• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 and Xbox line up for the rest of this generation...

T0minator

iHWlMq5.jpg

Xbox hasn't had the most appealing line up so far this generation, sales pretty much reflect that, but it will get better in the next couple years. These are all my guesses based on rumors and typical develop time-frames. There's some games of the year potential in the future.

3LktNjL.jpg

PlayStation 5 is a bit harder to predict, but based off of rumors and development cycles that's what I came up with. Im probably way off on most of these but I kind of feel like I'm not. The line up looks great for both brands

Do you all feel that the next 3-4 years of this generation will have some real GOTY contenders from both brands? What games are you all looking forward to the most from each publisher?

ManaByte

Gold Member
This generation is going to 2028 at least. If not 2029. You can't count 2020-2022 as part of it due to the cross-gen glut. We only truly started to see people abandoning the previous gen at the start of this year.

Hell, it could go even longer as the Switch 2 can extend it further. With that console being able to be close to PS4 in power, you'll see even more cross-gen style development as people want that Nintendo money from the 100s of millions the console will sell.

draliko

This is why I totally lost interest in game announcements... Before playing something I got excited for, years will pass... Those release dates are getting ridiculous...

some big names under microsoft but names means nothing. microsoft will ruin all those franchises bceause they have no idea how to manage studios to create great games. doesnt matter about the bullshit pr about them giving freedom to developers. its a lie. they will meddle and fuck it all up. they have years and years of history backing that up. history only repeats itself.

same goes for sony. the last time they were this successful, the PS3 launch happened. if they get too cocky, the same thing could happen again. its already starting. sony are coasting and getting lazy.

Last edited:
Something people are unaware of his how many projects xDev has on the go. They have an enormous production list.

They'll comfortably release more games than Sony's named teams this gen.

For example Project Bates, Project Carbon, Project Red etc are all missing off that list.

Last edited:

hinch7

Only really looking forward to like 2 games on that list... which are Wolverine+ND new IP, and both are at least a couple years out.

What a poor generation from 1st party for both companies. Especially Xbox. Most of the big hitters are probably ready by the very tail end or by the time the next Xbox is out.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I've said it before but this console generation has been terrible so far. Blame it on Covid or the endless pursuit of bigger and better graphics that lengthens development time.

Regardless, thanks for the list. I'm on the fence between an Xbox Series X and a PS5 Slim. I need to decide by tomorrow morning.

I can't decide atm. Trying to pick the console with the least amount of fomo.

I'm used to xbox, like the hardware, and somewhat familiar or excited for more games on the xbox side of the list, and I love the idea of gamepass, but the quality of xbox software released in 2023 was poor and xbox fans have been dragged through the dirt the past year. I wish Series consoles got more exclusives tailored to the hardware like PS5. Had a Series S but sold it a month ago thinking I was going to upgrade to a Series X on Black Friday. Then Sony announced a new PS5 Slim ...

I've read somewhere that Sony is outselling xbox like 2:1 globally, and the that gap seems to be growing, so I feel like like it's safe to say that more big games will be headed towards PS5 going forward. Sony has released some quality timed exclusive stuff for the PS5, even though alot of it was cross gen stuff. Some of it looks gorgeous. My biggest issue, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the big tentpole PS5 games/franchises are very similar to one another.

Last edited:
I've said it before but this console generation has been terrible so far. Blame it on Covid or the endless pursuit of bigger and better graphics that lengthens development time.

Regardless, thanks for the list. I'm on the fence between an Xbox Series X and a PS5 Slim. I need to decide by tomorrow morning.

Trying to pick the console with the least amount of fomo.
Do you want a company that uses sentences like 'adorable all digital future' or one that releases good games? 2 years ago I would have recommend Xbox. Now no way. Get a PS5. Remember that you choose a eco system as well.

kyussman

Yea,I think I'll be sitting this one out.....there are a couple of unknowns that could wake me from my gaming slumber but I'm not dropping money on hardware for a few games.I really want the new Stalker to be special but who knows what shape that game will ship in given the circumstances of it's development.The one elephant in the room for me is Death Stranding 2.....I really loved the first one a lot and want to play it but I ain't buying a PS5 for one game.....I guess hopefully I could play it next gen on a PS6 but will next gen deliver games that will get me hyped to game again....I'm not optimistic.

i really don't think god of war 3 will still be this generation and the new ND singleplayer game/IP in 2025 sounds very optimisitc
I think it has a good chance. They've been working on it assumingly since 2020, and Naughty Dog are pretty efficient developers. They have 2 full teams. So I don't think Factions struggles should have impacted development on the new IP too much.

Agree with GOW3. That will probably be a cross-gen game next generation. I think Corey Barlog's game is 2026 at the earliest

Also, we don't know what Xbox will do with future Blizzard GAAS games. They have several deep into development. It will be curious if they make those exclusive

Last edited:

T0minator

Can't deside. Trying to pick the console with the least amount of fomo.

I'm used to xbox, like the hardware, and somewhat familiar or excited for more games on the xbox side of the list, and I love the idea of gamepass, but the quality of xbox software released in 2023 was poor and xbox fans have been dragged through the dirt the past year. I wish Series consoles got more exclusives tailored to the hardware like PS5. Had a Series S but sold it a month ago thinking I was going to upgrade to a Series X on Black Friday. Then Sony announced a new PS5 Slim ...

I've read somewhat that Sony is outselling xbox like 2:1 globally, and the that gap seems to be growing, so I feel like like it's safe to say that more big games will be headed towards PS5 going forward. Sony has released some quality timed exclusive stuff for the PS5, even though alot of it was cross gen stuff. It still looks pretty. My biggest issue, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the big tentpole PS5 games/franchises are very similar to one another.

You really can't go wrong with a PlayStation, Sony historically supports their consoles to the vet end of their life cycle. There's always a healthy cadence until the very end. MS trends to cut their generations short to jump straight into the next generation. They've shown most of their cards for this generation already, we're just waiting for gameplay footage for each of their games

Astray

Gold Member
Where exactly did the OP get Spyro 2024? AFAIK, there's literally zero leaks about it.

Toys for Bob just shipped Crash Team Rumble, a game that completely flopped btw.

Chukhopops

Lmao at those date estimates on each side, holy bias.

Do you really think The Outer Worlds 2 is going to release in 2027 ? Didn't know Fable had already been postponed to 2025 too.

Completely ridiculous.

You know what, with the number of studios MS now own... I was expecting MS's list to be a lot longer.
Acivision studios are mostly COD studios at this point. Then you have games like Project Dark being developed by a new studio and Crystal Dynamics that just lost 10% of their workforce. Elder Scrolls 6 was announced with a CGI trailer when it wasn't even a game yet.

I also don't see Kojima's MS game coming out in 2025 when Death Stranding 2 doesn't even have a 2024 release date confirmed at this point (even though it's almost sure coming out next year).

Power Pro

What your list completely ignores is 90% games made in Japan, and honestly, that's a good 70% of the games I play. Seriously, I think the only one is Death Stranding 2. Soo....your list doesn't mean shit to me. Still plenty for people like me to play, because I still think Japan makes some of the best games in the world.

ungalo

Lmao at those date estimates on each side, holy bias.

Do you really think The Outer Worlds 2 is going to release in 2027 ? Didn't know Fable had already been postponed to 2025 too.

Completely ridiculous.
Fable for 2025 seems completely fair lol. Did Microsoft really ever give you a reason to be so optimistic about their schedule ? Their games take forever to release.

TOW in 2027 would be very long but not impossible.

Chukhopops

Fable for 2025 seems completely fair lol. Did Microsoft really ever give you a reason to be so optimistic about their schedule ? Their games take forever to release.

TOW in 2027 would be very long but not impossible.
The first Outer Worlds took 3 years to make and started with a very small team, there's little chance the sequel will take more than 6 years, 6 years is somewhere between "large AAA" and "dev hell" territory.

On the other hand you have Bend's new game in 2024 despite not even the game's name being known, let alone any release date or gameplay.
GIF by Jason Clarke

ungalo

The first Outer Worlds took 3 years to make and started with a very small team, there's little chance the sequel will take more than 6 years, 6 years is somewhere between "large AAA" and "dev hell" territory.

On the other hand you have Bend's new game in 2024 despite not even the game's name being known, let alone any release date or gameplay.
GIF by Jason Clarke
I mean the guy randomly put Spyro for 2024 so it's not perfect, but not necessarily biased against Microsoft.

For a big game, i'd definitely trust Sony more to release a game we've never heard of in a relatively short period of time.

For Microsoft there are so many games that they announced when nothing was done, it's definitely the way they like to do things for some reason.

twilo99

some big names under microsoft but names means nothing. microsoft will ruin all those franchises bceause they have no idea how to manage studios to create great games. doesnt matter about the bullshit pr about them giving freedom to developers. its a lie. they will meddle and fuck it all up. they have years and years of history backing that up. history only repeats itself.

Absolutely agree! All you have to do is look at Mojang.. they absolutely destroyed that studio and Minecraft is awful now. Does anyone even play it? It’s def super low “engagement” game thanks to Microsoft.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
I'm sure there are more announcements to come.
Been hearing that for past decade or so… maybe i’m just ultra bored with western gaming as whole, specielly when other factors gets to be more important then trying to make every game as fun or engaging as possible.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Absolutely agree! All you have to do is look at Mojang.. they absolutely destroyed that studio and Minecraft is awful now. Does anyone even play it? It’s def super low “engagement” game thanks to Microsoft.
Flight Sim as well. The 2024 version has apparently been indefinitely postponed, but that is probably a good thing because MS have just ran the current one into the stratosphere (literally) with constant support, free meaningful add-ons and massive well designed and implemented content updates on what was already an amazing game.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I remember vividly back in 2017 looking forward to the last few years of PS4 knowing all the awesome games that were coming. Miss that.
From both camps the next game that I know of that I am looking the most forward to is Wolverine but that gives me concerns with the direction that game may take

For overall most wanting to try GTA 6 but literally everything else

Bored Gilligans Island GIF by TV Land Classic

Top Bottom