• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero III pricing (ebgames/gamestop)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
AniHawk said:
The PS2 version has a wireless guitar, the Wii version plugs in to the USB port but uses motion controls, the 360 version has downloadable content, and the PS3 version has Dolby Digital 5.1.

well then that's the problem right there isn't it.

wii_in_tv__2.jpg

Saoh

$100??? are they insane?

i'll take an USB guitar if that makes it cheaper.

if it really is $100, they can forget about my money.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AniHawk said:
The PS2 version has a wireless guitar, the Wii version plugs into the USB port but uses motion controls, the 360 version has downloadable content, and the PS3 version has Dolby Digital 5.1.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!? The Wii guitar IS NOT WIRELESS?!?

If there are substantial improvements to the guitar beyond simply being wireless - larger, more weight to it, no more obnoxious fret clicking - I don't mind paying a premium price for the PS2 version. If it's the same guitar only wireless I'll just get disc only. It's really not that big of a deal.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Right, but "they" is Harmonix. We'll see how how Neversoft does.

The average gamer probably isn't even aware Neversoft has taken the reins. I doubt this will have a serious impact on sales unless the game turns out bad.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The Wii version isn't wireless. Like, they couldn't just plug the damn thing into the Wiimote, which already has Bluetooth, not to mention accelerometers for Star Power. Is Activision =\= logic??

Kewk

Banned
I heard it on the internet... IT MUST BE TRUE!!!one!1!! The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!! :lol

kenta

Has no PEINS
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
If the listings would have popped up like this...

Guitar Hero III - $59.99
Wireless Guitar - $39.99

...would anyone be bitching?
Considering I paid $70 for the original, the $10 increase for wireless means I'd expect to pay $80 if they want to force a guitar on me again (which seems to be implied with what little information we have now), so yeah I'd still be bitching

Takuan

I dunno, sounds about right considering the increased number of master tracks in the game. I imagine those cost a bit more to acquire, and the cost gets dumped on us.

Or did you guys all think Activision was just going to do us a favour? :lol

Now that they've bumped up the price, Activision just needs to retcon the entire Guitar Hero experience by adding in a 'story mode', special guest appearances from B-label rockers and to butcher the original Harmonix control scheme and they'll have effectively Tony Hawked the series.

Oh yeah... they also need to ensure previously released controllers won't work in new installments and to release seasonal expansion packs (at $50) every 3 months featuring the older songs to bring the Sims 2 release structure on board for consoles. Well, that, or a bunch of promises of Marketplace content only to shovel out 9 songs for 1500 MS Points and then commence work on GH4's Fall '08 release.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
$99 is very expected, not sure why people are outraged (haven't read the thread yet), but Guitar Hero 2 X360 is $89.99 and that is a wired controller. Guitar Hero 3 is bundled with a wireless controller and wireless obviously will be priced higher than a wired accessory. Anyone expected the game to be priced the same or cheaper than Guitar Hero 2 w/ a wired controller is crazy. Of course the game will be offered stand alone but if it isn't, then that is worth bitching about. $99 GH3 bundle? Not so much. But then again, this is NeoGAF.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
And if there's anything that needs to be bitched about, it's the Guitar Hero 2 bundle pricing. There was a $10 increase for NO REASON. AT ALL. $70 from Guitar Hero 1 to $80 on Guitar Hero 2. Bitch please.

Wario64 said:
And if there's anything that needs to be bitched about, it's the Guitar Hero 2 bundle pricing. There was a $10 increase for NO REASON. AT ALL. $70 from Guitar Hero 1 to $80 on Guitar Hero 2. Bitch please.
I, for one, bitched at that, even though I just bought the standalone disc. I still can't believe 80s edition is sitting at $50. That's ridiculous too. And the PS2 version of GHIII being the same price as the next-gen versions is garbage as well.

Joe Molotov

Wario64 said:

I did my bitching by buying a used copy.

Y2Kev said:
But guitar hero was so much fun. :(

Maybe licensing costs went up for the second.

Wishful thinking.

I bet someone from Activision will see your comment and start using that as an excuse.

$99 isn't bad for the game and the wireless guitar, but what is bad is that (most likely) immediately after the game goes on sale 5 different downloadable packs will be available for the game at around eight dollars a piece.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Activision is just seeing how far they can get you to bend over.

But that doesn't work when there's competition.

This is ****ing funny, though.

Odrion

Banned
If these prices are true, looks like Activision already dropped the ball on this franchise.

Only Rock Band can save us. :[

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I don't get all the Rock Band talk in this thread, as if it's some bright, shiny alternative. Rock Band's entry price is $100 too, and that's if you only get a microphone. To get all the instruments, it's about $300. Its pricing is just as ridiculous.

But I'm not defending GH3's pricing. I can kinda understand the added price for the 360 and PS3 versions, since they have wireless guitars and command "premium" next-gen $60 price tags. But the PS2 should have the same price as the Wii -- $90. What's up with that?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
LOL

everyone getting pissy for for $100 with the guitar accessory but they will pay $100+ for a small ass helmet! :lol :lol

Keep in mind that the PS2 DDR games were sold for $60 MSRP (40 for game, 20 for mat) with a mat bundled. This is a 40 dollar difference and I'm hoping gamers won't put up with this pricing. These are freaking rhythm games, not high-budget multi-year titles and Activision is crossing the line here.

It hurt me to pay 70 for the first, but I did it. 40 game, 30 controller right?

It hurt even more to pay 50 for the stand alone GH2. 50 for game, 30 for controller at the bundled 80 right?

Obviously the 3rd will also cost 50, and I wont do it, nor rock the 80s. I have 80+ songs now, I can wait for a sale.

Its going to kill 1st time buyers + system upgraders though. I have the PS2 version. Say I bought a 360. Why would I pay 100 required to get my guitar 360 experience?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
can you rent GH at blockbuster or hollywood? I wouldnt want to pay that much until i try the game.

Quagm1r3

I'm gonna break the current posting trend and say this is a great deal. GH II was 80 dollars with a wired guitar. And how much are those GH II wireless guitars? 60 bucks? As far as I'm concerned this is an awesome deal.

BigDug13

If this is the result of people wanting more master tracks, that will piss me off. I was perfectly fine with playing a guitar player in an obvious cover band playing songs that sounded like covers. (as long as the vocalist didn't sound like crap like the one for the Nirvana song)

But if master tracks bumps up the price by that much, you might as well get Rockband. At least that way you can get 4 single player campaigns instead of 1, as well as a multitude of multiplayer combinations and coop campains instead of Guitar Hero's guitar vs. guitar and guitar coop w/bass.

Also, how many times are they going to release the games with a forced guitar purchase? By the time this comes out, I'm willing to bet that at least 80% of the buyers will already have guitars. If they once again wait 2 weeks before you can find the game by itself in stores, that's going to piss me off.

If the individual game without guitar is the same $50ish, then I'll probably still get it.

EphemeralDream said:
Keep in mind that the PS2 DDR games were sold for $60 MSRP (40 for game, 20 for mat) with a mat bundled. This is a 40 dollar difference and I'm hoping gamers won't put up with this pricing. These are freaking rhythm games, not high-budget multi-year titles and Activision is crossing the line here.
But gamers love paying premium prices for their entertainment. That's why the PS3 and Xbox360 are leading this generation handily and...

Perhaps they'll just keep playing their copy of Guitar Hero II. It's not like this game needs an annual roster update to be fun, playable and have online opponents ala Madden. It's a completely different breed of title. Will people happily chip out 1/6 the price of a PS3 for more of the same game they already own. I'm not convinced. I'm not even convinced that Rock Band will deliver a 'unique gaming experience'. Time will tell.

Quagm1r3

CajoleJuice said:
I, for one, bitched at that, even though I just bought the standalone disc. I still can't believe 80s edition is sitting at $50. That's ridiculous too. And the PS2 version of GHIII being the same price as the next-gen versions is garbage as well.

Just because it's the PS2 doesn't mean the guitar is any less complicated/expensive to make. Why shouldn't it cost as much as the next gen stuff?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Quagm1r3 said:
Just because it's the PS2 doesn't mean the guitar is any less complicated/expensive to make. Why shouldn't it cost as much as the next gen stuff?

The game itself should cost less. $50 instead of $60.

Top Bottom