don't want BM to be snubbed! Best album in so long...right before Kendrick actually!

Hope Kendrick cleans up though. He's from another planet.

I merged yet another thread into Wenis' Grammy post. Please use the search function and take a look at the front page of the OT before posting a new thread, particularly on news like this that is probably already being discussed. Thanks.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Some of these are...interesting to say the least. Alright and Girl Crush for the song of year is kind of dumb to be honest...also Fetty Wap not being nominated for Best New Artist...is kind of dumb as well. I also think them putting in random acts no one has heard of is disingenuous. Taylor Swift, The Weeknd, and Kendrick will dominate. Kendrick will probably get at least best rap album, since the others are really not that good. Also Florence + The Machine is nominated for best Rock Performance and best Pop Vocal album...what??

Still doesn't make up for Macklemore winning over Kendrick, but at least he's getting some recognition.

Grammy's are horseshit anyways.
Macklemore winning over Kendrick makes way more sense than if he gets snubbed here.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Hoping the best for Florence + the machine, deserves all the acclaim
Carly Rae Jepsen shouldn't have been snubbed, kelly clarkson getting a nomination is laughable
Surprised to see Really Love up there for one of the main noms given that it wasn't even a moderate hit

Lady Gaga winning Grammys? Bro, you high?

You can't come for any artist not winning grammys whilst sporting that avatar.

Just looked at the list for metal and I was sad The Black Dahlia Murder wasn't there. Their album was really good this year. Should have replaced Sevendust on that list.

gotta love how Alright was only talked about until the single dropped, made me really think who actually listened to the whole album.

Was kinda hoping for Mortal Man or King Kunta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom