• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

paskowitz

more cars means more resources, keep that in mind

See my post below.

Based on the computing power leap from the PS3 to the PS4 it is not too much to expect. GT4 had 8. GT5 has 16. GT6 having 32 would probably be a stretch but I think an 8 car increase is not unreasonable. Especially if they can use some good LOD scaling. If you had 24 cars on screen the 20-24th cars would be pretty far away and would not have to be rendered at max detail.

I would like to see a system that allows for a theoretically high number in a race you just cannot see them all at once on screen. Having 100+ Nurb 24hr race would be epic. This would not work for online (100+ connections... PD... lol). But for SP it would still be great. Cars 1-24 are rendered at all times but cars 25-100+ are invisible ghosts during gameplay. As you move within the track, the cars that are ghosts are determined by your relative position to them. So you go from position 25/100 to 24/100, the rendered cars change to the 13 cars positionally in front of you and the 10 cars positionally behind you. The Ai and actual data is still calculated for all the cars though.

When you go to the replay this data can be accessed. So if you want to watch an AI race that was happening 40 positions from you, you can.

See my post below.

There's really no need for invisible cars, the current low Lod cars are ridiculously simple already and look like 100 polys. GT5 seems to swap in the low lod cars at different minimum distances depending on how much there is to draw, it's hard to pinpoint exactly how it works but you can see the hard snap usually when they're quite small on the screen.
Assuming the AI was up to it you could have a huge field with only the same amount of full detail cars on screen as GT5, but you do need to reserve enough RAM for each full detailed version unless you're streaming them, but streaming cars could be a nightmare for replay cameras.
There is a chance they'll put the photo mode models on track this time, which would mean more RAM per car again, so we'll have to see.

Dead Man

IIRC GT4 was still 6 cars.

IMO PD should focus their ressources on something else than more cars

A full field of 30 cars should be the minimum they are aiming for if they want to realistically simulate serious race series. Of course, that's not what they want to do, so they should do whatever the hell they want.

Toxa

I meant 24 or 30 car might be too much for the PS4 is you want 1080p 60fps 4xAA and a tons of isane surrealistic details .

When I see GTPSP with 60fps with only 4 cars on the track

but if they can display 30 cars with state of the art graphics and insane details I'm ok with that :D

Hoplatee

I must be the only one who is not really interested in many more cars on the track. I can see why it would be fun for MP but 30 cars on track for SP would be a bit overkill I think.

Rather have other 15 cars with some decent AI on the field than 29 others that are stupid.

Not saying GT5 ai is terrible or something before that discussion pops up again, I think it is pretty good at times.

A full field of 30 cars should be the minimum they are aiming for if they want to realistically simulate serious race series. Of course, that's not what they want to do, so they should do whatever the hell they want.

What exactly gave you that idea? Many of the new things we saw in GT5 were exactly to try and simulate a race series better.

amar212

iE9JpPevxxTBM.jpg

;)

amar212

Holy shit. That's amazing, Amar.

Thanx, but really, it is not that amazing :)

They were giving it away big time on Tokyo Game Conference in 2000 and I was lucky to get it from a friend when he returned backthen. It is rare, but not such.

It is basically just a GT2-engine with some upscaled textures and reflections, nothing spectacular. Jump from GT2000 and GT3 was astonishing though.

Still, nice for having in collection, I agree ;)

Hey, I have a question again if anyone can answer it. Before I was getting an exp boost of like 30%-40%, it would show like 130% after I completed a race or whatever and now it shows nothing. Is this because I can't sign into PSN or does it work some other way? I just noticed last night I was getting it and this morning I'm not but I'm not sure what causes it either.

Hey, I have a question again if anyone can answer it. Before I was getting an exp boost of like 30%-40%, it would show like 130% after I completed a race or whatever and now it shows nothing. Is this because I can't sign into PSN or does it work some other way? I just noticed last night I was getting it and this morning I'm not but I'm not sure what causes it either.

Yes it's because you can't sign in. That boost increases every day you sign in to GT servers (up to 200%), and decreases every day you don't.

I must be the only one who is not really interested in many more cars on the track. I can see why it would be fun for MP but 30 cars on track for SP would be a bit overkill I think.

Rather have other 15 cars with some decent AI on the field than 29 others that are stupid..

It would be nice to see glimpses of random vehicles driving past along the public roads which run alongside Nurburgring and other tracks if they're looking for things to spend power on. It was cool enough in Ridge Racer 1.

dubc35

damn the latest seasonal events are now uninteresting these days with their forced driving assists :(

No joke. You would think they would at least give the option. It's not like the game just came out and there are a bunch of noobs racing the events.

Dead Man

I meant 24 or 30 car might be too much for the PS4 is you want 1080p 60fps 4xAA and a tons of isane surrealistic details .

When I see GTPSP with 60fps with only 4 cars on the track

but if they can display 30 cars with state of the art graphics and insane details I ok with that :D

Ah, fair enough.

Polyphony

I don't think this was mentioned, but there is a scheduled maintenance on Feb 19. That's one day before the big announcement on the 20th. Do you expect anything on Wednesday? ;)

Now i'm nervous. They're holding a Vita conference in a few hours. That gives them another chance to announce that GT6 PS3/Vita title that many have speculated about. Don't do this to me Sony! :/

wat?

Not a chance.. not so close to the PS4 reveal.

That's what i'm hoping for. But you've got Yoshida tweeting that there's news in there that US outlets will report on. So they're going to have some western friendly series in there unlike their previous Vita showing. But this would be such a hype deflater if they do announce another current gen GT.

amar212

No way this is current gen..
is it?

Well, that is the non-compressed state of GT5 engine for years now?

We have seen it in such quality since 2009 as far as I can remember, with the original Nissan Xanavi video that came before the same engine was used to create all those other similar videos, from Ferrari 458, Toyota FT, new NSX, etc.

So, it is this generation IMO, but without hardware boundaries.

Of course, it becomes next-gen once you unleash it on 8X more powerful hardware :)

Sony have to show something GT related on the 20th.

It's seriously a system seller for me, even though I am not as fanatical as other people on here. I picked up the Signature editon on release and also have a GT Force and Wheelstand Pro setup. The game looks and feels amazing when playing in 3D from cockpit view, cannot wait to see what Polyphony come up with on the next generation PlayStation.

Well, that is the non-compressed state of GT5 engine for years now?

We have seen it in such quality since 2009 as far as I can remember, with the original Nissan Xanavi video that came before the same engine was used to create all those other similar videos, from Ferrari 458, Toyota FT, new NSX, etc.

So, it is this generation IMO, but without hardware boundaries.

Of course, it becomes next-gen once you unleash it on 8X more powerful hardware :)

Wasn't that just a bunch of photos? The tree lined section at 0:28 just looks awful, it's like a simple tunnel with trees wrapped over it for a texture. I'm not convinced the place shown in that old clip is Ginza, but it looks like another quick photo pasted onto a simple object job, not a realistic recreation of downtown Tokyo like we recently saw a glimpse of.

Wait up, I'm going to have to watch the NSX trailer again in high quality, is there a chance that it's actually just a video clip of the real place like they did with the clouds?

Edit: Yeah sorry guys, but the Ginza scene is a goddamn video clip of the real life street, and a copy of the video is used as the reflection map ( the background only shows the bottom left quarter of the scene, while the reflection also covers the other side of the road and higher up). This is the same trick used in the sequence with moving clouds, although they had the 3D model of the rocks for the car to sit on there.
If you look at the reflection on the back of the car, you can see the 'RICOH' sign written the right way round instead of being mirrored. The RICOH sign belongs at the top of the cylindrical building. Just as it fades out I think you see a bus go past in the reflection to the right. (gif cuts off before that)
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...vhN0SAk47WEvFuUUXReVQ&cbp=12,310.26,,0,-27.32
Also the background video may be playing in the reverse direction to the reflection video, still trying to wrap my brain around that one.

Edit to show what I'm blabbering about:
pnqehHX.jpg

dubc35

I guess some videos have been posted by sony that highlight older gt games. I'm on my old ass phone so it's not easy to link to them. gtplanet has a story on the main page about it. Possibly foreshadowing GT6 tomorrow?

According to to this post on GTPlanet, Kaz said on Facebook that he is visiting Citreon and Reanult. I keep getting "This content is currently unavailable" (probably since I don't have a Facebook account) so I don't know when these posts were made.

EDIT: He also apparently said he was visiting the FIA HQ.. :O

Dead Man

Wasn't that just a bunch of photos? The tree lined section at 0:28 just looks awful, it's like a simple tunnel with trees wrapped over it for a texture. I'm not convinced the place shown in that old clip is Ginza, but it looks like another quick photo pasted onto a simple object job, not a realistic recreation of downtown Tokyo like we recently saw a glimpse of.

Wait up, I'm going to have to watch the NSX trailer again in high quality, is there a chance that it's actually just a video clip of the real place like they did with the clouds?

Edit: Yeah sorry guys, but the Ginza scene is a goddamn video clip of the real life street, and a copy of the video is used as the reflection map ( the background only shows the bottom left quarter of the scene, while the reflection also covers the other side of the road and higher up). This is the same trick used in the sequence with moving clouds, although they had the 3D model of the rocks for the car to sit on there.
If you look at the reflection on the back of the car, you can see the 'RICOH' sign written the right way round instead of being mirrored. The RICOH sign belongs at the top of the cylindrical building. Just as it fades out I think you see a bus go past in the reflection to the right. (gif cuts off before that)
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...vhN0SAk47WEvFuUUXReVQ&cbp=12,310.26,,0,-27.32
Also the background video may be playing in the reverse direction to the reflection video, still trying to wrap my brain around that one.

Edit to show what I'm blabbering about:
pnqehHX.jpg

Well that sucks.

EDIT: He also apparently said he was visiting the FIA HQ.. :O

In Jean Todt we trust :bow

GT6 to feature:

GT Sprint Series
Historic F1 Championship
World Endurance Championship
World Rally Championship
World Touring Car Championship

Then we have the full blown Isle of Man mode with all bike classes and sidecars.

Top Bottom