• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 57th Annual Grammy Awards 2015 |OT| Fancy Meltdown Incoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck

Still without luck
Beyonce's bad music aside, does anyone think the Grammy's might act in a similar manner to the Oscars by awarding an artist an for denying them in the past?

Sea Change is an unequivocal masterpiece so I guess it wouldn't be crazy that its amazing follow-up gets the gold.

I don't get why do people act like Beyonce is some newbie in the music industry? She's been in the mainstream for almost 20 years. Her contemporaries are Brittany Spears and Christina Aguilera not Miley Cyrus, etc.. Most of her albums (including Destiny's Child's) aren't even "for kids".

Floridian

The 57th annual Grammy Awards hit a low note in the ratings Sunday night, which saw the telecast utterly dominate broadcast rivals while slipping in popularity from recent years. The Grammys had 25.3 million viewers and a 8.5 rating among adults 18-49, down 11 percent in viewrs and 14 percent in the adult demo (in fact, it was the show’s lowest demo rating in six years).

Flop Ratings. The impact of slow ballads, The Walking Dead, no televised Rap Categories, and Saul.

Hey, what was that Juanes song they played last night?

Edit: I think it was Juntos.
tumblr_inline_n8sr5h9nil1rufygp.gif

I would say Beyonce, Miley Cyrus, Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry all have the same fanbase. Perhaps Beyonce has people outside of that base too, but on an overall scale it's a similar one.

14-25. And you completly ignored the intial response which is that just because you make music about sex, drugs and alcohol doesn't mean it isn't targeting a really young audience.

In the US 18-25 are adults, you are basically saying yourself that Beyonce's demographics isn't kids.

Glad that you agree.

Flop Ratings. The impact of slow ballads, The Walking Dead, no televised Rap Categories, and Saul.

Not surprising. The other major award shows have at least tried to find a host that's relatable to the general audience and can cut through the "industry insider" vibe these events give off. Watching the Oscars feels like hanging around with a bunch of aspiring actors talking about acting methods, "giving yourself to a role", the quality of parts being offered by Hollywood, and other industry stuff that makes no sense to most people tuning in and looking for a good show. You need a host like Ellen or Fey/Poehler that both understand that industry vibe and can translate it for the rest of us laymen.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is the embarrassingly corny pun-fest that is LL Cool J. Who keeps hosting this show every year for some reason. I like Mama Said Knock You Out as much as the next guy, but as a host, LL comes off as that annoying guy in the office who has nothing of substance to contribute and instead spends his time trying to kiss as much butt as possible. He even assured us up front that he wouldn't try to say anything witty or funny.

Not trying to beat up the guy, but the host is probably the biggest driver of ratings for these award shows. People get excited if Chris Rock or Ricky Gervais is going to host. LL, it's time to take the L and focus on your TV career.

jmood88

Fans in a nutshell. I don't care for the rest of the trash as my point was above.

Contrary to what you and many Beyonce fans believe, it is possible to be a fan of someone without being an overly-defensive ass who gets upset the moment someone says anything critical of her.

Calm your ass down as you seemed pressed about someone commenting on your comment. Thank you.
If you're going to respond to me and get all defensive, then yes, I will comment. If you want to talk about anyone being 'pressed', you got worked up at something that wasn't even directed towards you.

Floridian

Walking Dead yes, Saul yes.
Do you honestly think not having a televised Rap category affected ratings and actually fits on that list? Really?

Some people claimed they didn't watch it because of that reason, which is odd because that's not what the Grammys are solely about. Also there's the fact that Macklemore winning those Grammys reduced the credibility of these awards, which made some people not even bother in watching it anymore.

burgervan

Holy shit, there's some ignorant ass people in this thread. Beck is great, but Morning Phase is an inferior rehash of Sea Change and I guarantee most of you haven't listened to Beyonce's album because you're too busy doing serious young man things like being alone and listening to prog and being alone. Grow the fuck up.

Art can be fun and silly and danceable and be just as valid as more serious fare.

I'm not even a huge Beyonce fan, but there's stuff on her album that's far more interesting melodically and harmonically than dull ass Morning Phase.

The Grammys suck, but listening to elitist douchebags is worse.

Beyonce's bad music aside, does anyone think the Grammy's might act in a similar manner to the Oscars by awarding an artist an for denying them in the past?

Sea Change is an unequivocal masterpiece so I guess it wouldn't be crazy that its amazing follow-up gets the gold.

If they're giving out "Sorry We Never Got Around To You" lifetime achievement awards, the homie Nas needs to get two.

But yeah, Kendrick winning this year was basically a make-up award for screwing him over last year just like whatever weed plate CD Iggy puts out this year will win next year.

Hex

Banned
Some people claimed they didn't watch it because of that reason, which is odd because that's not what the Grammys are solely about. Also there's the fact that Macklemore winning those Grammys reduced the credibility of these awards, which made some people not even bother in watching it anymore.

Sadly those wins were pre-destined, as was "Tenacious D" winning best rock/metal performance.

Contrary to what you and many Beyonce fans believe, it is possible to be a fan of someone without being an overly-defensive ass who gets upset the moment someone says anything critical of her.

On the contrary, you weren't being critical of her music at all, but decided to come at her fans. In which I commented on how hypocritical your assessment of her fans is when clearly this thread has nothing to do with her fans at all.

Yes, self titled was a critically acclaimed album up and down and very deserving of being nominated as well as almost winning album of the year.

Next, I wasn't defending Beyonce the person, but defending the short sighted, misinformed comments about her music as if her music is unworthy of praise, labeling it "kid like" and less worthy of accolades, etc. When half of the people who are making these comments don't like her as a person, doesn't and never listen to her albums , and cosign whack comments about how playing more instruments makes one more of an artist, than the other because one is a vocalist and has a team to help create a well fleshed out album.

If you're going to respond to me and get all defensive, then yes, I will comment. If you want to talk about anyone being 'pressed', you got worked up at something that wasn't even directed towards you.

It doesn't matter about it being directed towards me. I didn't know comments have to be directed towards one to comment on it. I wasn't being defensive but just called out the bullshit of the comment. That's all I did. Now if you want to have a serious conversation as to why SELFTITLED wasn't a good R&B album? Then we can talk. I don't have time for the hypocritical insults because someone is a fan of someone else music. That's whack to me.

jmood88

On the contrary, you weren't being critical of her music at all, but decided to come at her fans. In which I commented on how hypocritical your assessment of her fans is when clearly this thread has nothing to do with her fans at all.
I didn't say I was talking about her music, I was speaking of how defensive her fans get, which is something that has made me dislike them. The post I responded to was about her fans, not sports fans or whatever other non-sequitur you want to come up with to excuse their behavior.

Yes, self titled was a critically acclaimed album up and down and very deserving of being nominated as well as almost winning album of the year.

Next, I wasn't defending Beyonce the person, but defending the short sighted, misinformed comments about her music as if her music is unworthy of praise, labeling it "kid like" and less worthy of accolades, etc. When half of the people who are making these comments don't like her as a person, doesn't and never listen to her albums , and cosign whack comments about how playing more instruments makes one more of an artist, than the other because one is a vocalist
I don't really care about all of this. I like some of Beyonce's music but I hate many of her fans, and that's what I was commenting on.

It doesn't matter about it being directed towards me. I didn't know comments have to be directed towards one to comment on it. I wasn't being defensive but just called out the bullshit of the comment. That's all I did. Now if you want to have a serious conversation as to why SELFTITLED wasn't a good R&B album? Then we can talk. I don't have time for the hypocritical insults because someone is a fan of someone else music. That's whack to me.
They don't need to be directed at you to comment, however, you said insinuated that I was upset because I responded to what you said to me when, in reality, the only person who was (seemingly) upset was you. You jumped to defend the unnamed Twitter fans I was referring to and inserted yourself into it when it had nothing to do with you. I neither said nor suggested that every Beyonce fan is overly-obsessed and defensive, I said that her fans on Twitter acted that way. For whatever reason, you took offense to that and tried to come at me. Like I said, you can be a fan of whomever and not act the way that many Beyonce fans act.

Next, I wasn't defending Beyonce the person, but defending the short sighted, misinformed comments about her music as if her music is unworthy of praise, labeling it "kid like" and less worthy of accolades, etc. When half of the people who are making these comments don't like her as a person, doesn't and never listen to her albums , and cosign whack comments about how playing more instruments makes one more of an artist, than the other because one is a vocalist and has a team to help create a well fleshed out album.

I'm sorry, but I take issue with this. Imo Beyonce is not an artist. She's a product, which is totally fine. The same can be said about Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande or whatever, Madonna, basically any/ every mainstream pop star. Their albums are designed by committee to be as appealing as possible to the widest number of people. To me, that's not art and it's not serious or worthy of accolades outside of something like a Kid's Choice/ Teen Awards or possibly the VMAs. People such as Beyonce are just the cyphers through which cynically conceived marketing efforts are funneled. I would rather that musicians who have new ideas, something interesting to say and are less a test market-perfected product be awarded at the Grammys. Even though I know that's not really what's ever going to happen.

royalan

I'm sorry, but I take issue with this. Imo Beyonce is not an artist. She's a product, which is totally fine. The same can be said about Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande or whatever, Madonna, basically any/ every mainstream pop star. Their albums are designed by committee to be as appealing as possible to the widest number of people. To me, that's not art and it's not serious or worthy of accolades outside of something like a Kid's Choice/ Teen Awards or possibly the VMAs. People such as Beyonce are just the cyphers through which cynically conceived marketing efforts are funneled. I would rather that musicians who have new ideas, something interesting to say and are less a test market-perfected product be awarded at the Grammys. Even though I know that's not really what's ever going to happen.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Mau ®

The real winner of the night was Rihanna, who saw the biggest sales increase from the performance.

Congrats to the Bajan Queen!

yass i just checked tumblr and the Hive are PISSED
ahh.gif

20 Grammy awards yet the Grammy committee hate her, she doesn't get the credit she deserves, and it's ~disgusting~ the way Beyonce "600k+ copies sold in 3 days" Knowles is treated by the industry and general public
ahh.gif

Dénouement;151361735 said:
ahh.gif

20 Grammy awards yet the Grammy committee hate her, she doesn't get the credit she deserves, and it's ~disgusting~ the way Beyonce "600k+ copies sold in 3 days" Knowles is treated by the industry and general public
ahh.gif

giphy.gif

Mau ®;151354535 said:
The real winner of the night was Rihanna, who saw the biggest sales increase from the performance.

Congrats to the Bajan Queen!

wow is this true?

great news, she deserves it!

no album in forever and yet she stays on the front page of magazines, the top of the charts, and at the forefront of public consciousness.

effzee

Hasn't this always been true of pop music?

Partition

Banned

That's fine, but it implies the Grammys are prestigious awards in the first place. Far from it. The AOTY nominees outside of Beck and Bey should tell you that alone.

Also it's ALBUM of the year. Not ARTIST of the year. Even if it takes a team to make Beyonce's album, it's still better.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Dénouement;151361735 said:
ahh.gif

ahh.gif

ahh.gif

Girl you are doing too much in this thread (.........keep it up <3)

the AGEISTS can seethe but Madonna had the only GOOD performance of the night single-handedly saving this dire mess of an awards show. Queen of Pop indeed.

gimmmick

So beck winning album of the year over Beyonce's self titled is considered a travesty? Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down winning over Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA and Prince's Purple Rain is 10x worst. Lets also not forget greatest grammy snub of all time, Jethro Tull winning best rock / metal album over Metallica's ...And Justice for All. Jethro FUCKING Tull ... the same quote of "The flute is a heavy, metal instrument!"

saw someone post this...

Beyoncé album: 27 songwriters and 19 producers.
Kanye album: 49 songwriters and 25 producers.
Beck album: 1 songwriter and 1 producer.

Fevaweva

saw someone post this...

Thing is though, Kanye's album was better than both.

EDIT: ALSO, Yeezus had a lot of samples/quotes so various songwriters HAVE to be credited.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
saw someone post this...

this is such a stupid argument
the award is for best album, not for person who can write and produce the most. The finished product is what matters most

Just because a film is written, directed and produced by one person doesn't make it better than one with multiple writers and producers so I'm not sure why it applies to albums.

Perhaps the grammys need to introduce more awards that celebrate the individual rather than the product

just dropping by to say beck keeps winning

stay pressed

tumblr_static_cdg5vt4uufk80ocw4gcs8woow.gif

lmao

saw someone post this...

I really like Beck's Morning Phase but Yeezus is a better album, imo. It had some stellar producers and songwriters on it and despite that, felt very cohesive and whole.

ahh.gif

Girl you are doing too much in this thread (.........keep it up <3)

the AGEISTS can seethe but Madonna had the only GOOD performance of the night single-handedly saving this dire mess of an awards show. Queen of Pop indeed.

I... kinda have to agree. Madonna had an excellent performance and the song was actually really good, despite the stuff from the album she put out so far being abysmal.

saw someone post this...

Yeezus and BEYONCE are epics. Not to mention (as it already has in this thread) that they both used multiple samples that have to be added to the writing list. In Beyonce's case, she doesn't need to write a lick when she has the impeccable voice that she does, and performance talent up there with the all time greatest.

All this does is show me that Beck has no friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom