• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 • Coming on PS3 Holiday 2013

JWong

Banned

nib95

Banned

Angst

That is simply not true. In fact I can't even find a single example of it.

Most seem to have sequential sticks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BbYbboVcADg#t=97s

But here is Loeb with fixed paddles for your enjoyment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt7dq3LfkTg

His thumbs wrapped around the wheel like.... a human...

Well:
"Keep your hands light on the steering wheel and your thumbs pointed out so they don't get caught if the wheel suddenly spins."

http://www.carsguide.com.au/tools-and-advice/hints-and-tips/how_to_drive_on_sand

Well:
"Keep your hands light on the steering wheel and your thumbs pointed out so they don't get caught if the wheel suddenly spins."

http://www.carsguide.com.au/tools-and-advice/hints-and-tips/how_to_drive_on_sand
I don't really know why you're continuing to dispute this. It's plain to see in the vast majority of racing/rallying/driving footage. People wrap their thumbs around the wheel. That is how you hold things when you are blessed with opposable thumbs. It looks really weird when you don't do it, and it stands out like... well... a sore thumb... in GT5.

Angst

I don't really know why you're continuing to dispute this. It's plain to see in the vast majority of racing/rallying/driving footage. People wrap their thumbs around the wheel. That is how you hold things when you are blessed with opposable thumbs. It looks really weird when you don't do it, and it stands out like... well... a sore thumb... in GT5.

Maybe you're right, but all my life I've heard rally drivers and race drivers tell people to keep your thumbs outside the wheel at all times, or you'll lose that thumb. Maybe that was before servos though.

velociraptor

Perhaps I am a minority here, but I really would wish that they would release a wireless steering wheel.

The connection between the PS3/4 and the wheel should be completely wireless (bluetooth?).

Steering wheels already require a power output so no need for battery worries there.

I had a DFGT but I deplore a mess of wires. To negate the need of that PS3 - USB - wheel connection would be AMAZING.

Three60

Perhaps I am a minority here, but I really would wish that they would release a wireless steering wheel.

The connection between the PS3/4 and the wheel should be completely wireless (bluetooth?).

Steering wheels already require a power output so no need for battery worries there.

I had a DFGT but I deplore a mess of wires. To negate the need of that PS3 - USB - wheel connection would be AMAZING.

Fanatec GT2 + RF dongle = wireless steering wheel

http://eu.fanatec.com/RacingWheels/Porsche 911 GT2 Wheel EU

http://eu.fanatec.com/RF dongle for Porsche wheels EU

amar212

Sorry to be blatantly against this FOREVER.

Without USB connection there is no USB/HID communication protocol.

Without USB/HID communication protocol there is no direct communication between device (console/PC) and slave (wheel) with proper instructions for non-prescribed input values.

Without direct communication between device and slave with proper instructions for non-prescribed input values you are left in the field of XID-protocol.

And XID protocol - also known as Xinput in variant Microsoft is using it in its SDK environment - is something you don't want to become a standard on your driving simulations.

For more explanation of HID and XID please refer HERE, HERE and HERE.

Thank you for your attention :)

velociraptor

Sorry to be blatantly against this FOREVER.

Without USB connection there is no USB/HID communication protocol.

Without USB/HID communication protocol there is no direct communication between device (console/PC) and slave (wheel) with proper instructions for non-prescribed input values.

Without direct communication between device and slave with proper instructions for non-prescribed input values you are left in the field of XID-protocol.

And XID protocol - also known as Xinput in variant Microsoft is using it in its SDK environment - is something you don't want to become a standard on your driving simulations.

For more explanation of HID and XID please refer HERE, HERE and HERE.

Thank you for your attention :)
I want it as an option - not a mandatory wireless wheel.

Perhaps they can provide a wireless USB bluetooth receiver.

Kaze13

As others have said, there is no one thing. If you would be happy with a text based physics simulator, be my guest. A game with 1 car but awesome physics and terrible sounds and terrible graphics is not really my cup of tea. More power to you if you can enjoy such a simple thing.

It needs to have good and rewarding physics, decent graphics (any game post 2006 is fine for me if the didn't have tearing), good sound, interesting car and track list. Miss any of those, and you are not a game I would call great.

Here's an idea though, how about you respond to me based on what I had already posted, without silly questions to try and justify your narrow view of what is important and what should be important?

I asked a simple question and you come back with this. I said, the most important. As in what would you place on top of a list when it comes to the "Real Driving Simulator." I didn't ask for your thoughts on what a complete package should have.

My response to you is this. The fact that you responded at all to my post means that you probably felt the need to defend the, "they need to fix the sound!" stance. I don't disagree. They do need to fix it. I can complain about it too but you won't see me rehashing the same thing over and over again to get attention. It's annoying.

The funny thing is, I appreciate the myriad of sounds coming from these cars (and bikes). However, when I race or do a trackday, I put on earplugs. When I race online, I turn the sound down a bit. Having it on full blast all the time is kind of annoying over time. Just as aside, all the serious racers I know use earplugs. I wonder why?

I asked a simple question and you come back with this. I said, the most important. As in what would you place on top of a list when it comes to the "Real Driving Simulator." I didn't ask for your thoughts on what a complete package should have.

My response to you is this. The fact that you responded at all to my post means that you probably felt the need to defend the, "they need to fix the sound!" stance. I don't disagree. They do need to fix it. I can complain about it too but you won't see me rehashing the same thing over and over again to get attention. It's annoying.

The funny thing is, I appreciate the myriad of sounds coming from these cars (and bikes). However, when I race or do a trackday, I put on earplugs. When I race online, I turn the sound down a bit. Having it on full blast all the time is kind of annoying over time. Just as aside, all the serious racers I know use earplugs. I wonder why?

A real racer is also exhausted after a race. This is a sim. to replicate the feeling of driving, not the physical exertion it takes. They wear ear plugs because the sound is extremely loud and can actually damage your ears. People want realistic Football games too but they don't want to get head injuries while playing games on the PS3 do they? I'm not sure why you feel the need to excuse it and to tell us about how you play the game. How does that help everyone? Are you suggesting everyone should just turn the sound down so that the quality becomes irrelevant? What's next, telling people to play on a 19" monitor instead of complaining about screen-tearing or if a game is lower than 720p?

Kaze13

A real racer is also exhausted after a race. This is a sim. to replicate the feeling of driving, not the physical exertion it takes. They wear ear plugs because the sound is extremely loud and can actually damage your ears. People want realistic Football games too but they don't want to get head injuries while playing games on the PS3 do they? I'm not sure why you feel the need to excuse it and to tell us about how you play the game. How does that help everyone? Are you suggesting everyone should just turn the sound down so that the quality becomes irrelevant? What's next, telling people to play on a 19" monitor instead of complaining about screen-tearing or if a game is lower than 720p?

You missed the part where I said "I". FFS. Did you miss that? Do I have to highlight it?

Kaze13

I don't think he missed the part.

" I'm not sure why you feel the need to excuse it and to tell us about how you play the game."

I see. So I express my thoughts about how sound affects my play and suddenly this becomes the point of contention. Gotcha. Nevermind the original point. No. Let's not stay there.

I didn't add that part to excuse the lack of sound improvement. No. I just added that in as my personal take on it. I'm still on board with them improving the sound. Tangents abound around here.

nib95

Banned
So do you guys reckon Thrustmaster will release a version of the T500 RS that works on both the 360 and PS3? Because the CSR Elite has been missing from Fanatec's website for ages.

Baleoce

A question that's probably common, but I feel the need to ask.

I want to catch up on this series. Is there any point in me buying GT5, or should I just wait for GT6 to come out now?

Today was a hot day so I spent a portion of it sitting in my basement playing GT4. What a great game, still looks great, and I'd forgotten about a lot of the little things that GT5 lacks- like nitrous.

So do you guys reckon Thrustmaster will release a version of the T500 RS that works on both the 360 and PS3? Because the CSR Elite has been missing from Fanatec's website for ages.

Not a chance. Maybe on the next gen xbox.

A question that's probably common, but I feel the need to ask.

I want to catch up on this series. Is there any point in me buying GT5, or should I just wait for GT6 to come out now?

GT6 isn't coming out until the end of the year, and GT5 can be had for pretty cheap, so there's no reason to wait if you don't want too, but if you only want to buy one version then GT6 is going to be everything GT5 is and much much more.

Dead Man

ROFL.

First, the bold. I was doing you the courtesy of answering your question, and you think that means I was defensive? Hilarious.

I gave you the simplest answer to a loaded question that was possible. If you don't like people discussing the game, go somewhere else.

As for track days, mute the sound if you want the real experience. Spray some water on your face and don some nomex as well. Don't forget to turn up the heat in the room so you enjoy accurate temperatures.

Let me state it simply for you: There is no 'most important part' for a game. None. If a part that is important is busted, the game is busted. But since you want to game with earplugs, I guess you have some unique opinions on things.

Drive on.

I see. So I express my thoughts about how sound affects my play and suddenly this becomes the point of contention. Gotcha. Nevermind the original point. No. Let's not stay there.

I didn't add that part to excuse the lack of sound improvement. No. I just added that in as my personal take on it. I'm still on board with them improving the sound. Tangents abound around here.

Hah! 'I said something and now people are talking about it? What is wrong with everybody?'

Good times :)

Baleoce

GT6 isn't coming out until the end of the year, and GT5 can be had for pretty cheap, so there's no reason to wait if you don't want too, but if you only want to buy one version then GT6 is going to be everything GT5 is and much much more.

Much appreciated thanks. Should I go for the academy edition? Is that the most complete one?

You are not serious, are you?

Oh, yes you are.

Come on.

Have you asked yourself why there are no TOCA, Enthusia, Shift or PGR with us anymore? Why Codemasters decided to listen to Gavin Raeburn in his insane idea to go more "casual" and earn millions in process if heritages of bot TOCA and CMR gets destroyed (did not happen)? Why did Konami decided in the last minute to cut the funding of Enthusia's 900-wheel project and drastically cut the marketing in half? Why did EA decided to stop the development of Shift after both games sold impressive 8M combined on all platforms? Why Microsoft insisted to launch all PGR games in the same time with their Halo games?

What is completely undeserved is how all publishers above decided to treat their franchises. Sales of GT games are all 100% deserved. Especially when you take into concern how they were blatantly underrated by reviews during launch times, especially be US media outlets.

Toca RAce Driver 3 for PSP was simply 1:1 port of PS2/XB/PC game. It has astonishing list of tracks and venues, same as the *big* game. But it was completely non-drivable in Simulation mode (even in other modes) and majority of higher-tier races were hell because of that (races with many laps and homicidal AI). With exception of on-paper content, TRD3 on PSP was not a good game from driving standpoint.

In the same time, GT PSP is perfect hadndheld driving game. It has great physics, totally made to fit portable device (although device itself is not ergonomic enough to justify proper riving, same as Vita IMO) and it has structure made perfect for portable game: self-assigned level of challenge with progress based on previous success, randomised structure of vehicle availability on order to cater "returning to game" procedure and stunning online options for a PSP game. I can accept how many fell short to accept GTPSP as it was, but IMO it is the best handheld racer ever from any point imaginable.

Polyphony did a lot of mistakes with GT in the past years and didnt got any damage for it in terms of sales, i agree that a good part of the fault was the publishers being idiots but come on, if any of those games had the sales they deserve they would be alive, PGR4 deserved lots more sales, its an amazing title, its was a better arcade game than GT5 was a simulator. It was a great game with little flaws.
For Enthusia you mention cutting the 900° wheel support like its a huge feature that make the game deserve to sell like crap, that game was very good and deserved to sell a lot more.

Toca 2006 for PSP was great too, making a 1:1 port for PSP was amazing considering that Polyphony wasnt able to do that with GT, argue whatever you want, GT PSP is a dissapointing cutdown/dumbed port, they removed some of the best elements of GT, i had way more fun with GT2 on my PSP than with GT PSP because i could race with more than 3 oponents, upgrade my cars and have a career mode. It bore me to dead after the driver challenges (or licenses test).
3 cars on track, no customization, no real career mode (as much as you try to spin into something good) made the worst Gran Turismo ever, like i said, the only bad game in the series and it hurt because i got PSP for that game and they spend years making it and kind of fooled us showing us mockups of the UMD at PSP annoucement.

As for GT5, i dont think the reviews were underrated, i got the game since day one and it was a very flawed and unpolished experience compared with usual high standards of Polyphony Digital, maybe you are thinking about what the game it is now, but when was release those review were deserved, PD did a good job working on the game to make it something much better than out of the box.

You make some good points about the publishers, i´ll give you that but i still think those games didnt got the sales they deserved and the last 3 GT games had more than derserved.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

About the videos: I love how the suspension looks, the R8 video is amazing.
My realistic request for GT6 is better audio, i think in a game that looks so good is unacceptable that still so weak in the sound department, they need to fix that because the rest of the track experience is years ahead of the sound department.
For the PS4 version i really think they need to take advantage of the trackpad of the DS4 to use it in a livery editor, it could be as unlimited as Forza vinyl editor but far easier to use and more intuitive, the whole manipulation of the layers with your fingers has too much potential to not use it.

Dead Man

Polyphony did a lot of mistakes with GT in the past years and didnt got any damage for it in terms of sales, i agree that a good part of the fault was the publishers being idiots but come on, if any of those games had the sales they deserve they would be alive, PGR4 deserved lots more sales, its an amazing title, its was a better arcade game than GT5 was a simulator. It was a great game with little flaws.
For Enthusia you mention cutting the 900° wheel support like its a huge feature that make the game deserve to sell like crap, that game was very good and deserved to sell a lot more.

Toca 2006 for PSP was great too, making a 1:1 port for PSP was amazing considering that Polyphony wasnt able to do that with GT, argue whatever you want, GT PSP is a dissapointing cutdown/dumbed port, they removed some of the best elements of GT, i had way more fun with GT2 on my PSP than with GT PSP because i could race with more than 3 oponents, upgrade my cars and have a career mode. It bore me to dead after the driver challenges (or licenses test).
3 cars on track, no customization, no real career mode (as much as you try to spin into something good) made the worst Gran Turismo ever, like i said, the only bad game in the series and it hurt because i got PSP for that game and they spend years making it and kind of fooled us showing us mockups of the UMD at PSP annoucement.

As for GT5, i dont think the reviews were underrated, i got the game since day one and it was a very flawed and unpolished experience compared with usual high standards of Polyphony Digital, maybe you are thinking about what the game it is now, but when was release those review were deserved, PD did a good job working on the game to make it something much better than out of the box.

You make some good points about the publishers, i´ll give you that but i still think those games didnt got the sales they deserved and the last 3 GT games had more than derserved.

Again, I dislike a lot of things about GT5, but what are the alternatives to buy for console that feature the same sort of fidelity with physics and offer track racing? The sales are deserved because they are one of two groups of monkeys offering that style of game on consoles.

Mascot

Just curious: what car(s) (and bikes) do you drive/ride on the track that are so loud you need earplugs in addition to the normal damping you get from a helmet? Nobody I know who tracks their cars or bikes wears earplugs, and some of them have pretty extreme vehicles (911, M3, 360, GT-R etc) while others have supertuned hot hatches. All of these are very loud when thrashed on the track, but none of the owners want to turn down the beautiful audio. In fact, it helps them drive. I'm guessing you must be driving some open-wheel race cars, Formula Fords, Formula 3000s or something?

Kaze13

Just curious: what car(s) (and bikes) do you drive/ride on the track that are so loud you need earplugs in addition to the normal damping you get from a helmet? Nobody I know who tracks their cars or bikes wears earplugs, and some of them have pretty extreme vehicles (911, M3, 360, GT-R etc) while others have supertuned hot hatches. All of these are very loud when thrashed on the track, but none of the owners want to turn down the beautiful audio. In fact, it helps them drive. I'm guessing you must be driving some open-wheel race cars, Formula Fords, Formula 3000s or something?

Normal dampening from a helmet is not enough. On top of the noises from the bikes, you also have wind noise to consider. I do Trackdays with a bike and going on a club race in a couple of months (3rd club race ever). Hope to get into car racing this year too.

I'm surprised that this isn't a more well known practice. You guys have never seen the pros put ear plugs on? Tinnitus is no joke.

Has there been any mention, vague or otherwise suggesting a career mode overhaul?

Well, Kaz said the one word that would describe GT6 is "change". So I guess you could take that as an indication that the GT Mode will receive an overhaul. They're trying to address the major criticisms aimed at GT5, and that mode was one of them. I guess we'll find out more at E3, gamescom or TGS. The good news is that all the GT6 news seems like it'ss going to be packed closely together unlike GT5

May - Reveal
June - E3
July - Demo
August - gamescom
September - TGS

Mascot

Normal dampening from a helmet is not enough. On top of the noises from the bikes, you also have wind noise to consider. I do Trackdays with a bike and going on a club race in a couple of months (3rd club race ever). Hope to get into car racing this year too.

I'm surprised that this isn't a more well known practice. You guys have never seen the pros put ear plugs on? Tinnitus is no joke.

Yeah, used to seeing Formula drivers with earplugs for obvious reasons. At track days with production cars? Not so much. I thought you were talking about racing cars, not bikes. My bad. I've no idea if bikers use earplugs or not. I guess they do, some of those bikes are uberloud.

Well, Kaz said the one word that would describe GT6 is "change". So I guess you could take that as an indication that the GT Mode will receive an overhaul. They're trying to address the major criticisms aimed at GT5, and that mode was one of them. I guess we'll find out more at E3, gamescom or TGS. The good news is that all the GT6 news seems like it'ss going to be packed closely together unlike GT5

May - Reveal
June - E3
July - Demo
August - gamescom
September - TGS

Ah yes, interpreting Kaz' words, one by one, and spinning them around, how it suits us best. How I missed that.

No saladine, we haven't heard anything about the career mode yet, but chances are that we'll hear more during E3.

Ty4on

The physics alone redeem it in my eyes. I mean going from GT4 to GT PSP is a huge step up with RWD cars able to drift naturally and FWD cars suddenly don't oversteer when you apply throttle in a corner. Haven't tried GT3, but GT2 wasn't very good physics wise either forcing me to change my driving style like an arcade game.

It really sucks about the lack of career mode (especially when it's such a small thing), more cars on track and visual bugs in cockpit (drive around the ring and pay attention to the sides), but being able to drift on the go still kind of makes it worth it :p

I've been playing GT5 for the last few days in anticipation, which tracks am I supposed to be appalled that PD included with PS2 level graphics?? I can't work it out?

Apparently Trial Mountain is undriveable or something. Still one of my favourite tracks.

I love trial mountain and don't get the complains. Sure, some textures aren't as high res as they could be, but as long as you can recognize the tarmac, it's fine. I just wish I could drive it during the night.

Dead Man

I love trial mountain and don't get the complains. Sure, some textures aren't as high res as they could be, but as long as you can recognize the tarmac, it's fine. I just wish I could drive it during the night.

That would be awesome. Yeah, I see that it is not up to the same standard as the other tracks, but I don't really care. I won't complain if it is prettier next time, but it's not so bad that it hampers my enjoyment.

amar212

I've been playing GT5 for the last few days in anticipation, which tracks am I supposed to be appalled that PD included with PS2 level graphics?? I can't work it out?

That would be awesome. Yeah, I see that it is not up to the same standard as the other tracks, but I don't really care. I won't complain if it is prettier next time, but it's not so bad that it hampers my enjoyment.

Well, I was saying the same last week - and to celebrate I got this postcard for present from Goldrusher.

amarmjut1.jpg

I still stand by what I've said.

Goldrusher

It's mostly the backgrounds. Very little depth, lots of flat "cardboard backdrops" really close to the track, poor modeling, poor textures. Water especially looks bad.

A few examples...

trialmountaincircuitw0lyp.jpg

vs

l0b0o.jpg

dowk3ezj63.jpg

vs

fpcwpwjjcp.jpg

6219241810_e6bec814cf_b.jpg

vs

6219245246_d250b014a2_b.jpg

trialmountaincircuit_5qakj.jpg

vs