• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Hero III pricing (ebgames/gamestop)

ZeoVGM

Banned
B-Rad Lascelle said:
But gamers love paying premium prices for their entertainment. That's why the PS3 and Xbox360 are leading this generation handily and...

Perhaps they'll just keep playing their copy of Guitar Hero II. It's not like this game needs an annual roster update to be fun, playable and have online opponents ala Madden. It's a completely different breed of title. Will people happily chip out 1/6 the price of a PS3 for more of the same game they already own. I'm not convinced. I'm not even convinced that Rock Band will deliver a 'unique gaming experience'. Time will tell.

I have to ask, was there some sort of meaning behind putting the games in bold and italics? Maybe I missed it.

Mudhoney

AniHawk said:
The PS2 version has a wireless guitar, the Wii version plugs into the USB port but uses motion controls, the 360 version has downloadable content, and the PS3 version has Dolby Digital 5.1.
You must know that this information will be taken as fact by hundreds of lurkers and dozens of posters and used for trolling purposes, right? You are an evil man.

but funny

Cruceh

Banned
Mudhoney said:
You must know that this information will be taken as fact by hundreds of lurkers and dozens of posters and used for trolling purposes, right? You are an evil man.

but funny
Shhh, don't ruin it.

M3wThr33

Banned
omg rite said:
I have to ask, was there some sort of meaning behind putting the games in bold and italics? Maybe I missed it.

Maybe he's bored. He should go back to playing on his SONY PLAYSTATION 3 COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM.

Kewk

Banned
It's very funny to me how badly people want to hate just for the sake of hating. You say "I don't care how much rock band is I will pay anything!!!" then some random comes out and says GH3 is going up in price and people are running around like chickens with their heads cut off. DLC comes out people cry about the price. No DLC comes out and everyone cries there is no DLC.

You cannot win on the intrawebz. :lol

M3wThr33

Banned
The price for Guitar Hero went up another $10. There's not a choice to buy wired to save money. Will it be sold without a guitar?
It's the same game people already own the for 360 but all they want are new songs and maybe a wireless guitar later.

Rockband is attempting to be a complete game giving you control of many more instruments. It's much more of a bargain at any price because it's like buying a karaoke game, a guitar game and drum game all in one.

Hell, why is GH2Encore:Rocks the 80s $50 for 30 songs when GH2 has more than TWICE that for the SAME price?
On top of that, why does Rocks the 80s REQUIRE GH2? That's bullcrap.

Kewk said:
It's very funny to me how badly people want to hate just for the sake of hating. You say "I don't care how much rock band is I will pay anything!!!" then some random comes out and says GH3 is going up in price and people are running around like chickens with their heads cut off. DLC comes out people cry about the price. No DLC comes out and everyone cries there is no DLC.

Who are you? Do you really work for Activision? Why not just tell us why it's so expensive, especially on the PS2, or assure us this is untrue? It's not 'some random,' it's Gamestop. They're usually right.

Again, personally I don't care as long as the guitar is of a higher quality and there is a sku for just the game. But your posts in this thread, and your apparent disdain for the 'intrawebz,' have been kinda weird considering your tag.

Kewk

Banned
echoshifting said:
Who are you? Do you really work for Activision? Why not just tell us why it's so expensive, especially on the PS2, or assure us this is untrue? It's not 'some random,' it's Gamestop. They're usually right.

Again, personally I don't care as long as the guitar is of a higher quality and there is a sku for just the game. But your posts in this thread, and your apparent disdain for the 'intrawebz,' have been kinda weird considering your tag.

I don't work for Activision. Mods gave me the title and have been unresponsive in changing it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
echoshifting said:

Uh, no they're not. They do placeholder dates and prices all the time.

M3wThr33

Banned
omg rite said:
Placeholder dates, yes.
But the pricing and existence of SKUs has never been wrong yet, except when it was too LOW.
Trust me. We've all been looking for a reason to doubt Gamestop's database but haven't yet.

omg rite said:

I meant with pricing, not dates. Although I'd say Gamestop is a reasonably good - not at all perfect - predictor of release date and pricing announcements.

AniHawk

schuelma and fifty other people said:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!? The Wii guitar IS NOT WIRELESS?!?

I was responding to davepoobond's "we don't even know what features each version will have" What I listed were the "features" for each game. That was the joke.

zsidane

Kafel said:
Yeah, the Wii guitar is wireless.

Now let's see how it loooks like.
Like a Gibson Les Paul :)
Oh and Slash is in the game, do you know that?
I know that my answer sucks, but the main purpose was to say that Slash is in the game :D

nli10

Buy a real guitar.

Learn to play real songs - no paying extra to get new tracks

Impress real girls...

It's cheaper too
until you actually get the girls then it's far more expensive

Sharp

nli10 said:
Buy a real guitar.

Impress real girls...

It's cheaper too
Gonna call you out on that, no way in hell it's cheaper to buy an actual guitar unless you're getting an absolutely awful one.

nli10 said:
Buy a real guitar.

Impress real girls...

It's cheaper too

See, girls actually like playing Guitar Hero.

nli10

Sharp said:
Gonna call you out on that, no way in hell it's cheaper to buy an actual guitar unless you're getting an absolutely awful one.

Even a £50 guitar is better than a five button keyboard on a stick...

My GF and sister do love guitar hero, but i just can help but feel that all the effort people put into the harder difficulty levels could be better spent. I guess that goes for most of gaming though.

**** that I'm gonna save my money and buy a real electric guitar. :lol

I never got why people play GH. I mean, spend your time and money on a real guitar and bam you play a real guitar.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AniHawk said:
I was responding to davepoobond's "we don't even know what features each version will have" What I listed were the "features" for each game. That was the joke.

Yeah I'm not smart.

zsidane

nli10 said:
Buy a real guitar.

Impress real girls...

It's cheaper too
Stop playing AC, get a real life
Get out of this board, get a real life
:)

ascii42

How could the price of the game increase $20 for the PS2 version.

GH 80s better not be $50. Unless it has more than 30 songs.

ascii42

Klaxon said:

I never got why people play GH. I mean, spend your time and money on a real guitar and bam you play a real guitar.

I play real guitar, usually for over an hour each day.
I also love GHII, I beat it on expert.
I don't see why people assume that people who do one, don't do the other.

nli10

zsidane said:
Stop playing AC, get a real life
Get out of this board, get a real life
:)

Does going to Glastonbury on Wed count? :D

And I really do need a new avatar - I just find a soft toy with an axe the very embodiment of the violent gaming debate.

zsidane

ascii42 said:
I play real guitar, usually for over an hour each day.
I also love GHII, I beat it on expert.
I don't see why people assume that people who do one, don't do the other.
Right, even Slash has beaten the game, and he actually enjoys GH very much!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
kenta said:
Yeah but it's worth it for a game that has four different campaigns and is created by Harmonix rather than someone who's literally trying to cash in and milk it for all it's worth while doing a mediocre job (so far)

$99.99 for the PS2 version is the biggest red flag I've ever seen in gaming

Yeah, 4 different campaigns if you want to spend 200 dollars or more. It makes no difference who is developing GH3. The formula is already established and the new devs aren't going to screw it up. GH3 will be just as good as GH2 with new songs, most likely. That's all I need.

nli10

zsidane said:
Slash won't be there so I guess no :D
You, lucky :)

Just volunteer with one of the many charities that practically run the thing to get guaranteed tickets, and then try to buy them on the day. If you manage then pay to go (this year) if you fail then go with the charity (I went with Oxfam in 2005). Either way you win - you tend to bump into more musicians in the charity camping areas and when working the gates too.

I do enjoy playing GHI/II but have to feel that at what will probably translate to £80 over here i'm not going to rush out and 'upgrade' from the perfectly good versions I have now. And besides, i'm much better at singstar which is in my opinion much better as you actually sing.

Heck if someone could figure out a way to plug an electric guitar into a console and base a Guitar Hero style game around that they'd certainly get my vote.

Klaxon said:

Oh yeah, that's completely easy. I'll go buy a Gibson Les Paul, an amp, cords, picks, case, etc and then instantly start play Freebird with little or no problem when I've never picked up a guitar before.

Seems
totally un
plausible.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Klaxon said:

This is one of the stupidest prevailing arguments in the world. I don't know how many times I've learned it. See, the problem is that there's an assumption here that one hobby, music, is inherently better than another hobby, gaming. It's not my life's goal to play a real guitar. I like games, and GH is a fun one, so I'll play it. If I wanted to play a real guitar, I'd do so.

So Activision is the new EA now? :lol:lol

I swear the fickleness here is just mind-blowing.

Harmonix to MTV = On nooooes!
EA to publish new game = Oh nooooes!
Rock Band = EA rocks!!!!

teruterubozu said:
So Activision is the new EA now? :lol:lol

I swear the fickleness here is just mind-blowing.

Harmonix to MTV = On nooooes!
EA to publish new game = Oh nooooes!
Rock Band = EA rocks!!!!
I don't think anyone is saying EA rocks. They're saying Harmonix rocks. As for Activision, I don't know what they've done for you lately, but for me, I'm going to drown every ****ing person that worked on Spider-Man 3. Drown them in cheap beef gravy.

schuelma

Segata Sanshiro said:
I don't think anyone is saying EA rocks. They're saying Harmonix rocks. As for Activision, I don't know what they've done for you lately, but for me, I'm going to drown every ****ing person that worked on Spider-Man 3. Drown them in cheap beef gravy.

Not really a bad way to go if you ask me..

schuelma said:
Not really a bad way to go if you ask me..
Choking on salty beef run-off until your lungs fill with it seems pretty bad to me, but maybe I should amend my plans? I really do owe them a solid for making such a god damned piece of garbage.

schuelma

Segata Sanshiro said:
Choking on salty beef run-off until your lungs fill with it seems pretty bad to me, but maybe I should amend my plans? I really do owe them a solid for making such a god damned piece of garbage.

Don't get me wrong, that would be pretty rough, but they deserve something far worse than mediocre gravy.

Amir0x said:
Fortunately I don't need the guitar anymore, so I hope the regular version is $49.99 for PS2 and not $59.99.
You and me both Ami, but if they do end up charging $49.99 for Encore: 80's, I'm not real hopeful about getting the same price for the full-fledged sequel.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Well Activision shut down Vicarious Visions in CA, so you'd have to hunt them down in the unemployment line.

tanod

when is my burrito
So, an unproven developer takes on GH3 and copies their formula and adds some songs. This is an expansion pack and a ripoff, at that.

teruterubozu said:
Well Activision shut down Vicarious Visions in CA, so you'd have to hunt them down in the unemployment line.
I was referring to the 360 version of the game done by Treyarch. My understanding is that the bulk of the work done on SM3 Wii/PS2 is credited to VV New York, anyway.

teruterubozu said:
You don't think EA is going to do the same kind of annual milking w/Rock Band?
Come on.
EA's just publishing, so it's not really up to them. It's up to Harmonix/MTV. Will they do annual milking? Maybe.

Madman

Kewk said:

1 dollar a song.

80 for package of Guitar and game.

Intrawebz won.

g35twinturbo said:
LOL

everyone getting pissy for for $100 with the guitar accessory but they will pay $100+ for a small ass helmet! :lol :lol
don't generalize like that. it makes you look stupid.
M3wThr33 said:
Hell, why is GH2Encore:Rocks the 80s $50 for 30 songs when GH2 has more than TWICE that for the SAME price?
On top of that, why does Rocks the 80s REQUIRE GH2? That's bullcrap.
I preordered at GameStop (had credit) and if it stays $50 there but is $40 everywhere else, I'm going to use the $50 credit towards Rock Band. Also, where did you hear that it requires GH2? I know they titled it an "expansion disk" but it should be a standalone game, right?

The most important info that needs to be answered: will the PS3 guitar work with the PS2 games? I want, nay, NEED to be able to play GH1&2 on my PS3.

Top Bottom