• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally we air new episodes of PLAY! on mondays, this time we decided to do it a little bit earlier. Recently we went over to Japan to visit Polyphony and interview Kazunori Yamauchi, later on Sebastian Vettel tested the X1 for us and tried to break the lap record of the Nürburgring. You can watch the special at www.redbull.com/play.

a176

Banned
As to damage, I've never missed it. If you could take the greatest car damage modelling ever (Burnout Paradise maybe? I'm not really up on that stuff) and have it in GT5 I would still want to turn it off. I guess one of the things that annoys me about it is that people who are interested in damage modelling test it by hitting top speed and then flying straight off a bend (without turning) and go headlong into a wall. Or turn around and drive the wrong way around the track until hitting another car head on.. and then express disappointment at how it looks. Why would those situations even matter? Those situations are contrary to everything that this game is about and everything that I personally want to see from it...

Damage is vitally important for a game that touts itself as a 'racing simulator' for obvious reasons. But for you as the driver, it creates such an experience to demand better driving from yourself, as no driver is perfect. To not damage your car or others, as it is in real racing. If you didn't want damage, you might as well be the only car in the race. And then to add mechanical damage as a true reward your terrible driving ...

Its 2010. Such things should be standard now for a game of this caliber.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
UFRA said:
Well, I did it...I bought the CE.

But without release-day delivery I'm also keeping my standard edition pre-order on Amazon as well.

So, I'll get the standard game on launch day, and then the CE a few days later. I'll just sell the extra copy on eBay...shouldn't be too hard. ;)

I won't be home until the afternoon on the 24th, so that's why I'm going with shipping and not picking up the games in-store. I'd rather just go straight home and have it waiting for me. :D
ThatThat's how it works out for me. Unless I can get it switched. No biggy since I have Thursday and Friday off.

Looks like I was wrong about "magic" happening in the pit stops:

BcEnY.jpg

They really DO switch out the tires. No idea why the limit it to cockpit view then.

Seep said:
I suppose I can live with the ugly HUD but screen tearing in my GT game = no buy. :(

We'll miss you for sure.

Psychotext said:
So have we worked out if we have have pits like that in non NASCARs?

There's one video where you can see all the pit crews waiting in the garage, but he didn't actually go in. Also the intro shows an SLR so I think we're good.

spats

I feel like I've had to "save" my ps3 by not playing it at all before GT5 comes out so I don't get YLOD. :lol Powered it on a few times in the past few weeks and played a bit of co-op with some mates but that's about it.

Not sure if my body and senses are ready for next wednesday.

Lince

Banned
a1m said:
Yeah seems like nobody cares about it.

Sorry, I don't want to spoil the party, I love GT as much as everyone else here but to me a racing game with framerate issues (ie GT5 Prologue with more than 5 cars around yours) breaks the illusion of being there driving your dream car. Anyway, I'll just shut up and wait until TTP's seal of approval or the inevitable Eurogamer DF analysis.

Lince said:
Sorry, I don't want to spoil the party, I love GT as much as everyone else here but to me a racing game with framerate issues (ie GT5 Prologue with more than 5 cars around yours) breaks the illusion of being there driving your dream car. Anyway, I'll just shut up and wait until TTP's seal of approval or the inevitable Eurogamer DF analysis.
It's not just you... but it's a very subjective thing. I'm REALLY sensitive to tearing, so much so that if a game has a noticeable amount I can't play it. Others, obviously not so much. Same really goes for framerate. For you, dropping to 45 occasionally might ruin the game, others may not notice it at all.

Seep

Metalmurphy said:
We'll miss you for sure.

C'mon you can't be happy that after all this time there is screen tearing and ugly standard car models, for a series that used to be praised for how perfect it was.

I've owned every copy even got Prologue with cars to carry over, that game has tearing but it was said it was not final so I accepted that. But if you want to pay for sub standard goods then go ahead.

Seep said:
C'mon you can't be happy that after all this time there is screen tearing and ugly standard car models, for a series that used to be praised for how perfect it was.

I've owned every copy even got Prologue with cars to carry over, that game has tearing but it was said it was not final so I accepted that.
They don't carry over.

Seep said:
But if you want to pay for sub standard goods then go ahead.

:lol Yeah... cause everything else in the game suddenly stopped existing.

CozMick

Banned
Worrying about a game dropping to 45fps on a console is the least of my problems to be honest.

The online portion of the game being locked away however is a little nervewrecking.

How good is the net code?

How is matchmaking?

How extensive are the options in private lobbies?

How good is the quality of the voice chat?

*shakes nervously*

spats

Seep said:

I've owned every copy even got Prologue with cars to carry over, that game has tearing but it was said it was not final so I accepted that. But if you want to pay for sub standard goods then go ahead.

What a sad attitude. I feel sorry for you if you see the game like that.

Waaghals

Got the game. It is obvious from the first moment that a lot of hard work went in to this game. Haven't had enough time with it yet, just bought a used miata and driven a couple of races. My only complaint is that the standard cars did not look as good as I had imagined. They really look like something out of GT4, albeit massively improved by GT5 impressive lightning.

kitch9

Banned
Seep said:

Aaaaannnnnddddd, here come the flapping drama queens.

Seep

Metalmurphy said:
They don't carry over.
Well it doesn't matter now anyway.

Metalmurphy said:
:lol Yeah... cause everything else in the game suddenly stopped existing.
No but I just wont spend my money on something which has screen tearing, not in this day and age.

spats said:
What a sad attitude. I feel sorry for you if you see the game like that.

If you went to the pictures to see a movie and there was screen tearing would you be happy?
If you bought a new Ferrari and the engine kept misfiring would you accept it and carry on?

I don't buy games with screen tearing I find it lazy, ugly and it breaks the game for me, but let's not de-rail this thread any further I'm out.

Lince

Banned
kazuma_pt said:
I guess you don't play a lot of console games then.

well this would be my first GT with tearing (if we don't count Prologue), I guess the PAL versions of GT 3 and 4 spoiled me.

So I've pretty much discovered that I am absolutely shit with a controller when it comes to realistic racers.
I need a wheel for GT5. I think with all the work that's been put in and the long wait for this, playing on a controller will be anti-climatic.
How is the Driving Force GT? They are getting hard to find the past week due to people buying them up in prep for GT5, but I found one available.

Kaz already said the the game would have some slow down when certain things happening .
Also any body that calls GT sub standard just because it has screen tearing which we don't know how often it happens is crazy .

CozMick

Banned
jetsetfluken said:
So I've pretty much discovered that I am absolutely shit with a controller when it comes to realistic racers.
I need a wheel for GT5. I think with all the work that's been put in and the long wait for this, playing on a controller will be anti-climatic.
How is the Driving Force GT? They are getting hard to find the past week due to people buying them up in prep for GT5, but I found one available.

DFGT is amazing, I bought mine a few months ago in preparation and it's a fantastic wheel for the price (I paid £79.99)

Ashes

Banned
Seep said:
No but I just wont spend my money on something which has screen tearing, not in this day and age.
I don't buy games with screen tearing I find it lazy, ugly and it breaks the game for me, but let's not de-rail this thread any further I'm out.

I'm confused. did you or did you not buy prologue?

Regardless, your argument seems to stem out of principle, which I guess is your perogative, rather than any thing purely health or gameplay related. It doesn't bode well for your defense to be so definitive, without more thorough analysis. Oh and believe me, this is gt5 so it will have a very very very thorough analysis. Stay for the ride why don't you? it'll be fun...
oh and I don't think that was a thread derail, though who am I to judge?

jetsetfluken said:
The DFGT is a good wheel with cheap pedals. It's no G25/27, but it's still fun.

zoukka

Just picked up a DFGT and reserved my copy from a local store. I rarely buy games at these ripoff prices (60€), but now I have to make an exception.

mil6es

Just got a call from gamestation to tell me that my pre-order is in store and waiting to be purchased but I have to wait till midnight on Tuesday to get it.............complete cock teasers

a176 said:
Damage is vitally important for a game that touts itself as a 'racing simulator' for obvious reasons. But for you as the driver, it creates such an experience to demand better driving from yourself, as no driver is perfect. To not damage your car or others, as it is in real racing. If you didn't want damage, you might as well be the only car in the race. And then to add mechanical damage as a true reward your terrible driving ...

Its 2010. Such things should be standard now for a game of this caliber.
Fair points. Mechanical damage I have no problem with as a punishment for poor driving. On the visual side I guess displaced bumpers and rubbing wheel arches (with tyre smoke and eventual deflation) I could go for since that's the most common sort of damage you'll see in non-open-wheeler racing. If they did that though I'd like to see 'racing tape' repairs in the pits, since then I would feel like it's actually adding something to the racing. That combo would sell me on visual damage in a Gran Turismo game :D

The displaced bumpers though would have to be much better than what they have now (i.e. the 'melted' look with bizarre geometry changes and weird texture clipping). If they can't do that without adversely affecting the car modelling detail though then again I'd say throw it away. I suspect that's Kaz's approach as well (which is why we get the weird melted stuff in GT5).

KingDizzi

Banned
Well shopto sent a e-main saying my order was completed but it's not yet been dispatched, here is hoping that is done today and I get the game by Monday.

CozMick said:
Worrying about a game dropping to 45fps on a console is the least of my problems to be honest.

The online portion of the game being locked away however is a little nervewrecking.

How good is the net code?

How is matchmaking?

How extensive are the options in private lobbies?

How good is the quality of the voice chat?

*shakes nervously*

Kaz seems really happy with it so I wouldn't worry about it

What are some of the features your most excited about releasing to the public?

With GT5, we're striving to redefine the racing game that we started with GT1. The game as a whole is completely new. But online functionality has to be at the top. We've worked so hard on it and we're hoping it's a hit.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6629343/e...ate-from-creator-kazunori-yamauchi/index.html

saladine1

Seriously, what are the chances of seeing DLC for GT5?
I mean, I've been reading everywhere people asking for this and that but I do remember Kaz being asked about DLC and he pretty much hated the idea.
Does Sony have the power to influence him to provide DLC if he chooses not to?

zoukka said:
This guy used the old "smash into the rear of the kart before you and win" tactic. I thought it was already eliminated from the series D:

I do that in real world karts :D

Not on purpose I swear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom