• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Y'all need to just learn to ignore people that are trying to rile you up. Then you could apply your ignore skills to the standard cars in GT5 and be megahappy.

torontoml

What happened to prologue stuff transferring over? Is that still possible or did that get mistakenly translated at some point long ago?

Melfice7

install at 99%

heart-attacks_0.jpg

LifEndz

I've never played a GT game. I bought this just to see what 5 years on the PS3 could produce. As a frequent N4G user I refuse to let troll comments reduce my enthusiasm for the game.

So uh... how long does 8GB take to install? Just started it and it seems like it's going to be a while.
Long enough for an episode of Dexter, perhaps? :D

plainr_

torontoml said:
What happened to prologue stuff transferring over? Is that still possible or did that get mistakenly translated at some point long ago?

I don't think the ability to transfer cars from prologue was ever set in stone. Would have been nice but still only limited to arcade mode.

Az

Revolutionary said:
So uh... how long does 8GB take to install? Just started it and it seems like it's going to be a while.
Long enough for an episode of Dexter, perhaps? :D

~50 min

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Can anybody who has the game comment on the clutch support for either the g25/g27 or (preferably)Fanatec? I know it's in, but does it act as a true analog clutch, or just an on/off switch. Not a big deal either way, but just curious. Tomorrow needs to hurry the hell up!

commedieu

Banned
called local mom & pop here in los angeles. *(venice area)* ...

they said GT5 is heading there.. and will be ready to pickup around 6-7 ish?.... my heart is pounding... I'm excited.. but christ if shes wrong.. i'll be a bit pissed off...I did confirm 'to pickup today?'

spwolf

ValleyJoe said:
Can anybody who has the game comment on the clutch support for either the g25/g27 or (preferably)Fanatec? I know it's in, but does it act as a true analog clutch, or just an on/off switch. Not a big deal either way, but just curious. Tomorrow needs to hurry the hell up!

someone before said clutch works really well...

So has amar or anyone done any detailed write-ups of the online features yet?

HomerSimpson-Man said:
8GB?

Sony ended the install cap?

I presume that the cap covered mandatory installs. Also, for all the people installing the game as soon as they get it, I thought someone said that for whatever reason just starting up the game and playing then doing the full install was actually faster than doing the install first.

gogogow

chespace said:
Play GT4 again. This actually looks better (3D rims, etc).
Stop spreading lies. GT4 doesn't look like that. Everyone would have called that ugly
5 years ago. It's either a LOD glitch or something went wrong with a portion of the
GT4 cars during the conversion to the GT5 engine.

Here's the Berlinette car in GT4. The textures "Berlinette RS" is like twice as lowres in GT5.
And the yellow textures surrounding the lights is like ten times worse than in GT4.
The side mirror in the GT5 version is "broken", while the ones in GT4 are perfectly straight.

6aKw8.jpg

hu0cjt.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
gogogow said:
It's either a LOD glitch or something went wrong with a portion of the GT4 cars during the conversion to the GT5 engine.
Its gotta be a glitch. I mean 1000 cars is a lot , but not really when you spread that over 4 years with multiple people working on development. That's sloppy as fuck if there are "glitched" cars because of a botched conversion.

Im really hoping its not the case. My copy is coming tomorrow :(

Niks said:
Be sure to post your impressions later SSX!

I'm still really early into it (Level 8). The only vehicles I have right now is the PDI 100 Kart and a Suzuki Swift Sport. With that said, i'll get the bad out of the way first. Yes, the shadows are bad. They're jaggy and wavy. The upside (for me at least) is that they're only really noticeable after completing a license test and in the pre-race camera angles. Once i'm racing I really don't notice them as i'm not really paying attention to my dashboard. And Autumn Ring really doesn't look all that hot. I don't think that it's a standard course as some have claimed, but it doesn't look as good as the other tracks. All the other tracks that i've seen (Top Gear, SSR5, Deep Forest, Fuji, Suzuka, Daytona, Tsukuba, the Ring, T246 and Grand Valley) look great. And as far as Standard Cars go, I haven't bought one, since i've said that i'm only buying Premium Cars in the game. But the only time that i've noticed one while racing is when I was closing in on some SUV and I could see that the windshield wiper on the back was just a flat texture. Aside from that I haven't been able to tell the difference.

The sound is the most pleasant surprise so far. It's definitely been the weakest link in the series as anyone that's played it knows by now. It was in Jeff Gordon's Special Event for NASCAR where there sound improvements really become apparent. There's a nice deep rumble from those cars that you never got in previous games. The sound isn't as raw as something like a NFS, which may or may not be a good thing depending on who you are. But it's a huge upgrade over any previous game in the series.

And now the physics. I don't think any of the initial cars that you'll pick (Level 0's) will give you a good idea of how impressive the physics engine is. My Suzuki Swift Sport for example is very easy to drive and you basically have to make some boneheaded mistakes to lose control. Surprisingly it was the karts that really showed me how improved the physics are. Since karts are all about having very direct control, you'll immediately get a feel of the kart gripping to the road in the corners. You can feel the karts losing grip if you brake incorrectly which helps significantly in maintaining control. This really became clearer when I tried out the AMG Driving School. It's in that where I got my first taste of the Ring in GT5. Because of all the elevation changes and bumps your car is often losing grip during turns yet you always feel in control over it. So probably the best thing that can be said about the physics is that if you make a mistake in the game it'll be your fault and no the physics engine for having some wacky happen.

But that's just some quick early impressions. But like I said, I haven't done much in it yet. I only stopped playing so I could eat something. From what i've played through, it's GT through and through. If you've liked the series then you're going to like this. If you've never liked it then it could still win you over due to the physics engine. But if there's something else that bugged you about it (like the career structure) then it probably still isn't for you.

meppi said:
I've never really been a fan of Gran Turismo as I've always been an arcade racing fan, but looking at some of these gameplay videos is giving me the impression that the way the cars feel and control seem to be very close to F355 Challenge on the Dreamcast, which I absolutely adore.

From amar's impressions

Also, greatest improvement is done in realms of racing cars, where Kazunori finally reached the levels of his only inspiration, Yu Suzuki's masterpiece F355 Challenge.

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=132738

Y2Kev said:
don't believe ondore's lies
:lol

methos75 said:
PSM3 has ripped GT5 a new one in their pre-review review, this isn't good:

"Unless the later stages and the online sections (inoperable at the time of writing) can utterly override the problems - perhaps by loading an entirely new game I haven't seen yet - GT5 is going to be the monolithic headstone for a once-great series."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=277401&site=psm

I think these reviews are going to separate the sites I read from the ones I won't.

Just played a couple of hours. Going in as a complete noob to the Gran Turismo universe (although I did play some GT2 years and years ago).

First impressions:

- The intro is so weird. I kinda liked it I guess, although it reminded me about an episode of "How it's Made" on Discovery :lol
- LOADING OH MY GOD THE LOADING. I opted not to install. Big mistake. The loading between the license tests are a nightmare and severely hurts the game. You *have* to install the game. Trust me!
- The main menu is a horrible mess.
- Why can I only buy level 0 cars at the beginning, and need to do so to enter the first license tests - in which I do not drive my bought car, and in which I level up to level 3 without much effort?
- Graphics are not nearly as pretty as I thought they would be after seeing countless jawesome screens/gifs/videos, although I still haven't played any night tracks or any tracks with weather effects so I guess I could still be blown away. The interior of the cars I've driven so far have been kind of meh.
- The car sounds are brilliant, and the music is nice.
- The car selection is pretty damn fantastic.
- After playing arcady racers like Burnout and NfS I'm not at all feeling the thrill of speed here. I remember this being my biggest gripe with GT2 all those years ago as well.

Maybe I just don't like driving sims :(

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Are you guys forgetting that GT5 is at 1080p (almost) rather than the SD resolution of GT4?

Of course the textures are going to look horrible and stretched. PD don't have some magic filter that can just add detail to the GT4 models.

commedieu

Banned
Heres a serious Q..

I don't have online at my apartment at the moment... whats that mean outside of the obvious? Can I still kick career modes ass until i get the net up?

Mush

Hay guyz, I've been at work for the last 8 hours, can someone give me an update on the online lobby stuff. Qualifying and Practice sessions? Penalty's? Simulation options?

Any vids around?

MMaRsu

Banned
gogogow said:
Stop spreading lies. GT4 doesn't look like that. Everyone would have called that ugly
5 years ago. It's either a LOD glitch or something went wrong with a portion of the
GT4 cars during the conversion to the GT5 engine.

Here's the Berlinette car in GT4. The textures "Berlinette RS" is like twice as lowres in GT5.
And the yellow textures surrounding the lights is like ten times worse than in GT4.
The side mirror in the GT5 version is "broken", while the ones in GT4 are perfectly straight.

Yeah except the pic you posted from GT4 is from a photo mode or promo pic.

jiggles

Banned
DoctorWho said:
It's a bullshot as far as I can tell.

It's certainly missing all the exif data that comes with photomode shots.

Here's what it shows:
7hG8D.png

Compared to another photomode shot in this thread that I downloaded, edited, and resaved:
5IiSX.png

Hmmm

Cigol

SolidSnakex said:
With that said, i'll get the bad out of the way first. Yes, the shadows are bad. They're jaggy and wavy.
When you say that do you mean it is as bad as prologue, or worse?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
FoxHimself said:
Just played a couple of hours. Going in as a complete noob to the Gran Turismo universe (although I did play some GT2 years and years ago).

First impressions:

- The intro is so weird. I kinda liked it I guess, although it reminded me about an episode of "How it's Made" on Discovery :lol
- LOADING OH MY GOD THE LOADING. I opted not to install. Big mistake. The loading between the license tests are a nightmare and severely hurts the game. You *have* to install the game. Trust me!
- The main menu is a horrible mess.
- Why can I only buy level 0 cars at the beginning, and need to do so to enter the first license tests - in which I do not drive my bought car, and in which I level up to level 3 without much effort?
- Graphics are not nearly as pretty as I thought they would be after seeing countless jawesome screens/gifs/videos, although I still haven't played any night tracks or any tracks with weather effects so I guess I could still be blown away. The interior of the cars I've driven so far have been kind of meh.
- The car sounds are brilliant, and the music is nice.
- The car selection is pretty damn fantastic.
- After playing arcady racers like Burnout and NfS I'm not at all feeling the thrill of speed here. I remember this being my biggest gripe with GT2 all those years ago as well.

Maybe I just don't like driving sims :(

How is the main menu a mess?

alba

Little is the new Big
The menus are perfect as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure why some of you guys are having problems with them :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom