• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 57th Annual Grammy Awards 2015 |OT| Fancy Meltdown Incoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
tumblr_njhfidZHsW1r5zq6ao1_540.jpg

...help!

Too good

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
So I stopped watching after Beck won the album award because it was a bit of a snore
Did I miss anything?

Dabanton

What the hell did Sam Smith do to deserve that many wins? He's like a male Adèle, but somehow even more boring.

His white,does blue eyed acceptable R&B pop music and is british. Oh and his relatively sexless, just like Adele.

Yanks seem to eat that shit up.

Majmun

WTF!!! Beyoncé ONLY won three Grammy's?

And she lost to fucking Beck? I didn't even know he was alive until I saw the winners list. I'm fuming right now.

The Grammys make no sense, they reward commercial success over critical success, yet Beck's album doesn't even go gold in sales, isn't as critically well received, but still wins over Beyoncé

I have a very hard time believing many of those voters even heard a song from his album

Majmun

The rest of the planet hasn't either. I mean, does anyone know a Beck song outside of his Loser track?

If you like irrelevant hipster music, there's much better stuff out there.

Dicer

Banned
The rest of the planet hasn't either. I mean, does anyone know a Beck song outside of his Loser track?

image.php

I'm no Beck fan by any stretch but honestly, he's a better musician...and again why does anyone take this award show seriously?

The drama the meltdowns the faux outrage over an award that hasn't been relative in decades, it's just all kinda sad.

Ivan 3414

I've learned from this topic that PopGAF is the absolute fucking worst.

The Grammys should not be taken anywhere close to serious. But half the posters in this topic are acting like this shit is the presidential election. Most of us here are grown ass men and women; you should not be having a meltdown because your favorite, already well-celebrated and decorated artist didn't win new shiny plastic.

So Kanye on a rant again because Beyonce didn't win. shocker.

He takes it way too far though. Insulting others by saying that they are not taking their craft seriously, etc.

The funniest part is when he says he didn't crash the stage because of his daughter... and his clothing line. LOL

Cagey

Banned
Catching the tail-end of the Grammys, I realized I'm woefully out of touch.

Sam Smith was winning awards for a song I've only heard snippets of from in a NOW Volume 842 commercial, and I thought he was the featured singer on David Guetta's track Dangerous.

Yado

So Kanye on a rant again because Beyonce didn't win. shocker.

He takes it way too far though. Insulting others by saying that they are not taking their craft seriously, etc.

The funniest part is when he says he didn't crash the stage because of his daughter... and his clothing line. LOL

That's not a rant...

Anas

Banned
Rihanna almost wins every year but no one noticing because it become something normal.

But.. Katy Perry just killing me for her desire of winning and she's using to much Auto-tune in all of her records, she's become the female Leonardo DeCaprio of The Grammy's>

And for Taylor Swift, it doesn't matter she's got already 7, but since she started to do pop "I know you were trouble" in 2012 she win nothing.. go back to Country-pop :(

something else.. if you wanted to wait and see the winner of Record of The Year and you already saw Song of The Year's winner, go to sleep it's the same person just like last year Lorde won them both :)

Yep, yep... that's a rant alright. The shittiest part of it is the insults to other artists... and all because Beyonce didn't win. He actually goes as far as saying Beck needs to respect artistry and give his award to Beyonce.

I like Kanye's music but he's complete ass. The world doesn't revolve around Beyonce. There were other great albums that came out last year that deserve just as much respect and praise.

knicks

The Grammy's have been incredibly classless and informal for years now.

People wear whatever attire they want. This used to be a black tie event. You have Miley Cyrus introducing an artist as "the biggest badddest bitch ever." The stage is literally set up like the MTV music awards. Every performance the camera people turn to Taylor Swift and her entourage of girlfriends standing up from their seats dancing like a bunch of idiots.

The whole thing is literally cringeworthy. The fact that Kanye jokingly went up there like that, and everyone laughed it off....that would never happen at the Grammy's 10-15 years ago. It was like the Oscars.

/rant

If it makes you feel better I can't name a beyonce track except for Crazy in Love. She's garbage from any angle.

kudoboi

The fact that Kanye jokingly went up there like that, and everyone laughed it off....that would never happen at the Grammy's 10-15 years ago. It was like the Oscars.

/rant

he wasn't joking

Appearing on the E! network's aftershow, West said, "I just know that the Grammys, if they want real artists to keep coming back, they need to stop playing with us. We ain't gonna play with them no more. And Beck needs to respect artistry and he should've given his award to Beyoncé.

"Because when you keep on diminishing art and not respecting the craft and smacking people in their face after they deliver monumental feats of music, you're disrespectful to inspiration," West continued. "And we as musicians have to inspire people who go to work every day, and they listen to that Beyoncé album and they feel like it takes them to another place."

The stuff off Odelay was pretty mainstream. Devil's Haircut, Where It's At.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So Morning Phase has one writer on it and Beyonce has about 20.

lol artistry

Number of writers has nothing to do with artistry, especially in this case where "BEYONCE" is a better written album. It's all about the final product, and "BEYONCE" is definitely a future classic in its genre. Can't say the same about Beck's record though, so giving him the Grammy will definitely serve it positively.

Beck winning that award reminds me of Crash winning best picture years ago. Everyone was banking on Beyonce taking this one. Oh well, these award shows aren't really that big of a deal at the end of the day.

Cheebo

Banned
Number of writers has nothing to do with artistry, especially in this case where "BEYONCE" is a better written album. It's all about the final product, and "BEYONCE" is definitely a future classic in its genre. Can't say the same about Beck's record though, so giving him the Grammy will definitely serve it positively.

Beck winning that award reminds me of Crash winning best picture years ago. Everyone was banking on Beyonce taking this one. Oh well, these award shows aren't really that big of a deal at the end of the day.
except Beck is one of the most respected and critically acclaimed artists of the past 15 years. A lot different than Crash.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

He's talking about the rant, which was about "artistry".

I have to disagree. Imo Beyonce is more of a Kids' Choice Awards type entertainer, she's not really someone for adults to take seriously, let alone honor with accolades.

stufte

Mutations is one of his best albums ever.

Beck is one of the most talented guys in this shitty cookie-cutter industry.

I have to disagree. Imo Beyonce is more of a Kid's Choice Awards type entertainer, she's not really someone for adults to take seriously, let alone honor with accolades.

Are you fucking kidding me? And people say PopGAF is the worst. Name one song on BEYONCE self titles that's for fucking kids choice. This type of shit makes me boil. Just say you don't listen to her and move the fuck. Adults do listen to her, that's why she has 20+ Grammys, sold 150+ million copies world wide etc. The fuck are you talking about?

Yado

Are you fucking kidding me? And people say PopGAF is the worst. Name one song on BEYONCE self titles that's for fucking kids choice. This type of shit makes me boil. Just say you don't listen to her and move the fuck. Adults do listen to her, that's why she has 20+ Grammys, sold 150+ million copies world wide etc. The fuck are you talking about?

Sis don't feed into it.
KuGsj.gif

I didn't say adults don't listen to her. I just said that she's not really a serious, adult artist imo. To me, it's goofy candy, it's not fine art.

shuri

Banned
I dont think I've ever met an adult that liked Beyonce other than on neogaf. It's has always been girls aged 12 to 24.

knicks

I like Beyonce, I really do, but she isn't an artist that revolutionized the industry with creativity and massive talent. She is an unbelievably beautiful person who is a great dancer and has catchy songs here & there.

As someone mentioned she doesn't write her own music, which there is nothing wrong with as many artists in that genre don't. However, shouldn't the most prestigious award go to someone who does?

When you look at who wins album of the year at the Grammy's; Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon, Billy Joel, Michael Jackson, Phil Collins, U2 in the 80's, Eric Clapton, Tony Bennett, Bob Dylan, etc...

I'm not comparing Beck to this artists, but the guy is defiantly really talented. He is an unbelievable musician, and this album was pretty innovative.

Floridian

I have to disagree. Imo Beyonce is more of a Kids' Choice Awards type entertainer, she's not really someone for adults to take seriously, let alone honor with accolades.

Beyonce being a kids entertainer? Have you heard her latest album? No way that's kid friendly lol. Katy/Taylor swift are more of the Kids Choice Awards type entertainers that are safe.

I don't follow pop music very closely, so big freaking caveat to this post, but...

Beck is a great musician and artist. His stuff doesn't always appeal to me, but I recognize he is extremely talented. Having said all that, Morning Change is very similar to a previous album that Beck did called Sea Change, only Sea Change was better. As in, way better. So it's pretty weird to see an album of the year award go to an inferior version of something the dude has already released.

Is it better or worse than Beyonce? No idea, I don't listen to her. Judging solely on Beck's release, I have no idea how it's in the running for album of the year unless it was a very poor year for pop music artists. If Morning Change is their choice for the best release of the year, it must have been an abysmal year for pop music.

Outside of mainstream stuff, I'm doubtful the Grammy's freatured most of my top ten. Was Ryan Adams mentioned? His self-titled album was stellar. Spoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom