• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 57th Annual Grammy Awards 2015 |OT| Fancy Meltdown Incoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

^^^
And this is why "Real Music" fans aren't funny, lame and dry

While..... Real music fans are just so much damn funny.

Seriously though, no one really cares that Beck won. People are clowning about how irrelevant he is to people who are familiar with Michael Jackson, Prince, etc in the world who aren't some pedestal of pretentious artisty in the music business. If no one can relate to you, no one will care. That's how it works. His album may have been great, but really.... Sam Smith made an album about his ex.

Wish his ex would have stayed with him. Would have saved me a lot of annoyance at work.

By the way, what's the difference between song and record people? Isn't album and song enough categories already?

Painful to read.

Painful to read because you sleep at night to your White Noise machine that plays Beck and the rest of us just like to have fun with the rest of the artist this world has to offer. Surrrrrrrrre.

Lol, People have different taste... And #Who is Beck is trending because his is unfavorable. That's all it is. I doubt 95% of people who couldn't take the time to use Google to search him, would have listen to any of his music for more than 30 seconds before shutting that off for Taylor Swift.

Wish his ex would have stayed with him. Would have saved me a lot of annoyance at work.

It's annoying after a while but the song is good overall. It's not inflammatory and meaningless.

atr0cious

Really glad Beck won. His Scott Pilgrim soundtrack is fucking brilliant and really got me into the rest of his stuff.

Glad Em got recognized as well, great return to form.

Painful to read because you sleep at night to your White Noise machine that plays Beck and the rest of us just like to have fun with the rest of the artist this world has to offer. Surrrrrrrrre.

Lol, People have different taste... And #Who is Beck is trending because his is unfavorable. That's all it is. I doubt 95% of people who couldn't take the time to use Google to search him, would have listen to any of his music for more than 30 seconds before shutting that off for Taylor Swift.

lol, alight, we're done here.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell

It's annoying after a while but the song is good overall. It's not inflammatory and meaningless.

Part of the entire #Who is thing is jokes. Then people get to feel smug. "Trending on twitter" is perhaps the dumbest metric to gauge popularity.

Part of the entire #Who is thing is jokes. Then people get to feel smug. "Trending on twitter" is perhaps the dumbest metric to gauge popularity.

It literally is a joke. It becomes petty when people start to act smug about the joke. Like I said, literally no one cares that Beck won. It's a joke. Tomorrow, no one is going to talk about how he snubbed a bunch of people. If he did have some impact on his win, I think checking iTunes for his chart position would say more about whether it was an actual joke or if people were serious.

SURGEdude

People who don't know who Beck is are morons if they think they know music. That said I think he had some great competition. Not even sure I would have awarded it to him. Kanye came off as a total douchenozzle despite the "joke".

Dead Man

People are up in arms because one of the great musicians of the last 20 years won? Really? I don't really like most of Becks work, but there is no denying his skill and quality of work.

Edit: He's a scientologist? Ewww....

Booshka

All I care about is that Chick Corea won some Grammy's. Too bad Snarky Puppy wasn't nominated though.

This other shit ya'll are going back and forth about is hilarious, practically a TMZ call-in show.

burgervan

Why are people hating on Beck?

Nobody's hating on Beck. I think everyone here realizes the Grammys are a joke/don't matter.

Any tension in this thread is between the smug "real" music fans, most of whom have boring taste, and annoying pop music fans with no sense of perspective.

There's also weird Pop-Gaf infighting. It's best to ignore those...people.

burgervan

Nobody's hating on Beck, but your tastes are boring!!11

I really like Beck. But the kind of music fan that comes into a thread about The Grammys (a celebration of the most mainstream of mainstream music) to laugh at Beyonce for having four writers on one song is probably the kind of close-minded person who thinks a guy with an acoustic guitar is just inherently better. "It's more real, man! Emotions!"

It's the kind of thinking that makes Bon Iver happen.

Dead Man

I really like Beck. But the kind of music fan that comes into a thread about The Grammys (a celebration of the most mainstream of mainstream music) to laugh at Beyonce for having four writers on one song is probably the kind of close-minded person who thinks a guy with an acoustic guitar is just inherently better. "It's more real, man! Emotions!"

Not really, but you sure are showing your biases.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Uh oh. I just remembered this.

ov6C8Nbl.jpg

So, how many people will actually show up?

I like Bon Iver.

Peru

Beck is the black hole of dullness at this point and awarding him an award is a joke. Not like most nominees were any better... Sam Smith..

Funny thing is for all the talk about 'what if' Iggy wins an award, Eminem's album is so much worse.

burgervan

ITT: Opinions

Well, yeah. Obviously.

I'm just saying there's a huge contingent of people who dismiss all pop music outright, claiming it's shallow, then they go and listen to equally shallow indie rock, folk, whatever.

Anyway, none of the albums nominated were particularly great. Might as well give it to Beck. At least he's put out great records in the past.

Nothing is more cringe worthy than people saying that Beck deserves the win over Beyonce (OR EVEN SAM SMITH, AND TAYLOR SWIFT) because he could play 14 instruments.

Trash.

Creativity > Ability to 'play instruments'

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Nothing is more cringe worthy than people saying that Beck deserves the win over Beyonce (OR EVEN SAM SMITH, AND TAYLOR SWIFT) because he could play 14 instruments.

Trash.

Agreed.

That's the real reason Beck should've and has won.

Dead Man

Trash.

But Beck still wins that fight, too ;) Should it not be just on the basis of the quality of the work in question?

CloudWolf

What the hell did Sam Smith do to deserve that many wins? He's like a male Adèle, but somehow even more boring.

Beck winning is awesome though, Morning Phase is a great album.

Agreed.

But Beck still wins that fight, too ;) Should it not be just on the basis of the quality of the work in question?

Sorry I came off the wrong way, I think Beck should have won As he did, but everyone's response to this whole 'Bey vs.
beck' is the amount of instruments he can play etc, instead of the actually quality of the record. It turned into popularity contest of sorts.

Edit: it's 4am so I'm a little tired. Sorry if I'm not making much sense 💤

Edit 2: I like beyonces album better (higher ratings/sales too), but I can see why Becks album won though. I think it deserved the win, but it's hard not to agree with kanye.

burgervan

Agreed.

Outside of a few songs, Morning Phase is a fairly traditional folk album. It's a well done folk album, but it's not blowing doors down with its creativity. In fact it's a rehash of his earlier, better album.

Have you actually listened to Beyonce's album? I'm not saying it's a masterpiece, but it's highlights are just as, if not more, creative than anything on Morning Phase.

zychi

Banned
Beck had the best album of the nominees. But not album of the year to me.

Love the Beyonce fans whining about her losing, not even the most talented Destiny Child.

Chuckie

For those wondering Sia doesn't show her face in public anymore, she wants to be able to maintain some kind of private life I guess.

That's why you never see her face anywhere.

She's been making music and performing for yeeeeaaars now. You can find a million pics of her online and she has made music videos showing her face.
This singing with her standing away from the audience is just some artsy shtick / statement.

Partition

Banned
BEYONCÉ garnered more critical acclaim than Beck's album. I also kind of doubt the people saying Beck's album was "more creative" even listened to BEYONCÉ in full.

She's been making music and performing for yeeeeaaars now. You can find a million pics of her online and she has made music videos showing her face.
This singing with her standing away from the audience is just some artsy shtick / statement.

Yeah, she's been around, but the stage got a hell a lot bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom