• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valkyr Junkie said:
You guys saying that you're not gonna purchase any standard cars are in for a world of hurt. Aside from the fact that you will absolutely need to purchase some to complete standard A-Spec races, aside from the 2 diesel LMPs, there are no premium race cars at that performance level. You'd have to go up against Group C cars with Super GT cars.
OK GranTurismoGAF, we keep going in circles about this.

spwolf

SolidSnakex said:
I'm still really early into it (Level 8). The only vehicles I have right now is the PDI 100 Kart and a Suzuki Swift Sport. With that said, i'll get the bad out of the way first. Yes, the shadows are bad. They're jaggy and wavy. The upside (for me at least) is that they're only really noticeable after completing a license test and in the pre-race camera angles. Once i'm racing I really don't notice them as i'm not really paying attention to my dashboard. And Autumn Ring really doesn't look all that hot. I don't think that it's a standard course as some have claimed, but it doesn't look as good as the other tracks. All the other tracks that i've seen (Top Gear, SSR5, Deep Forest, Fuji, Suzuka, Daytona, Tsukuba, the Ring, T246 and Grand Valley) look great. And as far as Standard Cars go, I haven't bought one, since i've said that i'm only buying Premium Cars in the game. But the only time that i've noticed one while racing is when I was closing in on some SUV and I could see that the windshield wiper on the back was just a flat texture. Aside from that I haven't been able to tell the difference.

The sound is the most pleasant surprise so far. It's definitely been the weakest link in the series as anyone that's played it knows by now. It was in Jeff Gordon's Special Event for NASCAR where there sound improvements really become apparent. There's a nice deep rumble from those cars that you never got in previous games. The sound isn't as raw as something like a NFS, which may or may not be a good thing depending on who you are. But it's a huge upgrade over any previous game in the series.

And now the physics. I don't think any of the initial cars that you'll pick (Level 0's) will give you a good idea of how impressive the physics engine is. My Suzuki Swift Sport for example is very easy to drive and you basically have to make some boneheaded mistakes to lose control. Surprisingly it was the karts that really showed me how improved the physics are. Since karts are all about having very direct control, you'll immediately get a feel of the kart gripping to the road in the corners. You can feel the karts losing grip if you brake incorrectly which helps significantly in maintaining control. This really became clearer when I tried out the AMG Driving School. It's in that where I got my first taste of the Ring in GT5. Because of all the elevation changes and bumps your car is often losing grip during turns yet you always feel in control over it. So probably the best thing that can be said about the physics is that if you make a mistake in the game it'll be your fault and no the physics engine for having some wacky happen.

But that's just some quick early impressions. But like I said, I haven't done much in it yet. I only stopped playing so I could eat something. From what i've played through, it's GT through and through. If you've liked the series then you're going to like this. If you've never liked it then it could still win you over due to the physics engine. But if there's something else that bugged you about it (like the career structure) then it probably still isn't for you.

From amar's impressions

Also, greatest improvement is done in realms of racing cars, where Kazunori finally reached the levels of his only inspiration, Yu Suzuki's masterpiece F355 Challenge.

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=132738

QFT

I will also add that pretty much everything looks better than GT5P, and that there is 100x more content. Some of the tracks look freaking amazing, London texture update is really impressively looking.

So if you liked GT5P, you will adore GT5 and you will spend a year playing it.

Y2Kev said:
Y'all need to just learn to ignore people that are trying to rile you up. Then you could apply your ignore skills to the standard cars in GT5 and be megahappy.
:lol So true, I agree.

Fellas. GT4 was amazing, why can't you remember that? Just pretend that they added GT4 into GT5 and calm the fuck down. Shit, this news isn't new and you should have expected older cars/tracks rendering through a newer engine would show age... did you forget GT4 was out over 5 years ago?

The GT4 cars didn't get any worse since GT4 and so they aren't "crappy", you didn't say that when GT4 was king...besides, in motion all those "standard cars" will look just fine. "HD resolutions show GT4's age something something", I don't give a good god damn and neither should any of you!

ACH1LL3US

Are you able to upgrade suspension and lower the car's height? Would this work for standard cars and will the car visibly be lower on screen??

spwolf

commedieu said:
are those all standard? looks ok in motion, the suspension on some of those cars look fun.

yeah, and during races (not replay), it is pretty hard to spot the difference... it is more obvious during replays due to the angles.

Cuban Legend said:

Fellas. GT4 was amazing, why can't you remember that? Just pretend that they added GT4 into GT5 and calm the fuck down. Shit, this news isn't new and you should have expected older cars/tracks rendering through a newer engine would show age... did you forget GT4 was out over 5 years ago?

The GT4 cars didn't get any worse since GT4 and so they aren't "crappy", you didn't say that when GT4 was king... "HD resolutions show GT4's age something something", I don't give a good god damn and neither should any of you!

I like this guys take on it:

Guy Legend said:
GT5 is backwards compatible with GT4. It's a feature.

:lol

The Chef

TEH-CJ said:
I posted some impressions a page or two back.

Thanks for the impressions. Lot of disappointment all around it seems.

Im looking forward to playing it tomorrow though.

Cuban Legend said:

Fellas. GT4 was amazing, why can't you remember that? Just pretend that they added GT4 into GT5 and calm the fuck down.

Thank you so much for this Cuban :lol Hype restored!

KingDizzi

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It doesn't sound like he's very far into the game so I can imagine that SSR7 is really horrible if you're driving it with slow cars. But it's clearly a track that's specifically built for super car shoot outs.
SSR7 is my fav track so far, using the beasts in arcade mode feels nice but yh with the smaller cars it would be boring. The x1 on that sure will be a blast. For the reviews if they are negative so be it but my problem is just how rushed they will be, Sony took way too long getting the review copies out.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Dangit, this is the one game I thought would actually have my beloved Subaru SVX represented. Didn't GT1 have it? Or one of the other ones? Why must I love underdog middle-of-the-road icons of wasted potential (TN Titans, Subie SVX, National Trojan, et cetera)??

Edit: I haven't seen anything about the livery editor yet. I'm not expecting anything like Forza's editor, but what is it like? Could I make my alternate-history Duke Boys / Totoro Charger?

The Chef

Lets get back on track shall we?
GT5DustyRally.gif

5193023814_45f9d421cf_o.jpg

Grisby

I'm buying GT5 tomorrow guys and its my first real racing game on a "next-gen" system. Anyone have any tips? Particularly since its GranTurismo? I'm a racing srcub through and through.

I wish Brian Ekberg from gamespot was reviewing this game but seems Turn10 strategically hired him right before GT5s launch...(jk lol). This knuckle head is going to surely give the game a 7.5 or something. Anyway, game comes out to-fucking-morrow, can't wait! At least im not going in expecting the world anymore :lol

spwolf

cart's "interior" view is probably the best view i ever saw in racing game.... freaking feet are animated while pressing gas/brake, and it looks very cool... high polly hands and steering wheel too.

Shaneus

Loudninja said:
Lots of false info lately,yes you can paint them.
I just read that you have to unlock colours... so maybe initially you can't paint them?

Some of the decisions made in this game (unlocking damage, for example) are baffling.

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Shaneus said:
I just read that you have to unlock colours... so maybe initially you can't paint them?

Some of the decisions made in this game (unlocking damage, for example) are baffling.

What? Really?

h3ro

Shaneus said:

Kaz decided that players would have to bring him only the finest of the cambodian breast milks before he gave them the good stuff.

Repgnar

Square Triangle said:
Is the NASCAR and WRC series unlocked from the get go? I'm really excited for rally the most.

The events are unlocked by your level so those aren't available off the bat. NASCAR you unlock pretty quickly, I played it for a couple hours earlier today and got it unlocked and i'm past halfway there to WRC. This was my first GT so I was looking at a lot of different things for the first time so i'm sure people with skills could get WRC pretty quickly.

Didn't touch Arcade so maybe you can do it there right off the bat, online i'm guessing it's available depending on the lobby. Finishing up the install at the moment so if no one answers I can figure it out.

Shaneus

Len Dontree said:
What? Really?
Yup. From what I understand you need to hit level 10 in career before damage (cosmetic or otherwise) is applied. Correct me if I'm wrong though, I don't have the game... that's just based on information I (may have incorrectly) gleaned.

Edit:
h3ro said:
Kaz decided that players would have to bring him only the finest of the cambodian breast milks before he gave them the good stuff.
I thought I recognised that from somewhere :lol

TEH-CJ

Banned
Grisby said:
I'm buying GT5 tomorrow guys and its my first real racing game on a "next-gen" system. Anyone have any tips? Particularly since its GranTurismo? I'm a racing srcub through and through.

Rule of thumb. slow in fast out. always break before the corner and not into the apex. weight distribution is important in how the car behaves, so braking before the corner will shift the weight of the car forward giving you less understeer, thus being able to squeeze into the apex. also depending on the corner, always enter from the outside and as you break steer into the apex of the corner. do not accelerate until your exit the apex..

people think screaming sideways into a corner with all 4 wheels and making a shit load of sound is the fastest way around. not true at all.

elohel

im just gonna buy it, i go back and read all the crazy shit im hearing and some of it is true, some of it isnt lol

WTF is going on with the first impressions of this game?

also, the PSM article, him talking about how he had a 1.3 mini or w/e

how plausible? lol

clearly we're all just gonna have to play this game

The Chef said:
Lets get back on track shall we?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/iceatcs/Games/GT5DustyRally.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4130/5193023814_45f9d421cf_o.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/2hg79zo.jpg8gl7.gif
you always know where to tickle my fancy... ohhh subaru...

I'll be rolling in my '555, or my "McRae-Style" 22B, as always.

h3ro said:
:D

I wonder if it's still got it. Good memories taking that bad boy around Test Track.

I really hope it's in. I should check. The only thing that car would lose to in GT3 was the flipping F1 cars, regardless of the surface. It was obscene.

Jtrizzy

Im sure this game has dts, seems like only activision is releasing games without a dts track. Blops and dj hero 2 are both missing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom