• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehom

Metalmurphy said:
Did you tell him to overtake? :p
Of course, like a million times. In this race, their mood meter stays in red...so maybe they're too hot headed to listen.

*this game is worse than crack. All I want to do is gold everything...then start collecting every car I wish I could afford and max them out in modifications.....then maybe I'll take a break.

Tell me about it. There were several races when my car had the computer beaten in every category 393 hp Civic Type R and he couldn't even beat a bunch of 220-250 hp cars. Talk about pathetic. I just gave him a R33 Skyline to beat the Japanese 90s event.

My first driver was just like a lot of people are talking about. Complete waste of time. This new guy is nuts though. You can tell just from watching that he's a different driver which is really impressive. He'll go for the slightest gap and if someone blocks him he'll start pushing them around.

Juicy Bob

I can safely say that now, driving the Standards without a cockpit view doesn't even bother me anymore. I thought that was going to ruin the Standards for me but the more I play the more I realise I don't even think about it when racing.

Yeah I still have my first driver. I'm to lazy to train the other 2. Plus if I put them in a race that's too high for them, they spin out for no reason. I know they could do the track because I grind with the same track.

I make them grind in the beginning on Cupman Cup Grandvalley speedway the short version and later on FF race on the same track yet he spins out for no reason 2 times in a row on the freaking straightway.

Discouraged I stop for the day.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Fantastic. I send my fully tuned Italia 458 to my brother so he could drive it and when I send it I got an "Unexpected error"

The Italia was gone from my garage. I called him. He didn't receive it.

Great. Over 600k down the drain.

TTG

Crakatak187 said:
Tell me about it. There were several races when my car had the computer beaten in every category 393 hp Civic Type R and he couldn't even beat a bunch of 220-250 hp cars. Talk about pathetic. I just gave him a R33 Skyline to beat the Japanese 90s event.

My b spec driver is the same way, fucking terrible. They should really have a qualifying lap in the game for b spec. He can't over take anyone, ever. It doesn't help matters that I'm not a fan of all the shitty cars that are required to beat a lot of the early races. I'll buy something, change the oil, add 3-5k in bolt ons and win the race. B spec needs a race car to beat a hatchback...

TTG said:
My b spec driver is the same way, fucking terrible. They should really have a qualifying lap in the game for b spec. He can't over take anyone, ever. It doesn't help matters that I'm not a fan of all the shitty cars that are required to beat a lot of the early races. I'll buy something, change the oil, add 3-5k in bolt ons and win the race. B spec needs a race car to beat a hatchback...
:lol so true.

I'm not looking forward to the world cup series on professional...What do I have to buy for him? A F1? :lol

spats

bandresen said:
Fantastic. I send my fully tuned Italia 458 to my brother so he could drive it and when I send it I got an "Unexpected error"

Same thing happened to me when I sent a Dodge Ram Laramie to a friend so he could beat the sports pickup cup. Pretty unfortunate.

TTG

Crakatak187 said:
:lol so true.

I'm not looking forward to the world cup series on professional...What do I have to buy for him? A F1? :lol

I'm just hoping that eventually he'll get to a decent enough level where I can enter a race that actually gives back some credits and is easy to win at the same time. I'll just have this idiot do that for 5 hours or so. Hopefully as he levels up he'll get better.

IN OTHER NEWS! There's a second round of cones in the ib section of the license tests. I'm ready to give up without even trying. Goodbye all gold run! I gave it a shot.

Arex

Mik2121 said:
Japanese version here and there's a Museum icon right there on the My Home menu on the left, at the bottom next to tracks.

Yeah, but it's only a blank icon on mine :\ Haven't gone online for a while tho, so that might be the cause.. I hope.

leehom

Psychotext said:
As boring is bspec is to "play", I have to admit that my drivers have given me some genuinely exciting races to watch.
Ha..the opposite for me. It's painful, nerve racking and stressful.

Goldrusher

Bought another car.
Only the 5th, even though I already have 57 cars.

edit: cheap starter car, Ferrari 512, Nissan GT-R, Tesla Roadster, Ferrari 458

SmokyDave

Psychotext said:
As boring is bspec is to "play", I have to admit that my drivers have given me some genuinely exciting races to watch.
I love B-Spec. I stuck it on Sunday morning because I was too hungover to drive and I ended up getting really involved. The races are genuinely exciting (my driver has a habit of winning races on the final couple of corners) and I'm enjoying watching C. Aguilera crawling her way up the rankings.

It looks phenomenal as well, even when it's a pack of standard cars. There's just something about this game in motion, it gives me some uncanny valley thing.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Don't care about standard vs premium, or pixely shadows, or locked damage..

I love this game.

Seriously the best moments I've had playing were the Vitz and European classic races.. real cars.. real driving..no excuses. I'll admit I'll power my way through unrestricted races with super cars when I can but when I have to buckle down and get a 61 Jaguar Coupe I'll do and I'll do it right.

The best part is knowing that at 10 hours in I still have about 490 to go.

DonMigs85

spats said:
Same thing happened to me when I sent a Dodge Ram Laramie to a friend so he could beat the sports pickup cup. Pretty unfortunate.
This is pretty dumb, you'd think the car would stay in your garage in the event of any error. Hopefully it's been brought to Kaz's attention and they patch it up ASAP.

I have to say iam not realy impressed how this game turned out. The shadows suck. Graphical bugs all over (blurry textures etc). The overall imagequality is bad. The menues take forever to load anything. Iam staring half the time when i want to play the game on a blinking GT logo.

Ploid 3.0

bandresen said:

This is how I lost my Furai. It's not a premium, but it was my best car. Miss it. Now my best is Veyron.

mazda-furai-14.jpg

bandresen said:

This is why you can't download a car.

Mœbius

Arex said:
Yeah, but it's only a blank icon on mine :\ Haven't gone online for a while tho, so that might be the cause.. I hope.

Weird, it's blank on mine too (also Asian version), and I have been / am online now. Wtf is going on here??

burnfout

TheSeks said:
Oh boy, you're in for a doozy with the second one.

Maybe I need to turn off TCS from 5.

Or ABS from 1.

Or ASM. But that helps the car stop being on ice-cubes. :/

Front Brakes and Rear Breaks being set to 10 helps it stop and helps the ASM keep control on the car.

Not sure what is causing me to be so slow in catching up to 5/4/3/2/1 after the hammerhead in the first lap. Otherwise I have most of the other cars licked in that lap. Ugh.

This is my run with standard setttings

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=0zF5aW8wSLU

GodofWine

I cracked...my 'mod as needed' mantra crumbled...I saw a '64 GTO in the lot, bought it (45,000 credits)...proceeded to bleed my money from 330,000 to 160,000 turning it into a 750hp, 1150kg beast that smokes the inside tire on all turns, and occasionally lights them up going down a straight (the only thing I never upgrade was the diff...I think the40 year old one is over matched :/ )

It did win me some cash back by winning a classic suprecar race with it...

DonMigs85

maniac-kun said:
I have to say iam not realy impressed how this game turned out. The shadows suck. Graphical bugs all over (blurry textures etc). The overall imagequality is bad. The menues take forever to load anything. Iam staring half the time when i want to play the game on a blinking GT logo.
Blame it primarily on the lousy GPU in the PS3, and secondarily on the desire to try to keep the game at 60FPS.

shantyman said:
I'm surprised at how well the standard cars look during races. I think they hold up just fine.
I have to differ on this one. Was doing the Mercedes challenge (SL300) and a few of the cars I came across had me retching. Low poly and wrapped in clingfilm.

Some aren't too noticeable, but ugh god... some of them are disgusting. Especially when you come up close to them in slow corners.

Callibretto said:
No museum icon in my home menu :(
2010-11-30%2020.23.46.jpg

And I've been playing online too...

is that the Asian (HK etc.) version?

Because it says in the manual that you can't trade cards with people playing this version. I guess that's because there is no museum for whatever reason.

DonMigs85

shantyman said:
I'm surprised at how well the standard cars look during races. I think they hold up just fine.
It varies from car to car but generally they look ok from a distance. It's just that they use sometimes-blurry textures in place of actual geometry for things like lights, window frames, wheel wells, etc.

koji

Picked it up yesterday, sheez the menu/UI is bad. Driving is good though, guess that's what counts.

GT always had crappy UI and menus but this is such a clusterfuck of loading screens and buttons.

SolidusDave said:
is that the Asian (HK etc.) version?

Because it says in the manual that you can't trade cards with people playing this version. I guess that's because there is no museum for whatever reason.

That sucks, I guess there's no chance my save data will be compatible with american version of the game should I ever think of buying a new gt 5 disc.

I'm curious why they remove it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom