• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Just tried the second beginner NASCAR challenge (the one with the draft/overtake) as my second "race" with all assists off and beat it my second try.

Never thought force feedback (via Driving Force GT) would have such an affect on my performance, but it's been a dramatic improvement.

Edit: To clarify, I must have tried that challenge 20+ times and only could muster a Silver.

Grayman

Psychotext said:
I don't know which model it is, but the Lambo you use in the grand tour is close to undrivable on the track they put it on. Bizarre choice.
that event is like playing ridge racer

Stoffinator

weekend_warrior said:
The recommended path is to use the Furai for the A-spec Like the Wind, which nets you the Minolta, which you use for the B-spec Like the Wind, which nets you the Toyota 7, which you use for the Expert Historic Cup.

I tried the Toyota 7 in B Spec(for the Historic Cup) and all he can get is 8 place.

EllisD

So with the cars they are releasing in Japan, are North American users going to be able to create Japanese PSN accounts to get in on that, or is it assumed we'll eventually get the cars in North America as well?

brotkasten said:
That next update, is it the 'early December' update? :lol

We already got the early December update. This could be the late December.

gutterboy44 said:
The way I read that is that we will be able to restart our replays (can't we do this already?) but not rewind and slow mo. So in other words, we will never be able to FF and RWD our replays. Brilliant
Previous GTs allowed us to FF, but not RWD. Must be a memory issue. It'll probably work the same here.

Metalmurphy said:
We already got the early December update. This could be the late December.
We did?

e: Fuck, we did. The patch for mechanical damage. Yeah, how could I forget this. It truly changed so many things.

Dementia

The ability for b-spec drivers to overtake in this game is an absolute fucking tragedy. It's like, if they veer too far from the racing line they get sudden anxiety attacks and start doing all sorts of stupid squirmy maneuvers.

Here's a reenactment of my driver's latest failure.
Me: Alright Winkler, you're coming up to a tight corner followed by a long straighty, so I want you to pace up and accelerate hard on the exit.
G.Winks: ... huh? Oh, sorry coach, my left foot is asleep, l must be riding the brakes.
Me: Don't worry about it, that's why I put you in a car with 200hp more than any other racer. Alright, you're gaining on the next car, now overtake him!
G.Winks: Sure thing!
Me: What? What are you braking for?! You gotta go around the other car when you're doing an overtake!
G.Winks: Whoops! I was catching up to him real fast and didn't know what to do. But don't worry, I got it this time coach.
Me: Okay, well you're running out of straight, so you gotta be quick, now give it the beans!
G.Winks: Here I go! Wait... pass on the left or right side? LEFT OR RIGHT?! AHHH!
Me: ...
G.Winks: Sorry coach, I didn't know whether to pass on the left or right and started to panic, so I figured I'd just slow down again.
Me: I...I don't even...

Stoffinator said:
I tried the Toyota 7 in B Spec(for the Historic Cup) and all he can get is 8 place.

That's on you and your B-spec driver because the Toyota 7 (when fully upgraded) is easily good enough to win the Historic Cup races with proper management.

Dementia said:
The ability for b-spec drivers to overtake in this game is an absolute fucking tragedy. It's like, if they veer too far from the racing line they get sudden anxiety attacks and start doing all sorts of stupid squirmy maneuvers.

Here's a reenactment of my driver's latest failure.
Me: Alright Winkler, you're coming up to a tight corner followed by a long straighty, so I want you to pace up and accelerate hard on the exit.
G.Winks: ... huh? Oh, sorry coach, my left foot is asleep, l must be riding the brakes.
Me: Don't worry about it, that's why I put you in a car with 200hp more than any other racer. Alright, you're gaining on the next car, now overtake him!
G.Winks: Sure thing!
Me: What? What are you braking for?! You gotta go around the other car when you're doing an overtake!
G.Winks: Whoops! I was catching up to him real fast and didn't know what to do. But don't worry, I got it this time coach.
Me: Okay, well you're running out of straight, so you gotta be quick, now give it the beans!
G.Winks: Here I go! Wait... pass on the left or right side? LEFT OR RIGHT?! AHHH!
Me: ...
G.Winks: Sorry coach, I didn't know whether to pass on the left or right and started to panic, so I figured I'd just slow down again.
Me: I...I don't even...

Most races should not be this difficult if you know what you're doing. I've never had a problem with a B-spec race when I had the ability to just give him a car with 200+ hp over the field. You need to be aggressive early, when the cars are close, patient on the curves, and use the extra HP on the straights to overtake.

expy

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
That's on you and your B-spec driver because the Toyota 7 (when fully upgraded) is easily good enough to win the Historic Cup races with proper management.

Most races should not be this difficult if you know what you're doing. I've never had a problem with a B-spec race when I had the ability to just give him a car with 200+ hp over the field. You need to be aggressive early, when the cars are close, patient on the curves, and use the extra HP on the straights to overtake.
Cote d'Azur is a pain in the ass in Historic B-Spec.

UFRA

Has anyone messed around with the image quality settings?

I have a 1080p Sony Bravia XBR3 and I run GT5 in 1080p because I refuse to go into the XMB and disable 1080p/i to force 720p just for this one game.

So I played around with Normal, Flicker Reduction, and Sharpen. I went back and forth a ton of times, and I swear Sharpen looks a BIT better than Normal, but I can't tell for sure. (I'm using the same car/view/race event to test the looks each time)

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Also, I'm trying the game out right now forcing it to 720p just for kicks to see if there really is a godly difference like people say. Regardless of how it looks I won't keep it like this though. :p

Stoffinator

expy said:
Cote d'Azur is a pain in the ass in Historic B-Spec.

That's the one he won't win. Other was no problem. Its upgrades as much as it will go and he just won't pass anyone. So he always stays on 8th. Doesn't matter which of my three drivers I choose.

My wife bought GT5 for me today as a surprise gift,
first impresions are rather possitive, I expected hell or worst going by the internet drama.

A couple of questions though:

- Is dashboard view always on the right side of the car? It kinda throws me off.
- Is there any way to customise the units used? I changed miles to kilometers, but things like horse power and stuff where do I find those?
- If I can't change them, could some-one explain which specs to look out for when shopping for a new car?

I'm not a very big racing fanatic, but I do enjoy some GT from time to time...

expy

Banned
Animation-Imp said:
- Is dashboard view always on the right side of the car? It kinda throws me off.
- Is there any way to customise the units used? I changed miles to kilometers, but things like horse power and stuff where do I find those?
- If I can't change them, could some-one explain which specs to look out for when shopping for a new car?
1. Depends on the car
2. Nope, Km/Miles is the only one.
3. Horsepower/Weight/Sexiness

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Psychotext said:
I don't think I even have a horn mapped to my controller any more. I'd rather the assist dial. ;)
Same. Although that's slightly more annoying when it pops up the quick adjust dial during a hard corner (I tend to click in the left stick)

UFRA

Hmm, ok well unless I did something wrong, 720p looks awful compared to 1080p.

I disabled 1080i/p in the XMB. Checked video options in GT5 and it indeed said 1280x720. Adjusted the screen to 95% to fit the borders of my TV.

Yuck. Text looked jagged, menus were ugly, the cars had more jaggies than before. Tried all image settings of Normal, Flicker Reduction, and Sharpen. All equally bad.

Am I doing something wrong? I remember people saying "720p is the way to play GT5, 4xMSAA yadda yadda yadda" and all this, but it's completely fugly. Maybe it's my TV? It was a top-notch TV back in 2007, it has HDMI 1.3 but not 1.4. Is that possibly a deal breaker?

Either way, I'll be keeping this puppy in 1080p. :p

Jonsoncao

Banned
Jonsoncao said:
Anyone done the Redbull X1 challenge with DS3?
I ve been struggling on this for two days, if it is achievable, any tips?
my best lap time on Nurburgring GP was 1:08:XX
it seems no one answered my question a dozen pages back, would appreciate any tips

mrklaw said:
Same. Although that's slightly more annoying when it pops up the quick adjust dial during a hard corner (I tend to click in the left stick)
Ha, yeah, I do exactly that.

Jonsoncao said:
it seems no one answered my question a dozen pages back, would appreciate any tips
If you're any older than 20, you'll need to hire a teenager to do it for you. :lol

(Seriously, I've managed a bronze on one of the laps, and I'm not even going to try the others)

Animation-Imp said:
first impresions are rather possitive, I expected hell or worst going by the internet drama.

NEVER go by the internet drama! Hell, when researching wheels I almost didn't want to get one because of all the threads/articles I've come across stating horrible things about them up to and including "it's too much like real driving" ... are you serious?!

My enjoyment with GT5 has been overall extremely positive. I am saddened by a few things but fuck it, this game is awesome.

darkwing

Animation-Imp said:

A couple of questions though:

I'm not a very big racing fanatic, but I do enjoy some GT from time to time...

-it depends on the car, if its from Japan = right hand etc...
-hmm i don't think you can customize HP into something else unless i'm mistaken, HP is always HP, however HP is not everything, there is the weight too

don't buy too much at the beginning the Civic Honda EK for 15,000 from the dealer can last you a long time

UFRA said:
Hmm, ok well unless I did something wrong, 720p looks awful compared to 1080p.

I disabled 1080i/p in the XMB. Checked video options in GT5 and it indeed said 1280x720. Adjusted the screen to 95% to fit the borders of my TV.

Yuck. Text looked jagged, menus were ugly, the cars had more jaggies than before. Tried all image settings of Normal, Flicker Reduction, and Sharpen. All equally bad.

Am I doing something wrong? I remember people saying "720p is the way to play GT5, 4xMSAA yadda yadda yadda" and all this, but it's completely fugly. Maybe it's my TV? It was a top-notch TV back in 2007, it has HDMI 1.3 but not 1.4. Is that possibly a deal breaker?

Either way, I'll be keeping this puppy in 1080p. :p

1. 720p looks shite on a 1080p TV because PS3 has no dedicated scaler chip so your TV will be doing the work, 1080p with 2x QAA looks a lot smoother because higher resolutions are automatically less jaggy and QAA is more effective at edge smoothing than MSAA.

2. I also find that the 'sharpen' option looks better but I'm not sure why.

UFRA

LabouredSubterfuge said:
1. 720p looks shite on a 1080p TV because PS3 has no dedicated scaler chip so your TV will be doing the work, 1080p with 2x QAA looks a lot smoother because higher resolutions are automatically less jaggy and QAA is more effective at edge smoothing than MSAA.

2. I also find that the 'sharpen' option looks better but I'm not sure why.

Thanks for the info. Glad it's not just me that thinks sharpen is a bit better lol. It's not a ton better, but it's just this slight difference I can't explain.

dwebo

It's supposedly MSAA instead of QAA but I don't think that was ever verified.

expy said:
2. Nope, Km/Miles is the only one.
What's odd is I'm almost certain you could adjust more units in Prologue. Or at least the power I remember being able to change from hp to bhp (in addition to m/km). Kinda weird that they consciously removed it for GT5.

Travado

UFRA said:
Has anyone messed around with the image quality settings?

I have a 1080p Sony Bravia XBR3 and I run GT5 in 1080p because I refuse to go into the XMB and disable 1080p/i to force 720p just for this one game.

So I played around with Normal, Flicker Reduction, and Sharpen. I went back and forth a ton of times, and I swear Sharpen looks a BIT better than Normal, but I can't tell for sure. (I'm using the same car/view/race event to test the looks each time)

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Also, I'm trying the game out right now forcing it to 720p just for kicks to see if there really is a godly difference like people say. Regardless of how it looks I won't keep it like this though. :p

I tested the 720p mode in my old Bravia: the fonts and menus looks horrible compared to 1080p, and the "sharpen" effect was just a placebo effect. In game mode I noticed better anti-aliasing in a few points of the tracks, but nothing significant.

Returned to superior 1080p mode.

plainr_

UFRA said:
Thanks for the info. Glad it's not just me that thinks sharpen is a bit better lol. It's not a ton better, but it's just this slight difference I can't explain.

Quaz51 @ beyond3d recommends staying on 1080p with "sharpen" on. It produces a better quality image. Not sure how much though. I did notice an improvement on my TV but I won't go back and revert to default to compare. :p

brentech

Ran B-Spec for quite a while today. Finished 2 cup series and got B-Spec to level 19. For the particular series than I ran, I was able to use definitively overpowered cars. So after telling it to go, I just booted my x360 and played games of Fifa11.

Won every race, but pretty annoying that it comes to that level of grindy-ness. If they wan't to implement B-Spec as a progression part of the game, it should probably be exciting and a "need to monitor" feeling -- which would require the events to be much shorter. Just makes it feel like GTAnywhere is how BSpec will always be ran when available.
Bearing it actually works at the level we assume it will.

dwebo

brentech said:
Ran B-Spec for quite a while today. Finished 2 cup series and got B-Spec to level 19. For the particular series than I ran, I was able to use definitively overpowered cars. So after telling it to go, I just booted my x360 and played games of Fifa11.

Won every race, but pretty annoying that it comes to that level of grindy-ness. If they wan't to implement B-Spec as a progression part of the game, it should probably be exciting and a "need to monitor" feeling -- which would require the events to be much shorter. Just makes it feel like GTAnywhere is how BSpec will always be ran when available.
Bearing it actually works at the level we assume it will.
They would need to radically improve the AI for b-spec to be an interesting mode to play. Otherwise, watching your terrible driver (even at level 30+ they can't overtake competently) will never be fun regardless of event length.

jockamo said:
Quaz51 @ beyond3d recommends staying on 1080p with "sharpen" on. It produces a better quality image. Not sure how much though. I did notice an improvement on my TV but I won't go back and revert to default to compare. :p
Where is this specific post talking about GT5? All I can find via google is some stuff about the TT demo. I tried sharpen for awhile, and really couldn't notice much difference at all, so now I just keep it on normal. Shadow creep along fences is much, much more distracting than slight AA differences. Give me a menu option to fix that, please.

So now that Kaz has said they'll be converting certain "classic" standard cars to premium, which are the classic cars that we think will get the treatment?

Some that I'd like to see:

Bugatti Veyron
Lamborghini Countach
Jaguar E-Type
VW Beetle
Mini (original)
Ford GT40
BMW M3 GTR Race Car
Group C cars
Group B cars

Also in terms of series where there are no possible Premium cars that will ever qualify for entry, is it just the old Japanese ones (can't remember which years), the Lupo cup, and the Formula GT one? It would be nice to have at least one Premium car option for every single race.

brentech

dwebo said:
They would need to radically improve the AI for b-spec to be an interesting mode to play. Otherwise, watching your terrible driver (even at level 30+ they can't overtake competently) will never be fun regardless of event length.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that simply shortening the length of each event would suddenly make it exciting. They need to change quite a bit. As you said, AI would would improved, but they'd also have to create more commands for you to provide as well.

Probably multiple drivers at once would be nice as well, so you could use some team driving tactics.

Ok... Special Events > Grand Tour > Eiger...

How? I can see exactly where I'm losing time, but I can't fix it. I've messed a ton with the assists and none of it really seems to help. I got my best time (1:18:300) with ABS:1, TCS:1 and everything else off... but that's still 1.3 seconds off. I just can't put any power down without the back wheels going apeshit, and if I use more TC the car wont go around the corners properly, and doesn't really get the power down much better.

Helpz! (Playing on a pad)

Psychotext said:
Ok... Special Events > Grand Tour > Eiger...

How? I can see exactly where I'm losing time, but I can't fix it. I've messed a ton with the assists and none of it really seems to help. I got my best time (1:18:300) with ABS:1, TCS:1 and everything else off... but that's still 1.3 seconds off. I just can't put any power down without the back wheels going apeshit, and if I use more TC the car wont go around the corners properly, and doesn't really get the power down much better.

Helpz! (Playing on a pad)
I haven't tried them but UFRA posted these setting earlier:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24901078&postcount=2294

JRW

Was anyone able to beat the Expert / Historic Racing cup using a 62 Buick Special? It has plenty of power but I cant get the car to handle in corners at all... I have every upgrade (800+ HP) and using Soft racing tires, any tips? or do I just need to buy another car?

endlessflood said:
I haven't tried them but UFRA posted these setting earlier:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24901078&postcount=2294
Similar... though I was using a little less brake balance as I seemed to be locking up too quickly. Ho-hum. Not sure I want to spent 2 hours on it. :(

JRW said:
Was anyone able to beat the Expert / Historic Racing cup using a 62 Buick Special? It has plenty of power but I cant get the car to handle in corners at all... I have every upgrade (800+ HP) and using Soft racing tires, any tips? or do I just need to buy another car?
I suggest waiting until you get the Toyota Race Car... you'll have to look up which race give you it though.

JRW

Psychotext said:
I suggest waiting until you get the Toyota Race Car... you'll have to look up which race give you it though.

according to google you get it in Extreme / Super GT / B-spec ..I havent even clicked on B-Spec since I started playing GT5 lol.

Any alternatives?

We are considered the whiners, but in two years we will still be playing the game and most will already have moved on to the next title. :)

Everything i bitch about is because there´s the possibility of a patch. I feel like i will enjoy the game 100x more once i finish the grinding on the carrear mode.

I´m running b-spec for money and it´s funny to see the AI driving on slick tires in th start of rainy races.

EVERYTIME!:lol :lol :lol

If you´re in a championship that has both dry and wet races, the AI will always enter the rainy races with slick tires. It´s like they haven´t run the game through QA. I bet it will be fixed on a patch.

seattle6418 said:
If you´re in a championship that has both dry and wet races, the AI will always enter the rainy races with slick tires. It´s like they haven´t run the game through QA. I bet it will be fixed on a patch.
I don't know if you saw my post yesterday, but it works the other way too. If they finish a race on wet tires, they'll start the next one on wet tires, even if it's a dry race.

Might not happen all the time, but I've seen it happen twice now.

expy

Banned
They need to adjust some of the b-spec races. Some are just too "random" to be called "playable". It's more like, pressing commands and 'hoping' that the driver AI takes them for what they are, regardless of driver level.

Son of a bitch.

• Fuck this GT tradition of putting you at the fucking end of the starting grid without even a qualifying lap or something.
  • Fuck the AI driver on the first place who drives perfectly and gets away with a troll face while the rest of the assholes bump into me, slowing me down.
  • And FUCK the fact that it is only me who is sent spinning with the slightest touch while the other racers keep their driving lines to fucking perfection.
I'm on the last karting special event, at the mini ring. I suck. And I'm fucking pissed. :mad:

Dead Man

dwebo said:
It's supposedly MSAA instead of QAA but I don't think that was ever verified.

What's odd is I'm almost certain you could adjust more units in Prologue. Or at least the power I remember being able to change from hp to bhp (in addition to m/km). Kinda weird that they consciously removed it for GT5.
You could change all the units between Metric, Imp, and whatever weirdness Japan uses in 4, even though it was a bit borked in its implementation. Another good feature gone.

Psychotext said:
I don't know if you saw my post yesterday, but it works the other way too. If they finish a race on wet tires, they'll start the next one on wet tires, even if it's a dry race.

Might not happen all the time, but I've seen it happen twice now.
Yeah, another pretty big mistake. I'm just feeling negative again today, sorry. :D

Top Bottom