• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Previews

FeD.nL

Thanks for the reply!

Hmmm i have not read too many great things about the g29 (repackaged g27 and so forth). The t150 is between 140 € and 170€, the g29 around 240€. For that money, i could go the extra mile to the t300 and i think beyond 200€ is just too much, as i also would have to get a wheelstand...

Yeah true. I got a very good deal on my g29 when I bought it, but at 240 it's too expensive (bought it for 165). But the t150 is a solid choice to start out with, and you can always upgrade down the line.

Flousn

Yeah true. I got a very good deal on my g29 when I bought it, but at 240 it's too expensive (bought it for 165). But the t150 is a solid choice to start out with, and you can always upgrade down the line.

So waiting for a good deal for the g29 might be worth it?
I´m still a bit undecided if it´s really worth the investment, it´s a pity that i dont know anybody with a wheel to try it out ^^

For anyone picking up a T300, make sure to get a warranty. Lots of horror stories when it first released.

The pedals on mine are getting that brownish rusty look as well. Stunning wheel other than that.

magawolaz

Balancing will be done by PD with their Balance of Performance system. It'll be applied automatically in Sport mode, but I think it'll be available also in other modes (lobbies, arcade?) because you can select "BoP (Oval), or ‘BoP (Circuit)' from a pull down menu in the car settings.

For post launch support I'm expecting free tracks because the current list is very thin (which is a much bigger problem than car list or career mode, but whatever) and surely they don't want to split the userbase...
I'm also expecting car packs done by groups, so something like "Group C cars", "Super GT cars", etc. all with their BoP. Would be even better if there was 1 free car for each group - again in order not to split the userbase with new online events.

Being grouped together doesn't mean anything. Even in real life in real races like F1, LeMans etc some cars are clearly better and faster than the competition due to better engines, suspension, chassis etc. Then you factor in driver talent.

F1 is part of FIA regulation. Every car has to adhere to strict rules and regulations every year. This includes body design dimensions and engine power. The purpose of this is balance and fairness in a race, none of these cars are clearly better. How good an F1 cars reliability and performance is based a lot on skills of the engineering team. Oh and vital milliseconds by driver skill (but that's the same as playing a game).
Some reading:

https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs.html

https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs/Power_Unit_and_ERS.html

https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs/Bodywork_and_dimensions_and_Cockpit.html

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/128512/tech-focus-how-f1-big-three-teams-compare

SliChillax

F1 is part of FIA regulation. Every car has to adhere to strict rules and regulations every year. This includes body design dimensions and engine power. The purpose of this is balance and fairness in a race, none of these cars are clearly better. How good an F1 cars reliability and performance is based a lot on skills of the engineering team. Oh and vital milliseconds by driver skill (but that's the same as playing a game).
Some reading:

https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs/Power_Unit_and_ERS.html

https://www.formula1.com/en/championship/inside-f1/rules-regs/Bodywork_and_dimensions_and_Cockpit.html

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/128512/tech-focus-how-f1-big-three-teams-compare
I am well aware by the regulations, but manufacturers are constantly trying to get ahead of the competition while still sticking to the rules by playing with aerodynamics and power delivery of the engines. Two engines making the same amount of power doesn't mean they deliver the power the same way. See how Alonso couldn't cone close to Vettel and the others this championship, apart from engine failures he simply couldn't keep up.

I am well aware by the regulations, but manufacturers are constantly trying to get ahead of the competition while still sticking to the rules by playing with aerodynamics and power delivery of the engines. Two engines making the same amount of power doesn't mean they deliver the power the same way. See how Alonso couldn't cone close to Vettel and the others this championship, apart from engine failures he simply couldn't keep up.

Very true, which is why I said it's the skills of the engineering team and driver that shave milliseconds off qualifying times for the leader on the track to pole. There are minor differences in design of Redbull to Ferrari, and of course Mercedes in best way they see fit, but there is still no clear better car. Also by that logic, Bottas should be right behind Hamilton, both Mercedes cars same performance, as a Ferrari and McLaren Honda are clearly different according to you. It's down to the the driver and setup they choose for the race in these situations as Vandoorne was far better placed.

GT Sport allows you to to make adjustments for yourl race anyway to make faster lap times, like downforce etc outside of the BOP system. If you're unsure the stuff thats locked is yellow, blue can be changed during qualifying if need be or before, or can save custom sheets.

34017289542_0c94c458b7_b.jpg

34174492005_5319f89b75_b.jpg

Some reading:

I think F1 is perhaps the worst example of a series where "none of these cars are clearly better." Just ask Fernando Alonso :)

Putty

Their ad campaign has started in Europe, just seen a crappy defend your honour ad during F1.

You didn't like the ad for GT6 PS4?! Shocked not shocked.Nice of you to keep everyone up to date though. Not buying it, slag off at every turn, yet still keep us informed of things 8). That's quite an obsession.

Qwyjibo

I moved recently so I just put together my T300 + wheelstand pro again to play some Forza Horizon 3. That just got me more pumped to play GT Sport when it comes out. I really hope this game will be a great overall package (since I have it pre-ordered). Even with Forza games finally coming to PC, the microtransaction horror stories of Forza 7 will probably mean that I'll just stick to GT Sport for the near future.

cooldawn

For post launch support I'm expecting free tracks because the current list is very thin (which is a much bigger problem than car list or career mode, but whatever) and surely they don't want to split the userbase...
I can't see them charging for tracks, especially as they need as many as possible for FIA events.

thelastword

Banned
gts2mxu4x.gif

aXtRXd7.gif
[/QUOTE]
Are these real life footage? My word, never saw the people in the background before and they move so lifelike too.

Man, those 90 days of polish is bringing GTS to all sorts of levels. PD said they never had such time to polish a title and it's showing. This seems to be eclipsing Motorstorm Pacific Rift in the amount of polish it received from demo to final release....

Best looking/most realistic graphics in a racer by far. All they have to do right now is show some weather and ensure the framerate is great..

ATD ladies and gents, like I have been saying ATD....

IISANDERII

I think F1 is perhaps the worst example of a series where "none of these cars are clearly better." Just ask Fernando Alonso :)
Yup. F1 is probably many times more massive than all other FIA sanctioned series combined so it has leverage that other series don't and won't (like Gran Turismo).

Gestault

Two friends who I regularly swap track times with have ducked out on buying this at launch, which is really killing my buzz. It's sort of like a tradition with GT games for us. We don't even really keep in touch all that much in real-life since we've gotten older, but they're so into the racing scene it's kind of been our thing. This is aggravating.

Are they out of their minds? Who are they expecting to sell this wheel to?
It's a direct drive wheel to my knowledge. Direct Drive wheels for PC go for $1000-$1500 right now. More for the hardcore Sim fans.

Edit:
You can buy a driveable, but maybe really old and high mileage car for that price in the UK. Get a real steering wheel and pedals 👌 (and the rest of the car).
I can get a beater in Los Angeles for less than the cost of X1S + Forza 7. What's your point?

Audioboxer

It's a direct drive wheel to my knowledge. Direct Drive wheels for PC go for $1000-$1500 right now. More for the hardcore Sim fans.

Edit:

I can get a beater in Los Angeles for less than the cost of X1S + Forza 7. What's your point?

That post isn't supposed to be taken that seriously lol.

It's a direct drive wheel to my knowledge. Direct Drive wheels for PC go for $100-$1500 right now. More for the hardcore Sim fans.
I am not saying the price point isn’t justified for the hardware. But that price point is for high income hardcore sim racing fans, and those are going to be playing better simulators in very expensive PCs.

I moved recently so I just put together my T300 + wheelstand pro again to play some Forza Horizon 3. That just got me more pumped to play GT Sport when it comes out. I really hope this game will be a great overall package (since I have it pre-ordered). Even with Forza games finally coming to PC, the microtransaction horror stories of Forza 7 will probably mean that I'll just stick to GT Sport for the near future.

FH3 on PC or did you find a way to use that wheel on your Xbox?

Kinda sucks I need to buy a wheel and can't decide to get a PS4 or Xbox compatible wheel.

Gestault

YxhCJAR.jpg

You sure about that? the car seems to go into slow motion as it whips back onto the road as if the video was post processed.

It's edited with a few layers of post-processing by Sunhilegend, including the artificial slow-mo. I love his short-form stuff, but I have mixed feelings seeing it used to promote games "as gameplay." It's like an artistic bullshot. He's got a crazy-good eye for moments, edited or otherwise.

cakely

You sure about that? the car seems to go into slow motion as it whips back onto the road as if the video was post processed.

It's a SunhiLegend gif, made from replay and then edited to add effects like the slow-mo drift.

The dude has got a serious gift for making games look good. Your replays? They won't look like that. :)

Oh then never mind. That's an insane price for a belt drive!

Edit:

My bad!

It's really not when you compare it to something like a Fanatic Clubsport WB V2.5 at $500 where you get no wheel or pedals. The price soon mounts up adding those components. There's a lot of nice features in this wheel & pedal set.
http://www.isrtv.com/thrustmaster/thrustmaster-t-gt-wheel-announced-need-know/

But it is for hardcore sim racers, that's who it's aimed at just like Direct Drive wheels bases which is just another crazy level of cost. DD units are $800-$900 starting price for just a base right now. Though it'll be interesting to see the price on the one Fanatec are working on but I doubt it'll be cheaper than the Clubsport.

Neith

Banned
Probably gonna upgrade to the deluxe. I have so much money in my PSN from getting Amazon orders shipping with slower time. Those free digital dollars are adding up.

onQ123

It is replay from the beta and indeed it is post processed by SunshiLegend in order to create this gif.

It's edited with a few layers of post-processing by Sunhilegend, including the artificial slow-mo. I love his short-form stuff, but I have mixed feelings seeing it used to promote games "as gameplay." It's like an artistic bullshot. They've got a crazy-good eye for moments.

It's a SunhiLegend gif, made from replay and then edited to add effects like the slow-mo drift.

The dude has got a serious gift for making games look good. Your replays? They won't look like that. :)

Ok I just knew something seemed fishy about that gif it looked too professional

Ok I just knew something seemed fishy about that gif it looked too professional
These are 3 GIF's I made from the replays in the beta. No fancy edits/post processing. Only thing I changed was cut the top and bottom off the GIF to give it a wider looking aspect ratio without the replay symbols (it's actually this aspect ratio in replays but with black bars), these are camera angles and shots you'll get from GT Sport during replays. They've probably improved a bit since the beta also.

DirectMagnificentGorilla.gif

SameConcreteAmericanwarmblood.gif

FluidPerkyIndianskimmer.gif

onQ123

These are 3 GIF's I made from the replays in the beta. No fancy edits/post processing. Only thing I changed was cut the top and bottom off the GIF to give it a wider looking aspect ratio without the replay symbols (it's actually this aspect ratio in replays but with black bars), these are camera angles and shots you'll get from GT Sport during replays. They've probably improved a bit since the beta also.

DirectMagnificentGorilla.gif

SameConcreteAmericanwarmblood.gif

FluidPerkyIndianskimmer.gif

Nice

What I find amazing is how many people are just repeatedly acting like the it's an objective opinion that stuff needed to be cut. Phrasing it like "trimming the fat" as though that content is less valuable or was harmful, when that content specifically missing is what people are disappointed with . It really does show it all.

I believe everyone knows this game is going to sell and make back nearly all of its budget at launch. Most of the people disappointed don't want this to be a runaway success after that good launch because they don't want this to be the direction of the series. And you know what's more amazing or rather increasingly frustrating as time goes on, despite a lot of these people not caring about online races at all, I haven't come across a single person yet (I could have missed it, I'm only human) that wanted the online portion to be cut out at the expense of the SP just because they don't care about online whereas the same cannot be said about the defenders of this game in question who more often than not basically end up coming off as "it doesn't matter to me, so it was absolutely the right thing to happen, and others should feel the same or get out"

Also, you can separate the individual components of the game and list out it all you want, same can be done for other GT games in their respective timeframes and could be a bigger list.

Most of the stuff listed is what's expected of a game like (high quality cars, hdr, 4kcb, sound) this in this day and age, it isn't something extra special being accomplished. It also doesn't change the fact that the bulk of the car count is really padded up via different class variants of the same car, basically lots of double and triples. It also doesn't change the fact that out of those 150 missions, a lot are as simple as the really basic license tests like accelerating and braking, and teaching you how to act online. Some are small timed trials of sections of courses which could be as simple as performing a turn within the given time etc etc.,

And again, you seemingly love to go "but what if they add this after" or "what if they add that after" that when PD has made no such statements about expanding or bringing stuff like career back after the game launches. People are right in not giving them the benefit of the doubt. They had 4 years. it is clearly a deliberate decision why they didn't add in a traditional career mode, and if they were planning on adding one they would've talked about it like they have about the cars already. Especially with their recent, very misleading PR-damage control they've been trying to do in regards to the campaign and offline content. Car count and track count increasing, sure, can be expected, but even that's not confirmed to be free at this point. Just that there will be no microtransactions like GT6 that allwoed you spend cash to purchase in-game credits.

The notion of "give them a chance, they could add it later" is a really dangerous one. You reward developers by purchasing a game for what's there at launch and if they have a good track record, what they've promised to release shortly after launch, not on hypotheticals.

Best post I've seen in a GT thread thus far about Sport.

I regret not getting into GT6 now that I know where we are going with the series, but a man had to abandon the PS3 platform after 7 years of abuse with that OS.

Best wishes.

Two friends who I regularly swap track times with have ducked out on buying this at launch, which is really killing my buzz. It's sort of like a tradition with GT games for us. We don't even really keep in touch all that much in real-life since we've gotten older, but they're so into the racing scene it's kind of been our thing. This is aggravating.

I feel like tracking times/stats with the community/friends is what GTS will excel at.

ghibli99

It's edited with a few layers of post-processing by Sunhilegend, including the artificial slow-mo. I love his short-form stuff, but I have mixed feelings seeing it used to promote games "as gameplay." It's like an artistic bullshot. He's got a crazy-good eye for moments, edited or otherwise.
I agree. Not to take away anything from them, since they do look gorgeous, but they are in a way dishonest, creating a greater sense of graphical/stylistic quality that just isn't present when you actually play it. I still love them, but yeah, HZD simply never looked as good when I played it as it did in his gifs. :)

IISANDERII

What I find amazing is how many people are just repeatedly acting like the it's an objective opinion that stuff needed to be cut. Phrasing it like "trimming the fat" as though that content is less valuable or was harmful, when that content specifically missing is what people are disappointed with . It really does show it all.

I believe everyone knows this game is going to sell and make back nearly all of its budget at launch. Most of the people disappointed don't want this to be a runaway success after that good launch because they don't want this to be the direction of the series. And you know what's more amazing or rather increasingly frustrating as time goes on, despite a lot of these people not caring about online races at all, I haven't come across a single person yet (I could have missed it, I'm only human) that wanted the online portion to be cut out at the expense of the SP just because they don't care about online whereas the same cannot be said about the defenders of this game in question who more often than not basically end up coming off as "it doesn't matter to me, so it was absolutely the right thing to happen, and others should feel the same or get out".
Because many(most?) people won't want to play two campaigns so then you have the age old problem of player bases being split. And with the SR system, players are already being split to begin with.
In GT5&6, the online was a sort of end game where people show off the fruits of their collectathon and have a random race around a random track. GTS seems to be aiming for something much more involving and comprehensive than that.

For those of you who want something in the quality range of the G29 but are put off by the price, G27 should be dirt cheap at the moment if you can find them and I've had great success using it on PS4 with a self-built GIMX adapter. The FFB is perfect, just as if it was natively supported, and everything just works. Tried it with F1 2016, Driveclub and Dirt Rally and it's always perfect. I'm assuming that'll be the case with GTS as well since the PS4 detects it as a G29.

Nightfall

Forza 7 may be a fantastic looking game, but it still looks like a game. Somehow gimmicky and like toy cars on a toy circuit. And that's mostly down to lighting.

But GT Sport? Damn, that looks fine as hell. It always astonishes me how realistic the lighting looks in this game. Some replays really feel very lifelike.

If we could have a Forza with the graphics of GT it would probably be the best racing game of all time.

I agree. Not to take away anything from them, since they do look gorgeous, but they are in a way dishonest, creating a greater sense of graphical/stylistic quality that just isn't present when you actually play it. I still love them, but yeah, HZD simply never looked as good when I played it as it did in his gifs. :)

It's only dishonest if it's used to advertise GT Sport by Polyphony, and them saying it's real time.

As it stands, it's just a fan creating GIFs of his favourite moments.

I'm not sure why some of you are so pissed about it really. It's pathetic actually.

Top Bottom