• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 and Xbox line up for the rest of this generation...

Topher

Gold Member
From both camps the next game that I know of that I am looking the most forward to is Wolverine but that gives me concerns with the direction that game may take

For overall most wanting to try GTA 6 but literally everything else

Bored Gilligans Island GIF by TV Land Classic

I'm hoping Wolverine is a linear action game at this point. Laser focused on Logan kicking ass without out all the nauseating side mission bullshit.

As far as "everything else", what I don't know is more than what I do know.

vivftp

Well if we're doing lists, here's my guesstimate on how the rest of the gen can play out for PlayStation first party, XDEV, SIE published, indie and third party console exclusive content. Keep in mind this doesn't include additional content that'll come from the Hero Projects, there'll be tons of PSVR2 content, and no doubt more partnerships that aren't factored in.

Any game in the list could slip to a different year, the main point is to illustrate how dense I think the rest of the gen will be.

2024:
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
MLB24
Destiny 2 The Final Shape
Concord
Helldivers 2
Foamstars
Little Devil Inside
Baby Steps
Pacific Drive
Team Asobi game
Rise of the Ronin
Spider-Man 2 DLC
Stellar Blade
Lost Soul Aside
Convallaria
TLOU Part 2 PS5/PC
Final Fantasy 16 (one or both DLCs)
DS2
God of War rumored DLC/smaller game
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Project Mugen

2025:
Wolverine
MLB25
Marathon
Neil Druckmanns game (new IP)
Fairgame$
Bluepoints game
Horizon Online game
Cory Barlogs game (new IP)
Twisted Metal
Destiny 2 post-The Final Shape content
Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster
London Studios live service game
Project Ooze
One of the two game-type metaverse titles Jim Ryan mentioned
Bloodborne PS5/PC
Neon Koi's game
Phantom Blade Zero

2026:
Insomniac MP game
Spider-Man smaller title ala Miles Morales (probably Venom)
MLB26
Ghost of Tsushima 2
Housemarque new IP
TLOU Online
Media Molecules next game
Uncharted (ND/VASG collab)
KOTOR
Bend new IP
Gran Turismo 8
Dark Narrative from Firesprite
Horizon 3
Final Fantasy 7 part 3
Ember Lab XDEV game
Sumo Digital game

2027:
God of War next mainline entry
MLB27
Havens next game
Ratchet & Clank sequel to Rift Apart
From Software XDEV game
Ghost of Tsushima Legends 2
Team Asobi game (another one)
Ballastic Moon game
Project Awakening
Spider-Man 3

2028:
TLOU Part 3
MLB28

Last edited:

T0minator

I mean the guy randomly put Spyro for 2024 so it's not perfect, but not necessarily biased against Microsoft.

For a big game, i'd definitely trust Sony more to release a game we've never heard of in a relatively short period of time.

For Microsoft there are so many games that they announced when nothing was done, it's definitely the way they like to do things for some reason.
Thanks, you're right obviously it's all guess work and completely just based off typical develop times. Spyro has a strong possibility of coming out next year and even being announced at TGA, time-frames add up

Bend Studios started development on their game in 2019, one of their employees stated games take "5 years to make" so I'll just go with next year being the year we either see it or they release it

TOW2 when it was announced admittedly in the trailer they said they haven't even started development yet. They're still working on Avowed, they're not a HUGE team. If they're going for roughly the same size game as the original then I'd say maybe 2026, but 2027 is a safe bet.

I get the feeling I'm not way off on any of those I listed

Thanks, you're right obviously it's all guess work and completely just based off typical develop times. Spyro has a strong possibility of coming out next year and even being announced at TGA, time-frames add up

Bend Studios started development on their game in 2019, one of their employees stated games take "5 years to make" so I'll just go with next year being the year we either see it or they release it

TOW2 when it was announced admittedly in the trailer they said they haven't even started development yet. They're still working on Avowed, they're not a HUGE team. If they're going for roughly the same size game as the original then I'd say maybe 2026, but 2027 is a safe bet.

I get the feeling I'm not way off on any of those I listed
Bend studio was a support studio in the years following Days Gone. They didn't start development on their new IP until 2022. It's definitely not coming this year and probably not either anyways.

Sony has a decent 2024 lineup, especially if you include the exclusivity of FF7 Rebirth. Combine that with Rise of the Ronin and DS2 as the other big singleplayer titles and Helldivers 2, Fairgame, and Concord for GAAS games

Also, GOT2 should be 2025. 2027 would be crazy. 7 years between releases would worrisome. I know Sucker punch released DLC for GOT, but doubtful they need more than 5 years for a sequel

Last edited:

T0minator

Well if we're doing lists, here's my guesstimate on how the rest of the gen can play out for PlayStation first party, XDEV, SIE published, indie and third party console exclusive content. Keep in mind this doesn't include additional content that'll come from the Hero Projects, there'll be tons of PSVR2 content, and no doubt more partnerships that aren't factored in.

Any game in the list could slip to a different year, the main point is to illustrate how dense I think the rest of the gen will be.

2024:
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
MLB24
Destiny 2 The Final Shape
Concord
Helldivers 2
Foamstars
Little Devil Inside
Baby Steps
Pacific Drive
Team Asobi game
Rise of the Ronin
Spider-Man 2 DLC
Stellar Blade
Lost Soul Aside
Convallaria
TLOU Part 2 PS5/PC
Final Fantasy 16 (one or both DLCs)
DS2
God of War rumored DLC/smaller game
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Project Mugen

2025:
Wolverine
MLB25
Marathon
Neil Druckmanns game (new IP)
Fairgame$
Bluepoints game
Horizon Online game
Cory Barlogs game (new IP)
Twisted Metal
Destiny 2 post-The Final Shape content
Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster
London Studios live service game
Project Ooze
Bloodborne PS5/PC

2026:
Insomniac MP game
Spider-Man smaller title ala Miles Morales (probably Venom)
MLB26
Ghost of Tsushima 2
Housemarque new IP
TLOU Online
Media Molecules next game
Uncharted (ND/VASG collab)
KOTOR
Bend new IP
Gran Turismo 8
Dark Narrative from Firesprite
Horizon 3
Final Fantasy 7 part 3
Ember Lab XDEV game
Sumo Digital game

2027:
God of War next mainline entry
MLB27
Havens next game
Ratchet & Clank sequel to Rift Apart
From Software XDEV game
Ghost of Tsushima Legends 2
Team Asobi game (another one)
Ballastic Moon game
Project Ooze
Project Awakening

2028:
TLOU Part 3
MLB28

That's an impressive list of guesses you have there, most of wish are primarily somewhere in the ball park. I get ppl on here are gonna respond with "bUt tHaTs sO DuMb!! y R U lisTiNG gAmES nOT ANnounCed!"

That's the whole point of this thread, what do we think the rest of this gen looks like based off of rumors, job listing, and history.

That's an impressive list of games you were able to list off there, that's kinda what I was going for when I made my list. Xbox im sure has just as much, PS works with partners a bit more, which is smart

Pelta88

This feels like a stealth “Wait till” thread. I mean, the last we heard of Everwild the devs were saying they have no idea what the ip actually is but yet…

Last edited:
MS keeps adding more studios but at the same time it feels like the list of games is the same or the same amount… Why i that?

Feels like the MS curse is real 💀

MS has more studios but Sony has bigger studios (more teams per studio). They also have XDEV for 2P stuff (1P/3P codevelopment/cofunding projects).

It's got to the point where you have to do this for unannounced games now?

Damn, it's relentless.

Remember: Sales, discounts, Black Friday, trade-ins, gifting, tax returns, Christmas...

..these things simply do not exist.

Somehow.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Looks like a healthy lineup to me, I’m out on call of duty but in for the rest of the games I expect AAA from SONY.

twilo99

Flight Sim as well. The 2024 version has apparently been indefinitely postponed, but that is probably a good thing because MS have just ran the current one into the stratosphere (literally) with constant support, free meaningful add-ons and massive well designed and implemented content updates on what was already an amazing game.

Right, another project they’ve completely ruined forever.. they just can’t manage anything these people. One has to wonder how the whole company actually stays afloat

I am looking forward to Team Asobi and Bluepoint next games. Those companies are still (hopefully) outputting games based on solid good old gameplay.

Not interested in the slightest to those big story driven games anymore particulary when they are starting to push their marxist agenda. God of War Ragnarok will probably be the last Sony AAA game I bought at launch.

Wait, is this a Gaf user riffing off of THE Gif?

So far at least, Xbox’s projected lineup actually looks more appealing if all of those actually ship this gen.

I'll admit MS's lineup has a lot of variety, but most of that variety came through spending ~ $80 billion. It's not like Sony doesn't have variety tho, and most of that is either from in-house teams or 3P partnerships, without spending even 10% of what Microsoft has (and, so far, getting better results).

Tho I would 100% like Sony to do more in terms of 1P AA traditional titles again. The 3P stuff like Stray and Kena are neat, but I'd love to see them bring some of that in-house and leveraging legacy IP. Nostalgia can be very powerful when used correctly. MS does seem to have more going on the AA side of things...but I can't trust them whatsoever to deliver on most of their software promises.

And that's the biggest problem with Microsoft: a bunch of names and promises but very little in terms of substantial results. Sony have been a lot more consistent with results and that will most likely continue into the future. Though, they are taking a gamble with the GaaS titles. I hope they really are internally restructuring that approach, a "less is more" philosophy works best (with more genre variety too which would never hurt).

Quasicat

I’m a huge Double Fine fan and I really want to see the new IP-2025. It also has me concerned because I feel Tim Schafer will be retiring soon with nobody looking like they are taking the helm.

Gojiira

iHWlMq5.jpg

Xbox hasn't had the most appealing line up so far this generation, sales pretty much reflect that, but it will get better in the next couple years. These are all my guesses based on rumors and typical develop time-frames. There's some games of the year potential in the future.

3LktNjL.jpg

PlayStation 5 is a bit harder to predict, but based off of rumors and development cycles that's what I came up with. Im probably way off on most of these but I kind of feel like I'm not. The line up looks great for both brands

Do you all feel that the next 3-4 years of this generation will have some real GOTY contenders from both brands? What games are you all looking forward to the most from each publisher?
Missing Bluepoints 2 projects, and games like Stellar Blade which are published by Sony.
Honestly I think the PS5 lineup will be pretty great, Santa Monica having a new ip is pretty hype, Naughty Dog maybe releasing Savage Starlight finally, Asobi making a full game, Bluepoint releasing something of their own design. Their tight lipped now but theres a lot of possibility.

T0minator

Spyro? I can't find much info on the webs.
I don't have much info other than the fact that it's Spyro's 25th anniversary this year. A tease or reveal sounds reasonable.

Pretty much the point of this thread is to shut people up about any console "not having games" there's plenty of exclusives from here on out. Xbox and those days are over now, finally

kiphalfton

After Psychonauts 2, I don't really have any hype for anything from Double Fine.

I always wanted Psychonauts sequel, but when we finally got it it was a bit of a letdown. Mainly because they nerfed the powers.

Other than that, everything looks pretty "meh".

I'm expecting Hellblade 2 to be a Sony wannabe; prioritizing presentation over fun.

Then there's GoT 3, Horizon 3, GoW 3, TLOU3. Man it is going to be a stale couple years where all the games feel samey.

Perrott

Gold Member
Year 2024
Year 2025
Year 2026
Year 2027
Year 2028
January
The Last Of Us Part II Remastered
(Naughty Dog)
Fairgame$
(Haven Studios)
Project Bates
(Ballistic Moon)
Ni-Oh III
(Team Ninja)
PlayStation IP sequel
(Bandai Namco)
February
Helldivers 2
(Arrowhead Game Studios)
Marvel's Wolverine
(Insomniac Games)
Live-Service Game
(Insomniac Games)
Project Gummy Bears
(Bungie)
March
MLB The Show 24
(San Diego Studio)
MLB The Show 25
(San Diego Studio)
MLB The Show 26
(San Diego Studio)
Horizon III
(Guerrilla Games)
MLB The Show 27
(San Diego Studio)7
MLB The Show 28
(San Diego Studio)
New God of War
(Santa Monica Studio)
April
Rise of the Ronin
(Team Ninja)
New IP
(FromSoftware)
New IP
(Santa Monica Studio)
May
Horizon: Zero Dawn Remastered
(Nixxes / Guerrilla Games)

New Wipeout
(SEGA)
Marvel's Spider-Man 3
(Insomniac Games)
June
Stellar Blade
(Shift Up)
Horizon Online
(Guerilla Games)
The Last Of Us Part III / Factions
(Naughty Dog)
Days Gone Remastered
(Bend Studio)
July
Bloodborne Remastered
(Nixxes)
Ghost of Tsushima II DLC
(Sucker Punch Productions)
August
Marvel's Spider-Man 2 DLC
(Insomniac Games)
New Astro-Bot
(Team Asobi)
Project Heartbreak
(Firesprite)
Gravity Rush Collection
(Bokeh Game Studio)
New IP
(London Studio)
Remake (Ico?)
(Nixxes)
September
Concord
(Firewalk Studios)
Rise of the Ronin DLC 1
(Team Ninja)
Marathon
(Bungie)
New IP
(Bend Studio)
New IP
(Ember Lab)
New IP
(Naughty Dog)
October
God of War: Ragnarök standalone expansion
(Bluepoint Games / Santa Monica Studio)
New IP DLC
(FromSoftware)
Twisted Metal
(Firesprite)
Gran Turismo 8
(Polyphony Digital)

New IP
(Media Molecule)
New Ratchet & Clank
(Insomniac Games)
Destiny 3
(Bungie)
November
Death Stranding 2
(Kojima Productions)
Rise of the Ronin DLC 2
(Team Ninja)
Ghost of Tsushima II
(Sucker Punch Productions)
Project "Ooze"
(Housemarque)
New Uncharted
(Naughty Dog / Creative Arts Development)
PLAYSTATION 6 LAUNCH
(Bluepoint Games)
(Firesprite)
(Haven Studios)
(Team Asobi)
December
The Last Guardian Remastered
(Nixxes)

Im only hyped for Stellar Blade and Phantom Blade 0!
First party sux imo, 99% of the games are pure garbage...

Thank god third party games exists!

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Why is this an image and not just text in your post?

In any case, looking forward to some more PS5 reveals.

Humdinger

There are a few games on each console that I'm looking forward to -- Avowed, Indiana Jones, and Fable on the MS side, and the new IPs from ND, Bend, and SSM on the Sony side.

When I say "looking forward to," I just mean looking forward to hearing more about.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

It's got to the point where you have to do this for unannounced games now?

Damn, it's relentless.

For someone that seemingly can't afford both consoles and is actually on the fence on which to buy based on game output, this is pretty friggin relevant.

Last edited:

GHG

For someone that seemingly can't afford both consoles and is actually on the fence on which to buy based on game output, this is pretty friggin relevant.

It's not.

But some people want any excuse to shill a rental subscription service, even for games that don't have a confirmed existence, nevermind not knowing whether or not they will even be worthy of your time.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
From both camps the next game that I know of that I am looking the most forward to is Wolverine but that gives me concerns with the direction that game may take

For overall most wanting to try GTA 6 but literally everything else

Bored Gilligans Island GIF by TV Land Classic
I'd really like a sequel to either Infamous (traversal and lighting with ssd and raytracing would probably be gorgeous) or Ghost of Tsushima(it really showed how to do the ubi formula but in a good(looking) way, they really nailed the atmosphere)
Otherwise a sequel\dlc for god of war and of course Wolverine, I hope that they will keep the gore of Xmen origins Wolverine, that game was really good and a real surprise to me (even moreso considering the movie it's inspired from).

Edit: Oh and 2 bonus from fromsoft would be Bloodborne 2 but the one i'd want the most is 3D Dot Game Heroes 2 for those that don''t know it go play it it's a great hidden gem from the ps3, do it Fromsoft even with a little team, I'd take it.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

When it comes to Xbox I'm interested in Avowed, anything Tango-related, Fable, that Clockwork game that was announced at the MS show and whatever Double Fine is cooking up. Not sure about Hellblade 2. The last two showings have been pretty underwhelming. Haven't played the first either.

On Playstation I'm looking forward to FF 7 rebirth, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Granblue Fantasy, Phantom Blade (if it's not vaporware), Cory's new IP, whatever ND is doing (except GaaS trash), Death Stranding 2 and Bluepoints new game.

That's all I can think about now. But I'm not too worried about the future. There have been so many good releases recently I'm having a hard time catching up.

DavidGzz

It's not.

But some people want any excuse to shill a rental subscription service, even for games that don't have a confirmed existence, nevermind not knowing whether or not they will even be worthy of your time.

Yes, it is. If Sony had the same set up, you'd be singing its praises and so would I, plain and simple.

Last edited:

Fredrik

It's not.

Why is it always shilling? Is it not allowed to simply like subscription services now?

I have bought one MS game the last 5 years or so, Starfield, on Steam. The rest has been played through Gamepass. I don’t even understand why people here are so against subscription libraries. I like it simply because I can try everything and see for myself if it’s for me or not, goes for any platform, when I buy games I have to trust reviews and usually only buy 8+/10 games and even then I often wait for sales. It’s no different than music and TV shows for me and I really don’t want to go back to buying music CDs and TV show boxes.

Plus, most games I only play once anyway so why would I prefer buying them? Waste of money tbh at least if I go in day 1. Games like Elden Ring, Starfield, Zelda BOTW, Cyberpunk, No Man’s Sky etc giving me 200+ hours of game time is a rare thing at least for me.

Last edited:

T0minator

Why is it always shilling? Is it not allowed to simply like subscription services now?

I have bought one MS game the last 5 years or so, Starfield, on Steam. The rest has been played through Gamepass. I don’t even understand why people here are so against subscription libraries. I like it simply because I can try everything and see for myself if it’s for me or not, goes for any platform, when I buy games I have to trust reviews and usually only buy 8+/10 games and even then I often wait for sales. It’s no different than music and TV shows for me and I really don’t want to go back to buying music CDs and TV show boxes.

Plus, most games I only play once anyway so why would I prefer buying them? Waste of money tbh at least if I go in day 1. Games like Elden Ring, Starfield, Zelda BOTW, Cyberpunk, No Man’s Sky etc giving me 200+ hours of game time is a rare thing at least for me.

Sub services are a great option, I just wouldn't want it be the standard and eventually the only option. Budge numbers for games will lower and the incentive to release quality games will also lower.

Why would any studio try to create a game that will go above and beyond if sales numbers will be affected by most people renting the game for a bit. Hitting those 10+ million in sales is rare for a game in a sub service day 1

Roberts

Pardon my bias, but holy baby Jesus, Xbox list look so much more interesting to me and my gaming interests. Now let’s hope most of them actually turn out great.

GHG

It's shilling because it's got absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Yes, it is. If Sony had the same set up, you'd be singing its praises and so would I, plain and simple.

You've got to be fucking kidding me. My views on these rental sub services are universal (which even extends across TV/movies) and I haven't even had a basic PS plus subscription in well over a year now.

But yes please, more sales pitches guys. I'm itching to pre-purchase a 2025 gamepass subscription for unannounced 2025 new IP and unannounced 2025 co-op game.

DavidGzz

Yep. So many titles collecting digital dust that I spent way too much on. I'll never touch 95% of them after the credits roll and even far before that with some of them. From Software games are about the only exception.

Fredrik

Sub services are a great option, I just wouldn't want it be the standard and eventually the only option. Budge numbers for games will lower and the incentive to release quality games will also lower.

Why would any studio try to create a game that will go above and beyond if sales numbers will be affected by most people renting the game for a bit. Hitting those 10+ million in sales is rare for a game in a sub service day 1
Games shouldn’t need 10+ million sales. The AAA equation is broken if that is needed. Returnal sold like a million and it’s imo Sony’s best game and Housemarque is still around. I played it through PS+. Perfect example for me where subscription services is great, I don’t buy roguelikes, can rarely finish those very difficult games so it’s just a waste of money, but it was ”free” so I played it anyway and it turned out as my favorite on PS5 (when cloud save scumming).

T0minator

Games shouldn’t need 10+ million sales. The AAA equation is broken if that is needed. Returnal sold like a million and it’s imo Sony’s best game and Housemarque is still around. I played it through PS+. Perfect example for me where subscription services is great, I don’t buy roguelikes, can rarely finish those very difficult games so it’s just a waste of money, but it was ”free” so I played it anyway and it turned out as my favorite on PS5 (when cloud save scumming).
As generations continue on games will unfortunately cost more and more to make, especially as the fidelity gets better. Sub services can never meet the value those budgets are hitting.
I'm talking way out into the future, subscription services arent going to be great for studios getting a return on their investments

Fredrik

As generations continue on games will unfortunately cost more and more to make, especially as the fidelity gets better. Sub services can never meet the value those budgets are hitting.
I'm talking way out into the future, subscription services arent going to be great for studios getting a return on their investments
I think they need to find ways to make it work because that future is going to happen. And the general consumer is going to prefer that over buying individual games just like with movies and tv shows and music.
I guess one solution could be what MS are doing with early Premium editions on big releases. Easy money from the enthusiast crowd and they get the monthly subscription money too. Keeping DLC out of the subscriptions and have more DLC is another option.
The industry will find a way. Some will hate it. Some will think it’s great.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Nothing of interest on either side to me other than the stealth co-op game, Indiana Jones, Fable, Wolverine, and maaaaayyyybbeeee Doom Year Zero.

Wolverine is what I'm currently looking most forward to, but it's also what I'm most worried about considering the agenda ridden writing of Spidey 2.

I'm hoping Wolverine is a linear action game at this point. Laser focused on Logan kicking ass without out all the nauseating side mission bullshit.

As far as "everything else", what I don't know is more than what I do know.
:pie_thinking:

What if Wolverine was built like a Ratchet and Clank game, with him traveling across multiple cities/states(assumedly chasing after someone/something) and being able to explore reasonably sized biomes?

Topher

Gold Member
:pie_thinking:

What if Wolverine was built like a Ratchet and Clank game, with him traveling across multiple cities/states(assumedly chasing after someone/something) and being able to explore reasonably sized biomes?

I like that. Lots of different environments. Kind of like God of War 2018 as well.

Little Mac

Gold Member
What if Wolverine was like the OG God of War games and there's a boss fight where he, in a complete feral state, climbs up and decapitates a sentinel.

Homer Drool GIF

They are going to turn it into another Last of Us type game

Top Bottom