• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
-viper- said:
Lamborghini Gallardo because you'll need it for an event.

And also because it's beautiful!!!

Kittonwy said:
No thanks, I don't want having no shadows or pre-baked shit.
Indifferent2.gif

Pre-baked is not bad at all, especially in a fast racing game. They should use them where they can to save performance, like RAGE does.

elseanio

I'm Level 14, and the front of my Nissan GT-R looked a bit wonkey after I crashed. Would this reset at level 14? Would it not reset at later levels?

I took a look at the Auto shop, and its 80k to restore!!

brentech

abuC said:
Am I the only person that mutes my TV before entering the tuning page? I hate that music, and it never changes.....
Shits so annoying how it leaves all BGM soundtracks and go to a certain track. Completely baffles me. Will probably end up doing that soon.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
elseanio said:
I'm Level 14, and the front of my Nissan GT-R looked a bit wonkey after I crashed. Would this reset at level 14? Would it not reset at later levels?

Nope. Cough up the 80K to restore or dealwithit.gif

Van Damme is not undefeated anymore...

:(

Stupid classic japanese race. I beat them by 20 seconds with my Honda 1300 Coupe and he still couldn´t do it.

elseanio said:

My cars are going to start looking really bad really soon. :|

Anyway, game is really unbalanced in Begginer and Amateur A-Spec (didn't unlock other series). I bough a Nissan Fairlady Z34, tuned it to 400HP with weight reduction among other things and I am currently destroying competition with +20s wins (even though flipping out quite a few times).

torontoml

Still waiting for gamestop to get my copy in, don't think they are getting anymore CE's in. Called them today and they told me they would give me one of the CE's the people haven't picked up yet if they don't pick theirs up by tomorrow. I really hope someone just doesn't get the message or something.

Morris

Disco Devil
TheSeks said:
SMH for the Fiat 500 on Daytona. It became a two horse race between Morro and myself.

No one besides Crush, Morrow, and myself were racing. WTF. :/

Wut, you didn't saw all the peeps that joined? There were like 7 gaffers in the room when you left...

Either way, GGs, my first online session was awesome, this game is so fun even tho I bloody suck.

http://www.gtplanet.net/yamauchi-on-gt5s-mechanical-damage-updates-more/

-Yamauchi appears to consider the possibility of removing the in-game HUD (heads-up-display features) at some point in the future.

-Mechanical damage options will be implemented in a new update for GT5 coming “early December”.

-Yamauchi wanted to implement a “free roam” gameplay mode in GT5, where players could drive around, respecting speed limits and obeying traffic laws, and even exit the car to walk around and explore the environment on foot.

-The YouTube replay upload feature had to be pulled from the final version of the game because it took a very long time to render and it consumed too much memory. Yamauchi is still considering it, however.

HappyBirthdayBlackKid.gif

TheSeks

Morro! said:
Wut, you didn't saw all the peeps that joined? There were like 7 gaffers in the room when you left...

I saw them, but they weren't in the race. :/

TheSeks

CrushDance said:
GG's guys :D Except for Sek and his gameshark. Fiat 500 for life.

You unrestricted the race. I choose a high powered but manageable 500 or so HP car. U MAD because I was styling on you because I did that track in an attempt to reach 250 MPH on it (which I failed at. SMH at Arcade Bugatti not going fast enough).

-Yamauchi appears to consider the possibility of removing the in-game HUD (heads-up-display features) at some point in the future.

He should consider unlocking the goddamn Gamesave. :|

Conceited said:
Hope they get at least some kind of free roam mode in, that would be awesome.

They'd need a section of the city completely rendered and not just a specific race line. I'm not sure if they did that. The walking stuff can't happen though, for very obvious reasons.

KennyLinder said:
BTW, does anyone know what "Create Thumbnail" does in the Garage? If you "right-click" (Triangle) on a car you get a neat drop down menu. One option is Create Thumbnail, but it doesn't seem to do anything! Any ideas?

If a car gift fails, your car will disappear from your garage. Quit GT5 and reload it. Your car is back in your garage but without a thumbnail pic. That regenerates it. Only time I have needed to use it.

Dibbz

Niks said:
Is there qualifying in online events?
You can set qualifying in online modes. Basically set the grid order to fastest first and get everyone to do a free run on the track. The grid will be ordered from fastest to slowest lap times, ala qualifying. There are no time limits or anything though so the host can start the race whenever he wants.

TheSeks said:
You unrestricted the race. I choose a high powered but manageable 500 or so HP car. U MAD because I was styling on you because I did that track in an attempt to reach 250 MPH on it (which I failed at. SMH at Arcade Bugatti not going fast enough).

He should consider unlocking the goddamn Gamesave. :|
I MAD alright. :lol And yeah, save needs unlock badly.

drifter444 said:
-Yamauchi wanted to implement a “free roam” gameplay mode in GT5, where players could drive around, respecting speed limits and obeying traffic laws, and even exit the car to walk around and explore the environment on foot.
I came.

SolidSnakex said:
They'd need a section of the city completely rendered and not just a specific race line. I'm not sure if they did that. The walking stuff can't happen though, for very obvious reasons.
I want to walk around as Zombie Jeff Gordon for a day. =/

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
gutterboy44 said:
If a car gift fails, your car will disappear from your garage. Quit GT5 and reload it. Your car is back in your garage but without a thumbnail pic. That regenerates it. Only time I have needed to use it.
That gave me hope as I lost my Italia. I just tried it and it didn't show up again. Curse you for opening that wound!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I GOT IT!!
I GOT THE GOD DAMN GT5 !! I I ... sniff * sob sob sob * sniff
Sorry im too emotional right now.

Updating RITE NAO!

Also : WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK!

bandresen said:
That gave me hope as I lost my Italia. I just tried it and it didn't show up again. Curse you for opening that wound!

Sorry mate :( My gift failed last night and it was gone but after a full exit and reload it was back in the garage. They need to fix this shit asap.

UFRA

Fersis said:
I GOT IT!!
I GOT THE GOD DAMN GT5 !! I I ... sniff * sob sob sob * sniff
Sorry im too emotional right now.

Updating RITE NAO!

Also : WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK!

Congrats!

I've been wondering when you'd get your copy. Practically everyone on my friends list that is online usually plays GT5. You were usually the combo breaker. :p

JRW said:
Look what showed up in the used car inventory :lol
(sorry for crappy pics):
Chaparral_2J.JPG
Here's some neat info about the 2J. It's pretty damn awesome considering what they were accomplishing with its design.

from wikipedia said:
The most unusual Chaparral was the 2J. In addition to a powerful 700 hp engine, and a three-speed semi automatic transmission, the back of the 2J housed two 17-inch fans driven by a single 45 hp snowmobile engine. The Can Am Series had no engine size limit, so the snowmobile engine wasn't affected by an engine displacement maximum. The purpose of the fans was to 'suck' air from under the car to provide downforce. This gave the car tremendous gripping power and enabled greater maneuverability at all speeds, which cannot be achieved by simpler aerodynamic devices such as diffusers and wings. Since it created the same levels of low pressure under the car at all speeds, down-force did not decrease at lower speeds. With other aerodynamic devices, down-force decreases as the car slows down or achieves too much of a slip angle, both of which were not problems for the 'sucker car'. It also had ground effect Lexan-plastic skirts to keep air from leaking in, a technology that would appear in Formula One several years later.

The 2J competed in the CanAm series and often qualified at least 2 seconds quicker than the next fastest car, but was not a success because it was plagued with mechanical problems. It ran for only one racing season in 1970 after which it was outlawed by the SCCA (even though it was approved by the SCCA prior to the car's first race). The SCCA succumbed to pressure from other teams, McLaren in particular, who argued that the fans constituted 'movable aerodynamic devices' which were outlawed by the international sanctioning body FIA (which was first applied against the 2E's adjustable-wing). There were also complaints from other drivers saying that whenever they drove behind it the fans would throw stones at their cars. McLaren argued that if the 2J was not outlawed, it would likely kill the CanAm series by totally dominating it - ironically, something McLaren had been doing for years[3]. A similar suction fan was used in Formula 1 eight years later for the 1978 Swedish Grand Prix, by the Brabham BT46B but was banned soon after.

The 2J was basically a precursor to a lot of the aerodynamic technology they use in F1 and other racing bodies today. :D

Omiee

SolidSnakex said:
I can't see anyone giving those cars away after one just sold for around $100 on eBay.

realy..? woow ok nvm than i thought they were easy to get,
anyway why cant i use my jaguar racing car from the facebook thing in expert old racing cars event.

Baby Milo

drifter444 said:
:lol Kaz is a silly ho

Huggers

Omiee said:
realy..? woow ok nvm than i thought they were easy to get,
anyway why cant i use my jaguar racing car from the facebook thing in expert old racing cars event.

How on earth did you get that Jag? I tried the facebook thing and every time I try and grudge another player it just freezes up :-(

Morris

Disco Devil
CrushDance said:
Not if I'm going uphill.
:lol :lol

I need more GT5 buddies, I have a sort of full friendlist and only like 16 peeps play GT5. Need to start deleting some people and add gaffers D:

Huggers said:
How on earth did you get that Jag? I tried the facebook thing and every time I try and grudge another player it just freezes up :-(

Do you happen to have a UK psn account? I can give you my code if you want, i'm too lazy to make a new account just for a car :c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom