• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCfiner

OMG. the Zonda spinout in the rain. INSANE :lol :lol

edit: that is not a Zonda. I thought I saw him looking at one before in the showroom then I stepped away for a bit

-viper- said:
What car is he using atm on SS7?

Also, why does the stream turn to shit when he puts gameplay on? It looks so blocky.

It's the new McLaren mp4-12c.

For the second question: I guess pushing a 60fps HD stream through Justin.tv is a bit much...

i-Lo

I understand the frustration of some here who are complaining that GT5 truly only has 200 cars since the rest 800 allegedly don't hold a candle to competitors' offerings and details. I am a touch disappointed as well. However, the standard cars are not as bad as some are making out to be but personal preference is a different matter and the fact that I use the bumper cam frees me from having any bias.

The thing is GT5 is doing so many more things than the competition that it starts to make sense why it's only 200 at the moment (DLCs are inevitable). Nascar, WRC, track editor and a feature filled online mode (if it works) which elevates the game further.

I really don't think 200 is a small number and it shouldn't be a major detriment in light of all the new things the game now brings to the table.

f0rk

Is it possible to play that course in the day with clear weather? Every video I've seen of it has the same conditions.

-viper-

Banned
f0rk said:
Is it possible to play that course in the day with clear weather? Every video I've seen of it has the same conditions.
Special Stage races are always raced in night. But yes you can play it without rain.

LCfiner

I don’t know if I can handle that course in the rain at night with a supercar. so intense. I might enjoy it more in B-Spec mode where I can just ogle the shiny

i-Lo

G Rom said:
We upload a 4Mbps (360p/60fps) stream so if you have a slower connexion that's totally normal that it stutters...

Yea that just happened to me and i had to switch to slower one. My ADSL is being a bitch today with noise and my speed is down. I have to say, watching it after "smooth" option made it look really bad.

Y2Kev said:
*smoking cigarette*

was that good for you too

8F6pc.jpg

Has anyones order from Amazon UK dispatched yet? Mine is still sitting there simply saying "Not yet dispatched" with no estimated dispatch date, just a delivery estimate of the 24th. I thought they would be at least processing them by now..

dkeane

Watching that stream just sold me on the game. WOW.
I was only waffling on a purchase because the game seems overwhelming and I don't have much time for games anymore.
Guess I won't be seeing much of my family next Thursday :)

metareferential said:
Whatever that is, it's ugly.

Mostly because everything else is insane.

Unfortunately PD can't go around the laws of physics. We'll have to wait for the PS4 for that to get fixed. Or just remove that smoke completely.

Angst

Salacious Crumb said:
No one knows about the adjustable steering lock, or am I the only one who cares?
I don't think anybody has reported on that. Amar might know.

But if I were you I'd prepare to be disappointed... Although I think GT5 adjusts the "steering lock" automatically depending on your speed.

i-Lo

metareferential said:
Whatever that is, it's ugly.

Mostly because everything else is insane.

Do u mean the aliasing? If so then indeed it does look ugly but it's all the games that have particle effects like this show similar tendencies. The next gen consoles should be able to easily override this issue with greater memory capacity and faster processors.

At least for now, the good news is that it'll be hardly noticeable while actually playing the game.

dalin80

Banned
swordfishtrombones said:
It's the new McLaren mp4-12c.

For the second question: I guess pushing a 60fps HD stream through Justin.tv is a bit much...

I wonder what power figures PD are using as as far as iam aware mclaren have yet to release and official stats.

dkeane

Anyone have a link to the thread explaining how to change out your Playstation Hard drive?
I need more space before next week!

Metalmurphy said:
Unfortunately PD can't go around the laws of physics. We'll have to wait for the PS4 for that to get fixed. Or just remove that smoke completely.

Oh, I see.

Well, if that is the case, let's keep the smoke.

I thought it was more of an imperfection rather than a computational limit, so to say.

i-Lo said:
Do u mean the aliasing? If so then indeed it does look ugly but it's all the games that have particle effects like this show similar tendencies. The next gen consoles should be able to easily override this issue with greater memory capacity and faster processors.

At least for now, the good news is that it'll be hardly noticeable while actually playing the game.

Yes, the one caused by the smoke effect.

But I'm being told that it's a give or take situation, so I'll gladly close an eye and use the other one to stare in awe. :lol

sw1tch

MrPliskin said:
It won't work for head tracking? Is there an option anywhere to set it up?
Yes there is, I think i have the good setting, i can see my face getting tracked but it doesn't work when i'm in race with the internal view, anyone tried it yet and can help me? :(

i-Lo

metareferential said:
Yes, the one caused by the smoke effect.

But I'm being told that it's a give or take situation, so I'll gladly close an eye and use the other one to stare in awe. :lol

Apparently from what I have heard (I could be wrong) it's because how the alpha texturing works. It's the first texture fill around the particles on polygons its in contact with and hence is generally very low resolution.

It's due to technical limitations at the moment and as aforementioned should be mitigated by a great margin with next gen consoles.

Insertia

The AI is very smart and aggressive when need be. Amar might be right about GT5 having the best AI yet in a racing game. Never seen anything like it.

i-Lo

Insertia said:
The AI is very smart and aggressive when need be. Amar might be right about GT5 having the best AI yet in a racing game. Never seen anything like it.

If true, it's a milestone achievement for GT given their history including GT5:p.

i-Lo said:
I understand the frustration of some here who are complaining that GT5 truly only has 200 cars since the rest 800 allegedly don't hold a candle to competitors' offerings and details. I am a touch disappointed as well. However, the standard cars are not as bad as some are making out to be but personal preference is a different matter and the fact that I use the bumper cam frees me from having any bias.

The thing is GT5 is doing so many more things than the competition that it starts to make sense why it's only 200 at the moment (DLCs are inevitable). Nascar, WRC, track editor and a feature filled online mode (if it works) which elevates the game further.

I really don't think 200 is a small number and it shouldn't be a major detriment in light of all the new things the game now brings to the table.

Not to mention the 200 cars are far beyond what everyone else is doing. Still, it seems like GT5 is GT6:prologue

vpance

metareferential said:
That smoke-glitch-thing is unbearable.

Everything else is just unbelievable.

They have to render the particles in low res for better performance, but there's actually a way to fix those jaggies by rendering only those particles on the edge in higher resolution. Some interesting details in this dev paper

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch23.html

23fig05.jpg

I wonder if they weren't even able to do that fix mentioned in 23.6 because of performance issues. It seems like a nice compromise between doing it completely low res versus only some parts of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom