• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 • Coming on PS3 Holiday 2013

Laguna Seca, really? I didn't even notice. Either way, it looks a hell of a lot better than FM4's version. Dat ridiculous bloom.

Trial Moutain just looks embarrassing. :lol Classic track deserves better.

Laguna Seca is the exact same one from GT4. First thing I noticed about it was the grass.

Elios83

The PS2 tracks, Trial Mountain, Laguna Seca etc, need remaking. Simple as that.

QFT.
At least we have seen from the Autum Ring comparison that they're at least retouching them.
But considering that just 7 tracks will be new they should have remade them from scratch....

Goldrusher

I think the GT6 version of Autumn Ring is a good example of how they can take a GT4 track and touch it up enough that it looks perfectly fine within the game. At least from what we've seen of it.

Yep.

A little more depth in the background goes a long way.
Throw in the lower and warmer lighting, and boom, a completely different track and worthy of being called "Autumn Ring".

The old one looked like a "Forgot to Water in Summer Ring".

GT5/GT4 Autumn Ring:

74796891k.jpg

GT6 Autumn Ring:

88326647.jpg

Dibbz

Also the time of day is different. I hope that means we're getting a day night cycle on it.

Hopefully although it would be a weird choice since it seems we may still have a bunch of tracks without ToD changes. Just speculation of course but Grand Valley and SSR5 looked to be sporting the same lighting as GT5.

Speaking off SSR5 I hope the new HDR implementation gives us some really nice sexy nightime feels.

Something like this where you really feel the darkness although obviously not as extreme as this since it's super high contrast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1O0XV-2Djc

as opposed to this which looks pretty flat although again this is an extreme since SSR5 looks much better than that on my setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZsLFPEWr2M

amar212

I know it is blasphemy, but all SS courses should finally come in day variants (daytime change even better).

In GT2 those tracks were set-up at very dusk period and there was sunlight stripe at the reverse horizon. Also, flourescent (blue) balance was better then current street bulb (yellow).. although yellow is more accurate, I concur. And GT3 wet version of SS5 was damn beautiful.

And lastly, original GT1 version of SSR11 with underpass chicane should return, GT4 overpass version is nice but it lacks the main characteristic of the course.

There are only 2 courses from GT1 that are not present in GT5, original normal Test Track oval and SSR11. Both should return ASAP. SSRX is beautiful but useless and SSR11 is the most iconic night course of the series (with Rome Night as runner-up).

Jac_Solar

So, the base game will have 1200 cars, and the DLC will add more? Since they are advertising this, it better have at least 1200 cars, and not 800, or 1000, or 1150, + DLC.

Niks

I think the GT6 version of Autumn Ring is a good example of how they can take a GT4 track and touch it up enough that it looks perfectly fine within the game. At least from what we've seen of it.

Exactly. They dont have to rebuild them from scratch (although that would be nice). Just polish them a bit, add some better textures here and there...

As goldrusher said, the worst offender are the cardboard textures.

has kaz hinted on the robustness of the single player yet, gt6 needs to be packed with events; i need gt4 level at minimum

i know he mentioned soon after gt5 launched that he wished there were more a-spec events and that seasonals were kind of a band-aid to fix that.

BKf9TpJCQAEjVWp.jpg:large

Pic from Lucas Ordonez. He tweeted it last week but it seems it slipped under the radar. Shame we probably won't get that kind of telemetry in the retail version.

Dead Man

BKf9TpJCQAEjVWp.jpg:large

Pic from Lucas Ordonez. He tweeted it last week but it seems it slipped under the radar. Shame we probably won't get that kind of telemetry in the retail version.

It would be nice if they finally understood what information should be on the screen and which shouldn't.

How unreasonable is it to expect different lighting conditions for all tracks? I don't necessarily need a 24h cycle, but driving all tracks during the night or day should be possible.

How unreasonable is it to expect different lighting conditions for all tracks? I don't necessarily need a 24h cycle, but driving all tracks during the night or day should be possible.

I really wouldn't expect it. I think we could see them just change the time of day that we've normally driven on tracks. That's what they seem to have done with Autumn Ring. But then again, maybe they will do time of day selection for all tracks. It'd be very interesting, especially since many of their original tracks were clearly never designed to be driven at night as they don't have any sort of light sources around the tracks. So you'd need your headlights at all times.

I really wouldn't expect it. I think we could see them just change the time of day that we've normally driven on tracks. That's what they seem to have done with Autumn Ring. But then again, maybe they will do time of day selection for all tracks. It'd be very interesting, especially since many of their original tracks were clearly never designed to be driven at night as they don't have any sort of light sources around the tracks. So you'd need your headlights at all times.
I'd accept a track like Fujimi Kaido (incl night version) as an alternative. I know people screamed "STELVIO PASS CONFIRMED" during the GT5 pre-release hype, but that never happened.

Dibbz

One thing they must must include in GT6 is gap between cars in front and behind. It's mind blowing how they still only show the gap between you and the leader, or if you are leading then 2nd place man.

Races would be that much more interesting online seeing someone eat hundreths out of your gap each lap.

Saying that I have no hope they will include it. :(

Niks

I think Grand Valley does have lights? GVS would be a great dusk/dawn track.

On another note, Pikes Peak is coming up (end of june). If the track is indeed in GT6 we might see it after E3.

I'd accept a track like Fujimi Kaido (incl night version) as an alternative. I know people screamed "STELVIO PASS CONFIRMED" during the GT5 pre-release hype, but that never happened.

Still waiting for that track :/ Not that it was ever Stelvio Pass, it was another Eiger track. The lower mountains along the back straight were visible, as was the Grindelwald valley.

From the sounds of it, some of the 19 new layouts must be additions to existing GT5 tracks, but I'm not getting my hopes up for that particular one.

More GT6 footage from 15th anniversary event incoming:
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8496063#post8496063

Jordan also confirmed "Oh, and I did some smoke tests - there was no pixelation.". PD really pushed their engine A LOT - I clearly remember all that talk, that GT5 pixelated smoke/water spray is because PS3 hardware shortcomings and that it`s unavoidable (RSX characteristic). PDmagic strikes again?

The pixelation itself is no sort of gpu characteristic, it's just down to the method they used to draw lots of smoke very efficiently. There are ways to tidy it up, at a cost.

I think Grand Valley does have lights? GVS would be a great dusk/dawn track.

There's a lot of tunnels in Grand Valley so it would work :) I think there's only street lights near and on the bridge section though. Edit: looks like there's some kind of lights occasionally elsewhere and I think those are big floodlights on the main straight?

velociraptor

Day/Night on SSR5 would be so good

Also I don't think I've ever raced on SSR11. It's always been about the Clubman for me.
Day/Night/Dusk/Dawn for all tracks please.

And please do not give me GT5's unrealistic 2 minute sunrises and sunsets.

I don't care much for real time changes, but I would at least love an option for all tracks. I don't think it should be that difficult to implement...

Day/Night/Dusk/Dawn for all tracks please.

And please do not give me GT5's unrealistic 2 minute sunrises and sunsets.

I don't care much for real time changes, but I would at least love an option for all tracks. I don't think it should be that difficult to implement...

Erm... that's up to you to decide. If you want it realistic set they time change to 1:1

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Is it wrong that I'm impressed by leaves on the side of the track? I love leaves, grass, dust, wind, rain, clouds, lightning. This is stuff i crave in sims.

I'd love nothing more than to turn a corner and all of a sudden I can't see an timing because its dusty and I'm driving into the sun.

More GT6 footage from 15th anniversary event incoming:
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8496063#post8496063

Jordan also confirmed "Oh, and I did some smoke tests - there was no pixelation.". PD really pushed their engine A LOT - I clearly remember all that talk, that GT5 pixelated smoke/water spray is because PS3 hardware shortcomings and that it`s unavoidable (RSX characteristic). PDmagic strikes again?

That's all good, but have they got rid of this shit?

granturismo5_18elymf.jpg

granturismo5_28nqnz.jpg

Loris146

Jim, what was your very first encounter with the Gran Turismo series?

Jim Ryan: I was actually a really big Motor Toon Grand Prix fan. I was over in Tokyo at whatever the development studio was called then and someone said “Come and see Kazunori’s new game.” I was used to a very fun cartoony racer and picked up this early version of GT and thought “ahh, it could be very good and technically impressive, and the graphics are lovely, but I’m not sure if this is a good idea. Motor Toon GP was such a great game!”

Clearly I was wrong and Kazunori was 100% right! I don’t think if he carried on with Motor Toon GP we’d be sat here celebrating 70 million units of Gran Turismo sold worldwide…

Graphical fidelity has reached the point where it can be hard to spot major differences from one iteration of a game series to the next. How hard is it to surprise gamers with a title like GT6?

KY: That’s very true. We’ve got to the point where the hardware has matured and it’s really difficult to tell graphically what’s new. Professionals can tell, but a casual game player probably couldn’t. As for GT, we always love new technology; we’re always going to pursue it and implement it, whether it be improving the PS3 version or working on a PS4 version. The key thing with GT6 is the blending of ‘real’ and ‘virtual’ – where something new and interesting will come to life from the merging of two totally different industries. The more you work on that, the more interesting it gets.

It’s not really a matter of lessening the difference between real and virtual. The interesting part of it is when the ‘real’ starts to effect the ‘virtual’, and vice versa. How these different worlds start to affect each other is what we try and work on in GT, and it’s what makes GT so interesting.

GT Academy is an example of that. It’s not really just about developing racing drivers. What’s happening there is that they’re kind of re-defining what a racing driver is. They’re really breaking new ground, and reinventing the system of how the racing world works.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013...nori-yamauchi-and-jim-ryan-on-15-years-of-gt/

Top Bottom