• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 TGS blowout; Yamauchi prepping for GT 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy in the Multiplayer.it video mentions that Kaz told him that the engine sounds will be much improved over GT4 and Prologue in the final build. Credit to hardvibes and speedfreak69 from GTplanet for the translation.

i-Lo

Solal said:
Is it me or is the framerate all over the place at 1:14?

looks like motion artefacts from the vid cam.

There so very slight screen tear here and there (which won't noticeable when you are actually concentrating on playing the game) but nothing noticeable like you mentioned.

saladine1

SolidSnakex said:
The guy in the Multiplayer.it video mentions that Kaz told him that the engine sounds will be much improved over GT4 and Prologue in the final build. Credit to hardvibes and speedfreak69 from GTplanet for the translation.
I would absolutely love for this to be the case......love....

saladine1 said:
I would absolutely love for this to be the case......love....

I do wonder if the sounds we've been hearing in the trailer are really what they have in the game. They clearly know what the cars are supposed to sound like but something gets lost in the processing it seems.

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
from gtp

hardvibes said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14iwj79wNr4

In this video Gameblog says the framerate may drop to 40fps in those extreme conditions (16 cars+dynamic weather in cockpit view+night etc..)
40 is better than 30

Hey I thought the X1 was only virtual, they say it exists and Vettel tested it!
P.S. Didn't PD design it?

lunlunqq

offshore said:
I wonder if you can change the speed of the wipers.

YEAH!!! that's a problem I just realized. The BMW's wipers are not rain sensitive!!! Not acceptable!!! Yamauchi should delay the game and fix the rain-sensing wiper problem!

cant wait for Nov.

40fps is still smooth enough, and forgiveable all things considered. I always did consider 40+ as a sort of plateau where framerate starts to look really great.

I just happy that PD did not take down the number of cars just because we might have gotten some frame drops in extreme conditions.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
but is it locked?

constant 60-40 fps drops throughout a race would be shit.

It's lock 60 fps .

KingDizzi

Banned
The only time I recall him talking about framerate drops is when he said 16 cars + rain are on screen at once so basically for really extreme situations. Besides that he did not say there would be framerate drops, I'm one of those people with trouble distinguishing 30fps from 60fps but in the videos posted by blim when it was raining was it 60fps?

offshore

I don't think the frame rate drops will bother me too much, as I'm likely just to be doing endless rallies with the course maker, so there shouldn't be too many drops there with just one car on track.

Pallaris

In some vids it looks like the game is constantly tearing. Even with one car on the screen/interior view on a straightaway. Real fuckin shame. Should have known something was up with the time trial demo which had slowdown/tearing with one car on the track. Average performance puts a big downer on the game for me. I realise 720p mode should perform better but with Kaz's admission that the game is effectively struggling to hold 60fps I'm left baffled as to why they've gone this route.

Sense of speed is looking incredible though, something I didn't think GT did well in previous games.

Firewire

Banned
KingDizzi said:
The only time I recall him talking about framerate drops is when he said 16 cars + rain are on screen at once so basically for really extreme situations. Besides that he did not say there would be framerate drops, I'm one of those people with trouble distinguishing 30fps from 60fps but in the videos posted by blim when it was raining was it 60fps?

Actually I think it was a 16 car, standing start, night and rain race would cause it to drop but not by much.

saladine1

SolidSnakex said:
I do wonder if the sounds we've been hearing in the trailer are really what they have in the game. They clearly know what the cars are supposed to sound like but something gets lost in the processing it seems.
Well, nearly all racing games from days gone by featured fantastic sounds in their trailers only to be let done by the actual gameplay sounds.
Anyway, let's wait and see..

Melfice7

cant wait for people starting blowing the fps thing out of proportion.. he said in extreme conditions for example a standing start with 16 cars on screen with rain etc

Pallaris said:
In some vids it looks like the game is constantly tearing. Even with one car on the screen/interior view on a straightaway. Real fuckin shame. Should have known something was up with the time trial demo which had slowdown/tearing with one car on the track. Average performance puts a big downer on the game for me. I realise 720p mode should perform better but with Kaz's admission that the game is effectively struggling to hold 60fps I'm left baffled as to why they've gone this route.

Sense of speed is looking incredible though, something I didn't think GT did well in previous games.

Kaz says the game is going to have frame drops in extreme conditions ( 16 cars standing start plus weather )and now your saying it struggling to hold 60fps.

gundamkyoukai said:
It's lock 60 fps .

yeah for dry and daylight conditions but for wet, night and a pack of cars? if it fluctuates between 60-40fps that would be shit on f1 2009 levels. the framerate in that game goes from 60-30 fps when it pleases.

Firewire

Banned
Where is this 40fps number coming from? Kaz mentioned a slight drop in frames under extreme conditions, he never said anything about it dropping to 40fps.

So can anyone figure out what car this is

zvsi1k.jpg

Jay brought it up on GTplanet but no one can figure out what it is.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
yeah for dry and daylight conditions but for wet, night and a pack of cars? if it fluctuates between 60-40fps that would be shit on f1 2009 levels. the framerate in that game goes from 60-30 fps when it pleases.

He did not say how much it would drop only that in would in extreme conditions.
The eg he gave was standing start with 16 cars , with rain and cars splashing water on you at the same time.

i-Lo

SolidSnakex said:
So can anyone figure out what car this is

http://i55.tinypic.com/zvsi1k.jpg

Jay brought it up on GTplanet but no one can figure out what it is.

To find out what class the vehicle is from, it is required to know what other cars are on the track. Also, the steering is on the right hand side. Unless GT gives the option to switch steering sides for all cars before racing, the car shown here would a part of the relative minority (most likely UK based company).

KingDizzi

Banned
Going back a couple months when Yoshida talked about new features every single one of them has been announced but one.......stunt arenas. Wonder what happened there ie will PD leave it as a little surprise when the game releases or has it simply been cut from the game. It was/is obviously part of the game seeing how spot on Yoshida was with all the other details.

Yeah it's the Espirit that we've seen in older demos. This is just the first time that it was made playable. Makes me wonder if the McLaren F1 is also playable since it's been shown in different builds but never in playable form.

Senua

Gold Member
SolidSnakex said:
Yeah it's the Espirit that we've seen in older demos. This is just the first time that it was made playable. Makes me wonder if the McLaren F1 is also playable since it's been shown in different builds but never in playable form.
my pants will explode if we get F1 gameplay its my favourite car..also do you know if the xj220 is a premium? would love to use the cockpit view in it

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Alpha to coverage effects are heavy on fill rate which the PS3 isn't particularly great at (it's RAM intensive I believe) therefore devs often make the effects (here water sprays) much lower res while the human eye can't tell the difference all that much. However, when those effects interact with others, you'll notice a low resolution jaggy effect as it overlays the native res stuff. I think :lol

I'm assuming these effects are rendered on a seperate low res buffer with a low res copy of the depth map...

I've just thought how to reduce the blockiness of this look, by subtracting the low res depth map from the native one to create a mask. It doesn't get rid of all the artifacts but brings back the definition of the sharp edges. Wonder if anyone uses that.

Graphics Horse said:
I'm assuming these effects are rendered on a seperate low res buffer with a low res copy of the depth map...

I've just thought how to reduce the blockiness of this look, by subtracting the low res depth map from the native one to create a mask. It doesn't get rid of all the artifacts but brings back the definition of the sharp edges. Wonder if anyone uses that.

No idea. You know a fuck load more than me. I do remember that this problem arose in early shots of God of War III (the ones of Kratos causing these alpha effects to occur with his blades) which were then not present in the retail version (iirc), so maybe it'll be sorted out by release.

mclaren777

SolidSnakex said:
The problem is that engines sound much different under load. A revving engine while parked will sound much different than a car on a dyno/track. And since PD only records while the cars are stationary...

BeeDog

mclaren777 said:
The problem is that engines sound much different under load. A revving engine while parked will sound much different than a car on a dyno/track. And since PD only records while the cars are stationary...

Shouldn't they be able to just put the engine sounds through some filter of sorts that increase the "oomph"? I'd imagine it's not the most complex process...

Track list so far

2ikxk42.png

Credit to SHIRAKAWA Akira from GTplanet.

It seems like SSR11 is shown in the Red Bull trailer, but people aren't sure yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom