• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grammy Nominations announced, K.Dot walks away with 11, The Weeknd with 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revolver

It would have been nice to see the Dead Weather, Deafheaven or Chelsea Wolfe get nominated for something in the Rock category. I didn't know Elle King and that Ex's and Oh's song was considered "rock".

There are 3 electronic albums I'm rooting for in the category, and yet I know the Grammy is going to either exercise in mediocrity aka Caracal, or the record that the voter's teenage grandchildren are listening to aka Jack U.

Rooting for FlyLo though. It's awesome to see him finally get some recognition.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Just think it's cool that CFCF is up for his Max Richter remix. Now I can say I board with a Grammy nominee.

JeTmAn81

I only recognize two out of the five Best New Artist nominees, and Tori Kelly I only vaguely have heard of. This makes me feel...strange.

Also, the "alternative music" category seems really outdated at this point.

studyguy

Drake's diss track hitting up the Grammies is the real kicker.

meek-mill.png

keffri

Although I don't listen to them as much as I used to it's still pretty cool to see August Burns Red nominated for a Grammy.

Meier

Shocked that Leon Bridges didn't get more nominations.. his stuff is usually tailor made for awards. I wonder if some of his singles will end up getting recognized next year.

Disappointing to not see more Courtney Barnett but it was nice she got a nod. Will never understand why Noel is always overlooked.

The Death Cab album is not good at all. A massive, massive disappointment and their worst by far. Shouldn't be rewarded for mediocrity.

Kissland got 0 noms

Kiss Land is a lot better than Beauty... but I'm very happy to see him finally getting his mass market recognition.

Just looked at the list for metal and I was sad The Black Dahlia Murder wasn't there. Their album was really good this year. Should have replaced Sevendust on that list.

Was kinda hoping for Mortal Man or King Kunta
Mortal Man wasn't a single.

Alright took a life of its own long before the video came out. The chorus has been chanted at various protests for months, it's definitely a big record in that sense. Still I'm surprised it was nominated.

But did any of them really have the metal album of the year? Let's be real here.

Definently not,but I mean. At least this years nominees are better and actually resemble metal. Cirice and 512 are great songs though and Slipknot shoulda won album last year but, I'll take what I can get.

Yeah, pretty much. Still think it's dope The Weeknd has 7 and K. Dot 11. Really speaks to the quality of the music, regardless if they win. Also I must have been the only one that enjoyed Kissland......

You're not, I've liked pretty much everything that Abel has been a part of.

I'm totally out of touch with mainstream music. My favorite albums this year were from Panda Bear, Between the buried and me, Good tiger and Vulfpeck. As cities burn had two great songs as well but no album.

I usually at least recognize famous songs but this year I don't know any of them.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Stop calling him K. Dot. I thought the world had flipped-turned upside-down and suddenly Kayo Dot received the recognition that Driver deserves.

I swear if TPAB doesn't win Album of the Year I'm gonna have a damn fit

Why do you care so much? The Grammys are largely handled by voters who don't listen to multiple genres such as hip hop and metal. It's about ratings and name recognition. Taylor Swift will probably win, unless they feel the need to hand it to a more obscure artist.

Do you really care what 50-60yo people think about hip hop? Because the voters will largely be in that demographic. Maybe younger voters will try to get Kendrick the win, but I don't see it happening.

Squalor

Kendrick has the most nominations.

Swift and Weeknd are tied in second place.

Swift wins the most by a lot.

Bullshit music awards show continues to be bullshit.

Frodo

Go 1989! Best pop album from the last 10 years. (25 still boring as fuck).

Blank space such a jam.

It's not even the best Pop album of the year, let alone the last ten. And I was actually bopping to it earlier.

Anyhow, I knew the Grammy's were completely useless to measure talent, but I wasn't aware that they were going for that MTV demographic.

Tragic.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I hope the Weeknd takes them all home.

So, Complex collected a list of reactions from people who thought certain albums were snubbed.

This veritable list of winners include Dark Sky Paradise, Sremmlife, One Direction, What a Time to be Alive, and Wale's album. The two funniest ones are Omarion's reaction at his monumental and cultural paradigm-shifting single Post to Be not being nominated and some dude annoyed than "March Madness" wasn't nominated for Best Gospel Performance.

Other than that, there are quite a lot of snubs mentioned that are on the nose. RTJ not being nominated, no Father John Misty, no Sleater-Kinney, no Sufjan, no Kamasi Washington at all, and no Carly Rae Jepsen for Emotion.

Wow, what a shame re: carly. I really thought she had a chance. Sad, really.

It seems Rihanna has won yet again, wow! I'm going to rush out and prihorder AnTi today!

Toronto taking over

What is going on in the rock and alternative categories, I barely recognize anything, I guess I'm too old for this

LionPride

Banned
Why do you care so much? The Grammys are largely handled by voters who don't listen to multiple genres such as hip hop and metal. It's about ratings and name recognition. Taylor Swift will probably win, unless they feel the need to hand it to a more obscure artist.

Do you really care what 50-60yo people think about hip hop? Because the voters will largely be in that demographic. Maybe younger voters will try to get Kendrick the win, but I don't see it happening.
I'm still salty over the fact GKMC didn't win best Rap Album, Kendrick having a better album than GKMC up for Album of the Year makes me happy and I want to see him win even though realistically T Swizzle is gonna win

So glad to see Kendrick, Abel and THE INTERNET get recognized. Awesome.

I might actually tune in this time even though The Grammy's are shit.

shagia

Hope The Weeknd loses in every category, BBTM is a mess
wtzgU.gif

Kendrick deserves all the recognition

Right, I have to wonder why he and the producers of Kiss Land didn't continue with that dark, 'industrial' glossy sound they originally had going on, because although I believe the lyrical content won't really 'improve', they really could have played on that production style. It was real unique and stylized for what 'Pop' is, BBTM is a nice record but Kiss Land just managed to stand out more than BBTM by not 'sounding' like a typical radio record

overall a real disappointing list in there for me, but it's real nice to see artists like Kendrick, Flylo (!!!!), Fetty Wap, Jeremih, and The Internet in there. meanwhile meek mill takes yet another critical L without even doing anything lmfao

Even though no one else cares because i don't fucking know.
13. BEST METAL PERFORMANCE
Identity
August Burns Red
Label: Fearless Records
They better win.

nns3d

absolutely hilarious that back to back got nominated haha

i really hope that d'angelo and kendrick walk away with a couple awards but i'm gonna keep my expectations very low

Even though no one else cares because i don't fucking know.
13. BEST METAL PERFORMANCE
Identity
August Burns Red
Label: Fearless Records
They better win.

I mean, since it's the Grammy's they might have a chance.

Ghost or Lamb of God not winning with how superb their albums were would be disgusting. Cirice in particular is one of the best songs I've heard in a long, long time.

Right, I have to wonder why he and the producers of Kiss Land didn't continue with that dark, 'industrial' glossy sound they originally had going on, because although I believe the lyrical content won't really 'improve', they really could have played on that production style. It was real unique and stylized for what 'Pop' is, BBTM is a nice record but Kiss Land just managed to stand out more than BBTM by not 'sounding' like a typical radio record

overall a real disappointing list in there for me, but it's real nice to see artists like Kendrick, Flylo (!!!!), Fetty Wap, Jeremih, and The Internet in there. meanwhile meek mill takes yet another critical L without even doing anything lmfao

For all the uniqueness Kiss Land had production wise, it was still a really unmemorable record. I can only recall the two bonus tracks as they were the two best songs on the record, the Pharell Remix and the Kavinsky collaboration. Most of the record wasn't as great as two tracks delegated to the bonus section, which is kind of sad. I think Kiss Land could have been great if he built it around a certain theme and tightened the flow of the record. It's a really long album.

And for its worth, I don't think he really wanted to continue down that dark R&B track. He very clearly wanted to be a pop star, with his Dirty Diana cover and crooning on Kiss Land. He just jumped at the first opportunity he got to fill that MJ void. I'm just sad he scrapped a whole album worth of material with Doc McKinney a.k.a. the guy who executive produced House of Balloons and Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom