• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Woo hoo!!

GT5 launch r go!!!!!!!! :lol

elitebeatagentsagentsar.jpg

As long as it has great physics and a boatload of cars and customization I'll be happy. The only complains from a feature standpoint I can mention is not being able to turn off the HUD and no cockpit view for the standard cars.

Can't wait for finals to be over!

h3ro

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I really hope it's in. I should check. The only thing that car would lose to in GT3 was the flipping F1 cars, regardless of the surface. It was obscene.

897. S Suzuki ESCUDO Dirt Trial Car ‘98

:D

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Shaneus said:
Yup. From what I understand you need to hit level 10 in career before damage (cosmetic or otherwise) is applied. Correct me if I'm wrong though, I don't have the game... that's just based on information I (may have incorrectly) gleaned.

That's weird if true. :/

Anyone know anything about the livery editor yet?

TylerD

If you can watch this guy's videos and listen to his impressions and not think GT5 is FUN... you are a total lost cause and should stay the hell away from this game and this thread and leave those that are going to enjoy it and play for hundreds and hundreds of hours alone.

http://www.youtube.com/user/christheimperator

He also happens to be a professional racing driver.

All hail the Escudo!

021.jpg

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
solidsnake, you weren't kidding when you said people are more quick to want to find bad things than the overwhelming greatness. For what this game is doing, it's a shame that some will want everything to be perfect. For the PD has done here, it's nothing short of amazing but let's keep posting stupid crap captures of GT5 standard cars and ignore the wealth of features and just revealed online experience which looks like it's going to be everything it was billed to be.

LCfiner said:
I have the Turbo S which is similar to this one but with a different leather and buttons.

the force feedback is amazing. very quiet and very smooth. noticeably better than the DFGT. and it’s super customizable so you can change FF strength, the internal vibration motor strength, the ease to spin the wheel, and a bunch of other settings, independent of the game.

I have not used a G27.

I will say this: if you go with fanatec, you need to get the clubsport pedals. I’d say they are more impressive than the wheel. solid feel. all aluminum. load cell on the brake so it feels pressure and not just travel.

if you use cheaper fanatec pedals, you may be better off with the G27 pedals + wheel kit.

Hrmm ... that's a tough call. It will be a gift and I think the G27 might be out of the price range of my lady friend this Christmas.

She's doing her homework though, I randomly got an email at work "What about the Porsche 911 Carrera Wheel by Fanatec?" out of the blue and honestly, I hadn't looked at Fanatec's because they always seemed backordered and such. But I guess that's just the higher priced ones.

Plus, I'm not sure, but the Carrera is Gear driven while the Turbo S is belt driven? I wonder if the quality of the wheel is there.

I read this review and he seemed to really like it. I'm just curious how it stacks up against the G27 and DFGT.

If I enjoy wheel racing a lot I can easily pick up the better pedals at a later date. I like the idea of it being upgradeable. BUT, for now I would want a full kit and the fact that the Porsche wheel has options and is programmable seems like a really good choice.

Especially if you say the wheel is fantastic I can get some pedals a couple months after Christmas or something.

Anybody else have any impressions of the Carrera wheel? It seems all the honest questions are getting buried by quotes of negative comments. HELP OUT THE POSITIVE PEOPLE!!

Just ran High Speed Ring in one of my Standard PSP cars. Standard cars still look pretty damn good! It's just a shame they don't have any sort of cockpit mode. That might be my biggest gripe with the game. I would have taken a standard cockpit mode for them over nothing at all.

Still, the cars themselves look fine during a race.

commedieu

Banned
TylerD said:
If you can watch this guy's videos and listen to his impressions and not think GT5 is FUN... you are a total lost cause and should stay the hell away from this game and this thread and leave those that are going to enjoy it and play for hundreds and hundreds of hours alone.

All hail the Escudo!

021.jpg

I dont know. Gamespot said it wasn't fun because it was nothing like Shift. A french site says its boring...and theres a still of a low polygon car. I think that overrides Chris The Imperator's opinion a bit...

TylerD

commedieu said:
I dont know. Gamespot said it wasn't fun because it was nothing like Shift. A french site says its boring...and theres a still of a low polygon car. I think that overrides Chris The Imperator's opinion a bit...

I know, it is a little too much like Gran Turismo for some.

AND I would rather have my most favorite car left out then relegated to the cesspool of primordial ooze that are the standard cars list. FUCK the supposedly amazing physics that make all the cars a unique driving experience. I don't want that shit!

TylerD said:

AND I would rather have my most favorite car left out then relegated to the cesspool of primordial ooze that are the standard cars list. FUCK the supposedly amazing physics that make all the cars a unique driving experience. I don't want that shit!
oh snap.

random question: did they manage to deliver on that Top Gear collaboration they were working on a couple years back? I haven't kept up with the details. I just remember something about being able to watch Top Gear episodes through the game?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
spwolf said:
GT TV works really well... i could play it right away without any wait for the buffering... looks good too.
Does it still have that neat looking Gran Turismo TV logo at the start of each vid?

Gawd, reading what I just typed makes me question how I got here at this point in my life. :lol

TylerD said:

Damn that totally worked, I'm so stoked to play online now. The first part was even better, him racing against a Nascar :lol . Yet he wasn't mad or anything.

spwolf

opticalmace said:
As long as it has great physics and a boatload of cars and customization I'll be happy. The only complains from a feature standpoint I can mention is not being able to turn off the HUD and no cockpit view for the standard cars.

Can't wait for finals to be over!

you can turn off map...

... I just got my MR2 (i had it in RL) and it handles now a lot closer to real car... fucking horn sounded like Toyota horn too. Is it actually possible that they recorded horn sounds?

It also looks good while you are driving it...

jett

D-Member
TylerD said:

My favorite GT car, the Mitsubishi FTO LM, wasn't even deemed worthy of being a standard car in GT5. ;_;

Facism

karting is great fun. had a spastic grin on my face the whole time.

bought a standard mitsu gto and it looks perfectly fine during a race.

spwolf said:
you can turn off map...

... I just got my MR2 (i had it in RL) and it handles now a lot closer to real car... fucking horn sounded like Toyota horn too. Is it actually possible that they recorded horn sounds?

It also looks good while you are driving it...
Map, but I assume there is still a lot of other stuff on the screen? My favourite way to play racing games is in the cockpit, with everything turned off. No idea of my timing, place (though it shouldn't be too hard to figure out), or anything. Makes it really exciting, and that's how I like it.

Alucrid

Banned
This is gonna suck. I get off of work at 2. I get home by 2:30. I can pick up GT5 at 3:00. I have to leave for a train by 4:00. :'(

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Metalmurphy said:
There never was one.

Found the oft-posted pic:

313sino.jpg

...but it's under "Online Features." What does it mean? Seriously, I have no idea if it's an actual livery editor, or limited to online races, or what...

LCfiner

flyinpiranha said:
Hrmm ... that's a tough call. It will be a gift and I think the G27 might be out of the price range of my lady friend this Christmas.

She's doing her homework though, I randomly got an email at work "What about the Porsche 911 Carrera Wheel by Fanatec?" out of the blue and honestly, I hadn't looked at Fanatec's because they always seemed backordered and such. But I guess that's just the higher priced ones.

Plus, I'm not sure, but the Carrera is Gear driven while the Turbo S is belt driven? I wonder if the quality of the wheel is there.

I read this review and he seemed to really like it. I'm just curious how it stacks up against the G27 and DFGT.

If I enjoy wheel racing a lot I can easily pick up the better pedals at a later date. I like the idea of it being upgradeable. BUT, for now I would want a full kit and the fact that the Porsche wheel has options and is programmable seems like a really good choice.

Especially if you say the wheel is fantastic I can get some pedals a couple months after Christmas or something.

Anybody else have any impressions of the Carrera wheel? It seems all the honest questions are getting buried by quotes of negative comments. HELP OUT THE POSITIVE PEOPLE!!

hmm. this changes things, my apologies. I was under the impression that the Carrara was just like the GT3 or the Turbo S since it uses the same motor… but the carerra is, indeed, gear driven. that would probably make the feel less smooth and would explain why it’s cheaper and includes the shifter compared to the GT3 RS that they sell (for 180 with the simpler pedals)

I don’t know if anyone on Gaf has used this model. most people here with fanatec wheels have the Turbo S since it works on three platforms.

you may want to look into the GT3 RS with the belt drive and then get the clubsport pedals and the shifter package later on.

spwolf

chubigans said:
Does it still have that neat looking Gran Turismo TV logo at the start of each vid?

Gawd, reading what I just typed makes me question how I got here at this point in my life. :lol

there is logo at top right, like in photomode... this works really really well.

there is ton of GT videos, i guess everything that was ever released by them (recently)... and also get Super GT and Best Motoring channels, but that content needs to be purchased and it isnt available right now

UFRA

Hey fellow Amazon pre-order Gaffers, check your order status!

It's 9PM here in the midwest, and Amazon has just shipped my GT5. :D

Edit: actually they shipped it at 6:27PM, but they finally updated the order status to reflect this.

spwolf

opticalmace said:
Map, but I assume there is still a lot of other stuff on the screen? My favourite way to play racing games is in the cockpit, with everything turned off. No idea of my timing, place (though it shouldn't be too hard to figure out), or anything. Makes it really exciting, and that's how I like it.

yeah, screen is full of rest of the stuff :)

personally, i find it very hard to track interior stuff, my eyes dont work that way (they focus on the outside stuff and disregard everything else).

brentech

UFRA said:
Hey fellow Amazon pre-order Gaffers, check your order status!

It's 9PM here in the midwest, and Amazon has just shipped my GT5. :D

Edit: actually they shipped it at 6:27PM, but they finally updated the order status to reflect this.
Live a little South of Cleveland, OH. Mine just updated as shipped and is 5 hours away in Whitestown, IN.
This is killing me....

Shurs

I asked this before, and it may have been answered, but this thread is moving fast, so I'll ask again.

Can we run time trials on the Top Gear Test Track from a standstill like they do on the show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom