• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halfway through the year...what's your GOTY so far?

Servbot24

Banned
Close call between Guacamelee and Fire Emblem. Still need to play TLoU. I'm only a few hours into Bioshock Infinite but it's not very fun so far, hopefully it improves.

Salsa

Bioshock Infinite and New Leaf.

Super House of Dead Ninjas is also among the best stuff I played this year.

For me it's a tie between Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem.

My year has already been made and there's still Mario Golf to look forward to

The Last of Us, surprisingly. Runners up are, in no particular order:

Animal Crossing
Bioshock
Fire Emblem

I've enjoyed other games more than these so far this year, but they weren't released this year.

The Last of Us.

Played Bioshock Infinite and thought the original was better. GTA5 may steal the crown.

For downloadables, Guacamelee.

gogojira

It's bad, but the line blurs between 2012 and 2013 games for me because I think an overall lack of interesting titles have released. Wasn't impressed with Infinite, which seems to be a lot of people's go-to GOTY, and I've yet to play TLoU. I love Metroid, so I should probably give Guacamelee a go. Luigi's Mansion 2 was fun but two times longer than it needed to be.

Animal Crossing is fun so I guess maybe that. I'm way more excited for the second half of the year.

You know, I was just thinking about this the other day, and I don't think I've played a single game this year I could even consider goty worthy. Second half of the year better step it up.

The Last of Us or Persona 4 Golden. I'd say P4G as a personal GOTY but it is after all just a rerelease and a late EU release so in traditional voting I would say TLOU.

Follow ups would be DmC and Ni No Kuni.

O.DOGG

CallofJuarez-cover.jpg

The most fun I've had in an FPS in many years. The storytelling is awesome, the voice acting is cool, the graphics are excellent, the gunplay - incomparable.

KorrZ

So far out of all the games I've played this year my top 3 stands firmly as:

1. The Last of Us (GOTF)
2. Metro: Last Light
3. BioShock Infinite

Dethroning TLoU will be a very difficult task. The only games I forsee having a chance are Total War: Rome 2 or GTA V. Though I do always look forward to a surprise so who knows.

I'd like to pick Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken on Vita since it released on that platform in 2013, that's when I first played it. It really resonated with me. I loved it so much. It was like an anthropomorphic, sidescrolling music video version of Half Life 2, Metal Slug, Abe's Oddysee and Mirror's Edge all thrown in a blender.

If not that, then either Blood Dragon or Guacamelee.

I'm sure by year's end it's going to be either Dragon's Crown or Rayman Legends.

chadskin

The Last of Us so far. GTA V and the second season of The Walking Dead will (in all likelihood) be strong contenders in the second half of 2013.

Superflat

Games I finished and really enjoyed this year:

Bioshock Infinite
Tomb Raider
DmC
The Last of Us

Playing but haven't finished (and enjoying a lot):

Fire Emblem Awakening
Metro Last Light

Wanted to play but haven't yet:

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Guacamelee!
Anitchamber

GOTY so far:

The Last of Us

Amir0x

Banned
Nothing is still even close to Antichamber.

I wrote a post on it earlier in the year when someone asked what the GOTY was after the first quarter.

Amir0x said:
But what really restored my faith in gaming recently is Antichamber. Antichamber is a game that I honestly didn't really anticipate before it came out, low buzz and low visibility. But I saw a video and thought it looked neat, puzzles and indie cred. I thought why not?

Let me state right now that all game developers looking to not insult their audience need to play this game from the start to finish. THIS is how you design gameplay. When you turn on Antichamber, what are you greeted with (ok, after the UDK logo) The starting room. The starting room also doubles as your title screen, with a timer that is your goal to beat and the basic controls on the wall. You're never for a second disconnected from the gameplay. You never for a second have some obtuse, irritating tutorial narrator telling you how to solve every fucking bit of gameplay mechanics.

No, Antichamber does something special: It weighs its audience and, *gasp*, decides to respect us!

It doesn't assume Billy Joe or Susie Q are so functionally retarded that drool spills out the corner of their malformed mouths. No, it considers basic facts about human ingenuity and then applies them to how to treat people! It's amazing! Like, did you know that you can learn gameplay mechanics NATURALLY and without any irritation without a single word from any omnipresent asshole in your ear? Oh sure! All it takes is an eye toward understanding visual cues and perspective and redirection. All it takes is allowing people to learn from their goddamn mistakes (or put a better war: learning experiences). A miracle, right?

But ah, questions!

SERIOUS QUESTION said:
"But Amir0x, I'm so dumb I don't even think I could get through a game where some explosion-laden set piece in which I have no input whatsoever is not included... how will I decide how to let the developers play the game for me if they're not playing the game for me?"

Well, the game doesn't let you fall flat on your face entirely. It does have a sort of system of clues, in that there is generally a poster with a little observational riddle that generally makes the most sense after the puzzle is completed. But, you can indeed interpret it and help you get through the early puzzles. But see, even the CLUES aren't just handed to you. The designer suspected that you have brain cells and that you can, in fact, rub two or more of them together at a time!

Everything about this game is a fuck you to modern game design: no ego involved, completely hands off... just brilliant puzzle design and an ever expanded lexicon of creatively inspired solutions that will consistently subvert what your expectations are for a game. Beautiful minimalist art direction that is as entertaining to explore as it is to play. And incentive for replays: no fucking way any of you finish the game in its original goal time, so once you get through the game speed running is an absolute blast.

Antichamber restored my faith in game development.

SO GOTY RANKINGS ->

1. Antichamber
2. Fire Emblem 3DS
3. Rogue Legacy
4. Last of Us
5. Bioshock Infinite

For me, it demonstrated just how far behind most other devs are when it comes to conveyance of ideas to the player without intereference. It is an amazingly liberating experience to play a game that absolutely understands how the human mind works and then actively utilizes that knowledge to consistently subvert the players expectations in the game. it's an astonishing accomplishment for what was essentially only a one man project for the longest time.

katkombat

Banned
The Last of Us

The Last of Us

The Last of Us

The Last of Us

Definitively The Last of Us - before that, it was Bioshock: Infinite.

last of us

The Last of Us

The Last of Us

Probably a tie between Fire Emblem: Awakening and The Last of Us. Not sure which one wins out for me. I've played an obscene amount of FEA and I have sort of gone from loving it to hating it at the same time. I guess I played way too much of it. I'm still pretty fresh off my TLoU playthrough, so maybe if I play it again at the end of the year I'll see if it still holds up in my mind. But man, both are fantastic games.

The Last of Us...

The Last of Us

Had you asked me 2 weeks ago it would have been Guacamelee!

The Last of Us.

The Last of Us.

Honorable mention to Fez (PC)

"Halfway through the year...what's your GOTY so far?"

Or

"So here's an easy way to see who hasn't played The Last of Us."

The Last of Us

The Last of Us.

Animal Crossing is my most played by far though.

The Last of Us. With Infinite being a close second.

The Last of Us.

The Last Of Us followed by Metro 2033 Last light. Getting a new 3ds xl with New Leaf next week so that might change.

Bioshock could have been it but it was just way too boring to play.

Last of Us, closely followed by Bioshock Infinite.

I can't believe there are people not picking The Last of Us.

This is not up for debate, people.

<3

Overall GOTY so far
The Last of Us

GOTY PS3 edition:

The Last Of Us

GOTY 3DS edition:

Fire Emblem: Awakening

GOTY Vita edition:

Guacamelee

GOTY PC edition:

SC2: Heart of the Swarm