• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H3H3Productions |OT| Reppin' the Naysh \//\

Ethan's not wrong. The level of disingenuous identity politics from SJWs definitely had an impact. Hillary lost ~6million dems that voted for Obama during this election. The most enthusiastic movement in the democratic party being smeared as sexist "Bernie Bros" and told to get over it likely played a role.

Btw Ethan never said this behavior represents all liberals or democrats. It's not a strawman. Terms like SJW or "The Regressive Left" refer specifically to a demographic of left wing people. Delineated on the basis of their behavior. The climate during this election was crazy. How many things were inaccurately labled alt right/bigoted in the run up to Trump's win? Off the top of my head: South Park, H3H3, AVGN, Red Letter Media, Bernie Supporters, CBG19, Pepe The Frog and a ton of other shit I'm forgetting rn.

Ethan is correct in pointing that this had an impact.

MUnited83

For you.
You guys need to stop overanalysing a comedy channels views on politics, honestly time to just get over it and move on, every country has had shit leaders, it isn't like it actually matters in the end anyway.

Maybe don't make a video about fucking politics then?

hamchan

You guys need to stop overanalysing a comedy channels views on politics, honestly time to just get over it and move on, every country has had shit leaders, it isn't like it actually matters in the end anyway.

I didn't say not to talk about the video, I said to stop overanalysing it

It's comedy and its made for laughs but everyone is trying to read in for some deeper message, if you want that then go and watch a political news channel or something

1. It matters for a lot of people, don't be dumb.

2. It's clearly not just made for laughs and I have no idea how someone could see it that way. If he doesn't want people to respond seriously then don't put out a political video.

freoleo29

Maybe don't make a video about fucking politics then?
It's topical and pulls in the views (2 of the most important things on Youtube)
EDIT: and his tweet got read out on TV! I mean come on who doesn't want to brag about that!
1. It matters for a lot of people, don't be dumb.

2. It's clearly not just made for laughs and I have no idea how someone could see it that way. If he doesn't want people to respond seriously then don't put out a political video.
Every single video of Ethans are made for Goofs and Gaffs even when he was getting sued, even when he was raising money to help Hugh Mungus, I fail to see why this would be any exception...

Ethan's not wrong. The level of disingenuous identity politics from SJWs definitely had an impact. Hillary lost ~6million dems that voted for Obama during this election. The most enthusiastic movement in the democratic party being smeared as sexist "Bernie Bros" and told to get over it likely played a role.

Btw Ethan never said this behavior represents all liberals or democrats. It's not a strawman. Terms like SJW or "The Regressive Left" refer specifically to a demographic of left wing people. Delineated on the basis of their behavior. The climate during this election was crazy. How many things were inaccurately labled alt right/bigoted in the run up to Trump's win? Off the top of my head: South Park, H3H3, AVGN, Red Letter Media, Bernie Supporters, CBG19, Pepe The Frog and a ton of other shit I'm forgetting rn.

Ethan is correct in pointing that this had an impact.
Yes, but telling people who run the very real risk of getting deported now "lol this happened due to tumblr and sjws" is just fucking embarrassing.

I get his point about liberal smugness about identity politics not helping, but trying to alleviate people's fears through fucking memes and chan language is beyond moronic of Ethan to the extent where I can imagine if it wasn't 1AM himself or at least Hila would've talked him out of recording and posting this.

Like yeah, ALL of what you listed were victims of alt-right attributions at the slightest provocation (I remember CBG19 having someone here laugh that she was getting anti-feminist messages despite being a feminist because she didn't like GB16 as being a particularly nasty, vindictive attack), but like... Who gives a flaming fuck at the moment about any of that in the context of what's going to happen on the world stage? Is Ethan literally so wrapped up in the internet that he can't see world politics beyond YouTube drama?

Yes, but telling people who run the very real risk of getting deported now "lol this happened due to tumblr and sjws" is just fucking embarrassing.

I'm not sure he said exactly that did he? Haven't watched the vid since this morning but I thought he said it played a part. I believe it did play a part and he's hardly the only one to point this out.

However he tried to cheer people up over the election results, and I do believe his attempt was naive, I don't think he's wrong in this point. It doesn't seem you think so either. Also he's not addressing the people who are facing deportation in that instance. He's talking to the people like Laci Green who contributed to the problem. He's saying that they should own their part in this. I don't think he's wrong about that either.

I do actually have family that could possibly be effected by this election. A lot of people deserve to get shit over this and honestly I'm fine with Ethan doling out this portion.

I'm not sure he said exactly that did he?Haven't watched the vid since this morning but I thought he said it played a part. I believe it did play a part and he's hardly the only one to point this out.

However he tried to cheer people up over the election results, and I do believe his attempt was naive, I don't think he's wrong in this point. It doesn't seem you think so either. Also he's not addressing the people who are facing deportation in that instance. He's talking to the people like Laci Green who contributed to the problem. He's saying that they should own their part in this. I don't think he's wrong about that either.

I do actually have family that could possibly be effected by this election. A lot of people deserve to get shit over this and honestly I'm fine with Ethan doling out this portion.
Yeah, I have no idea how he got to that conclusion. He said it was part of why people voted for Trump, and it's probably true.

It wasn't a literal quote, but when his main starting point was "people are leaving the US now" and starts trying to articulate an argument for staying calm with rattling off random internet lingo and dissolving into another "look at this dumb feminist", yes, that's sort of what he's doing to a portion of his audience.

As I said, I get and agree with the intention behind Ethan's point, but it's delivered in an incredibly ham fisted manner. Other's attempts to try and call for calm between sides and even Ethan's original tweet on the result were far more effective. Phillip Defranco for instance, and I usually don't even watch him. Hell, he argued against the same reactionary tweet without just ranting off himself, unlike Ethan.

If you look at my posts in off topic you can see I agree the "every Trump voter is a white supremacist/idiot /sexist/etc." logic is moronic and harmful, but Ethan's approach to countering that liberal rage just feels pointlessly drama-pandering.

Chumley

Banned
Ethan is running his own channel into the ground with his dumbfuck political shit. Yes, calling people cowards because they now feel unsafe in America is a great message. It retroactively makes all of his crusading against assholes on YouTube look calculated instead of real.

Ever since he moved to LA all of his other shit has gotten worse, too. Textbook case of success messing up a good thing.

Maximo

Jesus the comments are cringworthy completely mindless idiots who think Trump is trolling everyone or that the Hamilton was somehow being disrespectful.

Colin.

The new video on Joey Antonio was great. Probably the most I've laughed at one of their videos in months. On an unrelated note, I've got a very big printer for sale. PM me ladies.

Seesaw15

I got what Ethan was saying but he started sounding like an out of touch old man yelling at a cloud when he was wondering why a Star Wars or Wes Anderson video was trending.

Aiii

So not worth it
I got what Ethan was saying but he started sounding like an out of touch old man yelling at a cloud when he was wondering why a Star Wars or Wes Anderson video was trending.

His point was spot on. They aren't trending, they are paid advertisments which aren't clearly labeled as such.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I'm really starting to feel Ethan's frustrations with YouTube. Like, him and Hila do pretty innocuous videos, nothing too over-the-top or vicious, and they're quickly being thrown under the bus. YT is changing quite rapidly, as evidenced by their policy changes over the past several months and recent behind closed doors promotions, etc, and for a comedy channel like theirs that lacks any sort of specific gimmick I think it's probably getting harder for them to keep their little piece of the pie.

I dunno, maybe I'm way off base, but I really hope they can keeps things together.

But I mean for fuck's sake, here's a guy who's landed interviews with Ken Bone, Sam Hyde (Hugh Mungus), and Joey Salads with the simple intent of getting the truth of the matter. And still he's getting strong-armed.

Seesaw15

His point was spot on. They aren't trending, they are paid advertisments which aren't clearly labeled as such.

Here's what Youtube says about Trending Videos

What are "Trending Videos?"

"Trending Videos" are videos that have become popular because they were embedded in the web’s most popular websites and a significant number of people viewed the video externally in addition to on youtube.com.

The Wes Anderson H&M video was viewed over 4 million times in two days and probably shared a ton on Facebook, Reddit and Twitter.

The Moana song was viewed over 2 million times in two days and is coming after the release of a popular film. This is like saying a Frozen video shouldn't be there in 2013.

NLF speaks for itself.

Hell even Philip Defranco is trending right now.

I agree with Ethan that Youtube is weird about stuff but I don't agree that trending is some fraudulent pay to play thing. H3H3 gets consistently high viewership but he isn't making anything that is being shared across the web which seems to be what the trending algorithm weighs more heavily. I'm sure Ethan was trending when he did his vape nation video.

Top Bottom