• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gurkha ordered back to UK after beheading dead Taliban fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBaird

Banned
Honestly I don't see an issue with this. I could see it being an issue if the guy went around beheading all his kills for no reason or was just trying to piss off the community of which the beheading happened in, but he had a perfectly sound reason for doing it.

The fact is the target was dead, he needed proof and had no other way to achieve his goal than to take the guys head. If he wasn't under fire he would of took the body, but that was not the case and he had to go an alternative route. Would you rather read the title "Soldiers killed while trying to evac the body of a dead target" Or "Gurkha ordered back to UK after beheading dead Taliban fighter". Honestly I'd say the second option is a much better outcome for the soldiers along with their family and friends.

Shaka

evil solrac v3.0 said:
if these afghans are so worried about a fucking warlord and possible terrorist piece of shit, then maybe they aren't worth saving or even appeasing.
:lol Oh you!

Prine

Banned
Masta_Killah said:
Instead of congratulating the guy, they condemn him. They basically are trying to distance themselves from him in order to try to keep a favorable image with the locals. That'd be fine and dandy expect that the guy they killed was an enemy combatant. Any locals who would be upset about it are probably allied with the Taliban. I wouldn't be surprised if the locals were cheering the incident, considering how they've been oppressed by the Taliban for years.

Any humane individual would protest over such actions. We are not Taliban, its simply not a standard we should lower ourselves to. I don't agree with the soldier being disciplined to this extent, when you have genuine cases of war crimes being committed on both sides, but i simply cannot endorse his actions either.

Ghurka soldier should get a slap on the wrist and be done with it.

The bloodlust here is surprising, the enemy would not show the same respect, but its a reminder of what we shouldn't become.

SmokyDave

Trying to fight this war 'nicely' is a waste of time and will cost more lives in the long run. If we're not prepared to get ugly then let's get out.

Prine

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Trying to fight this war 'nicely' is a waste of time and will cost more lives in the long run. If we're not prepared to get ugly then let's get out.

Not really, if we're trying to get locals on our side fighting correctly (not nicely) would be the right course of action. Or we could be ugly and simply drop bombs on locations, with no concern of who we're eradicating.

The people of Afghanistan should clearly see the difference between us and Taliban.

SmokyDave

Prine said:
Not really, if we're trying to get locals on our side fighting correctly (not nicely) would be the right course of action. Or we could be ugly and simply drop bombs on locations, with no concern of who we're eradicating.

The people of Afghanistan should clearly see the difference between us and Taliban.
As far as I'm concerned, the Gurkha was fighting 'correctly'. He accomplished his mission.

The people of Afghanistan do see the differences between us and the Taliban clearly, we let them grow opium. Apart from that, I'd think we both look like brutal, armed occupiers.

methos75

Banned
Prine said:
Any humane individual would protest over such actions. We are not Taliban, its simply not a standard we should lower ourselves to. I don't agree with the soldier being disciplined to this extent, when you have genuine cases of war crimes being committed on both sides, but i simply cannot endorse his actions either.

Ghurka soldier should get a slap on the wrist and be done with it.

The bloodlust here is surprising, the enemy would not show the same respect, but its a reminder of what we shouldn't become.

I am pretty humane I believe, but I see no issue, the guy was dead and really therefore no inhumane act was engaged in.

Empty

evil solrac v3.0 said:
if these afghans are so worried about a fucking warlord and possible terrorist piece of shit, then maybe they aren't worth saving or even appeasing.

yes because how you treat your enemies is no concern of anyone. presumably you have no problem then with the US torturing captured terrorists, and think anyone who does is ridiculous too?

methos75

Banned
What I hate are all the What ifs, such as he should of took a picture, and all this other BS. Has anyone else other than me asctually ever been in combat? Its chaotic and your only thought is to do what is most expiedent and the simplest act to perform, so you can survive. Your not thinking to yourself, should I take a damn pic? Also his culture needs to be looked at, a western mond might think take a pic, but he is a Gurkha and there fore his culture needs to be kept in mind here.

Rubezh

JBaird said:
Honestly I don't see an issue with this. I could see it being an issue if the guy went around beheading all his kills for no reason or was just trying to piss off the community of which the beheading happened in, but he had a perfectly sound reason for doing it.

The fact is the target was dead, he needed proof and had no other way to achieve his goal than to take the guys head. If he wasn't under fire he would of took the body, but that was not the case and he had to go an alternative route. Would you rather read the title "Soldiers killed while trying to evac the body of a dead target" Or "Gurkha ordered back to UK after beheading dead Taliban fighter". Honestly I'd say the second option is a much better outcome for the soldiers along with their family and friends.

This is the voice of pure reason.

methos75

Banned
Empty said:
yes because how you treat your enemies is no concern of anyone. presumably you have no problem then with the US torturing captured terrorists, and think anyone who does is ridiculous too?

I don't, there fucking terrorist and indriscmately kill innocents and would kill everyone of our children if they could, so I have no mercy for them.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
JBaird said:

I agree.

I read about Gurkha years ago and I was very impressed by their capabilities.

The thing they did may be a bit brutal, but it's not like he beheaded somebody who was alive...

methos75

Banned
Empty said:
...yikes.

I don't buy all this feel good, if your kind to them they will mend their ways, win their minds Bullshit, these guys hate us for totally unreralistic ideological reasons and every single thing we do no matter how innocent sets them off, hell opening up a Mcdonalds in Doha to them is a Jihad starting event so why bother with showing mercy where there is none directed towards us. There comes a point where you have to think about yourself, your people your children, your beliefs, your culture, your way of life, etc and do what is best to preserve them. We are at war with a enemy that doesn't see lines in the sand and who think that killing even a innocent child will send them to some type of paradise, how else can you combat something like that, without splitting some hreads and doing whatever you can to make them break and give you what you need? How else can you win, without scaring them in turn and shocking them so badly that they fear fighting us.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
If he's not supposed to be doing that then he's not supposed to be doing that, I just hope he doesn't get too harsh a punishment.

But I'd be lying if I said I feel even remotely bad that this guy lost his head. Taste of your own medicine. We shouldn't be running around doing it but I can't pretend it's gonna keep me up at night.

Krowley

I don't think he should be disciplined. It sounds like he had a justifiable reason under the circumstances, and I think the people in charge should be more supportive of the people on the ground risking their lives in situations like this. This sounds like total politics BS. I know where they are coming from, and I understand the reasoning behind it, but it still sucks balls.

The Taliban should start spreading it around that it's a grave insult to Muslims to shoot/slice/explode them as well. They'd be untouchable.

JBaird said:

Totally agree.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
methos75 said:
I don't buy all this feel good, if your kind to them they will mend their ways, win their minds Bullshit, these guys hate us for totally unreralistic ideological reasons and every single thing we do no matter how innocent sets them off, hell opening up a Mcdonalds in Doha to them is a Jihad starting event so why bother with showing mercy where there is none directed towards us. There comes a point where you have to think about yourself, your people your children, your beliefs, your culture, your way of life, etc and do what is best to preserve them. We are at war with a enemy that doesn't see lines in the sand and who think that killing even a innocent child will send them to some type of paradise, how else can you combat something like that, without splitting some hreads and doing whatever you can to make them break and give you what you need? How else can you win, without scaring them in turn and shocking them so badly that they fear fighting us.

:lol You think brutally killing someone who appose your way of life and ideologies won't spawn 2 in his place?

No, we got ourselves into a war of attrition, this isn't going to be about us killing the right guy and it being all over, this is going to be about decades of our own brand of brainwashing until their ideologies align with ours. Other than that, we (or at least the US) is super fucked - should have never gone to the middle east to fight a terrorist organization, or at least occupied two countries in the process.

xbhaskarx

TelemachusD said:
The Taliban should start spreading it around that it's a grave insult to Muslims to shoot/slice/explode them as well. They'd be untouchable.
:lol :lol

The sad thing is I'm sure many people would accept that.
"It's an insult to their religion / culture, we have to win hearts and minds. Every Taliban you shoot will create 20 more. Just because the Taliban use guns doesn't mean we should stoop to their level, the standards governing our troops ought to be higher. Wooden sticks only."

Empty

methos75 said:

you are not concerned at all about both how useless evidence gained from torture is and basic ethical conduct? i mean i don't think a lack of 'fear' on behalf of potential terrorists is really holding us back in the region, and that if we were to fight with taliban heads stuck on machetes at the end of our rifles, maybe some scary looking black makeup and move forwards waving skull and crossbones flags, we'd suddenly succeed there.

methos75

Banned
Kinitari said:
:lol You think brutally killing someone who appose your way of life and ideologies won't spawn 2 in his place?

No, we got ourselves into a war of attrition, this isn't going to be about us killing the right guy and it being all over, this is going to be about decades of our own brand of brainwashing until their ideologies align with ours. Other than that, we (or at least the US) is super fucked - should have never gone to the middle east to fight a terrorist organization, or at least occupied two countries in the process.

We didn't get ourselves into a war of attrition at all, this hate for the West has been brewing since the Crusades, in fact many in that area just see this as an continuation of the crusades. And I think brutality is something that sometimes is the only answer, I have lived in the Middle East, some of these guys hate us for reasons totally alien to us such as the aboved mentioned we are still in the Crusades mentality. They want to kill western Cilvilzation for the most illogical of reasons such as not being Muslim, for being better educated, I knew one who wanted us all to die because by going to the moon we proved ourself's superior to Arabic culture which according to the Koran is perfection. I think the issue here is that some just do not understand our enemy, like you stated we should of never gone to the Middle East, if not they would of came to us.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Everyone should just follow PETA's standard and bust out the tits when pissed off.

This world would be a better place if all conflicts were handled through use of breasts. Fuck it, I'm going to find me some right now and start this trend. Maybe I'll even get some implants. Bust them out in bar fights and shit, charge a fee for public fondling. Fuck yeah.

methos75

Banned
Empty said:
you are not concerned at all about both how useless evidence gained from torture is and basic ethical conduct? i mean i don't think a lack of 'fear' on behalf of potential terrorists is really holding us back in the region, and that if we were to fight with taliban heads stuck on machetes at the end of our rifles, maybe some scary looking black makeup and move forwards waving skull and crossbones flags, we'd suddenly succeed there.

I think the fact that some state torture doesn't help is BS, from my own expierance I have seen lots of operations in Iraq succeed based strictly on the intel gathered from pretty beating it out of EPWs, so intel gathering in this way is more beneficial at least on the small stage I perform in to be worth pursuing.

xbhaskarx

methos75 said:
this hate for the West has been brewing since the Crusades, in fact many in that area just see this as an continuation of the crusades.

Actually it predates even the Crusades, the Moors occupied Spain/Portugal in the early 700s, and Bin Laden has spoken numerous times about returning "Al Andalus" to the control of a Muslim Caliphate.

methos75

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Actually it predates even the Crusades, the Moors occupied Spain/Portugal in the early 700s, and Bin Laden has spoken numerous times about returning "Al Andalus" to the control of a Muslim Caliphate.

That is true, I think many in the West and here just do not understand why we are hated and think that this is all a result of our present influences in the region, but that really isn't the case, this hate has been building for 1500 years ago and nothing we do is going to erase it.

saelz8

methos75 said:
That is true, I think many in the West and here just do not understand why we are hated and think that this is all a result of our present influences in the region, but that really isn't the case, this hate has been building for 1500 years ago and nothing we do is going to erase it.
You actually think the Taliban (Pashtuns) give a shit about the crusades?

Some of guys are smoking some serious shit.

xbhaskarx

saelz8 said:

Huh? Of course they do. The crusades are an incredibly touchy subject even for many moderate Muslims who oppose terrorism, why would the Taliban not give a shit about it?

Edit, first Google search result:

Mullah Omar condemns American “crusade” in Afghanistan, Palestine

Fugitive Taliban leader mullah Mohammad Omar has condemned a "crusade" launched by the United States in Afghanistan and continued in the Palestinian territories, according to a Monday report in a London-based daily.

methos75

Banned
saelz8 said:

Some of guys are smoking some serious shit.

I don't think, I know, I have set in on their communal tribal meetings and heard their grivances, the Crusades are still a sore spot for many Muslims, even those who are not crazy fundies. Their culture doesn't let things go.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
xbhaskarx said:
Huh? Of course they do. The crusades are an incredibly touchy subject even for many moderate Muslims who oppose terrorism, why would the Taliban not give a shit about it?

Edit, first Google search result:

Mullah Omar condemns American “crusade” in Afghanistan, Palestine

Fugitive Taliban leader mullah Mohammad Omar has condemned a "crusade" launched by the United States in Afghanistan and continued in the Palestinian territories, according to a Monday report in a London-based daily.

I think what he is trying to imply is, they don't actually have any real emotional investment in the results of crusades from hundreds of years ago, but they know to bolster their cause they should care and every chance they get they bring it up.

I don't know if I agree with the sentiment, but that's just what I understood his point to mean.

xbhaskarx

Kinitari said:
I think what he is trying to imply is, they don't actually have any real emotional investment in the results of crusades from hundreds of years ago, but they know to bolster their cause they should care and every chance they get they bring it up.

Right, well no one alive today really has an emotional investment in the crusades, but plenty of radical groups use it as a rallying cry.

Another example: "Muslims Against Crusades" demonstration outside Downing Street in London

itxaka

Defeatist
Wait, doesn't this guys normally carry cameras for this specific purpose?

I can understand the actions, especially in the middle of a firefight with the blood pumping you do what you gonna do.

Still, a poor thing to do, considering that forces there have to show much higher standards in order to not be categorized as beasts. But understandable.

methos75

Banned
itxaka said:
Wait, doesn't this guys normally carry cameras for this specific purpose?

I can understand the actions, especially in the middle of a firefight with the blood pumping you do what you gonna do.

Still, a poor thing to do, considering that forces there have to show much higher standards in order to not be categorized as beasts. But understandable.

Cameras aren't a required part of your equipment package, in fact for us in the US Military, having them on us while on patrol has became a sore spot and many commanders frown upon it because of all the vids and pics on Facebook, Youtube, etc giving away Opertional details

Az

EvaPlusMinus said:
Everyone should just follow PETA's standard and bust out the tits when pissed off.

This world would be a better place if all conflicts were handled through use of breasts. Fuck it, I'm going to find me some right now and start this trend. Maybe I'll even get some implants. Bust them out in bar fights and shit, charge a fee for public fondling. Fuck yeah.

Yesss. Smartest thing said in this thread. I support this 100%.

SmokyDave

RiskyChris said:
Damn this thread got worse than yesterday. Gross, petty people in here.
sanc·ti·mo·ni·ous (sngkt-mn-s)
adj.

Feigning piety or righteousness: "a solemn, unsmiling, sanctimonious old iceberg that looked like he was waiting for a vacancy in the Trinity" (Mark Twain).

I'm just annoyed that guy who asked for proof that beheadings are common and done in public (and in the capital) would let me know he at least took a look at what I posted. I mean I went above and beyond the call with diversity of sources (and even got stats from last year)!

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
The fact that people are supporting the use of beheading because of some 'eye for an eye' ideology is disconcerting. I understand this guy using the method if he didn't know about DNA evidence and did not have a camera, that's okay - tell the guy this is a big no no and entirely unnecessary, and teach him (and everyone else) what to do next time. Whatever. But it seems like some in the thread want people to continue the beheadings out of spite or something - which is a terrible road to travel down.

Seriously, this shit isn't going to be solved through brutality, no matter what you think (methos) - I can't think of a single viable way that brutality is helping anyones cause - use brutality if you have no alternative (I don't know, you're stuck in combat with nothing but a horseslayer or something) but don't use it to intimidate and to avenge - terrible terrible idea.

SmokyDave said:
sanc·ti·mo·ni·ous (sngkt-mn-s)
adj.

Feigning piety or righteousness: "a solemn, unsmiling, sanctimonious old iceberg that looked like he was waiting for a vacancy in the Trinity" (Mark Twain).

I don't get it. This thread is full of people in the past 100 posts going "fuck them, who cares about terrorists, let's get uglier, etc."

Can you explain why you posted a dictionary definition that doesn't describe me at all, because I'm not trying to feign righteousness? I've pretty clearly described my feelings on why we should act the way the UK did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom