• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 58th Grammy Awards |OT| Witness Greatness tonight at 8 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

Just because you don't 'fuck' with it, gender inequality is a fact, regardless of race. Intersectional feminism is important, race is important as a topic on par with and interconnected with gender equality, and should be part of mainstream discourse to a larger degree, but that doesn't take away from the fact that feminism and fight for women's right is important in and of itself. No need to qualify it. This is getting dangerously close to MRAs on twitter saying "hey, women in the 3rd world are suffering, you have nothing to complain about"
What an odd response

Meier

I didn't look at the thread during the ceremony.. just followed Twitter as usual. But damn, I wish we got to hear more Miguel.

Ponn

Banned
When two hot button issues, feminism and racial issues collide, GAF will tear itself apart. Or quietly seeth in passive aggressive manners.

I agree that the Grammys have not awarded the best music as of late, but remember when they were giving stevie wonder all the Grammys back in the 70s when he was probably making the best music of that decade. What happened to those voters?

I agree with you their but I will also say that u is the hardest song to listen to on the album. K dot throws so much emotion in their you can really tell. Still pissed this didn't win because it was the clear winner by just looking at the average ratings for albums. Unlike MBDTF (which should have won also) this album had a huge cultural impact and for that reason alone should have won more. Also every song I heard from 1989 just sounds like normal pop to me. Blank space, shake it off, and that got awful into the woods song.

Also my favorites are weasley theories, King kunta, blacker the berry, and hood politics.

Edit: you know what the most sad thing is tho. All the news outlets are talking about how Taylor gave a big blow to Kanye. Not any are talking about the injustice of the greatest rap album since ilmatic getting robbed by a album that will be forgotten next year :/
Can you explain what kind of huge cultural impact it had?

The Gaga performance gets better with every play. I can't really think of any other contemporary pop star who can pull of what she did. She really embodied him for a few moments there.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The Gaga performance gets better with every play. I can't really think of any other contemporary pop star who can pull of what she did. She really embodied him for a few moments there.
It was a vapid tribute. I know you are a Gaga fan but this wasn't well done. She was doing so well recently but this one wasn't good at all.

Imm0rt4l

They aren't off-base.
My criticizing her form of feminism as being superficial and noninclusive is not me being dismissinve of it in its entirety, especially when it's in passing. I'd say that comparing me to some MRA fuccboi is a disproportionate response, so please miss me with that bullshit. There's nothing wrong with being critical.

Thewonandonly

One of its songs has been chanted at multiply black power rallies. It shines light on the gang wars on Compton and how blacks need to stop gang wars. It shines light on how police brutality is viewed. And overall it's just a damn good album with sending all those messages :)

Kendrick had a Pulitzer prize winning author and the US President gushing over his shit.
Dr. Dre's Compton album was inspired by TPAB.
In intellectual circles, the album was revered.
A lot of his bandwagon fans hated it on day 1 tho, cause it didn't have trap bangers and Turn up music.

It was a vapid tribute. I know you are a Gaga fan but this wasn't well done. She was doing so well recently but this one wasn't good at all.

How was that vapid? She came off as a super fan who was celebrating him. Vapid implies detached or self-serving. She was obviously giving effort.

Putting an entire ode to a music giant on one person's shoulders (particularly a female pop star) isn't going to please everybody though. That said, the reception has been pretty much positive.

I like TPAB a lot but I vastly prefered good kid maad city. The reality of the matter is that about 3 of the other albums nominated for AOTY that I listened to were vastly better than the project T Swift put out. But its the grammys. Who here genuinely thought Kendrick was going to win?

Kendrick had a Pulitzer prize winning author and the US President gushing over his shit.
Dr. Dre's Compton album was inspired by TPAB.
In intellectual circles, the album was revered.
A lot of his bandwagon fans hated it on day 1 tho, cause it didn't have trap bangers and Turn up music.

Kendrick Lamar is still relatively unknown. You are confounding cultural influence with praise. His album was surely praised by a lot of people, but didn't really have a massive impact outside of his legion of fans / hardcore hip hop fans.

In NYC and Chicago people left after Future's set and didn't bother staying for Kendrick.

http://watchloud.com/kendrick-lamar...fter-fans-leave-following-future-performance/

Kusagari

Kendrick Lamar is still relatively unknown. You are confounding cultural influence with praise. His album was surely praised by a lot of people, but didn't really have a massive impact outside of his legion of fans / hardcore hip hop fans.

In NYC and Chicago people left after Future's set and didn't bother staying for Kendrick.

http://watchloud.com/kendrick-lamar...fter-fans-leave-following-future-performance/

Kendrick has far more commercial success than Future has ever achieved, so I don't know how bringing that up really helps anything.

Kendrick has far more commercial success than Future has ever achieved, so I don't know how bringing that up really helps anything.

Fair point. I probably used the wrong anecdote, but my point was that he is a big name within hip hop, but a small name in the music industry. Perhaps that has to do with hip hop's waning influence in pop culture compared to 15-20 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom